Broadcast G2 with Streaming Bridge

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Adam Copland

Broadcast G2 with Streaming Bridge

PostTue Jul 19, 2022 5:29 am

Hi all,

Has anybody successfully got an URSA broadcast G2 working with a streaming bridge yet?

We don't seem to be having much luck although the streaming bridge works perfectly with a Web Presenter HD and an ATEM mini.

We've tried it in a number of different ways but event direct connect doesn't work i.e. connecting them directly with a CAT 5 cable.

Mike Ambrose

Re: Broadcast G2 with Streaming Bridge

PostTue Jul 19, 2022 1:33 pm

I've had great success with this.

A bit of understanding networking goes a long way here. (Not sure where you're at as far as that goes.) I'll also start from step 1 just to cover everything.

Update camera and streaming bridge firmware.

The ATEM desktop software has a utility for creating config files. You create a config file that goes onto the camera. This tells the camera where to find the bridge (IP or hostname). I recommend setting a static IP on the streaming bridge and typing that into the config utility (by default it uses hostname).

After you plug in your network adapter ensure you get an IP on the camera itself. You should be able to see the DHCP address in the menu (or if you go static you should be able to ping the camera).

Next, copy your config file to the camera using an SD card and select that profile. Once you start your stream it shouldn't take more than a few seconds to connect.

A few things to note:
Manually modifying the config file is possible (such as to change the IP- no need to be at a computer with the utility to make a new file). It seems the camera ignores the bitrate settings and is fully automatic.

TalkBack audio is one direction only (ATEM to camera).

This is possible to do over WiFi if you use a WiFi to wired bridge like the IOGEAR Universal Ethernet to Wi-Fi Adapter https://a.co/d/65GkWge (this will take additional config on the device itself before you can plug it into the camera).

fcormz

PostWed Jan 11, 2023 3:32 am

Can you explain further the static IP setup with the streaming bridge? When I attempt to, the device goes offline. When I am connected via auto ip, It seems every few minutes or so my ursa g2 stops streaming to the bridge, and can only stream again when the camera is powered off and on again. Very frustrating but when it is connected, the quality is incredible.

Thanks for the help

Mike Ambrose

PostThu Jan 12, 2023 3:46 pm

This sounds like a network issue potentially.

The difference between static and hostname based connection has to do with A) the ease-of-use and B) your network topology.

Hostname based will try to automatically find your Streaming Bridge which is convenient but only works if your devices are on the same network segment. If you have the camera and SB on 2 different subnets you probably won't be able to use hostname based connections (unless you have a DNS server to resolve names for you).

If you're using the camera outside your network (such as over an LTE connection) you probably do want the hostname method unless you have a static IP on your internet connection.

There should be no difference in how the streaming itself works once connected. Hostname vs Static IP only affects how the connection is made, nothing after that.

What's your topology? Wired and on the same network?

fcormz

PostTue Jan 17, 2023 1:43 am

I am receiving the stream from a remote location which has the G2 connected directly to a router. I am now having success for the most part using DHCP but with one major issue. The connection starts off perfect but with about a 7- 8 frame audio difference. If I keep the stream running for a while, the stream will make a quick adjustment, and the audio and video will be in perfect sync. I can't figure out exactly how to replicate the stream fix so in the meantime I am running a 8 frame delay through the ATEM, but somewhere throughout the stream it will always jump back to normal sync and I franticly turn off the ATEM delay. Could this issue be fixed with status ip switched on?

fcormz

PostThu Jan 19, 2023 8:16 pm

After testing further and going back and forth with tech support, It seems that the initial connection starts with an 8 frame delay, but if I run a live stream and start hitting command buttons on bitfocus companion through the local network, the streaming bridge will buffer slightly and then continue perfectly with no audio lag. Bizzare. Anyone have issues with their streaming bridge having communication issues with other network gear? I am running a pretty powerful netgear AV switch going straight into a gigabit ethernet router.

OlliVan

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 7:58 pm

I just bought a Streaming Bridge. I got it kinda working immediately. However, the camera stops streaming randomly and the only way to make it work again is by removing and replugging the Ethernet adapter and hope it starts working again. Sometimes it works fine for an hour and sometimes it stops working after a few seconds. I have also had similar problems with the YouTube streaming using phone as well as various Ethernet adapters. I don't have a Belkin adapter as recommended in the manual but I doubt the chip in that adapter is manufactured by Belkin anyway.

I didn't immediately get audio working but I was using CH2 and I read here on another thread that the streaming would only work with CH1.

I have had tons of problems with the streaming feature already before using YouTube. One was that at one point I couldn't get it working with some of my B4 lenses, which sounds bizarre. We tried to debug it with the support there was no resolution. Recently I noticed that streaming just doesn't work at all with certain resolutions and codes. I didn't test them all but I suspect only 16:9 resolutions work and I none of the H.26x variants worked neither. In all of these cases the Stream button just remains greyed out.

Return to Cinematography