Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Mike Conway

ANGRY SHADE ghost short BMPCC4K

PostWed Sep 14, 2022 9:00 am

I know, I know! A lot of horror films shot in the woods around Las Vegas. :lol: Before embarking on a feature, with my buddy, Robert, we shot this little practice short. The cast was done in a single night. Went out another night for some Go Pro and Mavic shots.

I'm not very happy with some of the FX, so it was a good thing this was practice.

Mike Conway

EVIL DWELLS WITHIN feature BMPCC4K

PostWed Sep 14, 2022 9:28 am

Okay, now to the feature stuff!

The previous short, ANGRY SHADE, was practice for this movie, EVIL DWELLS WITHIN. Still in post. It would have been already finished, if I wasn't given a small budget for a bigfoot movie. Basically, another movie interrupted this one!

Most of this was shot with DZO Cinema Zoom lenses. One short, one long. Rokinon primes were also used. I snuck in the Panasonic Lumix 12-35mm lens for crane shots, because it was light and could remote focus with my Black Magic phone app. While it sounds like we had a budget, most everything was deferred, except for the makeup artist.

Robert had the DZOs, and my assistant cameraman, Matt, had the Rokinons. Robert found the Jib Arm, on Craigs' List for $70. The lady didn't know what it was!

Last edited by Mike Conway on Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mike Conway

DRONE DOWN bigfoot feature BMPCC6K Pro

PostWed Sep 14, 2022 9:51 am

Okay, last post of the evening. I was one of 7 local filmmakers, plus 3 alternates, chosen for the Lucky 777's Film Challenge. The challenge was to shoot a feature in 7 days for $7,000. Out of the 7, plus 3 alternates, 3 movies were completed. Truly a daunting task. News story, here:

This movie was 80% daylight, so I wanted the viewfinder on the 6K Pro, that I could see in bright situations. In all honesty, my 4K fell on the floor and required a $900 (with shipping) circuit board replacement. I might as well get a new camera! Unbeknownst to my wife, I snuck into my stash cash and got the 6K Pro.

This camera has an EF mount, so the 4/3rds DZOs were out of the picture. I bought a used Canon 18-55mm 4.6 for $100. At the theater, I told Robert that I shot this with a 100 dollar lens. He was beside himself. :lol:

It was myself and Matt on camera and mic. Robert got Covid so we were down to a two man camera/sound crew. This had to be shot in just over a week, so we were small, but quick. Lots of challenges, especially bigfoot's face, but we trudged on.

Here's the trailer:

Dom Dycaico

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

PostSun Sep 18, 2022 5:58 am

Recent work with the BMD Ursa Mini 12K as A camera, and Pocket 4K (or 6K forgot, hahaha) for the B-Cam

Mike Conway

PostSun Sep 18, 2022 8:37 am

Dom Dycaico wrote:Recent work with the BMD Ursa Mini 12K as A camera, and Pocket 4K (or 6K forgot, hahaha) for the B-Cam

Wow! Sharp and bright. Love how the logo starts behind him and wraps to the front of him.

kontrakatze

PostSat Sep 24, 2022 9:16 pm

This music video I recently shot is for a band called Boba Cat. It is more the fun kind of project. After a long night and a decent breakfast (hence sunday sesh) we shot this in the living room:

Oh Joe final 1.jpg
Oh Joe final 1.jpg (82.51 KiB) Viewed 17919 times

Oh Joe final 5.jpg
Oh Joe final 5.jpg (56.05 KiB) Viewed 17919 times

Oh Joe final 6.jpg
Oh Joe final 6.jpg (139.21 KiB) Viewed 17919 times

I hope you like it,
Stephan
Stephan Schoenharting
Berlin, Germany
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9HVF-6TcKDkavfcqu0lFMQ/videos

rick.lang

PostSat Sep 24, 2022 9:24 pm

Very entertaining. I thought at one point angels we’re going to descend and take him away!
Rick Lang

kontrakatze

PostSat Sep 24, 2022 9:33 pm

:D :D
Good idea for the next one

Greetings,
Stephan
Stephan Schoenharting
Berlin, Germany

Henchman

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 5:58 am

Finished my solo Guerilla Shoot of "The Visit"
Shot, directed, edited, colored, composed and mixed by me.

