Shooting problem on 4k cameras encountered

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

JanKocbek

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 8:02 pm

Today I was shooting, and saw the storage time counter above the SSD stopped. Camera would appear to be still shooting, record timer on top of the screen would go forward... Then if you pressed the button to stop shooting, the whole camera would freeze and I would have to disconnect batteries. Without disconnecting batteries, screen would be black upon restart.

It seems to have kept the files, but stopped shooting when the actual freeze on storage time counter above SSD stopped.

I use two cameras and it happened on BOTH. I was shooting 4k, 60 fps. When I went to 30 fps, it didn't freeze anymore I guess, I hardly think this is the reason. This is after new firmware and update. Before that, 2 years of steady shooting without error on 4k 60 fps :) Now, on last 2 shootings, files just disappeared on the last one, and now this happened.

Greets, hope you can fix

JanKocbek

Re: Shooting problem on 4k cameras encountered

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 8:05 pm

Yee... This footage was supposed to be continuous, without break in between. Lost first half of the event, sadly, before i could diagnose the problem.
Attachments
bm.jpg
bm.jpg (110.02 KiB) Viewed 976 times

JanKocbek

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 8:35 pm

This timeline should be three continuous tracks, one track for camera 2, one track for camera 1, and event audio, all three track I would now edit normally, instead i need to do something really creative here

Pls fix, it happened on both cameras, I was so surprised, they were the most reliable thing in my life before firmware
Attachments
gjgh.jpg
gjgh.jpg (710.77 KiB) Viewed 966 times

Mike Potton

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 9:27 pm

Yep BMD uploaded an untested firmware that destroyed peoples footage and then left the update live after being made aware of the problem.

It's a strange business model for a camera company to knowingly destroy footage, but that's how they roll!

Going forward either shoot on CFast or downgrade to 7.3 if shooting SSD.

wemrick1

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 11:07 pm

All these reports including issues I am having are just so weird. They are not consistent. Is BMD making component changes between builds? That is the only other instance I have seen similar. A component change on one board that was thought to be innocuous caused problems. Really baffling.

Joenkeck

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 12:13 am

Was this on the latest firmware?

rick.lang

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 3:12 am

Exactly what make, model, capacity are the SSDs?

Is there any chance ambient heat is a factor with heat waves so frequent now in different parts of the world? You mentioned failures at 60 fps but success at 30 fps so I’m concluding this was heat related. I had CFast2 failures for the first time during our heat wave. I could record at 30 fps but HFR failed repeatedly. When the heat wave was over I could record HFR successfully.
Rick Lang

JanKocbek

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 10:15 am

Let's not bash Blackmagic until they sell their soul to Blackrock. Until then, they are still our saviours and beautiful in every way and I love you all <3

SSD's are Samsung T5. 500GB.

I since realized this is what happened in my previous event too, where I also lost footage on files.

I never, ever ever ever EVER in 2 years had a problem with anything on my BMPCC 4K. I had these things in rain under umbrellas and extreme heat under t-shirts, and since many of events were done with 1 camera, let's presume shooting on 2 cameras and both failing in a similar way, is on the latest firmware upgrade.

(On an unrelated note, the new blue hue makes the new menus look unprofessional. Just adding this to new firmware bashing)

I hope Blackmagic can fix this before september. Camera stops shooting on SSDs, but still goes on until you press stop recording, at which point camera has to be unbricked by removing batteries.

God not named Yahweh bless you all ily

Uli Plank

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 3:24 pm

Are you definitely on FW 7.9.1? There was an important fix.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

JanKocbek

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 12:45 pm

I'm on firmware I installed 3, 4 weeks after gyro update. Sorry I don't update every day, or expect these massive crashes that leave me in absolute pain for 3 days to edit around them :)

Return to Cinematography