Camera Update 7.9 for Pocket Cameras

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

avidearvisuals

Re: Camera Update 7.9 for Pocket Cameras

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 12:06 am

Di2ifter wrote:Has anyone else noticed there's a bit of a lag when hitting record after updating to the new firmware? I use my 6K Pro and 4K for events and I've noticed it in both cameras. Starting a take is still decently snappy, but it's especially noticeable at the tail end when you stop recording. It seems to take almost a full second now for it stop and finish writing the clip to the card. I use the Angelbird CFast cards, so perhaps those who use T5 SSD's have experienced different?

It's not that huge of a deal, but I've been using these cameras since the 4K came out and it's pretty much engrained in my muscle memory that starting and stopping recordings are instant.

Overall though, the firmware update has been awesome and the slight tweaks and additions to the OS were very welcome.

laurentsj

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 7:59 pm

HI !
My BMPCC6Kpro is unable to read my cfast 1tb Angelbird since 7.9 update.
Anybody has any issues with this brand?
All the best,
Laurent

avidearvisuals

PostMon Jul 04, 2022 1:13 am

SalopFilms wrote:
avidearvisuals wrote:Hi!

Since the 7.9 update, recording on my Samsung T5 SSDs now fails after 5 seconds each time (dropped frame). This is on both my 2 tb, 1tb, and 500gb. ALL of these worked prior to the update with no problems.

Only after formatting the card over and over again in camera, turning off and on the camera, unplugging and plugging the SSD back in does it finally work. And then itll work for that shoot and the next day im back to square one with the recording failing.

I'm using the same cables (that came with T5) that ive been using for a year.
It does not matter if i lower the quality recording, it fails no matter what.

Any ideas?
Thank you!

Tried using a different cable? It just might be coincidence that the cable decided to play silly buggers around the time of the 7.9 update. You never know but it's easy to find out...

Thank you! I've tried different cables and the issue is the same. After multiple tests, it seems that it is only when I am plugged into external power (I use the smallrig npf battery plate which it says delivers 10.8v of power) but when I am using the blackmagic battery inside the camera there is no issue with recording failing!! Is there an explanation for that?

Robert Niessner

PostMon Jul 04, 2022 6:11 am

laurentsj wrote:HI !
My BMPCC6Kpro is unable to read my cfast 1tb Angelbird since 7.9 update.
Anybody has any issues with this brand?
All the best,
Laurent

My two Angelbird 1TB cards do work fine with firmware 7.9, no problems.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

johndus

PostMon Jul 04, 2022 6:40 pm

WahWay wrote:Just notice BMPCC4K 4096 x 1720 (4K 2.4:1) only goes up to 60fps not 75fps :?:

Yes I have the same issue, this sucks because this is what I use for weddings!

Robert Niessner

PostTue Jul 05, 2022 7:16 am

johndus wrote:
WahWay wrote:Just notice BMPCC4K 4096 x 1720 (4K 2.4:1) only goes up to 60fps not 75fps :?:

Yes I have the same issue, this sucks because this is what I use for weddings!

This has been acknowledged by BMD as a simple bug and should get fixed with the next firmware update (whenever that will be released).
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Rick Baer

PostWed Jul 06, 2022 5:37 pm

funny, how dodgy BMD guys are about the question for the gyro firmware update related to the UMP line.

This could mean three things:

1) BMD dislikes the Ursa Line themselves (unlikely)
2) New camera with new design and shiny new features is on its way, or maybe even finished and just waits for some over-supply of this sony 6k sensor which is now spread widely across the BMD lineup.
3) New shiny camera with new design and new features is finished, but sensor supply is low for this one, so it cant be released, because its so nice and beautiful that BMD would run into a ****storm for low availability (like back in the days) and they dont want that to happen since they changed their release attitute more torwards "its done when its done" (which i like).

Uli Plank

PostThu Jul 07, 2022 7:48 am

4) Speculation is fun.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

epsilea

PostFri Jul 08, 2022 4:40 pm

moodster wrote:VILTROX SPEED BOOSTER/ADAPTER

Tested Viltrox EF-MFT Speedbooster, as well as adapter with their latest FW 4.0 and BM Camera 7.9

i can confirm full functionality - AF, Iris, IS where applicable on the following lenses:

Sigma 18-35
Canon 10-18
Canon 50mm 1.4
Canon 18-135

@kristian lam

Any idea when we would see a Resolve update that incorporates Gyro data for stabilization?

THANKS!

Could you tell me where to download firmware v4 for the viltrox please ? can't find it on their website...
Thanks a lot

Daniel Rheaume

PostSun Jul 10, 2022 7:46 am

Okay, so I updated my Pocket 6K Pro...

I love the new fresh feel of everything, it's a wonderful job from the BM team!
BUTTTTTT... I'm really having a heck of a time now that the record button is always red. Pressing record just adds an extra red ring around the already red record button, which is barely noticeable. I realize it's not unusual for a record button to be red..haha..but this is the one "step backward" I'm noticing UI wise.

