BMPCC4K Lens Adapters

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

rafibaby

BMPCC4K Lens Adapters

PostMon Jun 27, 2022 3:15 pm

Greetings

Our church uses a BMPCC4K. We were donated a Canon Zoom Lens 75-300 EF III. However, the BMPCC4K is a MFT and the lens is EF. They don't match. I have already researched the Metabones Canon EF to MFT-T Lens Adapter 0.58x for Blackmagic Design Super 16 Cameras. The Metabones website states that it is not compatible with the BMPCC4K. It is also too expensive for our church to afford. Can someone please recommend an economical lens adapter that would adapt the Canon Zoom Lens 75-300 EF III lens to the BMPCC4K camera successfully?

Thank You
Rafael Vazquez

Brad Hurley

Re: BMPCC4K Lens Adapters

PostMon Jun 27, 2022 3:28 pm

rafibaby wrote:Greetings
I have already researched the Metabones Canon EF to MFT-T Lens Adapter 0.58x for Blackmagic Design Super 16 Cameras.

You should not look at any of the Super 16 Metabones adapters; those are for the earlier generation of Pocket and Micro Cinema Cameras, which had smaller sensors than the BMPCC 4K.

The Metabones adapters and speedboosters for Blackmagic Design MFT-mount cameras are all listed here; you want the ones that specifically say they are for the BMPCC 4K:

https://www.metabones.com/products/?c=blackmagic-MFT

Your next decision is whether to just get a simple adapter (e.g., https://www.metabones.com/products/deta ... EF-m43-BT2) or a speedbooster (e.g., https://www.metabones.com/products/deta ... EF-M43-BT9). The speedbooster will reduce the crop factor and increase the effective aperture of the lens, but it's a lot more expensive. There are much cheaper simple adapters available if you want to go that route; probably Fotodiox has an affordable EF to MFT adapter but I'm not sure if aperture control and autofocus would be available.

If you don't get a speedbooster, just be aware that the "crop factor" of the camera's sensor will effectively make this a 150-600mm lens. In any case (speedbooster or not) you will need a very steady tripod to use this lens. If it were me I'd consider selling the lens and using the money to buy something more useful for video, unless you actually need a very long telephoto zoom for your church.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Zweistein

PostMon Jun 27, 2022 4:13 pm

Also consider a Viltrox speedbooster. They provide similar if not same quality as the Metabones for a fraction of the cost. There are some comparision/test videos out there. The criticized aspect of the Viltrox over the Metabones is that there is a tiny bit of wiggle between the adapter and the camera's mount. But to be honest I never understood that critique, because the Viltox comes with a support bracket, which, if screwed on the camera's cage, eliminates any wiggling.

Link: https://viltroxstore.com/collections/sp ... m43-camera
Cinematographerwww.janniktesch.comwww.sensorsizes.com
UMP 4.6K G1 6.9.4 – PCC4K OLPF 8.1 – Resolve Studio 18.6.5 – macOS 14.4 – MacBook Pro 2023, M2 Pro, 14"
EIZO CG247XUltraStudio Monitor 3G 12.5 – Micro Panel

dondidnod

PostMon Jun 27, 2022 4:46 pm

Javier Forza said:

"Viltrox work Iris with latest firmware 3.6 and latest Beta Firmware for BMPCC4k

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=142665

The things not working are lens stabilization and autofocus. BM team are working in a solution.
If you want Viltrox fully working only Firmware 2.3 for the adapter and 6.96 for BMPCC4k."

Re: Viltrox not working on BMPCC4K

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=145947&p=782333&hilit=+3.6+latest+Beta+Firmware+for+BMPCC4k+#p782333

r/bmpcc Can´t adjust Aperture w BMPCC 4k + Viltrox ef-m2 - Sigma 18-35…

https://www.reddit.com/r/bmpcc/comments ... trox_efm2/

r/bmpcc Canon 10-18 Image Stabilization not working on Viltrox EF-M2II BMPCC4K

https://www.reddit.com/r/bmpcc/comments ... orking_on/

Brad Hurley

PostMon Jun 27, 2022 4:53 pm

dondidnod wrote:The things not working are lens stabilization and autofocus. BM team are working in a solution.
If you want Viltrox fully working only Firmware 2.3 for the adapter and 6.96 for BMPCC4k."

I'm pretty sure the Canon 75-300 EF III has no internal stabilization, at least not based on the specs I read on the Canon site. I guess the gyro functionality in the new firmware could help with that, but at any rate even on a good solid tripod I'd worry that a lens this long could result in shaky footage, including from floor vibrations from people walking around, depending on how the church floor is constructed and where the tripod is placed.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

javier forza

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 12:52 am

@dondidnod

at the end of the post you added here and in reedit, I wrote:

Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:23 pm

I can confirm new Camera 7.9 on BMPCC4k has better focus than the related in this post.
And gyro data works absolutely astonishing.

Viltro EF MII-2
Canon 40 mm 2.8
Canon 24-105 F4

Thanks Blackmagic Team.

;)

Rrrbbb

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 9:59 pm

The Viltrox efm2 has been excellent for me with Canon L lenses. Aperture and stabilisation work perfectly with recent camera and adapter updates. I also have access to a Metabones at work, it’s also great but see very little optical difference between them.

rafibaby

PostMon Oct 17, 2022 3:29 am

Okay Guys:

Thank You very much for all of your advice. The Viltrox EF MII-2 Adapter worked like a charm. I really appreciate your assistance.

Thank Again
rafibaby

Return to Cinematography