The First Short Film in AUS shot on BMCC 7,8th April 2013

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Darko Djerich

The First Short Film in AUS shot on BMCC 7,8th April 2013

PostMon Oct 26, 2015 9:36 pm

Hey folks,

appreciate all your contribution and great info on ths forum, I learnt a lot in general here and some real
good club and bunch of creatives who choose not to sleep ,rather stay in touch and share knowladge
and support comunity.

FIRST NARATIVE SHORT FILM SHOT ON BMCC FILMED ON 7&8th April 2013 (not talking about test clips).
BMCC WAS just arrived at METRO SCREEN and I was first one to hire it out,everyone was awaiting feedback anxously!

Though there is about 5% 7d footage,actually we were about to shoot all on 7D and Metro Screen just anounced first BMCC on hire so we literally picked it up in the morning for the shoot,had no knowladge of it,no support gear,monitors,external batteries,any really accesories at all,just a set of 50mm Nikon primes 1.4D and Tokina 11-16.

Film took long time to put togetether due to many other reasons and was filmmed in Film Prores mode,IS800,some low light footage was filmed at ISO1600.
It is not perfect ,I dont think but achievement for that time and conditions.

Cheers
Last edited by Darko Djerich on Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
Artist
Creative Film Enterprises Pty Ltd
creativefilm.com.au
ARRI Alexa EV iMac5k i7 48gb Asus Ryzen 7 rtx3070 BMD eGPU MacBook M1 phase one p40+, UM4.6 ef bmcc ef bmpcc, speed editor, micro panel weebill S Segway dji Inspire RAW Evo2Pro

Chris Hocking

Re: First Short Film in AUS shot on BMCC 7,8th April 2013

PostMon Oct 26, 2015 10:13 pm

Not quite sure you can claim the first narrative short film...

https://latenitefilms.com/blog/blackmag ... ma-camera/

Darko Djerich

Re: First Short Film in AUS shot on BMCC 7,8th April 2013

PostMon Oct 26, 2015 10:19 pm

Thanks Chris,

good to know,I didnt have this info,also where do you find BMCC 2012 ???

I appreciate heads up,I will correct post title.

Cheers.
Artist
creativefilm.com.au
ARRI Alexa EV iMac5k i7 48gb Asus Ryzen 7 rtx3070 BMD eGPU MacBook M1 phase one p40+, UM4.6 ef bmcc ef bmpcc, speed editor, micro panel weebill S Segway dji Inspire RAW Evo2Pro

Darko Djerich

Re: 2nd Short Film in AUS shot on BMCC 7,8th April 2013

PostTue Oct 27, 2015 3:48 am

Anyone else that shot narrative short film or feature with BMCC prior 7th April 13 please come forward.

Chris,
also after reading your blog,this would be a prototype BMCC from John and not official BMD camera.

Cheers
Artist
creativefilm.com.au

Darko Djerich

Re: The First Short Film in AUS shot on BMCC 7,8th April 20

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 3:27 am

Hello creatives,

I am no longer active here lately at all, learning that most of cameras these days and even phone can create blockbusters , I have settled on BMCC OG & Alexa Classic 2K deliveries.

This post is about the update where I claimed that my project was the first one to be filmed with Blackmagic cameras in Australia. Purely coincidental as we had weekend shot planned with my Canon 7D, (after I had given up on waiting for BMCC to arrive).

Same morning, before the shoot BMCC EF camera just arrived at Metro Screen, Sydney, from BMD Melbourne.
I literally charged it on shoot with cable to a wall while filming . Had no prior experience at all, though simple menu helped, set it in film mode and shot ProRes HQ.

8 years later, this is the result, film has been accepted in numerous festivals and more to come.

This story sums up my beginning with BMD cameras and why I love them.

Some have claimed here that my project was not the first to be filmed in Australia, whether that is true or not,
I am not sure 100% but I am still to see one shot before these dates (7,8april 2013).
It does not really matter who is first or 2nd or whatever, not an Olympics but storytelling after all.

Thank you BMD !

[code]ImagePainter Antonio - Short Film by Darko Djeric, on Flickr/code]
Artist
creativefilm.com.au

Return to Cinematography