Quite literally every take of my last shoot I was doubting and double checking that the camera was indeed recording. Timecode in red does help a bit for confirmation, but I just thought I'd put it out there and see if anyone else preferred the gray button that turned red like I did?

Such a simple thing, but really is messing with me big time. I feel I'm going to really biff it on a shoot soon with this UI choice...haha.

-Daniel

Zweistein

PostSun Jul 10, 2022 10:25 am

Daniel Rheaume wrote:I'm really having a heck of a time now that the record button is always red. Pressing record just adds an extra red ring around the already red record button, which is barely noticeable.

+1
Cinematographerwww.janniktesch.comwww.sensorsizes.com
UMP 4.6K G1 6.9.4 – PCC4K OLPF 8.1 – Resolve Studio 18.6.5 – macOS 14.4 – MacBook Pro 2023, M2 Pro, 14"
EIZO CG247XUltraStudio Monitor 3G 12.5 – Micro Panel

avidearvisuals

PostSun Jul 10, 2022 12:28 pm

Daniel Rheaume wrote:Okay, so I updated my Pocket 6K Pro...

I love the new fresh feel of everything, it's a wonderful job from the BM team!
BUTTTTTT... I'm really having a heck of a time now that the record button is always red. Pressing record just adds an extra red ring around the already red record button, which is barely noticeable. I realize it's not unusual for a record button to be red..haha..but this is the one "step backward" I'm noticing UI wise.

Quite literally every take of my last shoot I was doubting and double checking that the camera was indeed recording. Timecode in red does help a bit for confirmation, but I just thought I'd put it out there and see if anyone else preferred the gray button that turned red like I did?

Such a simple thing, but really is messing with me big time. I feel I'm going to really biff it on a shoot soon with this UI choice...haha.

-Daniel

I had the same experience!! The difference between not recording and recording is just a lot less noticeable. I hope they update this in the next firmware update

RibbonWork

PostSun Jul 10, 2022 4:20 pm

For posterity, I've been encountering corrupted files upon ending a clip. In one instance, a 1.5 hour clip was truncated to the first 10 minutes. Upon ending the clip, the timecode will stop but remain red and I will be locked out of the play menu and/or beginning recording again. I have to perform a hard reset in order to regain this functionality. I've downgraded back to 7.7.3 and have been unable to replicate the issue in the past three days. I believe this is an issue limited to 7.9. More discussion in the thread here.

timbutt2

PostTue Jul 12, 2022 8:38 pm

Not sure if I mentioned I've experienced two bugs since updating. One only once. One was happening a few times on a shoot last week.

First, camera froze but kept recording. Screen UI froze that is, but hitting physical record button didn't stop recording. Only turning off stopped it. UI froze, but picture was live feed. Either way, turning off and turning on fixed issue. Hasn't happened again.

Second, multi-camera shoot with two Pockets and the URSA Mini Pro. Shooting ProRes, using the Bluetooth+ App for Multi-Camera Control. The Pockets kept cropping to 2.8K from the full sensor when shooting HD ProRes. Only way to solve was to disconnect all cameras from Bluetooth+ and just do them each manually.

The second one I will try to repeat with a video to show. However, I rented my Pocket 6K Pro till Friday, so may not have it back until Saturday. Then the Pocket 6K I sold. The person I sold to was operating it on this particular shoot. So I only have the UMPG2 on hand until the P6KPro comes back from the rental. When I get it back I'll attempt to record a video of this weird bug.

I'll note that I didn't experience any issue pairing the P6KPro and UMPG2 when set to BRAW and using Bluetooth+ Multi-Camera Control. So may be a ProRes only bug.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Tom Roper

PostWed Jul 13, 2022 3:30 pm

Zweistein wrote:
Daniel Rheaume wrote:I'm really having a heck of a time now that the record button is always red. Pressing record just adds an extra red ring around the already red record button, which is barely noticeable.

+1

+2

rick.lang

Camera Update 7.9 for Pocket Cameras

PostWed Jul 13, 2022 6:23 pm

Agree that a more emphatic difference to the record button when recording is desirable. But I’ve learned in the past to rely on the change to Red coloured Timecode is an easy way to verify recording is happening. In the excitement of everything happening, a few times over the years I’ve thought I was recording but looking at the Timecode quickly told me I wasn’t. Converse true as well: thought I had stopped recording properly but the red Timecode lets me know I missed the button.
Rick Lang

Damian Sciberras

PostWed Jul 13, 2022 11:11 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:
Damian Sciberras wrote:Has anyone else experienced not being able to select 75fps when using the 2:4:1 aspect ratio?

It only lets you choose 60fps as the maximum off speed frame rate.

Seems a bit weird they would remove this, I use this quite a lot!!

EDIT: wrong link

EDIT 2: that’s the correct one:
viewtopic.php?p=860380#p860380

Thanks very much, this clears things up!!
Not all storms come to disrupt your life, some come to clear your path!

Joenkeck

PostFri Jul 15, 2022 8:42 pm

Tom Roper wrote:
Zweistein wrote:

+1

+2
+3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Previous

Return to Cinematography