Shot on the BMPCC 4k, using a 28mm Voigtlander, Kowa 16h Anamorphic scope.
I shot it using the Melara Alexa to 4k LUT, and in resolve I started we ith Filmbox, selecting the Alexa profile.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0972296/

Ellory Yu

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 7:12 am

Henchman wrote:Finished my solo Guerilla Shoot of "The Visit"
Shot, directed, edited, colored, composed and mixed by me.

Shot on the BMPCC 4k, using a 28mm Voigtlander, Kowa 16h Anamorphic scope.
I shot it using the Melara Alexa to 4k LUT, and in resolve I started we ith Filmbox, selecting the Alexa profile.

Did you intentionally broke the 180 rule between ~14:19 and ~14:24 then back at 14:25? ;)
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Henchman

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 12:13 am

Ellory Yu wrote:Did you intentionally broke the 180 rule between ~14:19 and ~14:24 then back at 14:25? ;)

No. It simply looked better from that angle.
And rules are made to be broken.

Ellory Yu

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 1:40 am

Henchman wrote:
Ellory Yu wrote:Did you intentionally broke the 180 rule between ~14:19 and ~14:24 then back at 14:25? ;)

No. It simply looked better from that angle.
And rules are made to be broken.

True, if you know what you’re doing and I suppose you did since it was intentional. It threw me off just a bit but after watching it the second time it was not as noticeable anymore.
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Jeffrey D Mathias

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 11:58 am

Ellory,
Agreed, seems like this shows why rules become rules.
AMD Threadripper 1950x 16-core 3.4 GHz
96 GB Crucial DDR4 2666 ECC UDIMM RAM
AsRock Fatal1ty x399 motherboard
AMD Radeon Pro WX 8200 GPU
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 22H2, build 19045.3208
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
iPad Pro M2

Ellory Yu

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 3:36 pm

Jeffrey D Mathias wrote:Ellory,
Agreed, seems like this shows why rules become rules.

Cinematography 101. :lol:

Henchman

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 3:38 pm

Nobody else, from numerous other places I have posted it, has said anything about it.

Ellory Yu

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 4:25 pm

Henchman wrote:Nobody else, from numerous other places I have posted it, has said anything about it.

Mark, no worries. As someone who directs and also provides cinematography training to incomers, these are things I educate them with. Being that this is a Cinematography forum, it's good thing to point out things that may help others not only with the hardware aspect but as to rules and techniques as well, IMHO. There are well known directors and DPs, Tarantino himself, who does violate the rules but as long as that is part of their visual esthetics and intention, most people at least (beside the hard cores will be okay without critique). Also, most important is that it's not visually confusing or jarring for the audience.

I brought it up here because I caught it and just want to share from an educational standpoint. I'm not saying what you did is wrong (if it was intentional). If it was not intentional, then should be pointed out so to help folks who doesn't even know about cinematography and the rules and techniques around it.

Daniel Alexander

PostWed Oct 26, 2022 3:36 pm

Hey guys,

With an Ursa Mini G2 at hand, I always Wondered what the Wizard of Oz would look like as a modern day horror film, so I got some friends together and decided to go out and make one. Here’s the trailer, I’d really appreciate it if you could give it a watch

GALE - STAY AWAY FROM OZ

Long gone are the days of emerald cities and yellow brick roads. In this dark re-imagining of the Wizard of Oz, Dorothy Gale is now an elderly woman, broken by years of paranormal entanglement with a mystical realm, which has now echoed down to her only living relative, Emily, who is being called to settle unfinished business in this terrifying world of Oz.

DHLawson

PostFri Oct 28, 2022 4:07 pm

Great work Daniel;
I'm normally sanguine about horror, (having majored in Psychology, nothing is scarier than reality) but this scared the bejesus outta me.
Excellent cinematography, and convincing acting, make this a shoo-in for development into a feature film.
Congratulations, maestro.

Daniel Alexander

PostFri Oct 28, 2022 9:42 pm

DHLawson wrote:Great work Daniel;
I'm normally sanguine about horror, (having majored in Psychology, nothing is scarier than reality) but this scared the bejesus outta me.
Excellent cinematography, and convincing acting, make this a shoo-in for development into a feature film.
Congratulations, maestro.

