Camera Shipping Update: 1/14

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

c.carlos.n

Re: Camera Shipping Update: 1/14

PostFri Jan 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Christine? 4 to 10 cameras a week?

thanks in advance
Carlos E Núñez

Jason Greene

PostFri Jan 18, 2013 3:38 pm

c.carlos.n wrote:Christine? 4 to 10 cameras a week?

thanks in advance

I think you are really expecting too much to have BMD respond to either confirm or refute a number like this.

Look at the source of this number. It is from a supplier that isn't even identified. The numbers attributed to B&H (likely one of BMD's largest dealers) are all over the map. Why should we attribute any more credibility to the "4 to 10 per week" number than any of the other numbers floating around?

Plus, it has been repeated time and again and has been shown to be true time and again that BMD will not give out numbers.

In this and other forums, you can see who is getting their cameras and when they ordered. Since you know when you ordered, this is probably the best way currently to forecast when you are likely to receive yours or to estimate whether you think that they are shipping in sufficient quantity for your situation. In the end, any amount of information from Christine or anyone else will not get you your camera sooner.

bhook

PostFri Jan 18, 2013 4:11 pm

Jason Greene wrote:In the end, any amount of information from Christine or anyone else will not get you your camera sooner.

I'm not sure that is the objective of the "how many" question for most folks. What we were/are trying to determine is a realistic expectation of delivery. I don't think that is too much to ask of BMD.

Jason Greene

PostFri Jan 18, 2013 4:36 pm

mhood wrote:I'm not sure that is the objective of the "how many" question for most folks. What we were/are trying to determine is a realistic expectation of delivery. I don't think that is too much to ask of BMD.

I get it. And, I'm not saying that it isn't a reasonable request or too much to ask. It is just that I haven't seen any indication that an answer is likely from BMD.

I've been on this forum since October and I've seen this information requested consistently since then. In that time, I've also seen numerous (okay, maybe several) official updates from BMD. Has the information that they've shown their willing to give out helped people get a better idea of when to expect delivery? Any more so than simply reading about who is getting their cameras? I think not.

BMD hasn't answered this question before. I see no indication that they will answer it in the future (never mind wondering if they actually have any idea themselves). This isn't a slam on BMD. It is simply my observation about their behavior.

Those who can't live with that kind of uncertainty should move on.

It reminds me of the Einstein quote (relevant at my former workplace): The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results.

Christine Peterson

PostFri Jan 18, 2013 4:39 pm

mhartle wrote:I did also learn that Blackmagic has been delivering between 4 and 10 cameras per week for the past 4x weeks. Up until December 7, only 14 cameras had been shipped in total to dealers in the USA.

It's generally against Blackmagic Design policy to discuss specific numbers around manufacturing or shipping. This information is inaccurate, or at least very outdated. As Grant mentioned in his update, we've been able to ship at a faster rate each week.
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

bhook

PostFri Jan 18, 2013 5:08 pm

Jason Greene wrote:Those who can't live with that kind of uncertainty should move on.

You're very persuasive. Especially when I consider that EF BMCs will likely be widely available slightly used when MFT BMCs are shipping and that is likely after NAB 2013. Maybe pulling away from this game is a very good idea.

mhartle

PostFri Jan 18, 2013 7:08 pm

Thx for the reply Christine. There's more theories about this than JFK and the magic bullet! I think the retailers struggle to present new and encouraging information while relieving the pressure on themselves. They are in a tough spot with so many people having put so much money out in advance. I haven't personally been involved in a situation like this before. It requires a lot of faith!!

Anyway, thx for the info. Always appreciated.

-m

Brian T

PostFri Jan 18, 2013 8:30 pm

I just received mine from Full Compass [late April order] I haven't opened the box yet because I fear I wouldn't be productive the rest of the day-- but tonight will be fun ;)

Jason Greene

PostFri Jan 18, 2013 8:43 pm

mhartle wrote:Thx for the reply Christine. There's more theories about this than JFK and the magic bullet! I think the retailers struggle to present new and encouraging information while relieving the pressure on themselves. They are in a tough spot with so many people having put so much money out in advance. I haven't personally been involved in a situation like this before. It requires a lot of faith!!

Anyway, thx for the info. Always appreciated.

-m

You're right. A lot of theories. And, in the end, they're just theories. What counts is real evidence.

There is a shipping notice thread on another forum where people post that they've received their shipping notice or their cam. Plus, people have posted in this forum that they've received their cameras. In looking at this evidence, I've counted about 50 total cameras received (or shipping notices received) since November 1, 2012. Of course, this isn't every camera that has shipped, since not everyone posts. So, take this evidence for whatever you think it is worth.

