Firmware Update Gen 5 for Ursa Mini Pro G2

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jamie LeJeune

Re: Firmware Update Gen 5 for Ursa Mini Pro G2

PostThu May 05, 2022 11:10 pm

timbutt2 wrote:update the Sidecar in Resolve for the G2 so that it defaults to Color Science 5 when the files are loaded. Currently that's the only method to achieve this when having to hand off the files.
Resolve isn’t the only method. The Sidecar files are simple JSON format text so it’s faster to create Sidecar files for an entire days shoot as a single batch with a simple shell script. Saves a lot of clicking in Resolve.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

carlomacchiavello

PostFri May 06, 2022 8:33 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote:
timbutt2 wrote:update the Sidecar in Resolve for the G2 so that it defaults to Color Science 5 when the files are loaded. Currently that's the only method to achieve this when having to hand off the files.
Resolve isn’t the only method. The Sidecar files are simple JSON format text so it’s faster to create Sidecar files for an entire days shoot as a single batch with a simple shell script. Saves a lot of clicking in Resolve.
Right, but not all people are comfortable with scripting // texting work.
Many people is thrilled from when they start a small black windows where they should write Blackmagic words like sudo, ls, cd, etc

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Jamie LeJeune

PostFri May 06, 2022 9:20 am

carlomacchiavello wrote:Right, but not all people are comfortable with scripting // texting work.
I couldn’t code if my life depended on it, I know zero about actual coding, but those JSON format sidecar files are simple to edit in any text editor and it’s easy on Mac to open a terminal window for a folder and paste in a three line shell script to batch copy one sidecar for every BRAW folder inside the folder. I don’t even have to type in the file path.
www.cinedocs.com

Bastien

PostFri May 06, 2022 9:28 am

Well, my biggest concern is about developing LUTs based on Gen5 color science that are not usable inside the camera, on set.
Again, what is very frustrating is that older, cheaper and smaller cameras from the same manufacturer got this software update 1 year ago.
The URSA G2 is left on the side not benefiting from this in camera software improvement.
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 • DZOFilm Pictor Zooms • Easyrig Vario 5 Stabil G2
Instagram : https://www.instagram.com/bastienchill.dp/

Ellory Yu

PostFri May 06, 2022 2:48 pm

Jamie LeJeune wrote:
carlomacchiavello wrote:Right, but not all people are comfortable with scripting // texting work.
I couldn’t code if my life depended on it, I know zero about actual coding, but those JSON format sidecar files are simple to edit in any text editor and it’s easy on Mac to open a terminal window for a folder and paste in a three line shell script to batch copy one sidecar for every BRAW folder inside the folder. I don’t even have to type in the file path.

Jamie, can you share an online reference and/or examples on how to do this sidecar using JSON scripts? Where can I find the sidecar keys to be used in the JSON pairs? Then how is the JSON file used?
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Jamie LeJeune

PostMon May 09, 2022 7:32 pm

Ellory Yu wrote: Jamie, can you share an online reference and/or examples on how to do this sidecar using JSON scripts? Where can I find the sidecar keys to be used in the JSON pairs? Then how is the JSON file used?
It's in the documents section of the installation package for the Blackmagic RAW SDK along with sample BRAW frame and sample sidecar file.
CleanShot 2022-05-09 at 12.30.02@2x.png
CleanShot 2022-05-09 at 12.30.02@2x.png (124.56 KiB) Viewed 7504 times
CleanShot 2022-05-09 at 12.29.44@2x.png
CleanShot 2022-05-09 at 12.29.44@2x.png (102.4 KiB) Viewed 7504 times
CleanShot 2022-05-09 at 12.30.30@2x.png
CleanShot 2022-05-09 at 12.30.30@2x.png (198.91 KiB) Viewed 7504 times

You can also simply export a sidecar file from Resolve and edit it from there in any text editor. To swap out a 3D LUT just open the LUT in any text editor, copy out the values, and paste them into the sidecar file. Easy peasy.

You don't have to add settings for all the values that sidecar files support. Any value not specified will always default to the value in the BRAW file itself. So, I generally only adjust a few values — the highlight recovery, gamut compression, gamma, gamut, and the 3D LUT options are the only values that I adjust in most cases.

Once I've got the sidecar file set the way I want it, I open the folder of BRAW files in a Terminal window and run this simple ZSH script to clone that single sidecar for every BRAW file in the folder.

Code: Select all
for FILE in *.braw; do
 name=$(echo "$FILE" | cut -f 1 -d '.')
 cp x.sidecar $name.sidecar
done

For this script to work either name the sidecar you want to close as x.sidecar, or change the name in the script to match the name of the sidecar file you are using.

If after all that you need to make bespoke clip by clip adjustments to ISO, exposure or white balance, just load the files into Resolve (if they were already loaded, make sure to restart Resolve so that it reads the newly created sidecar files) adjust them clip by clip, and click the "update sidecar" button. This will preserve what was done in the earlier batch operation and only update the specific values that have been changed.
Last edited by Jamie LeJeune on Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.cinedocs.com

Nathan_H

PostTue May 10, 2022 5:48 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:
Nathan_H wrote:Has anybody talked to them about this at NAAM Boot ?

Strangely disapointing.
Anyway G2 is still a fine camera, was looking for upgrading the otherday...
I would need 15 to 20+k€ to have the same features in 2022 (codec, dynamic range, slow mo, color science, workflow).

So my next update.... might be an Ursa G3 24x36 3:2 when It will show up (let's be honest, it will happen)

I don’t think it’s going to happen. You might want to look at the UMP Broadcast G2 which has Gen 5 and the P6K sensor. It comes with EF mount and is 2K cheaper. It has its limitations in comparison with the UMP 4.6K G2. I wished it had a Film mode switch that changes Gain control to ISO control and other film mode features. But others here have good experience with it. I don’t have it and I have the UMP 4.6K G2 as I mostly do narrative projects.

Right now your G3 is pretty much wishful thinking…. at least for a couple of years. I hope I’m wrong.

It's a wishfull thinking that will take some time (or years).
Pandemic is still a thing, and about G2 upgrade.... I don't understand at all what's happening.

I think G2 is just a small market compared to rest of the hardware software and camera that blackmagic developpers are working on.

That's still hurts of course.
https://vimeo.com/nathanhenneton/showreel2019

Jacobclark

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 12:08 am

Wanting to ping BMD developers again to let them know we didn't stop caring about these issues. Please get us Gen 5 in camera on the UMP G2 as well as RGB Histogram and 8x pinch zoom!

Ellory Yu

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 7:42 am

Jacobclark wrote:Wanting to ping BMD developers again to let them know we didn't stop caring about these issues. Please get us Gen 5 in camera on the UMP G2 as well as RGB Histogram and 8x pinch zoom!

+1. Hopefully soon!
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Steve Fishwick

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 4:12 pm

The pace of development for Resolve seems to be on steroids. Unfortunately the same can't be said for the camera firmware; apart from the G2 the Broadcast G2 is still on a beta firmware after at least a couple of months. It's not a good incentive to invest in BMD cameras, if development is quickly dropped after a couple of years, or less, of model introduction, IMV.

timbutt2

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 9:43 pm

Well, we are fast approaching the 3-Year Mark since the last Firmware Update for the UMPG2. As for the Broadcast G2 I can't speak on that subject, but I feel like the firmware has to be on the same level as the UMP12K and Pockets since it is a newer camera.

I have a feeling that the UMP12K is about to be replaced with the next generation URSA Camera. It's been 2-Years since the 12K was introduced. The UMPG2 will also become End of Life with the next URSA. So what will that be?

First, I would like a final firmware update that at least brings UMPG2 Gen 5 and as well some of the other firmware features now in newer cameras. But I don't think it will happen. I lost hope for that.

So, what will be next? The 12K sensor will be in the next URSA. I think a revised UMP body design will happen. But also we'll see an URSA Micro introduced to fulfill the "box camera" requests. This will bring us to two URSA body options using the same sensor. I think both will utilize CFEXPRESS Cards. The UMP will have dual card slots and the Micro will have one card slot. The UMP will have full XLR ports, and the Micro will have one or two Micro XLR ports. Both will be interchangeable lens mount. I think both will have updated external ports, but the UMP will have a few more options than the Micro. I think the Micro may get a Lemo Timecode Port, and may utilize Lemo connections more. Maybe the Micro may also have Micro SDI ports to keep the size smaller. But the UMP body may also get some Lemo ports as well.

Either way, I'm going to keep an eye out for what is next and use the UMPG2 until that point where a new camera is introduced. I have zero interest in the current 12K now because I know what is next will be better. No reason to upgrade to that until the 12K sensor is in the newer bodies.

Do I wish the UMPG2 could be updated? Yes! But, do I think it will? Not really holding out hope.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Ellory Yu

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 6:32 am

timbutt2 wrote:The UMPG2 will also become End of Life with the next URSA. So what will that be?

I don’t know much what will be of the UMP12K but I doubt the UMPG2 will be EOL. First it is still being marketed. Second, it is the ONLY BMD camera that is listed as Netflix approved. Taking it out leaves BMD nothing in the selection list and mind you, I spoke with a number of producers and that list has a big impact in their decision it process.

timbutt2 wrote:First, I would like a final firmware update that at least brings UMPG2 Gen 5 and as well some of the other firmware features now in newer cameras. But I don't think it will happen. I lost hope for that.

I want this too. I’m disappointed with the way BMD has handled this.

timbutt2 wrote:But also we'll see an URSA Micro introduced to fulfill the "box camera" requests.

Maybe. Not holding my breath anymore.

ohmeibauti

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 7:49 pm

I need some help, I dont understand why is this update is so important for so many users. Once you import your BRAW footage into DaVinci, you can just choose your colourspace, can you not? I still work with the URSA mini Pro G1 and I can change the setting in post in the raw settings.

unless somebody can explain to me that this method only comes with some penalty in regards of quality or color rendering. Im not an expert here, I just assumed that I dont need this camera internal update.

timbutt2

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 5:27 pm

ohmeibauti wrote:I need some help, I dont understand why is this update is so important for so many users. Once you import your BRAW footage into DaVinci, you can just choose your colourspace, can you not? I still work with the URSA mini Pro G1 and I can change the setting in post in the raw settings.

unless somebody can explain to me that this method only comes with some penalty in regards of quality or color rendering. Im not an expert here, I just assumed that I dont need this camera internal update.

I think the demand is more for ProRes at this point. I'm sadly still asked to hand over ProRes to some clientele because they prefer that. So matching a Gen 4 ProRes to a Gen 5 ProRes isn't exactly the easiest for those clients. Especially since most mainly just slap a LUT on in Premiere Pro because they're not professional colorists. It all has to do with matching to the Pockets in ProRes recording.

BRAW isn't necessarily the problem. I've set Resolve up on my computers to Default have the BRAW Settings use Gen 5 for all BRAW footage. This makes matching easiest for me. Again, this doesn't work for the clientele that doesn't embrace Resolve and don't use BRAW.

Bastien

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 5:31 pm

ohmeibauti wrote:I need some help, I dont understand why is this update is so important for so many users. Once you import your BRAW footage into DaVinci, you can just choose your colourspace, can you not? I still work with the URSA mini Pro G1 and I can change the setting in post in the raw settings.

I invite you to read the discussion we have on this topic to find answers like :
- Shooting ProRes doesn't allow you to change the color science in post;
- Matching cameras on set (for example a BMPCC 6K with an URSA G2) is currently impossible if not all the recent BMD cameras are updated with the same firmware and using the same color science;
- Developing a LUT to use in camera as well as in post is currently more difficult due to the difference between Gen 4 (in camera) and Gen 5 (in post, with the Raw tab). In fact, you need to create 2 LUTs, one for Gen 4 and one for Gen 5.

By the way, this topic is also discussing the overall problem of giving firmware updates (with more features and new color science) to older cameras (BMPCC 4K) but not to the newest, more capable and more expansive ones (URSA G2).
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 • DZOFilm Pictor Zooms • Easyrig Vario 5 Stabil G2

robert Hart

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 6:42 pm

I suspect you may not see a revised firmware version for the G2. There may be a practical limit to how much can be wrought by BM out of the existing electronic design versus introducing some unexpected bads.

The existing G2 and 12K seem to be fairly matured. One certainly does not read as many tales of woe as for the G1. Scavengers for repairable wrecks like me have not seen any 12Ks looking for a rescue.

One physically damaged G2 offered on eBay went off at what I thought was a high price.

In fairness, the G1 has been around for a fair old while now. Specimens I have recently seen have not been hangar queens but honest workers with worn handgrips, lens mount faces, skin and hair off the outside and dust inside.

Major revision of the existing bodies would almost certainly require revisions to the internal hardware profiles and that might be asking for un-necessary trouble. "If it ain't broke, then don't fix it."

My imagining, maybe wrongly is that there might be minor cosmetic re-style to the fronts of the of the side-covers and base cover, maybe more squarish and or the main body being shortened at the rear. I for one favour the existing taper-front for easier manual access to the lens controls and being easier able to see what it going on without having twist and strain to look around a flat corner.

A shorter body at the rear would permit a rear-attaching subassembly containing the media card docks, including caseless SSD docks and the battery mount making up the original length. The downside is that the side covers, the base cover, the main frame and upper cover would all have to be majorly redesigned for little real benefit except to make space for a caseless SSD dock.

The troublesome USB port as a media connection would be eliminated, needed only for firmware updates.

BM would have to be careful of assailing the sensitivities of Red Corp as this might be interpreted as stackable modules which Red may have hogtied with patents. The existing design is fine albeit time-consuming to pull apart for a repair.

I can now strip one bare in 45 minutes but careful re-assembly takes me longer. Factor in the cost of labour for the daily productivity of say four units per repairman for simple substitutions and you can see why beyond a certain point, repairs are uneconomic, especially if dinky intermittent faults require hunting down.

A major redesign risks opening the floodgates of more warranty returns. I don't think anyone or BM wants that.

Ellory Yu

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 5:36 am

robert Hart wrote:Factor in the cost of labour for the daily productivity of say four units per repairman for simple substitutions and you can see why beyond a certain point, repairs are uneconomic, especially if dinky intermittent faults require hunting down.

It will be cheaper for BM to just replace rather than repair, with a replacement cost of 15-20% of the list price.

Sean van Berlo

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 9:35 am

timbutt2 wrote:
ohmeibauti wrote:BRAW isn't necessarily the problem. I've set Resolve up on my computers to Default have the BRAW Settings use Gen 5 for all BRAW footage. This makes matching easiest for me. Again, this doesn't work for the clientele that doesn't embrace Resolve and don't use BRAW.

How do you default to that?

Steve Fishwick

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 10:25 am

Ellory Yu wrote:with a replacement cost of 15-20% of the list price

That seems quite a margin, Ellory? The FPGA based processing is more expensive to produce in quantity than similar ASIC based designs, even though initial development can be quicker and more cost effective. There are more limits too to how adaptable FPGA programming is, than many assume, and the lack of a new firmware may be simply that the G2 has reached its limit in possibilities for future firmware programming. Each generation of hardware is developed in tandem with current codec and software development and Gen 5 didn't exist when this model was introduced.

It's perhaps broadly analogous as to why some older PCs cannot be upgraded to Windows 11, they lack the hardware components necessary.
Last edited by Steve Fishwick on Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bastien

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 10:31 am

Steve Fishwick wrote:
Ellory Yu wrote:with a replacement cost of 15-20% of the list price

That seems quite a margin, Ellory? The FPGA based processing is more expensive to produce in quantity than similar ASIC based designs, even though initial development can be quicker and more cost effective. There are limits too to how adaptable FPGA programming is and the lack of a new firmware may be simply that the G2 has reached its limit in possibilities for future firmware programming.
So it reached its limit back in 2019, the year of its launch, considering that it never received any update since then ?
On the other hand the BMPCC 4K, released in 2018, still receives firmware updates up to this day.
Should we understand that the URSA G2 has been released with lesser quality electronics that cannot handle a firmware update supported by an older and cheaper camera like the BMPCC 4K ?
In summary, that’s a 0 year vs 4 years firmware updates support.

Steve Fishwick

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 10:37 am

Bastien wrote:On the other hand the BMPCC 4K, released in 2018, still receives firmware updates up to this day.
Should we understand that the URSA G2 has been released with lesser quality electronics that cannot handle a firmware update supported by an older and cheaper camera like the BMPCC 4K ?

It's a valid point but the 4K may just contain a different type of FPGA that can be updated. It wouldn't be that the G2 has lesser components, it probably has better ones but they were designed more strictly for their intended purpose - the dual gain iso that gives the G2 its very fast sensor read out, for example, may take up a great deal of processing already... but then I'm not a hardware engineer and it could just be model differentiation for marketing purposes so as to aid new 12K sales. The G2 is still around, I suspect, since it is the only Netflix approved camera currently in BMDs line up and it would be perhaps unwise to drop it until another arrives or is similarly approved.
Last edited by Steve Fishwick on Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bastien

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 10:48 am

Steve Fishwick wrote:
Bastien wrote:On the other hand the BMPCC 4K, released in 2018, still receives firmware updates up to this day.

It's a valid point but the 4K may just contain a different type of FPGA that can be updated. It wouldn't be that the G2 has lesser components, it probably has better ones but they were designed more strictly for their intended purpose...but then I'm not a hardware engineer and it could just be model differentiation for marketing purposes so as to aid new 12K sales. The G2 is still around, I suspect, since it is the only Netflix approved camera currently in BMDs line up and it would be perhaps unwise to drop it until another arrives or is similarly approved.
Well, then it would be such a bad decision from the developers of this camera. As far as it was released one year after the BMPCC 4K, this would mean that they chose to put more restriction in the FPGA of the camera making it less flexible than its cheaper predecessor.
By the way, I highly suspect that they were already working on the development of the Gen 5 color science when releasing the URSA G2. So this would mean that they really didn’t care about this camera being future proof - future being a big word considering that the Gen 5 color science was introduced only 2 years after the release of the URSA G2.

Steve Fishwick

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 10:52 am

Bastien wrote:Well, then it would be such a bad decision from the developers of this camera. As far as it was released one year after the BMPCC 4K, this would mean that they chose to put more restriction in the FPGA of the camera making it less flexible than its cheaper predecessor.

If it were so, it wouldn't necessarily be a bad decision, since components like these are selected off the shelf, they are not manufactured by BMD, and the unexpected possibilities of one or the other might not be revealed until later. Even if they were working on Gen 5 in 2019, the G2 probably dates back to 2017 in developmental terms, perhaps.

As I say there's a lot more processing going on in the G2, particularly with that sensor - the 4K has dual iso non-concurrently, whereas the G2 runs them at the same time, a la Alexa, to get very good readout speed and excellent DR. It's the same sensor as earlier Ursas but this feature was new. There simply might not be anymore processing power for that and Gen 5 too, I don't know. Pure speculation again on my part. :)

Ellory Yu

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 11:39 am

I already gave up on the hope that a new firmware will be release for the UMP G2. Sad but it is what it is.

I think BM will be worth the purchase on low priced ticket items like BMPCC, ATEMS, and the Micro Panels. I think anything that is less than $2,500USD is where one would look to buy with the BM brand. That was if it breaks or they decide to put the product in an end of life early as they come out with newer cheaper models, it’s not painful on the pocket. Don’t get me wrong, I love the URSA but at the $6K and up, it’s probably better to look at a more reliable and supported brand.

Interesting that we are talking about this because a couple of weeks ago, my Panasonic GH5 had a hiccup. I’ve had that camera for 4 years and have been using it for video work and I think that camera model has been around longer than I had like. But I called Panasonic and send it to them for repair the same day I called them. They had the viewfinder part that was malfunctioning and repaired it. Soup to nuts, it cost me $217. A bit steep for a small repair on an old camera but my point is that they had the parts and within 10 days, I got my camera back and all is good.

Meanwhile, I sent in my Micro Panel to BM for repair because all of a sudden the Shadow Knob fails to work with DVR. It has been over a week now since BM received it and the only email I got from BM support was from yesterday letting me know that it is still on the bench for the technician to look at. And for a $895 device, it will be probably cheaper for them to charge me a 10% replacement fee and send out a new one. That is faster and cheaper for everyone and not getting into the business of fixing at all since it seems like they don’t have the resources of the big boys (Panasonic, Sony, etc.). Still waiting to hear what the diagnosis is. :(
Last edited by Ellory Yu on Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Fishwick

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 11:48 am

Ellory Yu wrote:I already gave up on the hope that a new firmware will be release for the UMP G2. Sad but it is what it is.

It's a very fine camera still, Ellory. I'd buy one if I was a cinema DP still today.

Ellory Yu

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 11:58 am

Steve Fishwick wrote:
Ellory Yu wrote:I already gave up on the hope that a new firmware will be release for the UMP G2. Sad but it is what it is.

It's a very fine camera still, Ellory. I'd buy one if I was a cinema DP still today.

I know and I am enjoying my G2. Just saying because like Tim, I have been banging the drums for firmware updates since 2-3 years ago and it has just fallen on BM deaf ears.

WahWay

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 12:38 pm

Considering its been quiet a while for any new camera release by BMD standard (I don't count the Pocket 6K G2 as a new camera, only a rehashed dumbed down version of the 6K Pro) the camera tech department would have plenty of time to develop firmware updates for their existing cameras. 6 months for any new cameras or firmware feature updates is a very long time in the camera world.

Bastien

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 1:38 pm

Steve Fishwick wrote:
Bastien wrote:Well, then it would be such a bad decision from the developers of this camera. As far as it was released one year after the BMPCC 4K, this would mean that they chose to put more restriction in the FPGA of the camera making it less flexible than its cheaper predecessor.

If it were so, it wouldn't necessarily be a bad decision, since components like these are selected off the shelf, they are not manufactured by BMD, and the unexpected possibilities of one or the other might not be revealed until later. Even if they were working on Gen 5 in 2019, the G2 probably dates back to 2017 in developmental terms, perhaps.