Thank you that’s really encouraging and hopefully it can be seen by someone who could maybe help get things moving :)

Florent Piovesan

PostTue Nov 08, 2022 1:56 pm

Hey everyone,

Here is a selection of shots taken during an autumn hike in the French Alps.

I used the Sigma 18-35 with the Nisi Swift System (VND + Extra 4 Stops ND) on the BMPCC6K Pro.

I spent the whole day testing out the new Nisi System and I had so much footage that I like so I thought I would make a short video :).

Filmed handheld in 6K BRAW.

Let me know if you have any questions :).

Cheers,
Flo
https://www.oftwolands.com

kontrakatze

PostSun Nov 13, 2022 9:12 pm

He everyone,
for the ones who are interested, I posted a brief video about GND-filters for video as I got some nice results with them:

I very often had the problem with either the sky to bright, or the ground to dark. Mask do help, but very often they have their limitations.

It's not a magic weapon, but more or less a nice addition.

keep shooting,
Stephan
Stephan Schoenharting
Berlin, Germany

rick.lang

PostSun Nov 13, 2022 10:41 pm

Nice examples, Stephan. I’ve never used graduated ND filters, but you illustrate how much they can help outdoors.
Rick Lang

kontrakatze

PostMon Nov 14, 2022 7:17 am

I shoot outdoos a lot and always had the problem with inconsitencies in brightness (sky vs. ground). If your camera has enough latitude, masks may work to dial it back a little. But there was often too much of a difference for me to dial it back (blown out sky).

There are certainly limitations like trees in the foreground or shooting a skyline, so I wouldn't by a complete set. But it can help a lot and sometimes add some character to the scene.
Stephan Schoenharting
Berlin, Germany

Michel_Jacky

PostTue Nov 15, 2022 9:27 am

Medieval-fantasy long film, produced by our association "Trustwonder Production" and which required several years of hard but passionate work.

The latest teaser for the film, introduced by the antagonist:

English subtitles available.

The film was mainly shot with the Blackmagic Cinema Camera, aerial views with the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera and slomo scenes with Red Epic M.
Graded in Resolve.
Director at Trustwonder_Production. Email: realisateur@trustwonder.com

KonradRussegger

PostFri Nov 18, 2022 5:25 am

Die Bürde 2022

Finally able to release this shortfilm
about St. Nicholas and the Krampus.
Took us almost 2 years to finish it and we waited for the Krampus season to release it on YouTube.
Shot during Covid 19 and then it took a while to find someone to do the music.
Shot mainly on Nikon Z6 and some parts on Sony FX3.
We used an Inspire 2 for the drone shots.
Complete postproduction was done in Resolve 17

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

Overlander

PostFri Nov 25, 2022 1:02 am

Hi folks;
Lots of you have given me great ideas, so some are illustrated in this film. To say it took time and changes is an understatement. Because of Covid restrictions for cast and crew and then wildfires and smoke and shutdowns for those reasons we had to re-envision the film three times, and do most of the sound track remotely. All said we are please with it. 90% shot on Ursa G2 with Nikon glass, except for stills and archival footage. Have a look:
Long Road to Cariboo - .

Overlander

PostFri Nov 25, 2022 1:03 am

Not sure why it will not post here but swing over to Vimeo. Cheers Richard

Merticgoren

PostTue Jan 03, 2023 9:41 am

Shot on BMPCC OG ! I'm still in love with this camera

rick.lang

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 1:18 pm

With the Folk’n Fiddle 2023 festival approaching, I did some promotional videos from my Folk’n Fiddle 2022 footage which will be added to the festival webpage. Since these are now publicly accessible I can share them here. These clips are all shot on the URSA Mini 4.6K camera with the Fujinon 20x7.8BRM zoom, recording CinemaDNG, 2K 16:9, edited in DaVinci Resolve 18 and delivered in HD widescreen as Rec.709 (and sRGB).

Promo A for HDTV

Promo B for HDTV
Last edited by rick.lang on Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rick Lang

Marshall Harrington

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 3:41 pm

rick.lang wrote:With the Folk’n Fiddle 2023 festival approaching, I did some promotional videos from Folk’n Fiddle 2022 which will be added to the festival webpage. Since these are now publicly accessible I can share them here. These clips are all shot on the URSA Mini 4.6K camera with the Fujinon 20x7.8BRM zoom, recording CinemaDNG, 2K 16:9, edited in DaVinci Resolve 18 and delivered in HD widescreen as Rec.709 (and sRGB).

Promo A for HDTV

Promo B for HDTV
Nice job Rick. Wish I was there for this.

rick.lang

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 5:05 pm

Thanks, Marshall. It’s a great experience.

The next festival is mid-June. I don’t know the scope, but rest assured I was told it will be bigger and better than 2022. Each festival results in about 8 hours of footage with one camera. I may try to use the BMPCC4K with Tokina 11-20mm as well as I have had good results on a recent theatrical shoot with the Tokina getting the wide view and the Fujinon getting the medium to close shots. My that’s potentially lots of storage over three days if I end up with say 24 hours of raw 2K and ProRes 2.6K footage. Thank goodness for 1 TB media cards.
Rick Lang

Ellory Yu

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 12:24 am

Rick, impressive especially with concert lighting environment. The details is pretty good. Thanks for sharing.

rick.lang

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 4:53 am

Ellory Yu wrote:Rick, impressive especially with concert lighting ...

Thanks, Ellory. The lighting director seems to take a perverse delight in challenging me to save something suitable for video presentation from the creative tendency to wash the music sets in uneven and changing illumination and overuse of multi-hued intense LEDs. For example, the first clip in Promo A with the yodeling was taken from the last set of performances to which I had to apply +4000 degrees Kelvin of colour correction in Resolve to get reasonable skin colour among other adjustments.
Rick Lang

Ellory Yu

Re: Official

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 6:05 am

rick.lang wrote: For example, the first clip in Promo A with the yodeling was taken from the last set of performances to which I had to apply +4000 degrees Kelvin of colour correction in Resolve to get reasonable skin colour among other adjustments.

It take one who knows how to do and make it right. :)

On another point, you mentioned CinemaDNG was the codec you used. I like BRAW, don’t get me wrong but I wished CinemaDNG is still offered on the UMP G2 and newer cams, even as an option to buy firmware that pays for the licensing, if that was the issue BMD gave up on it.

rick.lang

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 3:12 pm

The Colour Science Gen 3 in the UM4.6K is given a quality boost in Resolve where all the footage is using the Camera raw tab in Resolve to deliver Colour Science Gen 4. A good solution until Blackmagic offers Gen 5 in post.

For my recording sessions of the Folk’n Fiddle 2022 (where each session is a maximum of about 210 minutes of video footage per camera), I use lossless 2K 16:9 CinemaDNG on the UM4.6K camera with a terabyte card. Last year’s festival only had 11 performances spread out over 3 sessions. 9 used CDNG and 2 used ProRes.

The previous festival was different with evening performances and one Saturday with a single 12 hour shoot so I did need to use compressed CDNG for that one otherwise I’d run out of media cards.

No idea yet what I’ll be faced with this year!
Rick Lang

Hamid Rahbaoui

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 11:49 am

Hi,
I have been a long-time reader of the forum and a user of Blackmagic cameras with one or two posts. I am trying to post a link to the trailer of my feature film "A song for Juliette", shot entirely with Blackmagic cameras and edited on Davinci Resolve. Apparently, I am not allowed to post links. Is there a way to get around this?

rick.lang

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 3:27 pm

Normally just a few posts for a few days and it will demonstrate you’re not a troll or have other nefarious intentions for the forum. Perhaps it’s odd you have relevant material to show us but it does stop those you just pop in to bomb the site.
Rick Lang

comrade_fiction

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 8:12 am

Hey, guys!

Shot a short film on BMPCC 6K, lenses - Sigma 18-30, Helios 58-2. Editing, color correction - also on me.

timbutt2

PostThu Mar 30, 2023 9:49 pm

Hey all, here's the latest Video Production Reel I put together showcasing highlight work from mid 2019 through the first quarter of 2023.