David Chapman

PostFri Jan 18, 2013 8:51 pm

I just got mine around 12pm CST today in Dallas. Another friend in Houston got his as well.

Wish I had more time to play, but I didn't see much of a jello image at all like someone said previously. I'm going to do a post on my blog later that answers a lot of the questions I still had after reading many other resources.
David Chapman
Just another creative dude with a camera.

c.carlos.n

PostFri Jan 18, 2013 9:09 pm

Christine, thanks, from the bottom of my weary heart, for bending the rule just a wee bit.
Carlos E Núñez

rick.lang

PostSat Jan 19, 2013 3:57 am

Jason Greene wrote:
mhartle wrote:A lot of theories. And, in the end, they're just theories. What counts is real evidence.

There is a shipping notice thread on another forum where people post that they've received their shipping notice or their cam. Plus, people have posted in this forum that they've received their cameras. In looking at this evidence, I've counted about 50 total cameras received (or shipping notices received) since November 1, 2012. Of course, this isn't every camera that has shipped, since not everyone posts. So, take this evidence for whatever you think it is worth.

Again it's just anecdotal evidence but I've never heard so many people saying they've received their camera as we have heard this week (and they're not all going to the USA)! I know there are some who ordered early who are still waiting but if this week is any indication, I think many will receive their camera in the next few weeks.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

JON s

PostSat Jan 19, 2013 4:48 pm

rick.lang wrote:
Jason Greene wrote:
mhartle wrote:A lot of theories. And, in the end, they're just theories. What counts is real evidence.

Again it's just anecdotal evidence but I've never heard so many people saying they've received their camera as we have heard this week (and they're not all going to the USA)! I know there are some who ordered early who are still waiting but if this week is any indication, I think many will receive their camera in the next few weeks.

Rick Lang

If that were true, wouldn't the wonderful people at BMDD being making tons of updates. Instead we simply get the vaguest of answers. I really want to believe, but these guys need to be a little more precise with their "announcements".

BetaEcho

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 5:08 am

Quote from an email I received TODAY from a dealer that I'd rather not reveal:

"I'm sorry but at this point almost no one has the Cinema Cameras. BMD has been releasing no more than 10 or 12 cameras to the entire US market for the last month. They expect to ramp up their production soon."

Sales pitch or fact you decide: "With the big box stores they have already taken thousands of orders and at 3 cameras a week you may end up waiting 5 or 6 months more before receiving your camera."

"BMD is just a bit unreliable this way."

"I did receive an email from the President of BMD and he told me that they think that right about now if all the new cameras pass QC in Australia then they will start a full production and then have a better idea of time frames by the end of this month... I suspect that the market wont be seeing too many cameras for at least another 6 weeks.. "

Take it for what it's worth. I personally would like an estimated time frame or a shot in the dark . It's clear that if there was good news it would be shouted from the roof tops by now. I'll give it until the end of February and I'm buying a Red Scarlet. I have clients expecting professional raw footage. If the answers were more forth coming I'd be satisfied. Hell NAB is coming back around again maybe I'll see what a proven camera company has to offer.

Please Respond.

PaulDelVecchio

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 5:55 am

BetaEcho wrote:Quote from an email I received TODAY from a dealer that I'd rather not reveal:

"I'm sorry but at this point almost no one has the Cinema Cameras. BMD has been releasing no more than 10 or 12 cameras to the entire US market for the last month. They expect to ramp up their production soon."

Sales pitch or fact you decide: "With the big box stores they have already taken thousands of orders and at 3 cameras a week you may end up waiting 5 or 6 months more before receiving your camera."

"I did receive an email from the President of BMD and he told me that they think that right about now if all the new cameras pass QC in Australia then they will start a full production and then have a better idea of time frames by the end of this month... I suspect that the market wont be seeing too many cameras for at least another 6 weeks.. "

Take it for what it's worth. I personally would like an estimated time frame or a shot in the dark . It's clear that if there was good news it would be shouted from the roof tops by now. I'll give it until the end of February and I'm buying a Red Scarlet. I have clients expecting professional raw footage. If the answers were more forth coming I'd be satisfied. Hell NAB is coming back around again maybe I'll see what a proven camera company has to offer.

Please Respond.

