Viltrox not working on BMPCC4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

asenraa98

Viltrox not working on BMPCC4K

PostMon Aug 16, 2021 11:36 am

Hello,

I recently bought a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K, but when I pair it with my Viltrox EF-M1 or any one of my lenses (a Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, a Canon 50mm f/1.8, a Canon 24mm f/2.8, and a Canon kit lens), I can't control the iris. This doesn't seem to be a problem when I pair the same equipment with my Canon 550D though, so does this prove my Blackmagic has a defect and I should get it fixed?

Robert Niessner

Re: Viltrox not working on BMPCC4K

PostMon Aug 16, 2021 7:29 pm

It only proves that the Viltrox might be the culprit.
If you can't control the iris on a native MFT lens then you know it might be the camera.

On which firmware version is the camera?
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

drknsss

PostMon Aug 16, 2021 8:28 pm

I have the same camera and Viltrox. I can tell you that it's not a DEFECT so don't send it back...., but its up to you. If you search the forum with the word VILTROX you wiull see many discussions on this issue. Some have it and some don't as there are many variations. DId you update the firmware on the Viltrox?
Last edited by drknsss on Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samuel S

PostMon Aug 16, 2021 8:56 pm

asenraa98 wrote:Hello,

I recently bought a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K, but when I pair it with my Viltrox EF-M1 or any one of my lenses (a Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, a Canon 50mm f/1.8, a Canon 24mm f/2.8, and a Canon kit lens), I can't control the iris. This doesn't seem to be a problem when I pair the same equipment with my Canon 550D though, so does this prove my Blackmagic has a defect and I should get it fixed?

My fix has just been to detach and reattach the adapter to the body. Works every time but is certainly a pain in the butt.

asenraa98

PostMon Aug 16, 2021 9:49 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:It only proves that the Viltrox might be the culprit.
If you can't control the iris on a native MFT lens then you know it might be the camera.

On which firmware version is the camera?

The camera is on the 7.3 version.

asenraa98

drknsss wrote:I have the same camera and Viltrox. I can tell you that it's not a DEFECT . If you search the forum with the word VILTROX you wiull see many discussions on this issue. Some have it and some don't as there are many variations. DId you update the firmware on the Viltrox?

Yes. It's on the 3.6 version.

asenraa98

Samuel S wrote:
asenraa98 wrote:Hello,

My fix has just been to detach and reattach the adapter to the body. Works every time but is certainly a pain in the butt.

Did that a lot of times, with the camera powered on and off.

javier forza

PostTue Aug 17, 2021 11:53 pm

Viltrox work Iris with latest firmware 3.6 and latest Beta Firmware for BMPCC4k
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=142665

The things not working are lens stabilization and autofocus. BM team are working in a solution.

If you want Viltrox fully working only Firmware 2.3 for the adapter and 6.96 for BMPCC4k.

asenraa98

PostThu Aug 19, 2021 5:48 pm

javier forza wrote:Viltrox work Iris with latest firmware 3.6 and latest Beta Firmware for BMPCC4k
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=142665

The things not working are lens stabilization and autofocus. BM team are working in a solution.

If you want Viltrox fully working only Firmware 2.3 for the adapter and 6.96 for BMPCC4k.

Hello! Problem solved! I had already installed the latest firmware of the adapter, but I did that with my old MacBook Pro. I did the same thing with a Windows computer and somehow it worked! I can now control the iris.

MitchellNeth

PostThu Sep 29, 2022 6:57 pm

To piggyback off of user: asenraa98, I have an EF-M1 EF to MFT mount adapter I was working to get operational with my Blackmagic Studio Cam 4k Pro and doing the traditional firmware file transfer method on my M1 Mac left the adapter in-operational.

It wasn't until uploading the file to the adapter on a Windows 10 machine did the firmware finally work, and it ends up working very well with the Blackmagic Focus demand and AF ready lenses!
Mitchell Neth
Broadcast Engineer - Life.Church
Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Return to Cinematography