Histogram RGB clip versus zebra

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

BennoZ

Histogram RGB clip versus zebra

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 2:27 pm

In the latest update for the Pocket and the Ursa Broadcast there are red, green and blue squares in the histogram when one of this colors is clipping which I like a lot. I'm always filming with zebra at 100% and guessed it can be turned of now, but there is difference in zebra and histogram, I'll explain:
When the red, green and blue squares are all off lot's of time I see zebra; how can that be? Because there are no colors above 100%, so also there should be no zebra.
Also sometimes it's reversed: one of the squares are on and I see no zebra.
Can anyone explain this behavior?

Steve Fishwick

Re: Histogram RGB clip versus zebra

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 5:07 pm

I would imagine because zebras are based on luminance not RGB gamut. I don't know how the histograms are implemented in BMD cameras and whether they are based on the current lut or absolute sensor saturation, since I don't use them or false colours, I'm too old fashioned and an old ENG guy :) But I would not recommend, personally 100% zebras - it is much better to use 90%, so you have some head room, to allow for inaccuracy of metering. It would be grand too if the Broadcast particularly had dual zebras but it is quite workable as is.

BennoZ

Re: Histogram RGB clip versus zebra

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 5:35 pm

Thanks for your answer.
I'm an old fashioned ENG guy too and always used 100% so I'm sure really nothing is blown out. Everyone uses his own preferences. Someones even set it to 70% :shock:

Return to Cinematography