Well, that sounds like old news if it's even true. BMD is shipping cameras. My reseller just got 3 of them and they're popping up all over the place.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Art Roberts

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 5:59 am

Take this as a sales pitch on behalf of BMD. With the advertised specs of the BMCC, more so the video reviews raging over the internet, they are aware that a competition may be looming around the corner. Companies like Canon, Nikon and Panasonic who already have established themselves in the DSLR market, could easily take advantage of the delay time frame of the BMCC and flood the market with a competitively priced camera, with features that are equal or better than the BMCC. All companies that have a competitive product are very much aware of how the market operates. And when it comes to consumers there are no loyal followers. Red loyalist are bitting their nails and wishing the BMCC was a dream. So BMD knows that their 15 minutes of glory is up, and will do everything possible to own it. Think 5DM2 and its glorious days, down to 7D, GH2 and the Nikons. We can confidently say that with the advent of the BMCC, they are all things of the past - I want to be careful not to say obsolete. As the DSLR market evolves, it will be un-imaginable, to one day open the toolbox and pickup another camera, instead of the BMCC (Toy Story 1)

BetaEcho

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 6:12 am

PaulDelVecchio wrote:
BetaEcho wrote:Quote from an email I received TODAY from a dealer that I'd rather not reveal:

Please Respond.

Well, that sounds like old news if it's even true. BMD is shipping cameras. My reseller just got 3 of them and they're popping up all over the place.

I took it with a gain of salt. I'm just running out of patience however it does seem that the shipping has increase from a trickle.

Darryl Gregory

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 9:36 am

Art Roberts wrote:Take this as a sales pitch on behalf of BMD. With the advertised specs of the BMCC, more so the video reviews raging over the internet, they are aware that a competition may be looming around the corner. Companies like Canon, Nikon and Panasonic who already have established themselves in the DSLR market, could easily take advantage of the delay time frame of the BMCC and flood the market with a competitively priced camera, with features that are equal or better than the BMCC. All companies that have a competitive product are very much aware of how the market operates. And when it comes to consumers there are no loyal followers. Red loyalist are bitting their nails and wishing the BMCC was a dream. So BMD knows that their 15 minutes of glory is up, and will do everything possible to own it. Think 5DM2 and its glorious days, down to 7D, GH2 and the Nikons. We can confidently say that with the advent of the BMCC, they are all things of the past - I want to be careful not to say obsolete. As the DSLR market evolves, it will be un-imaginable, to one day open the toolbox and pickup another camera, instead of the BMCC (Toy Story 1)

Very well stated Art Roberts, and very well thought out, I must agree with you as I know the inevitable & eventual conundrum of what camera and when scenario all to much, I say now is the time! and is always the best time, Procrastination? Waiting? is for suckers, And complaining is for Trolls... period.

Get it?... Got it?... Good!

Dennis Nomer

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 9:48 am

My camera is on its way. To put it plainly: I am thrilled silly! I am in the US and I ordered from a major player, but not B & H because they would not tell me the status of their line when I called, so long ago.

I call it 'my baby'. A human baby gestates 9 months, this thing has been 'gestating' about 7 months, so that is close. Plus the term 'baby Alexa' is apt, so I am happy to call it my baby. If you consider the 'baby clothes', crib and all the other stuff I have purchased in anticipation, there is a parallel there, too. Then there is all of the time I will spend getting to know it and working with it.

My 'baby' is coming!
Dennis Nomer

Darryl Gregory

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 9:52 am

DNomer wrote:My camera is on its way. To put it plainly: I am thrilled silly! I am in the US and I ordered from a major player, but not B & H because they would not tell me the status of their line when I called, so long ago.

I call it 'my baby'. A human baby gestates 9 months, this thing has been 'gestating' about 7 months, so that is close. Plus the term 'baby Alexa' is apt, so I am happy to call it my baby. If you consider the 'baby clothes', crib and all the other stuff I have purchased in anticipation, there is a parallel there, too. Then there is all of the time I will spend getting to know it and working with it.

My 'baby' is coming!

You need a Woman, I suggest "gestating" at a period of 2 weeks, but not longer than 3,
Then just find a "lonely stray" pet adopt it and be happy! :mrgreen:

Congrats on your "Baby", But if you call her Alexa be prepared for a lawsuit :lol:
As far as "all of the time I will spend getting to know it and working with it"?
Just remember all the diaper (SSD) changes you need in a 8hr day?

This was fun, Let's do it again when she is 17 and ready to get married
to her High School sweetheart whom you despise :?

BetaEcho

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 7:09 pm

Darryl Gregory wrote:
Art Roberts wrote:Take this as a sales pitch on behalf of BMD. With the advertised specs of the BMCC, more so the video reviews raging over the internet, they are aware that a competition may be looming around the corner. Companies like Canon, Nikon and Panasonic who already have established themselves in the DSLR market, could easily take advantage of the delay time frame of the BMCC and flood the market with a competitively priced camera, with features that are equal or better than the BMCC. All companies that have a competitive product are very much aware of how the market operates. And when it comes to consumers there are no loyal followers. Red loyalist are bitting their nails and wishing the BMCC was a dream. So BMD knows that their 15 minutes of glory is up, and will do everything possible to own it. Think 5DM2 and its glorious days, down to 7D, GH2 and the Nikons. We can confidently say that with the advent of the BMCC, they are all things of the past - I want to be careful not to say obsolete. As the DSLR market evolves, it will be un-imaginable, to one day open the toolbox and pickup another camera, instead of the BMCC (Toy Story 1)

Very well stated Art Roberts, and very well thought out, I must agree with you as I know the inevitable & eventual conundrum of what camera and when scenario all to much, I say now is the time! and is always the best time, Procrastination? Waiting? is for suckers, And complaining is for Trolls... period.