Primarily the URSA Mini Pro G2, but with some Pocket 6K and Pocket 6K Pro sprinkled in. Also primarily the DZOFilm lenses, both Vespid Primes and Pictor Zooms, but some shots from projects that used the Rokinon Cinema Lenses and the Sigma Art Zooms. Lighting was generally the Nanlite lights.

I can't wait to share the latest music video, which has two shots featured in this reel, that will be premiering next month. It's a country music video and the footage I shot looks amazing. Shots in this reel include musician singing in the truck and a sunset kiss. So much amazing footage when that music video drops. Can't wait to share it.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

rick.lang

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 3:11 pm

Nice sample of your work, Tim. The excerpts from the music video look very promising.
Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostSat Apr 01, 2023 10:17 pm

rick.lang wrote:Nice sample of your work, Tim. The excerpts from the music video look very promising.

Thank you, Rick! Yeah, I can't wait to share the music video. Sadly I'm not color grading it so I have to see how the musician's colorist does with the footage. What I included in my reel was my own color grade. And, from the footage I've graded I'm very happy with the music video overall. Just have to wait to see how the musician edited it and how his colorist graded it. One of those things I hate not having control over.

rick.lang

PostSat Apr 01, 2023 11:08 pm

timbutt2 wrote:... Just have to wait to see how the musician edited it and how his colorist graded it...

I’m sure it will be fine and we want to see what they do with your footage. I have been very fortunate that my clients leave the editing and colouring to me. On the downside when it’s important I am always tinkering with it through a few iterations over time until I release it to them. I retain creative control. I am glad I was able to show a bit of my work in those recent concert promos for public consumption.
Rick Lang

Ellory Yu

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 12:39 am

comrade_fiction wrote:Hey, guys!

Shot a short film on BMPCC 6K, lenses - Sigma 18-30, Helios 58-2. Editing, color correction - also on me.

Very nice. Lots of symmetry in the composition. Colors looks vibrant. The girls hair softness and color complements the scenes. I like it. Well done.

Ellory Yu

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 12:43 am

timbutt2 wrote:Hey all, here's the latest Video Production Reel I put together showcasing highlight work from mid 2019 through the first quarter of 2023.

Nice reel Tim. Where’s the one of the model in chains? That was a good one!

AaronDunleavy

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 11:23 am

Hello, first time poster here but long time user of my URSA Mini 4.6k since 2016.

Here's a recent feature doc I self-shot with no other crew - just running and gunning handheld.

Hamid Rahbaoui

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 6:03 pm

rick.lang wrote:Normally just a few posts for a few days and it will demonstrate you’re not a troll or have other nefarious intentions for the forum. Perhaps it’s odd you have relevant material to show us but it does stop those you just pop in to bomb the site.

Thank you Rick, I appreciate the response..
It seems that the limitation has been lifted. Anyway, here is the extended version of the trailer :

"A song for Juliette" was shot with Blackmagic Production Camera 4K and Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K. Edited and color graded in Davinci Resolve.

rick.lang

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 1:55 am

So beautiful, Hamid!
Rick Lang

Hamid Rahbaoui

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 12:13 pm

rick.lang wrote:So beautiful, Hamid!

Thank you Rick!

Bunk Timmer

PostWed Apr 05, 2023 7:45 pm

AaronDunleavy wrote:Hello, first time poster here but long time user of my URSA Mini 4.6k since 2016. Here's a recent feature doc I self-shot with no other crew - just running and gunning handheld.
Loved it! Thanks for sharing.

timbutt2

PostTue May 02, 2023 5:02 am

Latest Music Video. Primarily shot on the UMPG2 as A-Cam with the DZOFilm Vespid Primes in PL, and some B-Cam P6KPro PL Modified with the DZOFilm Vespid Primes on the first day. But since it is still freezing up and still needs repairs we switched to the C300ii on the second day for B-Cam. There's a few shots from the DJI Drone, and the Canon C300ii was using DZOFilm Pictor 20-55 for all its shots since it was EF only.

Lighting was all Nanlite. We had the Forza 720B, 300B, 300D, 150B, 60B, and MixPanel 150 and 60 lights. Car mount was the Matthews Hostess Tray set up. As well we used the Syrup Magic Carpet for Slider shots.

If you have any other tech questions I'll be happy to answer them. Enjoy!

PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography