If BMD were to quit cinema cameras...

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Michel Rabe

If BMD were to quit cinema cameras...

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 10:48 am

If BMD really were to quit cinema cameras, wouldn't they then be free to license BRAW to manufacturers like Panasonic, Sigma, Kinefinity, Z-Cam, Fujifilm ect for in-camera 'raw' recording?

Samuel S

Re: If BMD were to quit cinema cameras...

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 12:44 pm

My assumption is that yes, a few manufacturers will consider requesting a license once Red's internal raw patent expires in 2025. I would bet ProRes Raw is more likely to find its way onto bodies, though.

To be clear, this is just my Scooby-Doo level of investigation based on circulating rumors over the past several years.

Michel Rabe

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 1:37 pm

I would not assume that RED just lets it's patent run out though which would make Braw all the more valuable.

Sean van Berlo

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 2:52 pm

Pretty sure BRAW is already available to other manufacturers (see: Sigma, Panasonic), but the sensor needs to be profiled quite extensively (and it might even have to be coded into the FPGA?) so most manufacturers don't bother with it. The other reason is that yes, Blackmagic is a competitor so they don't want to to use their products.

Greg Lee

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 3:34 pm

I’d bet this is indeed the way forward for BM, as far as cameras go. New hardware seems like high risk and possibly very low yield, but getting licensing cash for existing IP is zero risk, potentially high yield.

DaVinci Resolve is making big inroads into Hollywood as an editing platform to potentially replace the archaic - and somewhat abandoned - Adobe Premiere. Pursuing a bigger share of that market similarly seems low risk and high yield. Whereas Blackmagic cameras have arguably been technologically outclassed by offerings from Sony, Canon, etc., Resolve is currently the best product in the NLE space, and it’s not particularly close.

I think the 6K Pro will be their flagship small camera for years, and wouldn’t count on major new releases in that space. IMO, 2 cents, and all that.

rick.lang

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 4:52 pm

Greg Lee wrote:… DaVinci Resolve is making big inroads into Hollywood as an editing platform to potentially replace the archaic - and somewhat abandoned - Adobe Premiere...

And yet the Oscar for Best Picture went to a film “100% edited in Premiere Pro!” Mind boggling if that quote is accurate.
Rick Lang

Michel Rabe

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 5:19 pm

Greg Lee wrote:New hardware seems like high risk and possibly very low yield, but getting licensing cash for existing IP is zero risk, potentially high yield.

That's my thought too.

And if Resolve (hopefully) matures to a competitive NLE in the next years plus RED can extend their patent, like the disgusting pharma industry do theirs, then there'll be an even stronger case for licensing in-camera Braw.

Return to Cinematography