Get it?... Got it?... Good!

Troll here. Guess I'll stop procrastinating.... Oh wait I'm not the one procrastinating BMD is. Waiting is the enviable outcome of a slow supply chain.

Seaborn

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 8:46 pm

actually, i got a strange feeling!
i always bought gear just after NAB! Not before!!
I really expect to see more raw ultra HD cam comming out next NAB.
I can't imagine panasonic, canon, sony... let this market part to a new player in camera manufacturing!

Nobody feel the same?
Of course bmc is a really great camera... it's why i pre order it in may!!
... i don't expect to get it before the 2013NAB!

Consolation price: i'm sure that when i will get mine, (no#3) if i want to sell it, there will still a lot of people waiting for this unit!
Seaborn studio
https://www.studioseaborn.com

Jim Froom

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 11:19 pm

My dealer (I won't identify them) has over 100 ordered.
I am number 6 in line having ordered the day of the announcement at NAB.
Salesmen said it appeared they hadn't shipped ANY as of last wednesday. I had moved up 2 notches to #6 because of cancellations from a couple months ago.

See someone from Full Compass got one and they didn't order till late April.
Extremely disappointed and frustrated. Not sure, but I believe Full Compass is not a large distributor or dealer and would be surprised if they had 100's on order, but I really don't know one way or another.

Gh3 is gonna be here Tuesday. By Wednesday I'll probably decide to bag the camera and wait another 6 -8 months or so for the shipments to start on next gen stuff that will be announced at NAB. I've lived this long without it, what's another few months.

This is the electronics business and there will be another camera which will trump this that is competitively priced. Since my patience has been stretched, I might as well exercise patience and brains and pass. I've put the 240 GB SSD's in my computer so I don't have any skin in the game.

Mark me down as another who's getting real close to bagging it!
Jim Froom

rick.lang

PostMon Jan 21, 2013 4:46 am

jfro wrote:I've lived this long without it, what's another few months.

Wise words. Hope you see your camera in the next few weeks!

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

ArakAttack

PostMon Jan 21, 2013 2:38 pm

Ok. I live in France, and I have just called the store where I pre-ordered the camera in July (7months ago). They told me they received since the beginning 3 cameras (I am number 11 in line), and also that they have not ANY news from Black Magic, which is totally unprofessional. The NAB 2013 will take place in less than 3 months (I can guess we won't have the camera until then) and will introduce the next gen cameras. I'm not gonna pay 2800 euros for a camera which is already "out of date" even before it went on market. I had so much expectations in this camera that I've waited and trusted your company, but I really really regret that. I should have canceled the order from the beginning. You could at least admit that it is a big FAIL, no other words. Thank you Black Magic

Docmaker

PostMon Jan 21, 2013 4:10 pm

Well...like most people on point of BMC Delivery...I'm lost.

But if I take a step back, out of the forest, take a good hard look at that one tree...
It all becomes obvious.

BMC should of never released or announced this camera last year.
So, why was BMC in such a rush to let the world know?
Somebody out there is about to release a rival. Is all I can think of.

Then BMD switches sensor manufacturers for high volume output...when...their own production lines were not ready. Because at 3000 bucks? How much profit can be made. So, BMD got too smart for their own good.
And unfortunately burned for it.
They have sensors now?
Right? All they need.
Passing the grade, they say
And yet, production output is not worth counting.

So, somebody is lying. Lying without really lying. In other words, not being forthright with all those people that put money down months ago...for a camera.

This is wrong. And all the friendly BMD posts are not worth a nickel.

You can either deliver?
Or you can't.

This is a business, not a social club.

So somebody is lying.
And I know it isn't the customer.

David Chapman

PostMon Jan 21, 2013 5:59 pm

Docmaker wrote:Well...like most people on point of BMC Delivery...I'm lost.

But if I take a step back, out of the forest, take a good hard look at that one tree...
It all becomes obvious.

Then BMD switches sensor manufacturers for high volume output...when...their own production lines were not ready. Because at 3000 bucks? How much profit can be made. So, BMD got too smart for their own good.
They have sensors now?
Right? All they need.

So, somebody is lying. Lying without really lying. In other words, not being forthright with all those people that put money down months ago...for a camera.

You can either deliver?
Or you can't.

So somebody is lying.

I don't know what the mystery is. I thought Grant said it pretty clear. They contracted a company to provide sensors for BMD to assemble into camera bodies. After the models had gone through their paces in development, this company (unnamed) saw a way to make more money. They got a lower bid for the glass provider and went with them—probably without BMD's consent—and continued their process of providing BMD with chips. Since this happened without BMD's approval, the whole team were dumbfounded for months trying to solve the problem.

I think BMD was definitely intending to release the camera in August and the MFT model in December. Since the same sensor is used in both cameras (it's just the mount that's different), this issue has put both on a slow pace, or at least a 4-5 month delay.

After it's all said and done, I'm impressed with BMD's and Grant's personal desire to create the best product without blemish. He never gets on here late at night blasting other companies and I've never seen a snide signature that squashes any hope you have (we all know who does that).
David Chapman
Just another creative dude with a camera.

BetaEcho

PostMon Jan 21, 2013 8:04 pm

davechap wrote:
Docmaker wrote:Well...like most people on point of BMC Delivery...I'm lost.

It all becomes obvious.

They have sensors now?
Right? All they need.

You can either deliver?
Or you can't.

So somebody is lying.

I don't know what the mystery is. I thought Grant said it pretty clear. They contracted a company to provide sensors for BMD to assemble into camera bodies. After the models had gone through their paces in development, this company (unnamed) saw a way to make more money. They got a lower bid for the glass provider and went with them—probably without BMD's consent—and continued their process of providing BMD with chips. Since this happened without BMD's approval, the whole team were dumbfounded for months trying to solve the problem.

I think BMD was definitely intending to release the camera in August and the MFT model in December. Since the same sensor is used in both cameras (it's just the mount that's different), this issue has put both on a slow pace, or at least a 4-5 month delay.

After it's all said and done, I'm impressed with BMD's and Grant's personal desire to create the best product without blemish. He never gets on here late at night blasting other companies and I've never seen a snide signature that squashes any hope you have (we all know who does that).

I agree but at this point given the lack of even vaguely specific information on the production and shipping fronts, and the increased possibility of competitors releasing viable alternatives at NAB, coupled with the fact of long lists of Pre-Orders my patience is all but gone.

I'm asking for customer service not wizardry. If BMD can't operate a supply chain it isn't the consumers who are to blame. I will be pulling my order and taking a step back until after NAB if I do not receive my order within the month of February. This shouldn't be interrupted as a threat but as a plan of action.

My two cents. Cheers!

Csaba Nagy

PostMon Jan 21, 2013 9:07 pm

I really hope BMD are reading these posts people make, they all speak the truth about what they need to do in order to give us the customers what we rightfully deserve. some answers...and our camera...

Docmaker

PostMon Jan 21, 2013 10:00 pm

Of course BMD are reading these posts.

But Petty knows he has a PR bonanza on his hands here.

The cinema camera everybody, including, Phil Bloom are raving about.
For three thousand bucks.
Yes, it is a brilliant image...
If you can get past the noisy fan, lousy audio, you need an external battery and a few other drawbacks...like that fantastic image comes with a four thousand dollar Zeiss lens.

So...many will wait...

But I have as if this afternoon pulled my order.

The dealer didn't want to see me do it...
Seems he's been reading the same posts and has taken Petty's line of logic...

"Hey, they're in production!!"

Yeah, I say, so was Edison's light bulb at first...right out of his own lab."

Seaborn

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 1:51 am

So easy to fool a group of customers who are waiting from 8months!
No dealer have any update!
By my side
Ifi dont deceive mine in feb i cancel my order too
And please bmd learn from this! Dont talk about shipping date if the production is'nt ready
This is my worse purchase experience!!!!! fail
Seaborn studio
https://www.studioseaborn.com

TuTodd

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 2:42 am

It's obvious that BMD announced this camera at NAB2012 to steal the MK III sales. That's their market and if they didn't sell us this false hope of getting this camera in July then everyone with that 3 grand would've spent it on a MK III.

I hope to get my cine cam in the next few weeks but now I ask myself, am I waiting on old technology. Will Canon go quietly into the night or will they strike back at NAB2013 and announce their cine cam that falls somewhere between the MK III and the C100 @ the 3k price point????

I have well over $3K invested into this BMCC but I'm doing my best not to live in regret. :cry:

mhartle

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 5:46 am

Hey Guys,

Unfortunately had to jump ship on the BMCC. Really want this camera but after the crazy wait, and no end insight to this wait, I had to go Red. You can get a Scarlet for a lot less than 15k if you look around on reduser.net It will still be more than the 3k for the BMCC but you are getting a lot more camera with a scarlet so that's definitely something to consider. Also, you will actually have a camera... that's the biggest thing that drew me in.

I sure hope Blackmagic get's their issues figured out. There's a LOT of competition on the horizon. They really put a target on their back with this camera. Not releasing it in a timely fashion was a fatal lapse. They won't be the prettiest girl at the ball for much longer!

Anyway, all the best, can't wait to see the footage you all shoot.

-m

qledbetter

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 12:04 pm

I think NAB 2013 will prove to be disappointing for people expecting a product that will rival the BMCC.

I could be wrong, but from a business perspective it's not in the best interest for any of BMD's competitors to kick up a fuss at this point.

The C100 is roughly $7000 and aside from the fact that it doesn't shoot 2.5k RAW it's arguably a better camera (with regard to ergonomics, features, manufacturer reputation, etc). The same goes for Sony's FS100, and the like. I would imagine that if any of these cameras added RAW capabilities they would sell for at LEAST $10,000, which I'm sure you would all agree is much more than $3,000.

We can be certain that while the big players in this market are watching what BMD does, as of right now the BMCC is no threat, so there's no reason for them to release a better product for a competitive price.

Not only that but Red, Canon, Sony, etc aren't going to break a sweat competing with a product that most people do not have access to or have been waiting for since mid-last year to even see one in real life.

Also, I can't imagine that BMD is developing a 2nd generation BMCC while the 1st generation is still in development.

...but again...I could be wrong. The KineRaw Mini or the Apertus Axiom might surprise us all.

Don't hold your breath.
Be patient.
Study peace.
https://vimeo.com/thebangbangtheory

"Everything you do is the beginning of something new." - The Bang Bang Theory

Thomas Schumacher

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 2:02 pm

qledbetter wrote:I think NAB 2013 will prove to be disappointing for people expecting a product that will rival the BMCC.

I could be wrong, but from a business perspective it's not in the best interest for any of BMD's competitors to kick up a fuss at this point.

The C100 is roughly $7000 and aside from the fact that it doesn't shoot 2.5k RAW it's arguably a better camera (with regard to ergonomics, features, manufacturer reputation, etc). The same goes for Sony's FS100, and the like. I would imagine that if any of these cameras added RAW capabilities they would sell for at LEAST $10,000, which I'm sure you would all agree is much more than $3,000.

We can be certain that while the big players in this market are watching what BMD does, as of right now the BMCC is no threat, so there's no reason for them to release a better product for a competitive price.

Not only that but Red, Canon, Sony, etc aren't going to break a sweat competing with a product that most people do not have access to or have been waiting for since mid-last year to even see one in real life.

Also, I can't imagine that BMD is developing a 2nd generation BMCC while the 1st generation is still in development.

...but again...I could be wrong. The KineRaw Mini or the Apertus Axiom might surprise us all.

Don't hold your breath.
Be patient.
Study peace.

Some rare wise words among the speculations and frustrations around here.
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

anilyonjan

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 2:59 pm

Hello To all black Magic design,
I want to say that black magic design has done really well by bringing black magic design camera on market for specially person or production like mine for low budget production and I really like to thank you all. well I wanted to test and buy this camera for my coming project movie in Nepal and since currently I am in U.A.E. I was going through your re Sellers in Dubai but they unfortunately informed me that they haven't got camera from manufacture itself. So I was really curious if this product is really going to come in market like in U.A.E. soon or there are any other way we can order from you directly. I will really appreciated your help if you can help me in this inquiry. Thank you all once again..

Christine Peterson

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 3:21 pm

anilyonjan wrote:Hello To all black Magic design,
I want to say that black magic design has done really well by bringing black magic design camera on market for specially person or production like mine for low budget production and I really like to thank you all. well I wanted to test and buy this camera for my coming project movie in Nepal and since currently I am in U.A.E. I was going through your re Sellers in Dubai but they unfortunately informed me that they haven't got camera from manufacture itself. So I was really curious if this product is really going to come in market like in U.A.E. soon or there are any other way we can order from you directly. I will really appreciated your help if you can help me in this inquiry. Thank you all once again..

We don't sell any products to customers directly, but you should be able to find an authorized reseller in your area. Here is a list of our authorized resellers in Dubai: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/reselle ... view=brief

In fact, we have someone on these forums from Dubai who has posted about their camera: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3790 He purchased his camera from Mediacast, Dubai.
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

nikotaro

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 5:40 pm

Wake up BM, you are starting to lose clients, tell us what is really happening!!!! tell us the number of how mani cameras can you produce per week, 10-15-or 20....... and if i ordered in august, then i will receive the camera in february or something like this, we neeeed MOR AND TRUE INFORMATION not som "bla bla bla sensore is good now we ar starting production 1 cam per month."

