the real truth behind 7.9 update

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

carlomacchiavello

the real truth behind 7.9 update

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 9:47 am

Bmd is not a common brand, they wan't to sell us products... be cause they keep long life of original products longer than common market rules want :o :o :o
many people forget what give us the 7.9 update

- newer and faster autofocus, i tried with different lenses and work better and faster
- now camera give us DOF infos
IMG_4261 copia.jpg
IMG_4261 copia.jpg (928.69 KiB) Viewed 984 times

- better focus assist (peaking) to help manual focusing
- faster way to review clips (all clips mean you can see and scroll all at same time like tape mode from Resolve Cut page)
- photo button that finally work like all we think, click and shoot photo (it's a time that bmd will see photo market?)
- Gyro stabilization for all pockets (also pocket 4k)
- better support for lenses (i saw on pocket 4k many lenses work better than beta 7 for pocket)
- newer interface (i not like smaller font, and not strong evidence about On Off, but it's my taste :-P)
- better managment about cfast, usb, sd support
- faster interaction with Luts
- touchscreen settings (top right angle, i love it, i prefer to avoid to touch physical button in some situation, like environment with many dust).
- support for focus and zoom bmd for pocket 6k line

and more... please add below if you have discovered another positive hidden upgrade of this firmware.
Last edited by carlomacchiavello on Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roger.magnusson

Re: the real truth behind 7.9 update

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 12:15 pm

I think the real truth is that the use of the Blackmagic OS architecture is paying off, making it easier to implement changes for multiple cameras. SmallHD is very good at this, the 702 Bright I bought in 2016 still gets great new features several times a year because they use a unified operating system.

carlomacchiavello

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 12:38 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:I think the real truth is that the use of the Blackmagic OS architecture is paying off, making it easier to implement changes for multiple cameras. SmallHD is very good at this, the 702 Bright I bought in 2016 still gets great new features several times a year because they use a unified operating system.

you are Right :D :D
i like to use this kind of word to grab more attention from people, too often people are negative about update, list only all bugs and not understand how bmd gift us many new feature when other brands ask money for important upgrade.

lee4ever

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 1:34 pm

it's good what Blackmagic has released and I don't mean just firmware. But the best update is still missing, a new cinema cameras with fairchild sensor 8-)

Ellory Yu

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 2:20 pm

I concur that 7.9 update has many good additions making the pockets quite useful and fresh. I hope they would do the same for the URSA Mini 4.6K G2 as well. It's been years since a firmware update was ever provided on it.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Sirineos

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 4:11 pm

I am very happy with all the improvements introduced in version 7.9
Many thanks to all the BMD team

Howard Roll

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 5:26 pm

Blackmagic raised the bar early on and led the way, but now the field is much more level. The competition has raw, Prores, 400/200mbit, 12-13 stop log, etc., BM needs to focus on features to stay relevant within the segment, especially when pushing 4 year old tech. I wouldn't be surprised to see even more improvement to AF in the near future.

Good Luck

rick.lang

PostSat Jul 02, 2022 3:57 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:… photo button that finally work like all we think, click and shoot photo…

I didn’t realize this behaviour had changed, that’s great! In the past, I reverted to using my ancient Canon EOS Rebel XT but the shutter on that camera is so loud I really shouldn’t use it during a live theatre performance. Now I’ll go back to using the BMPCC4K when stills are required.

…Gyro stabilization for all pockets…

Yes, wonderful surprise capability for the ‘old’ BMPCC4K.

… i not like smaller font...

Well I’ve always included a pocket magnifying glass in my camera bag, but never used it until now! The only time I have needed it since 7.9 was to read the battery voltage charge value which is important to avoid an unplanned camera shutdown. I also have trouble reading the focus magnifying value but that’s not really important.
Rick Lang

WahWay

PostFri Jul 29, 2022 8:19 am

lee4ever wrote:it's good what Blackmagic has released and I don't mean just firmware. But the best update is still missing, a new cinema cameras with fairchild sensor 8-)

In normal to good lighting the IQ from the current Pocket cameras could touch the Faichild sensor on the Micro Cinema camera.

Return to Cinematography