Firmware Update Gen 5 for Ursa Mini Pro G2

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jamie LeJeune

Re: Firmware Update Gen 5 for Ursa Mini Pro G2

PostThu May 05, 2022 11:10 pm

timbutt2 wrote:update the Sidecar in Resolve for the G2 so that it defaults to Color Science 5 when the files are loaded. Currently that's the only method to achieve this when having to hand off the files.
Resolve isn’t the only method. The Sidecar files are simple JSON format text so it’s faster to create Sidecar files for an entire days shoot as a single batch with a simple shell script. Saves a lot of clicking in Resolve.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

carlomacchiavello

PostFri May 06, 2022 8:33 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote:
timbutt2 wrote:update the Sidecar in Resolve for the G2 so that it defaults to Color Science 5 when the files are loaded. Currently that's the only method to achieve this when having to hand off the files.
Resolve isn’t the only method. The Sidecar files are simple JSON format text so it’s faster to create Sidecar files for an entire days shoot as a single batch with a simple shell script. Saves a lot of clicking in Resolve.
Right, but not all people are comfortable with scripting // texting work.
Many people is thrilled from when they start a small black windows where they should write Blackmagic words like sudo, ls, cd, etc

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Jamie LeJeune

PostFri May 06, 2022 9:20 am

carlomacchiavello wrote:Right, but not all people are comfortable with scripting // texting work.
I couldn’t code if my life depended on it, I know zero about actual coding, but those JSON format sidecar files are simple to edit in any text editor and it’s easy on Mac to open a terminal window for a folder and paste in a three line shell script to batch copy one sidecar for every BRAW folder inside the folder. I don’t even have to type in the file path.
www.cinedocs.com

Bastien

PostFri May 06, 2022 9:28 am

Well, my biggest concern is about developing LUTs based on Gen5 color science that are not usable inside the camera, on set.
Again, what is very frustrating is that older, cheaper and smaller cameras from the same manufacturer got this software update 1 year ago.
The URSA G2 is left on the side not benefiting from this in camera software improvement.
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro G2 4.6K + DZOFilm Pictor Zooms + Easyrig Vario 5 Stabil G2
Instagram : https://www.instagram.com/bastienchill.dp/

Ellory Yu

PostFri May 06, 2022 2:48 pm

Jamie LeJeune wrote:
carlomacchiavello wrote:Right, but not all people are comfortable with scripting // texting work.
I couldn’t code if my life depended on it, I know zero about actual coding, but those JSON format sidecar files are simple to edit in any text editor and it’s easy on Mac to open a terminal window for a folder and paste in a three line shell script to batch copy one sidecar for every BRAW folder inside the folder. I don’t even have to type in the file path.

Jamie, can you share an online reference and/or examples on how to do this sidecar using JSON scripts? Where can I find the sidecar keys to be used in the JSON pairs? Then how is the JSON file used?
Blackmagic Design URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Speed Editor

Jamie LeJeune

PostMon May 09, 2022 7:32 pm

Ellory Yu wrote: Jamie, can you share an online reference and/or examples on how to do this sidecar using JSON scripts? Where can I find the sidecar keys to be used in the JSON pairs? Then how is the JSON file used?
It's in the documents section of the installation package for the Blackmagic RAW SDK along with sample BRAW frame and sample sidecar file.
CleanShot 2022-05-09 at 12.30.02@2x.png
CleanShot 2022-05-09 at 12.30.02@2x.png (124.56 KiB) Viewed 809 times
CleanShot 2022-05-09 at 12.29.44@2x.png
CleanShot 2022-05-09 at 12.29.44@2x.png (102.4 KiB) Viewed 809 times
CleanShot 2022-05-09 at 12.30.30@2x.png
CleanShot 2022-05-09 at 12.30.30@2x.png (198.91 KiB) Viewed 809 times

You can also simply export a sidecar file from Resolve and edit it from there in any text editor. To swap out a 3D LUT just open the LUT in any text editor, copy out the values, and paste them into the sidecar file. Easy peasy.

You don't have to add settings for all the values that sidecar files support. Any value not specified will always default to the value in the BRAW file itself. So, I generally only adjust a few values — the highlight recovery, gamut compression, gamma, gamut, and the 3D LUT options are the only values that I adjust in most cases.

Once I've got the sidecar file set the way I want it, I open the folder of BRAW files in a Terminal window and run this simple ZSH script to clone that single sidecar for every BRAW file in the folder.

Code: Select all
for FILE in *.braw; do
 name=$(echo "$FILE" | cut -f 1 -d '.')
 cp x.sidecar $name.sidecar
done

For this script to work either name the sidecar you want to close as x.sidecar, or change the name in the script to match the name of the sidecar file you are using.

If after all that you need to make bespoke clip by clip adjustments to ISO, exposure or white balance, just load the files into Resolve (if they were already loaded, make sure to restart Resolve so that it reads the newly created sidecar files) adjust them clip by clip, and click the "update sidecar" button. This will preserve what was done in the earlier batch operation and only update the specific values that have been changed.
Last edited by Jamie LeJeune on Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.cinedocs.com

Nathan_H

PostTue May 10, 2022 5:48 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:
Nathan_H wrote:Has anybody talked to them about this at NAAM Boot ?

Strangely disapointing.
Anyway G2 is still a fine camera, was looking for upgrading the otherday...
I would need 15 to 20+k€ to have the same features in 2022 (codec, dynamic range, slow mo, color science, workflow).

So my next update.... might be an Ursa G3 24x36 3:2 when It will show up (let's be honest, it will happen)

I don’t think it’s going to happen. You might want to look at the UMP Broadcast G2 which has Gen 5 and the P6K sensor. It comes with EF mount and is 2K cheaper. It has its limitations in comparison with the UMP 4.6K G2. I wished it had a Film mode switch that changes Gain control to ISO control and other film mode features. But others here have good experience with it. I don’t have it and I have the UMP 4.6K G2 as I mostly do narrative projects.

Right now your G3 is pretty much wishful thinking…. at least for a couple of years. I hope I’m wrong.

It's a wishfull thinking that will take some time (or years).
Pandemic is still a thing, and about G2 upgrade.... I don't understand at all what's happening.

I think G2 is just a small market compared to rest of the hardware software and camera that blackmagic developpers are working on.

That's still hurts of course.
https://vimeo.com/nathanhenneton/showreel2019

Jacobclark

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 12:08 am

Wanting to ping BMD developers again to let them know we didn't stop caring about these issues. Please get us Gen 5 in camera on the UMP G2 as well as RGB Histogram and 8x pinch zoom!

Ellory Yu

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 7:42 am

Jacobclark wrote:Wanting to ping BMD developers again to let them know we didn't stop caring about these issues. Please get us Gen 5 in camera on the UMP G2 as well as RGB Histogram and 8x pinch zoom!

+1. Hopefully soon!
Blackmagic Design URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Speed Editor

Steve Fishwick

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 4:12 pm

The pace of development for Resolve seems to be on steroids. Unfortunately the same can't be said for the camera firmware; apart from the G2 the Broadcast G2 is still on a beta firmware after at least a couple of months. It's not a good incentive to invest in BMD cameras, if development is quickly dropped after a couple of years, or less, of model introduction, IMV.

timbutt2

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 9:43 pm

Well, we are fast approaching the 3-Year Mark since the last Firmware Update for the UMPG2. As for the Broadcast G2 I can't speak on that subject, but I feel like the firmware has to be on the same level as the UMP12K and Pockets since it is a newer camera.

I have a feeling that the UMP12K is about to be replaced with the next generation URSA Camera. It's been 2-Years since the 12K was introduced. The UMPG2 will also become End of Life with the next URSA. So what will that be?

First, I would like a final firmware update that at least brings UMPG2 Gen 5 and as well some of the other firmware features now in newer cameras. But I don't think it will happen. I lost hope for that.

So, what will be next? The 12K sensor will be in the next URSA. I think a revised UMP body design will happen. But also we'll see an URSA Micro introduced to fulfill the "box camera" requests. This will bring us to two URSA body options using the same sensor. I think both will utilize CFEXPRESS Cards. The UMP will have dual card slots and the Micro will have one card slot. The UMP will have full XLR ports, and the Micro will have one or two Micro XLR ports. Both will be interchangeable lens mount. I think both will have updated external ports, but the UMP will have a few more options than the Micro. I think the Micro may get a Lemo Timecode Port, and may utilize Lemo connections more. Maybe the Micro may also have Micro SDI ports to keep the size smaller. But the UMP body may also get some Lemo ports as well.

Either way, I'm going to keep an eye out for what is next and use the UMPG2 until that point where a new camera is introduced. I have zero interest in the current 12K now because I know what is next will be better. No reason to upgrade to that until the 12K sensor is in the newer bodies.

Do I wish the UMPG2 could be updated? Yes! But, do I think it will? Not really holding out hope.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Ellory Yu

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 6:32 am

timbutt2 wrote:The UMPG2 will also become End of Life with the next URSA. So what will that be?

I don’t know much what will be of the UMP12K but I doubt the UMPG2 will be EOL. First it is still being marketed. Second, it is the ONLY BMD camera that is listed as Netflix approved. Taking it out leaves BMD nothing in the selection list and mind you, I spoke with a number of producers and that list has a big impact in their decision it process.

timbutt2 wrote:First, I would like a final firmware update that at least brings UMPG2 Gen 5 and as well some of the other firmware features now in newer cameras. But I don't think it will happen. I lost hope for that.

I want this too. I’m disappointed with the way BMD has handled this.

timbutt2 wrote:But also we'll see an URSA Micro introduced to fulfill the "box camera" requests.

Maybe. Not holding my breath anymore.
Previous

Return to Cinematography