Focus + Start/Stop Record recommendations for shoulder rig

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

austinjberenyi

Focus + Start/Stop Record recommendations for shoulder rig

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 4:54 pm

Do Blackmagic or this community have any solid recommendations for start stop record and/or focus solution for a shoulder rig?

I'm currently using a BMPCC 6K Pro on a SmallRig shoulder mount with a Sigma 18-35, and sometimes a Canon 70-200 2.8 L.

I've seen a few bluetooth modules recommended on YouTube, but they seem cheap, and I worry about future support for the products.

Zweistein

Re: Focus + Start/Stop Record recommendations for shoulder r

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 7:22 pm

I am using the Tilta Nucleus-M. The Handgrips have focus knobs and R/S-Record buttons. But the latter only work, if you purchase this cable extra (does not come with Nucleus-M): https://tilta.com/shop/nucleus-m-run-stop-cables/

Make sure it's the USBC-Port Version of the cable (SKU: RS-01-USBC).
Cinematographerwww.janniktesch.comwww.sensorsizes.com
UMP 4.6K G1 6.9.4 – PCC4K OLPF 8.1 – Resolve Studio 18.6.5 – macOS 14.4 – MacBook Pro 2023, M2 Pro, 14"
EIZO CG247XUltraStudio Monitor 3G 12.5 – Micro Panel

Di2ifter

PostMon Jun 27, 2022 6:32 pm

Zweistein wrote:I am using the Tilta Nucleus-M. The Handgrips have focus knobs and R/S-Record buttons. But the latter only work, if you purchase this cable extra (does not come with Nucleus-M): https://tilta.com/shop/nucleus-m-run-stop-cables/

Make sure it's the USBC-Port Version of the cable (SKU: RS-01-USBC).

Would I be able to just buy the Nucleus-M Handle Grip (Left) and connect that directly to the camera using the USBC Port Run/Stop Cable and be able to use that solely for start/stop without having to use the nucleus-m control system at all?

Zweistein

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 8:19 pm

Di2ifter wrote:Would I be able to just buy the Nucleus-M Handle Grip (Left) and connect that directly to the camera using the USBC Port Run/Stop Cable and be able to use that solely for start/stop without having to use the nucleus-m control system at all?

You don't want to use the follow focus system / motor, right? Just start/stop REC with the left handle?
I can test that tomorrow and then tell you.
UMP 4.6K G1 6.9.4 – PCC4K OLPF 8.1 – Resolve Studio 18.6.5 – macOS 14.4 – MacBook Pro 2023, M2 Pro, 14"

Mike Potton

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 9:09 pm

Honestly buy or rent an Ursa Mini Pro if you want to shoot from the shoulder, it's designed for it.

Rigging the pockets for shoulder use is a world of pain, they just aren't designed for it and before you know you have a franken-rig that's usually more trouble than its worth.

They are however brilliantly designed to be held in front with all controls accessible from the righthand grip. Grab the EVF for a third point of contact and your'e set to go. If you don't want to use the EVF there are some great ultra cheap shoulder supports that place the camera in front that can be used as well.

De-rig your camera, use it as its designed and you will find it's a pleasure to shoot with.

Zweistein

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 9:49 pm

Mike Potton wrote:Honestly buy or rent an Ursa Mini Pro if you want to shoot from the shoulder, it's designed for it.

This sounds like gatekeeping in the disguise of advice to me, to be honest.
There probably is a reason OP doesn't own/rent the URSA line.
Yes, the Pocket line is not designed for shoulder work. But with a little bit of thought and testing you can make a good functioning shoulder rig for it.

Mike Potton

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 10:57 pm

Sorry, not trying to step on toes, it’s just rigging for shoulder involves powering and wiring a hdmi based evf and some kind of finicky Bluetooth grip for limited control. The reality is you already have a fantastic monitor and grip on the camera, just use those!

if you have a pocket all rigged up, I urge you to de-rig it, put in an internal battery (I get 1:10 runtime from each canon lp-e6NH) and enjoy the freedom, intuition and speed using the camera as intended. It will feel like a breath of fresh air.

If you do need a shoulder rig, this 50 dollar job does the trick, seriously. It’s ergonomic, stable and let’s you use the camera as intended. What more do you need?

0A3C4CD5-33E7-43D0-A3B2-53D6B683741F.jpeg
0A3C4CD5-33E7-43D0-A3B2-53D6B683741F.jpeg (42.29 KiB) Viewed 1561 times

I own an Easyrig, Zacuto shoulder kit, Tilta shoulder kit, a bunch of EVF's, a bunch of handles including the Portkeys. Iv'e tried every combo under the sun to get the pocket on shoulder and hands down the most intuitive way to shoot with a pocket I've found is just handheld or with that 50 dollar piece of genius crappy plastic... it's gold!

If you do need or want to shoot from the shoulder all rigged up then you bought the wrong camera, sell the pocket and buy a second hand ursa mini pro, it’s what it’s designed for.

I also own a C300mkii, don't get me started on the ergonomics of that camera... ;)

Ellory Yu

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 11:21 pm

Don’t spend that $50 dollar on that piece of junk. It’s made of plastic and is guaranteed to break after a single use.

Since you already have a smallrig shoulder rig, and I assume you have the rosette grips, you can replace the right hand grip with this:

https://www.amazon.com/SmallRig-Rosette ... deae8f9840

I have used a Sony LANC stop/start before and they usually work with the BMD cameras. If it doesn’t work, then just return for a refund.
Last edited by Ellory Yu on Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Mike Potton

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 11:25 pm

You would think they are junk, but they are surprisingly resilient, which is why they have been in market for 10+ years. But yeah use whatever you need to get the camera in-front, something metal if you can find it, hell a neck strap held taught works a treat.

Mike Potton

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 11:34 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:I have used a Sony LANC stop/start before and they usually work with the BMD cameras. If it doesn’t work, then just return for a refund.

The pockets don't have a LANC port.

Ellory Yu

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 11:42 pm

Mike Potton wrote:You would think they are junk, but they are surprisingly resilient, which is why they have been in market for 10+ years. But yeah use whatever you need to get the camera in-front, something metal if you can find it, hell a neck strap held taught works a treat.

I had 3 of these… all broke in a matter of weeks. Here’s proof from a box that still seats around my store room.
E2B3D176-0A28-4EDC-9C62-4430321CAA01.png
E2B3D176-0A28-4EDC-9C62-4430321CAA01.png (563.79 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Ellory Yu

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 11:44 pm

Mike Potton wrote:
Ellory Yu wrote:I have used a Sony LANC stop/start before and they usually work with the BMD cameras. If it doesn’t work, then just return for a refund.

The pockets don't have a LANC port.

Bummer. You’re right. I used it on the OG Pocket.

Ellory Yu

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 6:36 am

Around 8 post above, someone suggested not to rig the pocket for shoulder use. That was a good suggestion. With the pocket, it’s always good to have the camera in front of you. There are many solutions to this from something cheap to one as expensive as an easy rig system. I suggest not to spend time looking for a start/stop trigger but to think of having that pocket in front of you and not on your shoulders. Also think about a gimbal/stabilizer solution as well like a DJI Ronin or the like that can carry the pocket camera. There’s a number of them. Check this link out for a cheap vest that you can hang the gimbal. I think the price will be in your ballpark.

https://www.proamusa.com/products/gimba ... st-support

This is not an endorsement and I have not tried this product, although I have used an EasyRig with a RS gimbal and pocket 6K before.

Here’s a bit more expensive but probably a bit more robust.

https://www.amazon.com/DF-DIGITALFOTO-S ... B08885C8M8

Good luck!

Zweistein

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 10:38 am

Di2ifter wrote:Would I be able to just buy the Nucleus-M Handle Grip (Left) and connect that directly to the camera using the USBC Port Run/Stop Cable and be able to use that solely for start/stop without having to use the nucleus-m control system at all?

I just testet it and it works :-)

Di2ifter

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 10:19 pm

Zweistein wrote:

I just testet it and it works :-)

That is awesome to hear! Thank you so much for testing that out. I think I'll go this route for a remote start/stop solution simply because the idea of having Bluetooth connectivity as a point of failure isn't very appealing.

Again, very much appreciate you taking the time to confirm it!
Last edited by Di2ifter on Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zweistein

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 10:24 pm

Di2ifter wrote:Again, very much appreciate you taking the time to confirm it!

You're welcome.

Note that you need to buy the 18650 batteries for the handgrip extra. They don't come with the Tilta stuff.
I have the ones from Patona and I am very happy with them. 2 batteries power the handgrip more than one shooting day.

Di2ifter

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 10:45 pm

Zweistein wrote:
Di2ifter wrote:Again, very much appreciate you taking the time to confirm it!

You're welcome.

Note that you need to buy the 18650 batteries for the handgrip extra. They don't come with the Tilta stuff.
I have the ones from Patona and I am very happy with them. 2 batteries power the handgrip more than one shooting day.

Actually, could you perhaps test one more thing for me?

I've noticed that on the RS2 gimbal, when I connect the USBC cable, I'm able to control the focus of the lens if it is set to AF along with the rec start/stop. This has worked for me when used in conjunction with the Sigma 18-35. Since the left hand grip has a focus control knob, could you see if the focus control works when a lens is set to AF?

If you don't happen to own any EF lenses that have an AF switch on them, no worries. Just knowing the rec start/stop works with just the handle and the cable is already great news.

Zweistein

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 11:07 pm

Di2ifter wrote:I've noticed that on the RS2 gimbal, when I connect the USBC cable, I'm able to control the focus of the lens if it is set to AF along with the rec start/stop. This has worked for me when used in conjunction with the Sigma 18-35. Since the left hand grip has a focus control knob, could you see if the focus control works when a lens is set to AF?

I own the Sigma 18-35. But do you mean testing it with the Pocket 4K? Because I don't have the RS2.

Di2ifter

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 11:17 pm

Zweistein wrote:I own the Sigma 18-35. But do you mean testing it with the Pocket 4K? Because I don't have the RS2.

Yes, testing to see if the focus knob actually changes lets you change/rack focus when connected to the nucleus-m handle.

I just mentioned the RS2 because the gimbal has a focus wheel and lets you control the focus of electronic lenses when connected and the settings are properly set in the menus.

Zweistein

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 11:18 pm

Di2ifter wrote:Yes, testing to see if the focus knob actually changes lets you change/rack focus when connected to the nucleus-m handle.

I just mentioned the RS2 because the gimbal has a focus wheel and lets you control the focus of electronic lenses when connected and the settings are properly set in the menus.

I see. I'm gonna test it tomorrow.

Return to Cinematography