Two different pocket camera's crashing

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Bart de Graaf

Two different pocket camera's crashing

PostTue Nov 22, 2022 9:40 am

I was running two 6k pockets on a multicam shoot a few days back.
It was the original 6k running on 7.9.1. and a new model 6k (7.9.).

The original 6k was on netpower with an Angelibird CFast inside and the other one was on a v-mount battery also with an Angelbird inside.

Both froze within one hour of each other and the only way to get them back on was to pull the powerplug.

I do know that there was a bug with firmware 7.9 and SSD's, but I haven't encounterd any of these errors before.

Any opinions on this?

Joenkeck

Re: Two different pocket camera's crashing

PostFri Nov 25, 2022 6:16 pm

Bart de Graaf wrote:I was running two 6k pockets on a multicam shoot a few days back.
It was the original 6k running on 7.9.1. and a new model 6k (7.9.).

The original 6k was on netpower with an Angelibird CFast inside and the other one was on a v-mount battery also with an Angelbird inside.

Both froze within one hour of each other and the only way to get them back on was to pull the powerplug.

I do know that there was a bug with firmware 7.9 and SSD's, but I haven't encounterd any of these errors before.

Any opinions on this?
I’ve been using the pockets since they came out. This new 7.9.X firmware is very buggy. I had 3 out of 4 pockets freeze on me at a wedding after upgrading the firmware (2 pocket 4Ks, and a 6K pro). I would recommend downgrading the firmware to before 7.9.X, after doing so my cameras have been stable.

It seems that blackmagic is getting sloppy with their firmware.

rick.lang

PostSat Nov 26, 2022 2:45 pm

I haven’t had a recording issue on 7.9.1 with 1 TB Wise CFast2 or 1 TB Wise Portable SSD so I’m wondering if the Wise media is what keeps me safe. I can’t test other media to see if it makes a difference. Shooting Q1 lately but always Q0 previously.

However my last shoot added the original URSA Mini 4.6K and my Fujinon zoom as well on CFast2. Have a December shoot which may also be dual cameras.
Rick Lang

Bart de Graaf

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 11:07 am

Thanks all. It is not something I ever had before and let's hope it doesn't happen again. In the end we have to be able to trust our gear.

Return to Cinematography