Pocket 4k top mount strength

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Mike Manus

Pocket 4k top mount strength

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 10:20 am

Sorry for the stupid question, but I'm more a post-production guy.

I'd like to mount the Pocket 4k to a ceiling pointing down. Is the screw hole at the top of the camera as strong as the bottom tripod mount? Or is it just meant for mounting mics or hard drives, etc? I'd like to use it and leave the camera hanging from it, pointing down, mounted for long periods, just turning off and putting on a lens cap. The lens is a fairly light prime.

Yannick Willox

Re: Pocket 4k top mount strength

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 10:47 am

Why not hang it upside down ?
Or use a cage ?

Never hang something that is not double secured !

Mike Manus

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 10:53 am

Well, that's what I'm asking. Why use a cage or hang upside down if the cam is already designed to be used in the way I mentioned. I guess from your answer, it's not designed to be used that way?

I was going to use a short shoulder strap hooked to the ceiling as a safety.

Robert Niessner

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 1:23 pm

The top mount is not designed to be used for that purpose, just for light accessories.
This is also mentioned in the camera user manual.

The best way would to get a light cage (for example from SmallRig, Tilta or 8sinn) and then also use an additional safety rope.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Mike Manus

PostSat Dec 03, 2022 12:48 am

Ah, thank you. Is there any reason using a cage would be better than mounting upside down, other than not having to frame the picture upside down?

rNeil H

PostSat Dec 03, 2022 1:13 am

The cage ties into both the bottom and top mount points on the camera. Locks the camera in pretty good.

Mount that to the ceiling and also use a wire safety cord.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

carlomacchiavello

PostSat Dec 03, 2022 6:23 pm

Mike Manus wrote:Ah, thank you. Is there any reason using a cage would be better than mounting upside down, other than not having to frame the picture upside down?
I think Camera is not developed to work up down, the fan move warm air up, if you reverse camera you risk to warm it too much be cause watermelon air came back to camera. Check it.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Mike Manus

PostSun Dec 18, 2022 12:11 pm

If I use a smallrig cage with mounting points on the top and bottom, then mount to ceiling pointing mostly down but angled a little; should I use the top mounting point? I am worried that if the top screw hole of the camera is only meant for light accessories that even half the weight of the camera might be a bit much. The mount point for the ceiling would be over the top of the cage.

Ellory Yu

PostSun Dec 18, 2022 2:19 pm

Mike Manus wrote:If I use a smallrig cage with mounting points on the top and bottom, then mount to ceiling pointing mostly down but angled a little; should I use the top mounting point? I am worried that if the top screw hole of the camera is only meant for light accessories that even half the weight of the camera might be a bit much. The mount point for the ceiling would be over the top of the cage.

If you are using a cage, the cage is secured by both top and bottom mount screws so it doesn’t matter which side of the cage you’ll mount to the ceiling or angle like using a magic arm. However, make sure whatever arm you’re using, it is made to carry the entire weight of the camera plus more and as mentioned above, secure the camera with a strap or something similar.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Return to Cinematography