Video Assist 7 12G incompatible HDMI source?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

ssassen

Video Assist 7 12G incompatible HDMI source?

PostTue Apr 19, 2022 1:27 pm

Hello everyone, I might need some assistance with this. I just purchased a Video Assist 7 12G to replace my old 7" monitor. I'm shocked to find it does not support the official Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter v2, which uses Miracast to wirelessly cast a HDMI signal to the monitor. Every monitor I own, including the 8 year old one the VA is replacing, works with the Microsoft dongle just fine? I get no image on the VA whatsoever though, despite the fact the monitor states it receives a 1080p60 signal, yet the screen remains black?

Has anyone dealt with this before and know of a working solution? And yes, bot the VA and the Microsoft gizmo have been updated to their latest firmware. I'm not sure what to do at this point other than harass BM or returning the VA?

roger.magnusson

Re: Video Assist 7 12G incompatible HDMI source?

PostTue Apr 19, 2022 6:11 pm

Maybe Miracast enforces HDCP and the VA acts accordingly? That's so you can't make unauthorized copies of protected media.

ssassen

PostTue Apr 19, 2022 9:50 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:Maybe Miracast enforces HDCP and the VA acts accordingly? That's so you can't make unauthorized copies of protected media.

That may well be the cause, but Miracast is mostly used in situations where you want to, for example, use a projector with a notebook and the former is out of reach on the ceiling. In that case the HDCP requirement would be silly as most of the time people will use it to show their Powerpoint slides etc. there’s no copy protection required. Regardless I’m still wondering why it does work with my other monitors and not the VA?

ssassen

PostWed Apr 20, 2022 8:04 am

@roger,

Yes, this indeed proved to be the problem. Any HDCP/DHCP source fed to the VA will result in a black screen, even if that source is a notebook or a Miracast adapter or anything else that sets the HDCP/DHCP flag. This means I'm returning the VA as it is useless to me, any of the older monitors/recorders I have here work just fine, yet they lack the build quality and well rounded featureset of the VA, a shame really as I could see myself using the VA a lot.

ssassen

PostWed Apr 20, 2022 8:56 pm

And I just got confirmation from Microsoft that the more recent and higher spec Wireless Display Adapter 4K has the option to disable DHCP and thus this should work with the VA, too bad I’ve already returned it, but wanted to update this topic just to potentially help someone else that runs into this issue.

bailey_wf

PostMon Dec 05, 2022 8:07 pm

I have the exact same issue you described except I have the newer Microsoft 4K Wireless Display that you mentioned. The settings app for the device does indeed have a switch to enable/disable HDCP but I could find no setting to disable DHCP. I tried switching HDCP off while connected to the Black Magic device and it made NO difference - still a black screen on the TV.

I also changed the Wireless Display refresh rate to the 3 available options: 24, 25 and 30 Hz. The TV remained black the entire time.

Like you, I am astounded that I cannot get these two devices to "play nice"! Any further thoughts or insights? Did you ever find a solution?

roger.magnusson

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 7:31 pm

I think DHCP is a misunderstanding, that's for networks. The copy protection is called HDCP.

bailey_wf

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 8:47 pm

Thanks for the response. I thought the reference to DHCP was a mistake... but I'm grasping at all straws to try to get this to work. Again, with the HDCP setting on the MS 4K adapter switched to "Off" I still get a black screen from my laptop. I don't have any issues using the adapter with any other TV or video device. So, I'm thinking there must be something on the Black Magic side that is preventing success.

Steve Fishwick

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 10:00 pm

It might just be the signal format? I have this unit and it ill not accept anything but 4:2:2 10bit, I have found. Anything RGB is a definite no, at least over SDI - I haven't tried HDMI.

Return to Cinematography