Updated Color Space Transform for G2

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

AbdoulUK

Updated Color Space Transform for G2

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 12:36 pm

Hi guys,
I've been trawling the forum and have gathered advice given for colour space transform etc but with the introduction of GEN 5 colourspace within DR, id love to know the proper settings I should be inputting for my URSA G2 to get a proper transform. Also if you'd humour me, the settings where I want to be set to apply a Kodak film LUT 2345

I know this is a basic question so forgive me, I've just noticed within my research that there are some people who do a Basic CST at the beginning of their node tree, then do the grade in between and then apply a Kodak LUT at the end.

Thank you.

timbutt2

Re: Updated Color Space Transform for G2

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 4:27 pm

If you shoot BRAW then you can navigate to Camera RAW Settings in the Project Settings and tell Resolve and the Project to convert all the Gen 4 Color Science footage to Gen 5 through the RAW. I've saved this as a Default setting for all new Projects.

Then with your first CST Node you can do Blackmagic Gen 5 Film to DaVinci Wide Gamut DaVinci Intermediate. Do all your grade in the following nodes, and then close out with a final CST that goes from DWG to Rec709. That's my basic approach to start with a saved CST Node Tree PowerGrade.

The Kodak Film LUT 2345 can be applied after that Second CST towards the end of the pipeline. You can choose to go from DWG to a different color space and then transform that to the Kodak LUT using the right LUT input. I'll have to look at what options are there again for the LUT as I haven't used any LUTs for a while and can't remember off the top of my head.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Jamie LeJeune

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 12:33 am

The Kodak and Fuji print LUTs that install with Resolve were designed specifically to be applied to film negative scans in Cineon log as a display transform used in digital intermediate workflows where the result of the grade was going through a film-out back to print stock for projection.
To use them for a digital finish from digital cinema camera source media (a purpose for which they were not designed), they should be applied after a transform from your working color space to the Cineon log transfer function curve and also with a color matrix transform (usually in the form of a LUT) to adjust the color gamut of the working color space to account for (as much as is possible) the amorphous gamut of scanned film negative. These days there are plenty of film emulation plugins made specifically to be used with digital cinema camera log/raw sources that will deliver good results with less difficulty. Two of the better ones to take a look at are Filmbox and Colourlab Look Designer. Filmbox has the advantage of additionally including emulation options for film halation, grain, dust and gate weave.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

timbutt2

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 1:53 am

I'll also add a plug for Dehancer Pro: https://www.dehancer.com

"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Ellory Yu

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 6:32 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote:Two of the better ones to take a look at are Filmbox and Colourlab Look Designer. Filmbox has the advantage of additionally including emulation options for film halation, grain, dust and gate weave.

I like Filmbox and have used it in one production run. It is rather expensive and on a Windows PC, it only works with a NVidea GPU. I had an AMD card and had to get an NVidea card just for it and for the duration of the project. Colourlab Look Design is something I have been looking into and for less than 1K, it’s worth the investment.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Uli Plank

PostSun Feb 05, 2023 2:27 am

FilmConvert Nitrate is worth a look too, quite a bit cheaper and still better than any LUTs.
They seem to have their New Year's sale still going on.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to Cinematography