Sandisk SSDs failing

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

soohyun

Sandisk SSDs failing

PostThu Jun 08, 2023 8:23 am

I dunno if discussion about this has already been had, but this happened a few weeks ago:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/05/sandisk-extreme-ssds-keep-abruptly-failing-firmware-fix-for-only-some-promised/

TL;DR: Sandisk Extreme Pro SSDs (both 2TB and 4TB) were consistently failing and wiping data since a while back. The article actually cites reddit posts from DITs/editors who have had their entire footage wiped while transferring.

I purchased one of these recently, as these drives were held in good reputation (they're on the BMD supported media lists), but then discovered this article, which frightened and ushered me to buy a T7 Shield at my local store.

Anybody have any stories to share?
Soohyun Kim

Micro Cinema Camera

Michel Rabe

Re: Sandisk SSDs failing

PostThu Jun 08, 2023 9:36 am

No but I think you did the right thing.

Jamie LeJeune

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 12:26 am

I've used dozens of these drives recently in post production (not connected to a camera), mostly client drives sent to me with source media for color grading, and have only seen problems when clients had left them with the default shipping format of ExFAT and then connecting them to macOS computers, which is an inherent risk with ExFAT rather than anything specific to Sandisk. In my use of them, these Sandisk SSDs that have been correctly reformatted as APFS (or HFS+) before use on Mac have not had any problems. That's not to say that the problem doesn't exist, just to say that as with all such problems posted online, we hear a lot about the failures and virtually nothing from those whose hardware is working fine. Based on what I've seen, the issue is limited to some units in specific use cases, and at least some portion of the reported problems are due to how ExFAT reacts to random disconnections rather than the drive hardware/firmware itself. All that said, it is better to be safe than sorry. I won't be purchasing any of these Sandisk SSDs until there is confirmation that the issue has been addressed by Sandisk. Whatever drive you use, make sure to reformat it appropriately for the operating system on which you'll be working. Regarding the use of these drives on BMD cameras, I'd recommend sticking to CFast 2.0 media and avoiding external USB-C connected disks in general.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

soohyun

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 2:53 am

Unfortunate that these SSDs are such a boon to amateur filmmakers like me, but there's a tradeoff for that low cost, I guess.

Heck, I don't even record directly to it; my Micro records to an SD card, and I just needed modular storage space for my footage.
Soohyun Kim

Micro Cinema Camera

Uli Plank

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 4:00 am

There is a basic rule to backing up your original footage, whatever the storage may be:
Use two physically separated devices!

(Many production insurances even ask for three.)
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

rick.lang

Sandisk SSDs failing

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 3:28 pm

Jamie LeJeune wrote:I've… only seen problems when clients had left them with the default shipping format of ExFAT and then connecting them to macOS computers, which is an inherent risk with ExFAT... at least some portion of the reported problems are due to how ExFAT reacts to random disconnections rather than the drive hardware/firmware itself...

I am using exFAT without issues on the Wise cards/SSD and Samsung T7 Shield. I’m always patient about removing devices from the camera or card readers etc. Wait several seconds after any use and Eject first from the computer.
Last edited by rick.lang on Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

robert Hart

PostSun Jun 11, 2023 8:13 am

I may be a luddite but I never remove media from the camera whilst it remains powered up. Yes, it does consume valuable time.

Maybe I am OCD or just plain old-school from the times when one always unplugged electrical appliances as well as switching them off at the wall.

I also do not leave batteries connected to the cameras when they are not in actual use. Time connected equals total lifetime in use, not the actual powered on time of the camera.

The manual toggle switch on the Ursa Mini Pro family is a tactile reassurance but does not physically disconnect power. So some things are wearing out even if one thinks they are not whilst a battery remains connected.

However, touch wood, I have not had a recording media failure with the CF2 cards or SSDs. Having said that and being too cocksure of myself, the chances of a media failure have increased exponentially just to give me a double-slap over the ears as a lesson.

Return to Cinematography