Blackmagic Ursa Mini 4.6k G2 not powering up

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Gerialkot

Blackmagic Ursa Mini 4.6k G2 not powering up

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 5:20 pm

Hello everyone. I have an issue with a one day old ursa mini 4.6k g2. Yesterday it was working fine, but today, after connecting the battery, it did’nt turn on. The lcd stays completely dark, no backlight. The fan is spinning up, and I can hear a relay clicking inside, but that’s all. It reacts to the rec+>| button combo, the fan turns on if I press those buttons. The rec led sometimes stays lit up when I turn the camera on using this button combo. I was using it with a Beillen BL-N-BP160 V-Mount Li-Ion Battery and a Blackmagic URSA Mini Recorder. Could this be a hardware or a software issue? If someone could give me some advice, I would be very grateful.

Steve Fishwick

Re: Blackmagic Ursa Mini 4.6k G2 not powering up

PostSat Dec 03, 2022 6:08 pm

If it's one day old, surely you need to get in touch with whomever sold it to you, or BMD under your included guarantee?

robert Hart

Re: Blackmagic Ursa Mini 4.6k G2 not powering up

PostSat Dec 03, 2022 11:54 pm

I second sending the camera back for warranty if there is still time left. That one is not going to heal itself.

You mention a Blackmagic URSA Mini recorder. I don't know of an "URSA" mini recorder but it may be something I have not caught up with.

How are you powering the Mini Recorder? - Separate battery/internal battery/drawing from camera's front XLR output/drawing from a D-Tap socket on the V-mount/drawing from a D-tap on the battery itself?

What connections between the G2 camera and the Mini Recorder did you use?

Anecdotally over time there have been some combinations of connections which can be fatally hostile to cameras. Apparently the way some monitors were connected ended camera lives.

Everything may have been fine until one or the other of the two machines was switched off. Then, a power draw through the camera might have finished the camera off causing the no start next time.

Better brains than mine will hopefully shed some more light on the problem. It will be helpful if you can answer those questions for them.

Return to Cinematography