Cabraswel

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 6:08 pm

The problem is that now this camera is almost a year old... BMD could already be working on a slightly more expensive version or an updated model. I think most of us are compromising with the crop because the other massive benefits it offers. While we are willing to overlook the sensor and buy all these wacky lenses to compensate, it sure will be a slap in the face if they announce a new model right after we finally receive our orders. I also would like to say that I don't mind a $5000-$7000 "Pro" version of this camera. Please tell us this information if it is true because I would rather wait another 4 - 5 months and give you more money for a product that I do not feel I am compromising with.

qledbetter

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 6:15 pm

I'm not so sure that asking BMD for specific numbers is a worth while ask for the following reasons:

1) It's too difficult to report that information.

I'm sure that it's possible for BMD to gather and track the numbers of shipments going out, but the man hours it would take to maintain a project of that magnitude would be a greater debacle than getting the cameras made and shipped in the first place. Consider what would have to be done to report the numbers to customers.

Someone would have to log every single camera that gets made, which sellers they should get sent to, when they are sent, and when delivery is expected. That means tracking numbers would also have to be generated and logged. Not only that, they would have to research who reserved a camera at each location (since so many people want BMD to let them know when they'll get their specific camera). That's just the tip of the iceberg. Do you see how this scenario is turning into more of a problem than a worth while initiative?

2) How would they report this information?

Even if BMD did something like I described in my first point, there is no way in the Heavens that they can tell each one of us specifically when we'll get OUR cameras. What do we expect? A spreadsheet with all the orders outlined? Even if a simple spreadsheet or statement came out saying, "10,000 cameras were shipped this week", what good does that do us if we don't know if one of them is ours?

3) Customer speculation.

If BMD reported the numbers today, then by tomorrow we would all speculate on their validity. Some of us will be happy and some of us will be disappointed, thus immediately discrediting the efforts. It's fruitless. The only way to combat this is to release a daily report of the cameras going out and we can't expect the men and women making these cameras to do that just because we're inconvenienced.

4) We don't REALLY want to know how many cameras are going out.

To piggy back off of my last point, we won't be satisfied either way, so knowing would just mess with our brains. BMD could be making and shipping tens of thousands of cameras a week and we still wouldn't be satisfied. I offer a friendly challenge to anyone who reads these forums everyday (like I do) to see how we deal with GOOD news, let alone unsatisfactory or bad news.

I don't mean to sound condescending (in case some take offense).
I'm not happy about the wait either. It sucks....a lot. But, it is what it is.
https://vimeo.com/thebangbangtheory

"Everything you do is the beginning of something new." - The Bang Bang Theory

ArakAttack

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 7:25 pm

I've just came back from my supplier again. The seller himself told me that I should cancel my order and boycott this product as BMD didn't give them any update of the shippings, and that it will take months again. He also said that they would have been late anyway with the camera as they can't build so many cameras in a short time. So that's what I did, and got my money back (7 months waiting for nothing :D). Anyway, I really don't trust this company anymore, even for the quality. That's the end of the trip for me, and I feel released. Good luck to all. I will never ever buy something from this company. A camera needs a really precise work, and I understand BMD has a high level ambition, but I really don't think they have the capacity to build such a camera successfully. I'm pretty sure it will have problems again and again.

10s

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 7:31 pm

Just cancelled my order. It was a wonderful idea and promise. Maybe I'll pick one up later on if nothing better pops up but with NAB around the corner I'll keep an eye out for something fully baked.

Carlos Delilah

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 8:21 pm

im digging the anger :) a lot better than fanboyism.

maybe grant will "see the point" in mass a producing a camera that's been "ready to go" for nearly 2 months (the mft ver.).

mhartle

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 8:44 pm

ArakAttack wrote:I've just came back from my supplier again. The seller himself told me that I should cancel my order and boycott this product as BMD didn't give them any update of the shippings, and that it will take months again. He also said that they would have been late anyway with the camera as they can't build so many cameras in a short time. So that's what I did, and got my money back (7 months waiting for nothing :D). Anyway, I really don't trust this company anymore, even for the quality. That's the end of the trip for me, and I feel released. Good luck to all. I will never ever buy something from this company. A camera needs a really precise work, and I understand BMD has a high level ambition, but I really don't think they have the capacity to build such a camera successfully. I'm pretty sure it will have problems again and again.

Seriously take a look at reduser.net You will see if you read a page back, I had to cancel my order also because of the wait. There are a ton of used scarlets on reduser.net for sale that have really low hours, like 30 to 60. They are selling for cheap, I got one for a little less that 2/3's the price of a new one. You get WAY more camera with the red and also it's totally tested. You know it's gonna work 100% and you know your going to be supported 100%. Of course your going to spend more money...

I'm pretty disappointed with Black Magic. I have been really excited for the camera. I thought it was going to be the perfect bridge between my dslr and having to make a bigger step up. It might be just that but no one really knows because of their delivery troubles. Personally I've been very disappointed with the amount of information coming from Black Magic. I realize 3 grand might be cheap for a camera like this but it's still 3 grand and that's a LOT of money and I expect to be treated better. Truthfully, I'm not sure I'd really want to rely on their product after this experience. They have treated their customers horribly. If I was to get into a bind with their gear and needed their help, I wouldn't have any confidence they would be there for me any more than they are now. If I treated my customers with this much disregard, I would be out of business. I'm sure people at Black Magic are great but they are coming off as an arrogant company that absolutely couldn't care less about their customers. I really feel bad for the resellers, I'd hate to be in their shoes.

Good luck getting your camera's guys. I really hope this stuff get's worked out.

-m

Quentin Pellaton

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 8:54 pm

I will cancel my order tomorrow... It's a shame :cry:

paulkosmala

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 8:57 pm

mhartle wrote:
ArakAttack wrote:I've just came back from my supplier again. The seller himself told me that I should cancel my order and boycott this product as BMD didn't give them any update of the shippings, and that it will take months again. He also said that they would have been late anyway with the camera as they can't build so many cameras in a short time. So that's what I did, and got my money back (7 months waiting for nothing :D). Anyway, I really don't trust this company anymore, even for the quality. That's the end of the trip for me, and I feel released. Good luck to all. I will never ever buy something from this company. A camera needs a really precise work, and I understand BMD has a high level ambition, but I really don't think they have the capacity to build such a camera successfully. I'm pretty sure it will have problems again and again.

Seriously take a look at reduser.net You will see if you read a page back, I had to cancel my order also because of the wait. There are a ton of used scarlets on reduser.net for sale that have really low hours, like 30 to 60. They are selling for cheap, I got one for a little less that 2/3's the price of a new one. You get WAY more camera with the red and also it's totally tested. You know it's gonna work 100% and you know your going to be supported 100%. Of course your going to spend more money...

I'm pretty disappointed with Black Magic. I have been really excited for the camera. I thought it was going to be the perfect bridge between my dslr and having to make a bigger step up. It might be just that but no one really knows because of their delivery troubles. Personally I've been very disappointed with the amount of information coming from Black Magic. I realize 3 grand might be cheap for a camera like this but it's still 3 grand and that's a LOT of money and I expect to be treated better. Truthfully, I'm not sure I'd really want to rely on their product after this experience. They have treated their customers horribly. If I was to get into a bind with their gear and needed their help, I wouldn't have any confidence they would be there for me any more than they are now. If I treated my customers with this much disregard, I would be out of business. I'm sure people at Black Magic are great but they are coming off as an arrogant company that absolutely couldn't care less about their customers. I really feel bad for the resellers, I'd hate to be in their shoes.

Good luck getting your camera's guys. I really hope this stuff get's worked out.

-m

Really, I used a scarlet a few months ago on a project. It froze up. I hear even now it's still buggy.
I remember Philip bloom had a review of the scarlet saying it was less that reliable, caused a lot of bad mojo between him and red. The footage looks fantastic, but reliability is... Well, anyway, hope it works out for you... I know if I personally buy red, I want to buy at least 2 brains, an extra for safety.

c.carlos.n

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 9:15 pm

don't care, I'm staying...
Carlos E Núñez

mhartle

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 9:33 pm

paulkosmala wrote:
mhartle wrote:

-m

Really, I used a scarlet a few months ago on a project. It froze up. I hear even now it's still buggy.
I remember Philip bloom had a review of the scarlet saying it was less that reliable, caused a lot of bad mojo between him and red. The footage looks fantastic, but reliability is... Well, anyway, hope it works out for you... I know if I personally buy red, I want to buy at least 2 brains, an extra for safety.

Boy Haven't heard this at all... I sure hope it's not an issue. I shot a lot on epics and never had any issues. Man, if Red still has issues can you imagine what the BMCC is gonna be like? Luckily this kinda stuff is just software and can be address with an update.

Larry Sellers

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 9:38 pm

just wanted to say that i got my camera and it's awesome.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lupvpwYOqf1qmtlngo1_500.gif

Carlos Delilah

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 10:16 pm

it will be a great camera when it comes out. they just need to start the press w/ the mft.
That department has been idle for too long... start manufacturing them. its time!
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography