URSA Mini Pro 4.6 G2

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

URSAKid

URSA Mini Pro 4.6 G2

PostTue Jul 05, 2022 7:52 am

So, i has bought a used 4.6 G1 and after using it for just about a month then the screen turned faulty. It started getting green vertical lines going through the entire screen. Support said it must be a faulty main board but I’d have to send it in and pay for the repair, but I had a shoot the next week.

Since it was a used camera I figured it must‘ve been because if something the previous owner did and I bought a new 4.6k G2 in fall 2020. It has been working great since yesterday. I was going to record something in front of the green screen, and had red vertical lines on the screen. I tried doing a recording, hoping it was just the build in screen, but it couldn’t record and gave me the error exclamation mark.

So I turned it off and back on, but it wouldn’t go back on. I packed it up and put it away. I tried again just now and the picture seemed fine. I formatted the samsung t5 i have connected via USB-C. A couple of seconds later, then same problem. I took a picture (attached), went into settings which had no lines running through it. I selected black magic raw as recording format, clicked on menu to return to the recording screen, and the camera stayed black. I waited a bit then turned it off and on again, but it didn’t go on.

Is this a common Blackmagic error? I doubt this is fixable, it just seems like the whole issue all over again. Faulty main board after like 20 successful shoots.

I was actually going to get the newer 12k BM in august, but right now Blackmagic doesn’t seem like a reliable solution for me.

Has anybody else had issues like this?
Attachments
6D4C0E84-79A6-4743-8C19-DE5A12163532.jpeg
6D4C0E84-79A6-4743-8C19-DE5A12163532.jpeg (194.18 KiB) Viewed 2130 times

nicowieditz

Re: URSA Mini Pro 4.6 G2

PostWed Jul 06, 2022 11:15 am

A colleague of me had the same issues with G1 after 2 years permanent usage. He had to pay apx. 1000 Dollars at all. The mainboard got the problem because of overheating the system. The G2 has a similar Cooling system, the 12k is not getting so hot during the same recording time than a G2 or a G1. That is why I decided to switch to the 12k.

My Colleague switched to the 6K Pro and uses the G1, only sometimes for shorter Shoots. He is so angry that he gets the same issues with his G1 again.

How much does your repair cost? Did BM tell you something about?
Cameras: BM Ursa Mini Pro 12k (BRAW), BMPCC 6k (BRAW), Ronin 4D (PRO RES RAW)
Computers: MacPro 7.1 128 GB VRAM

URSAKid

PostFri Jul 08, 2022 9:19 am

Thank you so much for replying. Yeah, I figured it was the mainboard. I've been going back and forth with the support since I posted this. They asked me for a video of it happening, which I supplied 2 days ago. I haven't heard back from them, but I guess they'll tell me soon.

Too bad. And I have never shot with my URSAs for anything close to an hour straight. Since this is the second URSA this has happened to, I'm scared to risk that much money on another BlackMagic. I will have to rent something for this weekends shoot, I have been reading up on the Komodo, so I'll rent that for this weekend's shoot. If everything goes well with that, I think that'll be my next primary camera.

The Komodo is going to throw me back 10k with everything I need for it, but I guess I'll have the URSA fixed as well, and keep it as second cam, even though I heard it's not that easy to match the footage, but I've shot amazing slow motion footage with the URSA and the Komodo can't keep up with that.

nicowieditz

PostFri Jul 08, 2022 9:33 am

Oh, the second camera this issue happened?

My longest shoot with my 12k was 190 min and the camera was warm, but not hot. I love the offspeed possibilities I can shoot till 240 fps. The audio signals are synchron after speed up in post. Perfect.
When I shoot in off-speed with my P6k, the audio signal is not synchron after speeding up the video track to the project frame rate.

Red Komodo is also a good decision.
Cameras: BM Ursa Mini Pro 12k (BRAW), BMPCC 6k (BRAW), Ronin 4D (PRO RES RAW)
Computers: MacPro 7.1 128 GB VRAM

Return to Cinematography