Metadata logging for Vox pops?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Wildthing

Metadata logging for Vox pops?

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 2:29 am

Hi,

I have a corporate shoot coming up where we'll have a diary room and a journalist performing interviews, with a fast turnaround on edit. It'll be shot on an UMPG2.

Is there any way that the journalist can record where there are good Vox pops into metadata using the remote bluetooth control app? - similar to the 'Good Take' feature, but during a longer continuous take?

Ideally, it would show up as a flag or something similar in resolve, meaning that I can just jump straight to that timecode to pull out the good pops?

Does anyone have any other suggestions on other ways to do this?

Cheers!
Apple M2 Max 96GB, UMPG2, BMPCC6kPro

timbutt2

Re: Metadata logging for Vox pops?

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 2:39 am

The best options would have been to use an old Adobe App that I don't even know if it still exists. It was a Live Logger App that allowed you to log moments that could then be imported into Premiere. I tested it back in 2014/2015 and found it still to not be that great. I have a feeling it went away in the late 2010s as another abandoned Adobe idea.

Otherwise, there's no way to do what you're asking inside of the camera. My suggestion would be to use timecode and jot down good moments based on timecode and then add markers. But that's the best solution I can think of.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Wildthing

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 3:44 am

timbutt2 wrote: My suggestion would be to use timecode and jot down good moments based on timecode and then add markers. But that's the best solution I can think of.

Thanks - This is essentially my fallback, but I guess you're at the whim of the interviewer to remember to do that.
I've found this app, but not sure how good it'll be
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/timecode- ... d590534084

Cheers
Apple M2 Max 96GB, UMPG2, BMPCC6kPro

timbutt2

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 3:54 am

Wildthing wrote:
timbutt2 wrote: My suggestion would be to use timecode and jot down good moments based on timecode and then add markers. But that's the best solution I can think of.

Thanks - This is essentially my fallback, but I guess you're at the whim of the interviewer to remember to do that.
I've found this app, but not sure how good it'll be
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/timecode- ... d590534084

Cheers

Yeah, that app seems like it should work just the same as Adobe Prelude Live Logger. Live Logger was introduced in 2013 it seems, and was discontinued in 2021 along with Prelude.

Sometimes it is helpful to have an AC or Script Supervisor for handling these things so it's not on the interviewer.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Return to Cinematography