Camera Pitch: Blackmagic C-Reality | Virtual Camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

timbutt2

Camera Pitch: Blackmagic C-Reality | Virtual Camera

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 11:33 am

I've been sitting on this idea for a new Blackmagic Camera for a while. So hear me out. This is a new Blackmagic Design Virtual Camera called: C-Reality

Function
For use in Studio with LED Walls. The Blackmagic C-Reality has built in trackers and gyro for data to place the camera in the virtual environment and at the same time adjust the view on the LED wall. The Data also can work with helping with Green Screen shooting and using Ultimatte Tech for real time green screen replacement and the CG environment adjusting to camera movements.

Build
Lightweight and small form factor somewhere between an URSA Mini and the Micro. Many ports for I/O. Dual Cards.

Live Feed in Monitor
Beyond LED Walls, with Green Screen using Ultimatte technology a CG Environment can be seen in camera for framing purposes. Either in the Camera Monitor or EVF.

Resolution
Using the 12K Sensor get the most detailed image for VFX purposes.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Ellory Yu

Re: Camera Pitch: Blackmagic C-Reality | Virtual Camera

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 9:33 pm

This is interesting but I still on fence if this is the right tooling and approach. I’m still putting my head around how the new Ultimatte products can be used to for virtual sets that are suitable for film projects. How, if at all, this can be utilized as a simpler workflow and green/blue screens instead of one that requires lots of VFX expertise, Blender, and Unreal engine work. All I can find uses of it are for broadcasting which doesn’t fancy my need. Also, LED screens are expensive so something that will work with green screen is more likely useful for the masses of indie filmmakers.
Blackmagic Design URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Speed Editor

Darko Djerich

PostTue Sep 20, 2022 8:39 am

+ 1

Arguably UMP G2 is ideal camera as well as URSA 12k Version for creating matte.

I am currently trialing HTC trackers and base stations 2.0 workflow with UE5.

New tool is on market just RELEASED to fill this gap called VIVE MARS Cam Track (US$5,000).

UMP G2 is preferred cam out there already, for various reasons, not sure how trackers from BMD would work in UE5, it would need whole eco system to integrate to UE5 similar to what HTC does.

But, well said, HELL YEAH !

This is the future and new real in studio based filmmaking.

LED walls are still expensive but this will come down in price very soon way things are going.

I am trialing atm with UST LG HU85LA 4K projector, though still awaiting on HTC base stations 2.0 for months as there is lack of supply for them Worldwide. While many say one method is better then the other, I found high end UST 4K projector is very versatile, I actually can create really great green screen with it in no time just by projecting evenly lit green image on the wall.

Now, I played with green screen for many years and even lived in one for 5 years, I have never been able to create a perfect one so quickly like with UST 4K projector, so you have both options available with it to create "Mixed reality" and "3D inside environment ".
From what I research LED walls are far from perfect, too, they require shallow depth of field to cover imperfections in LED wall backgrounds as well as matching the sync with camera can be challenging due to delays. etc.

Well said Tim, smaller version of UMP G2 would be great with some tracking integration that is recognised in UE.
Artist
Creative Film Enterprises Pty Ltd
creativefilm.com.au
ARRI Alexa EV iMac5k i7 48gb Asus Ryzen 7 rtx3070 BMD eGPU MacBook M1 phase one p40+, UM4.6 ef bmcc ef bmpcc, speed editor, micro panel weebill S Segway dji Inspire RAW Evo2Pro

drknsss

PostTue Sep 20, 2022 5:06 pm

Sign me up!!

I am collecting the gear to create my own UE5 virtual set. I have looked into the tracking system and an elegant BM solution would be great!!!

timbutt2

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 12:01 pm

Glad to hear some people like this idea. Ultimately, I'm starting to lean towards a multiple tools to do a job sort of approach. Thus you have different cameras for different purposes instead of a single all around camera. Thus a camera specifically designed for the use in Virtual Production makes sense to me. And, I think Blackmagic might be in the best position to create such a tool.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Jack Fairley

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 5:22 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:putting my head around how the new Ultimatte products can be used to for virtual sets that are suitable for film projects.

I've done this with an Ultimatte 11 in the past, but not for film. We used an HTC Vive system with trackers for the camera and Unity for the engine, so we could do a live comp for shooting and record everything for post. If you have some better tracking system that can give you an FBX or similar, you could bring that in to a 3D tool later to get a better environment.
Ryzen 3900X 4.4Ghz
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Ellory Yu

PostFri Sep 23, 2022 6:07 am

Jack Fairley wrote:
Ellory Yu wrote:putting my head around how the new Ultimatte products can be used to for virtual sets that are suitable for film projects.

I've done this with an Ultimatte 11 in the past, but not for film. We used an HTC Vive system with trackers for the camera and Unity for the engine, so we could do a live comp for shooting and record everything for post. If you have some better tracking system that can give you an FBX or similar, you could bring that in to a 3D tool later to get a better environment.

I saw a demo of the ARWall and it was impressive. The Pro Studio that was demo’d to us can definitely be used for scripted Indie productions. But it requires some pretty good FX experience with Unreal Engine and other VFX tool. I have no experience in either tools and also with the Ultimatte products, so I wonder if the Ultimatte 12 can do the same but instead using low cost green screen shots and then replacing the AR with AR backgrounds created by unreal creators.

BTW, Here’s the info on ARWall.

https://arwall.co/products/arfx-home-studio

https://arwall.co/products/arfx-pro-plu ... 5aad8dc46d
Blackmagic Design URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Speed Editor

Kim Janson

PostFri Sep 23, 2022 8:57 am

Camera interface to control the camera and lens and get low latency realtime reporting of current parameters to synchronise the generated 3D environment.

Discrete pulse to get when the actual exposure happens, to synchronise the 3D environment and video. Genlock only reports when the video frame is sent out. We need to know where the camera was when the image was taken, not where it was when the video frame was sent out.

Defining the focus area and camera reporting the focus point. Especially useful if the camera has face tracking etc.

Accurate time on all devices, continuously synchronised, no additional devices needed.

These would be easy to implement no additional cost really and hugely simplify the complete system...

It is totally hopeless, I do not get why modern cameras do not have this. All of it, as standard. All it requires is a 5 pin power cable: camera power, Serial interface, and one pin for synchronising. One cable for it all, no complicated stuff with USB, SDI etc interfacing for the control, just simple easy to implement serial. Would be useful also for other than VR studios.
LeViteZer Smooths the movement, www.levitezer.com

Return to Cinematography