BMPCC 6K shuts down when shooting at 50fps and battery

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

duonmarunak

PostFri Sep 02, 2022 4:11 pm

I shoot Braw/12:1. I use an external battery NP-F970 Li-ion 7.2V (7800mAh/56.2Wh) together with a smallrig plate. I record on an external sdd Samsung T5 1TB. When the camera is plugged into the socket with the adapter, everything works fine. When I shoot at 25fps with the battery, everything works fine. When I shoot 50fps and the camera is connected to an external battery (I tried several NP-Fs and put the battery in the camera and the same result).

So far I have had no problems with this setup and the camera. I suspect that the change came with the new firmware (the blue operating system in the camera) and this is the first time since the update I've shot at high frame rate with this OS, so maybe I just didn't notice it before.

Does anyone have a similar problem and know a solution? Thanks for help.

Richard Knight

Re: BMPCC 6K shuts down when shooting at 50fps and battery

PostFri Sep 02, 2022 4:16 pm

How are you connecting the 7.2 V NP-F970 to the camera, using the dc in or a dummy battery? The dc in is designed for 12v which is why it will work with the 12v power adaptor but possibly not with a 7.2v battery.

Marshall Harrington

PostFri Sep 02, 2022 4:19 pm

Curious to know if shooting to a C-fast card improves your results. Is that something you can test?

duonmarunak

PostFri Sep 02, 2022 4:27 pm

How are you connecting the 7.2 V NP-F970 to the camera, using the dc in or a dummy battery?

Im connecting it with "Smallrig 3018 NP-F Battery Adapter Plate Lite". Btw, the external battery and the internal battery are not connected at the same time (I made this mistake once:)

Curious to know if shooting to a C-fast card improves your results. Is that something you can test?

Unfortunately I don't have C-fast card so I can't try it.

The dc in is designed for 12v which is why it will work with the 12v power adaptor but possibly not with a 7.2v battery.

The thing is, I've been using this same setup for almost a year now and I've never had any problems with it. Just today. Therefore, it occurs to me that the problem may be in the OS, because that is the only change that comes to mind.

Mark Foster

PostFri Sep 02, 2022 4:33 pm

NP-F power adapters are designed for the BMPCC 4K
and should NOT be used with the 6K, 6K G2 or 6K pro
as the power consumption is too high for this solution.
an additional SSD will then draw further power.
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

duonmarunak

PostFri Sep 02, 2022 5:09 pm

NP-F power adapters are designed for the BMPCC 4K and should NOT be used with the 6K.

Oh, really? I can't believe I didn't notice this until now. I have been using these 7.2v batteries for almost a year now and they have always worked well.

Edit: And the other thing is, that camera is shutting down even with LP6 battery inside. This cant be wrong, right?

Robert Niessner

PostFri Sep 02, 2022 7:25 pm

duonmarunak wrote:
Edit: And the other thing is, that camera is shutting down even with LP6 battery inside. This cant be wrong, right?

This might depend on the status of the internal battery. If the camera sees it as not fully charged, it will also charge it from the external battery and this can consume some power too.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

carlomacchiavello

PostFri Sep 02, 2022 7:45 pm

i use tilta plate adapter for nf-p970, i use it for two pocket6k and work fine for hours, in this plate i had two different hole, once 7.4 and once 12v, obviously i use 12v out.
i shoot until reach 60fps on 2.40 ratio, on external ssd, on internal cfast, never see this problems.
Check the plate be cause it may cannot really upconvert 7.4 to 12v for a defect.

ShaheedMalik

PostSat Sep 03, 2022 2:10 am

The original poster never answered if they are using the DC 7.4v port or the DC 12.0v port.

duonmarunak

PostSat Sep 03, 2022 7:56 am

So is the Smallrig 3018 NP-F Battery Adapter Plate Lite providing 12V that is fed to the camera power in?

Yes, its providing 12v. I checked the cables and everything looks like new. I did not find a physical fault. With the DC adapter from the socket to the wall, the camera works as it should.

i shoot until reach 60fps on 2.40 ratio, on external ssd, on internal cfast, never see this problems.

It worked the same for me until yesterday. I'm trying to figure out where the problem is. My Smallrig has only 12v hole. Which firmware to use in the camera please? I have the current one 7.9.1

The original poster never answered if they are using the DC 7.4v port or the DC 12.0v port.

The batteries are 7.2v and the Smallrig plate has a 12v output to the camera. Although I now know that this is not an ideal solution, everything has worked without problems so far.

I'm thinking of trying to downgrade to an older firmware, but I don't know if that's possible.

carlomacchiavello

PostSat Sep 03, 2022 10:17 am

It worked the same for me until yesterday. I'm trying to figure out where the problem is. My Smallrig has only 12v hole. Which firmware to use in the camera please? I have the current one 7.9.1

I'm thinking of trying to downgrade to an older firmware, but I don't know if that's possible.

Hi, i use 7.9.1 and last shooting was thuesday and all work fine.
Q3 50/60p 6k and 2.40 6k
to downgrade firmware you can do easely:
- remove from computer old camera tool install (from mac from uninstaller, from win from control panel)
- install older camera tools with older firmware
- launch camera tool
- power on camera
- camera tool tell you you have different firmware and ask you if you want to upgrade (in this case is a downgrade), wait until it finish it and voilà.

like Kim told, me too i think a plate adapter problem, in past i used other different plate that give me problems after some months of work.
Last edited by carlomacchiavello on Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wemrick1

PostSat Sep 03, 2022 11:04 am

Unfortunately as noted in this thread there could be numerous causes. The new firmware could have set a new threshold for shut down. The voltage comparator in the camera could have become aged and changed values. The battery could have become aged and is now sagging more. The boosting circuit in the battery plate could have aged and changed values. Some of these may appear to be odd coincidence but still possible. I guess try to diagnose in order of cost. Rolling back the firmware is the least expensive obviously. From there it's spending money that is a crap shoot. Battery specs are notoriously overstated and specs like continuous draw are often not given. I use an NP on my BMPCC 4k but I use a V-mount on the 6KP. The 6KP is a power hog. From the description of the problem it is highly likely the rig has been working at or close to threshold all along. Unfortunately, I have no simple answer to this one.

duonmarunak

PostSat Sep 03, 2022 3:19 pm

Today I tested whether the camera works with the batteries inside (I let them charge overnight to make sure they are really full) and it seems to work without problems. so finally it seems that the problem will be in the battery plate, because the battery works fine in the monitor.

The new firmware could have set a new threshold for shut down.
- As this comment mentions, it could be that the new OS is simply "more strict" on the voltage supply.

Anyways.. I will order a V-Lock battery (I quickly chose FXlion Nano Two) and will try the camera with it again after the weekend and hopefully everything will work without problems.
I use an NP on my BMPCC 4k but I use a V-mount on the 6KP.
Oh, and may i ask which battery are you using? I wonder cca how long the 98Wh battery in the BMPCC will last for shooting. Thank you.

And I want to thank you all for trying to help me. I personaly know almost zero people who can help me with these matters, so I am grateful for this forum. It has helped me so many times. I hope even now.

wemrick1

PostSat Sep 03, 2022 3:40 pm

duonmarunak wrote:Today I tested whether the camera works with the batteries inside (I let them charge overnight to make sure they are really full) and it seems to work without problems. so finally it seems that the problem will be in the battery plate, because the battery works fine in the monitor.

The new firmware could have set a new threshold for shut down.
- As this comment mentions, it could be that the new OS is simply "more strict" on the voltage supply.

Anyways.. I will order a V-Lock battery (I quickly chose FXlion Nano Two) and will try the camera with it again after the weekend and hopefully everything will work without problems.
I use an NP on my BMPCC 4k but I use a V-mount on the 6KP.
Oh, and may i ask which battery are you using? I wonder cca how long the 98Wh battery in the BMPCC will last for shooting. Thank you.

And I want to thank you all for trying to help me. I personaly know almost zero people who can help me with these matters, so I am grateful for this forum. It has helped me so many times. I hope even now.

I'm using a GVM 98Wh battery. The longest I've shot has been just over an hour and I had 3/4 of the battery left per the leds on the side of the battery. I would imagine it would last somewhere between three and four hours.

duonmarunak

PostThu Oct 06, 2022 11:58 am

Just and update: New battery seems to be solution. I got FXlion v-mount battery and everything works good so far. Thank you for help! :idea:

GalinMcMahon

PostFri Oct 07, 2022 8:15 pm

Mark Foster wrote:NP-F power adapters are designed for the BMPCC 4K
and should NOT be used with the 6K, 6K G2 or 6K pro
as the power consumption is too high for this solution.
an additional SSD will then draw further power.

I use an NPF to power my 6k, nucleus and T5 almost exclusively. Have never had a power issue at any resolution, speed or length of take. I adapt barrel to the BM 3 pin.
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

drknsss

PostSat Oct 08, 2022 1:42 am

I used the same Smallrig single battery plate as the OP and it worked for a few shoots then it started acting up like the OP described.

I find that a 2 X NP-F battery plate works best because it produces 13v-16v 8A. Never had a problem on the P4k or P6K. You will also see that as your batteries age they will still have a charge but the voltage under load will drop to the point where the camera will shut off...., but when you check they still have a charge! I have Powerextra batteries which last 2 1/2 hours on the 2 x plate and some super cheapos that experience the power drop so I only use them for LED lights.

Hope that helps.

Return to Cinematography