CFast Cards vs Slot 1

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

bekevans

CFast Cards vs Slot 1

PostTue Jan 17, 2023 3:16 am

Hello gang,

We've recently purchased 4 x Ursa Broadcast G2's and after loading our Angelbird CFast 2.0 512GB (560mb/s) into slot 1 and 2, and formatting to ExFat - we realised that our clips would not playback in slot 1. We tried reformatting, we tried changing our codec etc, we tried a factory reset. Our slot was set to CFast selection but we still were unable. Sometimes the clip would play back janky, and sometimes it would just be a black screen. HOWEVER, when we took that same card we recorded on, and switched it into slot 2, those previously recorded clips would playback fine. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue or similar and have a solution or if we should be sending these back?

Thanks!

Beybiznus

Re: CFast Cards vs Slot 1

PostSun Feb 05, 2023 4:46 pm

Im having this same exact issue with my ursa broadcast g2. Slot one does not work and take a really long time to format. And once it’s done formatting the card shows it’s full. It’s only slot one that does this. We’re able to find a solution?

AndrewJVid

PostSat Feb 18, 2023 4:53 pm

I have 3 Ursa broadcast G2s and have the same cards and same problems with Slot A not working. Best it did was 1min 42 seconds and stop record. Slot B has been fine with 3 min test records. I tried it on three different brand new cards and on all three G2 cams. I was on firmware 7.5 and updated one camera to 7.9.2 and still had the same dynamic.

I was filming 6k, 12:1 compression, constant bitrate and 50fps/24fps offspeed on.

Idk about slot A but wondering if the offspeed or shooting at 50fps instead of 24fps could be causing issues? I don’t get how though. The card is officially supported and has similar read and write speeds as all the other card brands on the officially supported list.

I did make sure the AngelBird firmware is up to date using the AngelBird official card reader. Which I guess makes a difference.

Formatting takes forever in slot A too. A few times it formats and shows up as “format” still. When records fail it always does the red ! Dot too.

So im stumped and in the same boat. I’ve been recording using the external USB-C with a Samsung SSD 1TB T5 bjt that works and fails erratically and interacts differently on all three G2s even with identical settings, firmware, cards etc. all variables being constant. So im stumped there too.

Mike Potton

PostMon Feb 20, 2023 6:14 pm

I have the same issue with slot 1 on my Ursa mini pro G2 (not the broadcast). Only with one of my six CFast cards. The card in question works fine with my C300mkii and my URSA mini Pro G1.

I should also mention my Anglebird’s work fine. It’s a lexar that doesn’t.

Kimberley West

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 5:49 am

Just got the Broadcast G2 today and I’m having the exact same problem with the same media in slot 1. I was trying to record ProRes UHD 25fps and there were dropped frames in slot 1, fine in slot 2. Playback was also fine in slot 2 but not in slot 1. VERY Janky.

Are there any updates on this? Seems like an ongoing issue.

rick.lang

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 9:57 pm

None of these messages about this disturbing issue mention that you have contacted BMD Support for your region. If your brand new camera is misbehaving, you likely can return it to your vendor for a replacement.
Rick Lang

Kimberley West

PostThu Jul 06, 2023 12:57 am

Have been in contact with BMD and they want to test everything so they asked for the cards, the camera or both to test but, apart from the Slot 1 issue, the camera seems to be perfectly fine and is needed for upcoming shoots. So I've sent the CFast cards.
They also asked if I could test the camera with a different CFast card - unfortunately, we probably have the only 2 cards in this town.

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 02, 2023 3:08 am

Regarding this issue we have had to remove the 512GB and 1TB AngelBird cards from our certified lists for the URSA Mini Pro 12K and URSA Broadcast G2 viewtopic.php?f=2&t=191353

rick.lang

PostThu Nov 02, 2023 3:30 am

Sounds like another update to the card’s data controller to make an improvement but inadvertently impacts the performance.
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography