Choice of Vmount battery for URSA ?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Videobegin

Choice of Vmount battery for URSA ?

PostSun May 28, 2023 7:11 pm

Hello,

it's time for me to rig my ursa 8-)
Starting with 190Wh batteries, I found two budget friendly brands, baxxtor and neewer. Each have good comments and claim to be compatible with ursa.

Any feedbacks from users ?

Overlander

Re: Choice of Vmount battery for URSA ?

PostSun May 28, 2023 7:13 pm

I use SHAPE. I have two 135s and two 90s. They last well and I have had no problem when I keep them refreshed.

Mike Ambrose

PostMon May 29, 2023 1:19 am

I have a 190Wh Powerextra and it's been great. I've had it 14 months and use it 6-8 hours a week and it seems as good as the day I got it.

Videobegin

PostMon May 29, 2023 4:17 am

190Wh Powerextra is currently unavailable. :(
Last edited by Videobegin on Mon May 29, 2023 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carlomacchiavello

PostMon May 29, 2023 5:28 am

I use actually On Air GMount battery (they produce also vmount version), from 2015 and then loose only 5% of their capacity.
More expansive of others but good for me.

I have many baxxtar and patona nfp970 clones, and after many years (2010) some patona (2 on 23 battery) died after many uses like I aspected from most of battery, others (4 on 23) loose their power capacity.

Baxxtar I had from four years and work fine at today.

I take care if my battery, I keep not full charge in dry space, every six month I do to all a full charge and discharges, I numbered all batteries to use sequentially at same time.
This is my experience.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

timbutt2

PostMon May 29, 2023 10:21 pm

I'm a big fan of CoreSWX. I've had great success with their batteries over the years.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

John Brawley

PostTue May 30, 2023 1:52 am

Very tricky to fly with batteries larger than 100w for starters. You may want to consider that if you need to fly with your kit. It’s relaxing a little, but it’s still a good idea to stick with less than 100wh batteries if you plan to travel with your kit.

I like the BeBob minis. They are small, and have great extra features (like a built in light)

But they are more expensive.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

timbutt2

PostTue May 30, 2023 2:28 am

John Brawley wrote:Very tricky to fly with batteries larger than 100w for starters.

There is a method for handling flying with 150Wh Batteries that I have successfully used in the past. It is more difficult for sure, but if you do follow certain procedures the TSA will allow it.

One) Tape the battery connectors so they are covered fully. Brightly colored paper tape works perfectly.
Two) Make sure they are in Sleep Mode.
Three) Put each battery in its own ziplock bag.

When going through security take the batteries out and put them in a their own tray. Make sure the TSA sees they are properly stored in the ziplocks and that you know what you're doing. The camera should go in its own tray.

Certainly it is easiest to fly with 98Wh Batteries. But you can get away with 150Wh in a pinch if you handle it correctly.

John Brawley

PostTue May 30, 2023 2:38 am

Not really in my experience Tim.

Your experience is in the USA for starters.

It’s up to the discretion of the individual airline in the US, not TSA.

I’ve been on a small regional plane and the captain summoned me and asked to inspect my batteries because he saw they were listed. He said he doesn’t allow more than 100 on his flights and it was up to the captain!

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-scr ... D8%20grams).

Most airlines will allow only two batteries more than 98w, but it’s again at the discretion of the airline and it is flight to flight.

Yes you should cover the contacts on all batteries.

Yes they should not be stored together.

Safer to bet on 100wh. You may get away with up to two, but what happens if you don’t?

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Ellory Yu

PostTue May 30, 2023 6:39 am

From experience, I agree with JB. When I travel, I take with me the 98s only. I have a 130 and 150 but I just use them on local sets or if I’m driving to the location (no more than 3 hours distances). I use the Switronics and the IndiPro v mounts and they’ve been holding well so far for many years now.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Videobegin

PostTue May 30, 2023 6:20 pm

Thanks for the reminder. Limitation may also explain the poor offer.

For documentary, with a video assist and 12K connected to a 90Wh battery, how long can I work (approximation) ?

Johannes Jonsson

PostTue May 30, 2023 6:34 pm

I am mainly using SWIT S-8172S 158Wh, it is a Split-Style battery with 79Wh each part so good to go on airplane when taken apart.
Last edited by Johannes Jonsson on Wed May 31, 2023 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Johannes

timbutt2

PostWed May 31, 2023 12:57 am

John Brawley wrote:Not really in my experience Tim.

Your experience is in the USA for starters.

It’s up to the discretion of the individual airline in the US, not TSA.

I’ve been on a small regional plane and the captain summoned me and asked to inspect my batteries because he saw they were listed. He said he doesn’t allow more than 100 on his flights and it was up to the captain!

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-scr ... D8%20grams).

Most airlines will allow only two batteries more than 98w, but it’s again at the discretion of the airline and it is flight to flight.

Yes you should cover the contacts on all batteries.

Yes they should not be stored together.

Safer to bet on 100wh. You may get away with up to two, but what happens if you don’t?

JB

I'll agree that it is airline dependent. However, I have gotten away with inside the continental USA the 150Wh battery being brought on as a carry on. But yes, it's best to fly with 98Wh batteries.

Otherwise, I do drive my gear often across the county. When transporting all the lights and other gear it's definitely best to simply drive it. So with batteries there it's okay to not worry about the limited Wh carryon capacities of airlines.

Generally with four 98Wh Batteries you'll get 10-hours of battery life powering the UMP with an URSA Viewfinder. I've been able to squeeze 11-hours of constant running on all four batteries. But once you add extra accessories being powered you start to lose battery life sooner.

Personally I own 4 150Wh & 2 98Wh CoreSWX HyperCore Batteries.

Ellory Yu

PostWed May 31, 2023 12:58 am

Videobegin wrote:Hello,

it's time for me to rig my ursa 8-)
Starting with 190Wh batteries, I found two budget friendly brands, baxxtor and neewer. Each have good comments and claim …

Personally, I don’t know about these brands and the qualities of their product because they are so cheap and to good to be true. I once bought a 150w v-mount battery that was $135 usd and I had trouble with it since day 1. Sometimes it won’t charge after being charged for more than a day, and sometimes it will be charged in a few hours but when I use it, it will be depleted in 30-40 minutes. It also died right on the week after its supposed to be warranty ended. The company did replace it once the first time I had it and it was not charging. And then that was it… downhill from there on. So I am a bit cautious of these off brand batteries not just because they cannot be dependent on but it affects your schedule if one goes bad while you are shooting.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Return to Cinematography