As I say there's a lot more processing going on in the G2, particularly with that sensor - the 4K has dual iso non-concurrently, whereas the G2 runs them at the same time, a la Alexa, to get very good readout speed and excellent DR. It's the same sensor as earlier Ursas but this feature was new. There simply might not be anymore processing power for that and Gen 5 too, I don't know. Pure speculation again on my part. :)
I am convinced that the URSA G2 could handle a firmware update. I don’t think there is much processing power needed to work on a different gamma curve and color science. It’s just a swap technically speaking. The struggle could happen in the updating process but this camera has already survived one firmware update the year of its release (bug fixes if I remember correctly).
As far as the processing proper is higher on the G2, I am expecting better or same firmware support compared to a Pocket camera.
Still crossing my fingers for a firmware to be released but I believe more and more that the G2 will be out of their catalog very soon.

Bastien

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 1:41 pm

WahWay wrote:Considering its been quiet a while for any new camera release by BMD standard (I don't count the Pocket 6K G2 as a new camera, only a rehashed dumbed down version of the 6K Pro) the camera tech department would have plenty of time to develop firmware updates for their existing cameras. 6 months for any new cameras or firmware feature updates is a very long time in the camera world.
Indeed, as far as coding goes nowadays, impressive stuff can be developed firmware wise to provide new features to older systems. If we even consider the G2 as an old camera, which is definitely not the case.

Ellory Yu

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 3:41 pm

The interesting thing is that the UMP G2 is still being sold by retailer "new". That should still be suitable for firmware upgrades. The one that is of importance is the Gen 5 update, and then some. But this has been asked since Gen 5 came out on the Pocket 4K. :(

ohmeibauti

PostThu Dec 29, 2022 3:47 pm

Hi everybody,
apologies if this is a rookie question but, why is it so important for the camera to receive an update that supports the Gen5 color science?

it is my understanding that once shot in BRAW (as I do in my Ursa mini Pro Gen1) and once opened in davinci, I can very easily select which color space and which gamma curve I want the sensor data to be interpreted with.
or did I get it completely wrong? please help me understand this discussion.

roger.magnusson

PostThu Dec 29, 2022 3:48 pm

It's important for people who have to deliver ProRes to clients right after the shoot, or for live broadcast/streaming.

Bastien

PostThu Dec 29, 2022 5:39 pm

ohmeibauti wrote:Hi everybody,
apologies if this is a rookie question but, why is it so important for the camera to receive an update that supports the Gen5 color science?

it is my understanding that once shot in BRAW (as I do in my Ursa mini Pro Gen1) and once opened in davinci, I can very easily select which color space and which gamma curve I want the sensor data to be interpreted with.
or did I get it completely wrong? please help me understand this discussion.
With all my respect, if you would have read this discussion, you wouldn’t ask how to understand it.
All the reasons are already clearly explained in this very discussion.
I don’t think that rewriting things again and again is necessary.

David Chapman

PostSun Jul 30, 2023 3:57 pm

Now that it's about to be August of 2023, just checking to see if the G2 ever received Gen5 color science...
David Chapman
Just another creative dude with a camera.

Bastien

PostSun Jul 30, 2023 4:29 pm

David Chapman wrote:Now that it's about to be August of 2023, just checking to see if the G2 ever received Gen5 color science...
Still nothing.

timbutt2

PostMon Jul 31, 2023 3:45 pm

Four Years Later...

Ellory Yu

PostMon Jul 31, 2023 7:58 pm

It really sucks. I have to put a disclaimer now in the client agreement that if they want Gen 5 in a Prores codec, they have to wait for a couple of days before they can get the clips. This infuriates some of the clients who then ask that we shoot using a different camera (Sony mostly, at times RED) at a cost to us, or if they agree, it’s so much of unnecessary effort and hassle for us to shoot in Gen 4 BRAW, change the CS to Gen 5 and adjust id needed, then transcode to Prores for delivery within two days. BRAW is not the choice of the clients, it’s Prores usually.

timbutt2

PostTue Aug 01, 2023 12:06 am

Yeah, even when I've shot Arri the codec of choice for clients is ProRes. In fact, I don't think I've shot ARRIRAW on an Alexa since 2018.

I love Blackmagic RAW. And, I shoot it always for myself when I'm doing post. But if I am handing off footage it's always ProRes.

Daniel Rheaume

PostSun Aug 06, 2023 9:23 pm

Steve Fishwick wrote:

Not sure why I feel compelled to beat this dead horse, but re-reading this post it struck me that if it were the case that the G2 simply cannot functionally support a Gen5 update, all that BM would need to do to satisfy me personally is just say that. As of now, it's just a promise that was not delivered on for multiple years, with a camera that is still being sold as new at retail. If it's outdated, just say so. If it isn't, then maybe explain the hold up? I love BM to death, and I love Grant Petty and his philosophies. But we aren't asking for details on a camera release date, or some proprietary strategy. We just want to know if:
A) - An Ursa G2/Gen5 update IS still scheduled at some future date as previously was implied.
B) - The engineer's discovered that it's technically not feasible and cannot deliver it.
C) - BM has made the G2 officially EOL and will not put any more time or money in to this camera in any way shape or form.

I love my G2. I just need some resolution! haha!
Best,
Daniel

AbdoulUK

PostSun Aug 06, 2023 11:01 pm

Agreed. And I'm slightly tired of everyone having to tip toe around and have to pre-disclaim any complaint by praising how amazing Blackmagic are etc. Yes, great company, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be held to the same standard as every other company which is communication with your customers. An update was promised years ago, its been radio silence since. I understand communication can sometimes be delayed but years with not saying a word to us after spending thousands, just feels wrong and a little bit manipulative too, as without information, it keeps us in limbo and making decisions about our next move. 2 years later, can someone just tell us if we're getting a Gen5 update or not? I remember the EXACT same thing happening with the original BMCC, promised updates, years later no word.

John Brawley

PostSun Aug 06, 2023 11:21 pm

AbdoulUK wrote: An update was promised years ago, its been radio silence since.

My memory might be wrong but did anyone from BMD ever promise to do gen5?

AbdoulUK wrote:
I remember the EXACT same thing happening with the original BMCC, promised updates, years later no word.

Can you be specific about what promised update didn’t happen? Again I don’t recall any that were promised but not delivered.

I’m all for getting updates that should happen but I just don’t recall BMD making promises like this. Happy to be proved wrong.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Ellory Yu

PostMon Aug 07, 2023 7:17 am

John, Appreciate all your efforts here and fronting for Blackmagic. Without disrespect, can we get someone from Blackmagic to at least just bring closure to this matter. It’s a simple Yes or No if Gen 5 will ever be released for the UMP G2, and are G2 owners getting any more firmware updates? I think that is a fair request, particularly this model is still being sold in retail and owners have been waiting for over 2 years for a word.

Bastien

PostMon Aug 07, 2023 7:47 am

I have just sent an umpteenth request to BMD about this subject.

Videobegin

PostMon Aug 07, 2023 10:21 am

Without updating firmware, BMD loose money no ?

As beginner I don't undderdstand all implications but usually, you have two cams for a take with near same caracteristics.
People who have enough money to buy ump12K, spend less for B-cam with bmpcc6K then ump4,6KG2 :shock:

Ellory Yu

PostMon Aug 07, 2023 12:06 pm

Videobegin wrote:People who have enough money to buy ump12K, spend less for B-cam with bmpcc6K then ump4,6KG2 :shock:

This is not about who has more money to buy a more expensive camera. The UMP12K has its uses and niche just like the ump 4.6g2. The UMP4.6G2 is more in used and selected in many of the productions over the UMP12K including the only BMD camera in Netflix list, which the UMP12K is not. Thus, BMD has it still sold in the market because those who need the ump4.6g2 will buy the ump4.6g2 and not the UMP12K. It is not necessarily that a UMP12K is good as an a-cam and the ump4.6g2 is for b-cam. It can be vice versa… again depending on the need and usability of the cam. There is a reason when the 4.6kg2 has not been sunset yet and is still being sold today and is in stock. Here are examples of a few online resellers who have it in stock:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _4_6k.html

https://www.adorama.com/bmcieuruprg2.html

https://www.markertek.com/product/bmd-u ... xtEALw_wcB

https://a.co/d/afYm24k

and many more …

Bastien

PostMon Aug 07, 2023 12:11 pm

Bastien wrote:I have just sent an umpteenth request to BMD about this subject.
Please find BMD support’s answer to this morning’s email :

« Here in support we do not have this level of information I'm sorry to say.

As previously mentioned we are not aware of what updates will arrive for which cameras until they are available on the website.
The only option we have is to report to the product management team that these requests are being made so they are aware of what our customers are requesting.
The URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 is still a current product on our website and is still being manufactured, it has not yet become EOL, but this does not guarantee the unit will receive or require further firmware updates.
I understand that there are customers looking for an answer on whether Gen5 will be available or not for the URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, but this is not information we have access to I'm sorry to say. »

Again, no clue about what’s really going on in BMD headquarters.

