Is a clip saved if the battery dies during recording ?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

redhead

Is a clip saved if the battery dies during recording ?

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 5:40 pm

Bmpcc 6k pro : If the battery dies , say after 30mins of recording, will the footage up until the point of power loss still be saved to the ssd drive ?

carlomacchiavello

Re: Is a clip saved if the battery dies during recording ?

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 8:34 pm

Should be. If you not in a cosmic unlucky moment, long clip be saved until few fraction of seconds before power stop. Braw is a intra frame recording codec, that mean save and compress sigle frame sequentially, without some very rare problems you have shot on disk.

Ps try to avoid use Exfat file system if you use windows. Windows when see some garbage from stopped files recording try to repair (it ruin) files and often the real causes of problem is windows related of chkdsk command. I removed the auto repair from regedit with a simple command and now also from windows I nevermore loss files for corruption.
Recently I prefer to move all my big support for big file to hfs+ file system, also support for cinema camera, it’s common Mac OS file system, strong like Ntfs.
To read and write under windows I invested 15$ for paragon hfs+ driver.
Pps for exFat fans: exFat, called also Fat64 was a bad idea of Ms to expand original file system of WindowsCe developed for 6gb max drive (that allow you to understand how is old this file system) to avoid to move all to Ntfs (more strong and reliable file system from old Windows Nt), but this “upgrade” causes a tons of problems that most of people not see be cause not record on these device big files, but video files excessive big found the weak point of that FS.
Trust me, eXfat if you can, avoid it, and your shoot will be more reliable on support.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

redhead

Re: Is a clip saved if the battery dies during recording ?

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 5:40 am

Thanks for the info

Return to Cinematography