Daniel Rheaume

PostTue Aug 08, 2023 5:00 am

John Brawley wrote:
AbdoulUK wrote: An update was promised years ago, its been radio silence since.

My memory might be wrong but did anyone from BMD ever promise to do gen5?

AbdoulUK wrote:
I remember the EXACT same thing happening with the original BMCC, promised updates, years later no word.

Can you be specific about what promised update didn’t happen? Again I don’t recall any that were promised but not delivered.

I’m all for getting updates that should happen but I just don’t recall BMD making promises like this. Happy to be proved wrong.

JB

To my knowledge John is definitely correct in that there was no explicit promise - however, there definitely were things said that would have implied it to the average BM user at the time.
Here is a clip from the Gen5 curve live stream announcement 3 years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/live/sV8iFzpuecA?feature=share&t=3611
Grant says "So we'll roll this out to other Blackmagic Design cameras as well..."
3 years ago it would have been a safe assumption that a statement like that meant the Ursa G2. But, no, it wasn't an explicit promise. It was one of the few cameras at the time an average person would have reasonably expected to be "rolled out" to, however.

The next year we had the announcement about the 6K Pro, and that was the another mention of Gen5 color science, now being added to the 6K Pro. And when Grant mentions the 6k Pro, he talks of trying to put Ursa Mini Pro features into the 6K Pro, implying it was not superseding the UMP, rather inheriting some of the features as a "child" camera. This would be another reasonable inference for an average BM user that the parent camera would also receive the update, since it was still above the 6K Pro in model hierarchy. Of course, I realize the 6K pro did get some cool new features that weren't available on the UMP, like motorized ND, better screen, etc... so even being a lower product line offering, it's not entirely apples to apples.

I simply offer this as an explanation as to one possible source of how the idea of Gen5 color science in the UMP G2 may have entered the BM user zeitgeist.
If you ask me, it's just ambiguous enough for some plausible deniability, but it most certainly was an assumption that was widely made and to this day has not been put to rest.

Best,
-Daniel

John Brawley

PostTue Aug 08, 2023 5:12 am

The reality is that BMD have never done roadmaps. They don’t forward announce anything.

(I can think of some versions of the original Ursa that never shipped, And that they dropped GS and gyro data after announcing it for two cameras that were yet to ship but that’s a different situation to this)

With all previous camera cycles after a couple of years of bug fixes and small updates they park the firmware. That is their history and MO.

They have a tiny dev team and they are no doubt working on newer and yet to be announced product.

We might wish it was different. I think it’s drawing a very long bow to infer it was “promised”.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Ellory Yu

PostTue Aug 08, 2023 5:26 am

John Brawley wrote:The reality is that BMD have never done roadmaps. They don’t forward announce anything.

(I can think of some versions of the original Ursa that never shipped, And that they dropped GS and gyro data after announcing it for two cameras that were yet to ship but that’s a different situation to this)

With all previous camera cycles after a couple of years of bug fixes and small updates they park the firmware. That is their history and MO.

They have a tiny dev team and they are no doubt working on newer and yet to be announced product.

We might wish it was different. I think it’s drawing a very long bow to infer it was “promised”.

JB

I have experience what JB is saying and agrees with him that given the history and MO of BMD, there’s no doubt that a Gen 5 color science firmware update will ever be delivered for the UMP G2. Like many of you, I know this is not what we want to hear. Maybe an URSA with Gen 5 or 6, and many more features is in the works and for me, if the numbers are right, it might just be a good thing. So Folks, how about we just put this to bed?

Daniel Rheaume

PostTue Aug 08, 2023 5:33 am

John Brawley wrote:They have a tiny dev team and they are no doubt working on newer and yet to be announced product.
JB

This would be exciting and quiet a lot of the G2/Gen5 chatter. I think, to beat this dead horse, one of the main issues is that it's not an end EOL camera as far as retail is concerned. So a new product would at least help formally send the G2 into it's heaven for well loved, aging cameras that don't get any more updates.

John Brawley wrote:I think it’s drawing a very long bow to infer it was “promised”.
JB

Absolutely - just want to be clear about my last post - I went back to those videos to refresh my memory as to why I thought it was coming, and I did not find anything that promised it. You are quite correct in that. I think it was just the assumption at the time with the information we had about current camera offerings and where they belonged in the product line. But when one assumes, one makes an...aherm..."donkey out of you and me".

Thanks for your continued input on this board - I personally am very impressed that you spend the time to help answer questions!
Best,
Daniel
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography