Update on Camera Shipments

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

John Brawley

Re: Update on Camera Shipments

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 4:58 am

Costa wrote:
Exactly and at this rate starting from scratch would be quicker...

No. It wouldn't.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Costa Louvieris

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 5:00 am

John Brawley wrote:
Costa wrote:

No. It wouldn't.

jb

Would you be able to tell us how long the BMC was in development for? From design to NAB announcement.
Last edited by Costa Louvieris on Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Brawley

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 5:06 am

Costa wrote:
Would you be able to tell us how long the BMC wad in development for? From design to NAB announcement.

No sorry. I'm not able to share that.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

dennysb

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 7:14 am

John Brawley wrote:
Costa wrote:

No. It wouldn't.

jb

+1 - is not easy to make such a change. (1) you have to have a second source, and sometimes, despite every project management book telling you you should have a second source, sometimes - is not doable from the get go. (2) The sensor is the equivalent of a core CPU on a computer, you don't change this without potentially drastic changes in firmware (3) IC suppliers are (like everyone else) louse to adhering to any standard, PCB board changes are very likely ....... and I could go ON.

I am making a big deal about this, cause I have gone thru these issues many times in my work life - It's a Bit@#!

Taikonaut

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 7:24 am

mhood wrote:
AJ.infinite wrote:My dealer told me today that they are really concerned about the camera's status, and they might have to reevaluate their position with pre orders around the first of Dec because they do not want to carry deposits into the first of the year.

My dealer said the exact same thing. They can't (that's the word he used) carry deposits into the new year. I'm a little fuzzy as to what that means (I prepaid in full back in July) but it certainly looks like I'll get to find out the hard way.

:(

CVP posted on twitter yesterday 1st november saying BMD most likely solve manufacturing problem and most likely shipping both EF and MFT in December.

Taikonaut

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 7:40 am

Andrew Reid wrote:
Taikonaut wrote:CVP has took delivery of its first customer destined BMC. Its gone to Andrew Reid of EOSHD :o

Apparently he was suppose to be number 7 and there are people ahead of him who did NOT get theirs. Can someone confirm this :?:

I really appreciate the frustration. I've waited a LONG time like everyone for the camera. CVP every step of the way have been nothing but honest and helpful. The problem isn't of their making. Indeed the problem isn't even of Blackmagic's making because the sensor glass issue was caused by a third party supplier. It was the third party supplier who was responsible for coming through on this and they didn't.

I was indeed told that I was 7th in line but my original order was made very early and the first pre-orders. I had an issue fully completing the order and I emailed CVP a few days later to say the price on my invoice was incorrect. Just a bug in the system. The correction knocked me down the list on the order of deposit payments I suspect. I fully accept CVP's explanation about the order timestamp being different to the accounting one. In my view the pre-order timestamp is fairer than the accounting dates. I do believe I was first in line. Whilst the NAB announcement was still going on, I was placing my faith in CVP and Blackmagic - rightly so, because this camera is the future.

I am paying the full price for my Blackmagic Cinema Camera. It isn't a beta test program freebie. I will make sure I repay my dues with the blog coverage. Hopefully those who are still waiting for the camera will be fully up to speed on it by the time it ships in quantity, and the delays give Blackmagic valuable time to refine the product. When I back from the Panasonic shoot on Saturday 3rd Nov, I'll check out the firmware on my Blackmagic camera and report back.

Yes but at what point did you find out you were #1 on CVP list?
Nobody knows you were #1 and it seems neither did you until CVP said your camera has arrived a few days ago.
Lucky for you, and unlike everyone who ordered from CVP you did not have to waite as long.
Not that I don't believe what they are saying but equally I cant take their word for it, they can say what they like (not legally of course).
Tom has been told incorrectly were he was with CVP, his place went up and down. Naturally everyone is now concern if their place with CVP is honoured. Especially with very few cameras shipping a single place different means it a different between getting a camera now and not getting it until next year.
I think people, myself included will be kicking off and unlikely to let it go if another scenario blaming their accounting system for someone moving up the queu were to happen again.
I know were I am with the MFT in writing, should someone move ahead I will know and you can bet your backside I will do something about it.

Costa Louvieris

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 8:25 am

CVP have put me on the list for a SONY F5 the day of announcement. If I don't get my camera by February then I will just go with the F5 and it's raw recorder. I already own Sony lenses and an FS100, so this would actually be a good way to go for me. The new Sony primes also look great.

I doubt I'll get my camera by next July at this shipping rate. I will be more than happy to spend the extra cash but not until I have to. I am willing to wait until February (even though I really shouldn't) for the BMCC but after that I'm afraid I will have to jump ship:(

Tom

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 11:47 am

Taikonaut wrote:Tom has been told incorrectly were he was with CVP, his place went up and down. Naturally everyone is now concern if their place with CVP is honoured.

Just to clarify for fairness, I was informed at the time that these numbers were estimates sent via email. The variations apparently derive from the various methods of estimating the position. Once I telephoned CVP directly, they gave me a much more solid figure of my position based on the time stamp of my order, and also advised me on their current expectations. I highly recommend to any other CVP customers concerned about their pre-order to telephone CVP, they are very friendly and helpful.
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

bhook

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 11:53 am

John Brawley wrote:
Costa wrote:

No. It wouldn't.

jb

How about another supplier for the infamous glass? That's not a sensor change and isn't really starting from scratch. Or is there more to it than the glass?

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 12:25 pm

mhood wrote:
John Brawley wrote:
Costa wrote:

No. It wouldn't.

jb

How about another supplier for the infamous glass? That's not a sensor change and isn't really starting from scratch. Or is there more to it than the glass?

Still not a simple or quick process. As you should of gleaned from the BMD posts and the Hot Rod cameras guys post, glass of the standard required is hard stuff to make. After this sort of experience it should be clear that BMD can't just accept glass from a new manufacterer either, a time consuming testing process would have to be undergone. Then theres the time for nehotiating a supply of the glass, not something that BMD are going to have a strong position on, it's known that this is keeping a major project down and is something of a PR nightmare for BMD, would you want to engotiate in that position?

The latest BMD post also hsa a couple of possible meanings, of which its possible several may be true. BMD may just be being cautious after the intial issues and taking things slow, the supplier may still be sending some dodgy glasss, the supplier may be struggling to up the speed (possible increase the speed and keep quality) of manufacture. Certainly being extra cautious about glass makes sense for a period at least, and that would remain true if they switched glass supplier (of which i doubt there is a huge choice), as can you imagine the reaction if they ramped up production and the cameras were flawed as a result of insufficient checks.

Jesuan Soriano

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 2:58 pm

Costa wrote:CVP have put me on the list for a SONY F5 the day of announcement. If I don't get my camera by February then I will just go with the F5 and it's raw recorder. I already own Sony lenses and an FS100, so this would actually be a good way to go for me. The new Sony primes also look great.

I doubt I'll get my camera by next July at this shipping rate. I will be more than happy to spend the extra cash but not until I have to. I am willing to wait until February (even though I really shouldn't) for the BMCC but after that I'm afraid I will have to jump ship:(

But the F5 will be like $18k and you'll need an expensive external recorder for raw. And new specified sony media. It will cost you a lot. For that price get an epic :). And i think F5 comes in PL mount.

And My question to the people is....

What if is Sony the manufacturer of the sensor and they're trying to smash BMD and that's why there are so many problems with the sensor just in benefit of F5/F55???

I'm pretty wrong for sure but now if the problem is the sensor it looks like the supplier doesn't want the BMCC to be shipped.....

Jesus
Jesus Soriano

bhook

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 3:02 pm

I suggested industrial sabotage several days ago in a joking manner...nobody laughed. :shock:

Jesuan Soriano

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 3:22 pm

OH sorry !!!! :D

but yeah it begins to sound like that...if that is the real problem....
Some time ago I saw a webpage where they told that BMCC would have a sensor they found. I don't remember the brand but it was the exact size of the BMCC....same resolution and it had a global shutter and capable of 120 fps at 2k . I always thought that the delay of the shippment was because they decided to change to that sensor....but... now I know it wasn't :(

Jesus

edit: here it is
http://www.eoshd.com/content/7969/black ... ae-systems
the date is April 24.
Jesus Soriano

Costa Louvieris

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 4:14 pm

Jesuan wrote:
Costa wrote:CVP have put me on the list for a SONY F5 the day of announcement. If I don't get my camera by February then I will just go with the F5 and it's raw recorder. I already own Sony lenses and an FS100, so this would actually be a good way to go for me. The new Sony primes also look great.

But the F5 will be like $18k and you'll need an expensive external recorder for raw. And new specified sony media. It will cost you a lot. For that price get an epic :). And i think F5 comes in PL mount.

And My question to the people is....

What if is Sony the manufacturer of the sensor and they're trying to smash BMD and that's why there are so many problems with the sensor just in benefit of F5/F55???

I'm pretty wrong for sure but now if the problem is the sensor it looks like the supplier doesn't want the BMCC to be shipped.....

Jesus

I don't believe the F5 will be that expensive. I think the F3 will come down in price and Sony will try and price match the RED Scarlet with the F5. Guess work here, but that seems sensible. Also, the F5 may output 16 bit RAW (I think at 14 stops but could be wrong) but it IS compressed slightly in the recorder.

As for the sensor issue... no! I believe this is a BMD mistake pure and simple. They made the EXACT same mistake with their Hyperdeck Studio Pro. Please search for the thread "Delay of Hyperdeck Studio pro" and see there how delayed that unit is also. A lot of annoyed customers. Are we to blame a SSD recorder being delayed on sensors too?

No, in all reality BMD made a mistake starting with announcing a release date so close to NAB when they hadn't yet tested the sensors from the supplier or had any BMD units made to go for release. NAB was from April 6 - 11. They announced it with the intent of shipping just 2-3 MONTHS after the show. At this time they should have known about supply of sensors etc, but we all know they were STILL testing units according to John Brawley with the intent of finding bugs... is it me or would you not bug test BEFORE announcing a release date?

Also blaming a company we know little to nothing about (sensor company) seems too easy. At this stage to STILL be doing conference calls instead of heading out there and seeing what's going on seems silly.

Finally, there also seems to be a yoyo effect going on here with regards to information updates. First its.. what? It was late before the sensor issue and very late, so what was the issue before that? Then, well it was the sensor issue. Then it was fixed but the process in making them had slowed down due to the fault. THEN? Well now its a sensor issue again, but I'm sure Grant himself said that was now fixed in his last update.

Yes this may be a problem with the supplier, but ultimately the blame lies with BMD for not researching their own product more before announcing a release date. I actually knew it would be delayed way back in April as it was far too close to the announcement... but I didn't guess the delay would be this massive. Even if BMD had given a tentative 2012 release date of Q4 2012 (which according to a BMD they now do) they still would have been way off.

SO this is why I asked John Brawley what the timeframe between concept to release announcement was. As I think it was a very narrow one to be this far off.

If we look at the announcement of the F5 & F55 we can see that Sony are a more experienced company and have announced a date about 3 months in the future, however I think this will be too optimistic as well and Sony are much more established that BMD. It was ALWAYS optimistic on BMD's part for an end of July release date. ALWAYS.

Anyways this will likely draw hate from the BMD fanboys, so I will say goodbye until the next update.

Thanks for listening
Costa

Edit - Oh and I fully expect the F5 and F55 to still be in development, but Sony are an ESTABLISHED camera manufacturer and have experience here.

Cuboirs

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 9:51 pm

Yupp with the new announcement from Sony looks like I'm going to pass on BMCC and canon altogether as the F5 seems the way to go ,yes it's more expensive most likely under 15k,but it's a monster of a camera indeed and somewhat future proof for some time......
Last edited by Cuboirs on Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christian Schmeer

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 10:27 pm

The only reason I am considering getting the BMCC is the RAW capability. If it only shot in ProRes, I probably wouldn't bother getting it and I would stick with my 5D Mark III, which I will keep anyway because I will need it for my photographic work. Saying that, I realise how much better recording in an editing codec like ProRes is in comparison to a playback codec like h.264, but I simply couldn't justify the expense. Also, any RAW video camera other than the BMCC is far too expensive for me. I find it interesting however, that some of you are considering the $3,000 BMCC as an alternative to some $5,000-15,000+ cameras even if some of you could probably afford those: After all, you are writing about considering buying these cameras instead of the BMCC, and "jumping ship" if nothing happens within the next few weeks, even if some of this talk might just be frustration talking (for obvious reasons). I guess on some level that says something the BMCC's quality.

Of course I am excited about the BMCC as a whole, but thinking of working with RAW video is what I am most excited about, especially after having a go with John Brawley's DNG files. I expect it to be similar to the transition from shooting JPEG to shooting RAW on DSLR cameras: you know they're going to fill up your hard drives like crazy, but once you make the switch, you won't want to shoot any major projects you value in JPEG. I think I may still resort to ProRes on the BMCC for general usage and B-reel type shots, but I expect to shoot all planned projects in RAW.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Cuboirs

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 11:58 pm

cschmeer wrote:The only reason I am considering getting the BMCC is the RAW capability. If it only shot in ProRes, I probably wouldn't bother getting it and I would stick with my 5D Mark III, which I will keep anyway because I will need it for my photographic work. Saying that, I realise how much better recording in an editing codec like ProRes is in comparison to a playback codec like h.264, but I simply couldn't justify the expense. Also, any RAW video camera other than the BMCC is far too expensive for me. I find it interesting however, that some of you are considering the $3,000 BMCC as an alternative to some $5,000-15,000+ cameras even if some of you could probably afford those: After all, you are writing about considering buying these cameras instead of the BMCC, and "jumping ship" if nothing happens within the next few weeks, even if some of this talk might just be frustration talking (for obvious reasons). I guess on some level that says something the BMCC's quality.

Of course I am excited about the BMCC as a whole, but thinking of working with RAW video is what I am most excited about, especially after having a go with John Brawley's DNG files. I expect it to be similar to the transition from shooting JPEG to shooting RAW on DSLR cameras: you know they're going to fill up your hard drives like crazy, but once you make the switch, you won't want to shoot any major projects you value in JPEG. I think I may still resort to ProRes on the BMCC for general usage and B-reel type shots, but I expect to shoot all planned projects in RAW.

In my situation I was buying 3 BMCC ,so getting into a more expensive camera isn't as tough on me as if I were buying only 1....also as we've been waiting I've been also giving the opportunity to save more and research more as to what would be exactly what best suits my work...and quite frankly some of the features as I really wished we're on the BMCC are on the F5.Also I won't encounter the wide angle problem as I would've on the BMCC which there are few GREAT solutions for...

Bill Rich

PostSat Nov 03, 2012 11:59 pm

cschmeer.. I agree with you 100%! If I had the money I would go with the Sony F5.. but unless I get an unexpected inheritance.. I'm sticking with the BMCC! I did however send the info about the F5 to our Chief of Photographers who most likely will pick up a few pre-release cameras for evaluation.. :) IMHO to me the Sony F5 is more attractive than a RED.
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

Costa Louvieris

PostSun Nov 04, 2012 10:19 am

Bill Rich wrote:cschmeer.. I agree with you 100%! If I had the money I would go with the Sony F5.. but unless I get an unexpected inheritance.. I'm sticking with the BMCC! I did however send the info about the F5 to our Chief of Photographers who most likely will pick up a few pre-release cameras for evaluation.. :) IMHO to me the Sony F5 is more attractive than a RED.

It's not about if you have any money, but WHEN you have the money:) Buy a F5 on finance do some jobs get paid... when you don't have work, rent it out. Do you think all the camera rental places buy cameras outright? Nooooo. If you don't think you can get the work then you shouldn't be buying any cameras at all.

For instance we have a studio I designed (full of BMD gear) that we rent out. For the last few months I have had non stop work. I think we have filmed over 20hrs worth of footage in there in a month. I know if I get an F5 we'll likely get even more work. It's all about taking risks... it could backfire, but a business doesn't grow without taking risks, just ask BMD:)

Theodore Prentice

PostSun Nov 04, 2012 2:21 pm

Costa wrote:If you don't think you can get the work then you shouldn't be buying any cameras at all.

Hey it will be wedding season again in a few months..right!?

Christian Schmeer

PostSun Nov 04, 2012 3:19 pm

So it's been "a day or two", hopefully we'll know more tomorrow (Monday) :)
www.christianschmeer.com

Costa Louvieris

PostSun Nov 04, 2012 5:22 pm

cschmeer wrote:So it's been "a day or two", hopefully we'll know more tomorrow (Monday) :)

Well it's approaching early morning in Australia. I would think by the end of the day (Aus time) we would be at two full business days since the last announcement, which would mean we "should" have an announcement as it would be "1-2 days" since the last. But I would expect a delay on that to probably mid week. I doubt BMD would have gotten any information out of them over the weekend.

Just another case of misinformation. I would love to be wrong. In fact if I am I will personally flame myself. Before you get your hopes up people... Not literally, obviously;)

bigstories

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 6:48 am

Hi Grant,
If all was right with the world and the factory was running at 100%, how many cameras a week would be going to good homes? Now, how many back orders do you have?, nearest 1000 will do. If you have those numbers and you should, then what is the final result by dividing the first by the second. This number will give your loyal end users some comfort. We understand that this is not a thing that you can control, we understand that it may not be tomorrow that all is up to speed.... but we have some decisions to make

Espen Munthe

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 9:01 am

I wish to offer my sincerest good wishes to the production/testing team at BMD.

I had the good fortune of moving to profesional level gear at precisely the time that BMD offered the BMCC.

The more I read and discover the more I am wedded to the camera. The 12bit CinemaDNG to SSD to Davinci Resolve to FCPX workflow is to me extremely gratifying to purchase as my first pro workflow.

I am so happy to be able to skip over all the compromises and intentional limitations that the digital video industry has imposed on all but its highest-end customers.

I am glad of BMDs uncompromising attitude to offering its customers the best technology available at un-inflated prices.

So, even while I'm dying for my pre-paid camera, Im glad that BMD were so bold as to make the right decision and make the camera that Ive been waiting for.

Sincerely
Espen Munthe
Espen Munthe

Costa Louvieris

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 9:07 am

emunthe wrote:I wish to offer my sincerest good wishes to the production/testing team at BMD.

I had the good fortune of moving to profesional level gear at precisely the time that BMD offered the BMCC.

The more I read and discover the more I am wedded to the camera. The 12bit CinemaDNG to SSD to Davinci Resolve to FCPX workflow is to me extremely gratifying to purchase as my first pro workflow.

I am so happy to be able to skip over all the compromises and intentional limitations that the digital video industry has imposed on all but its highest-end customers.

I am glad of BMDs uncompromising attitude to offering its customers the best technology available at un-inflated prices.

So, even while I'm dying for my pre-paid camera, Im glad that BMD were so bold as to make the right decision and make the camera that Ive been waiting for.

Sincerely
Espen Munthe

I'm confused. How can you thank someone for something you haven't been given or used? I will gladly thank BMD when they ship me my camera, until then I would appreciate the update which is now overdue. Again this is not to mock BMD or yourself, just MY feelings toward what is happening which obviously greatly differ from yours. However (before the loyalists come for me) your views are just as valid as mine. That's what makes us individuals.

AJ.infinite

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 3:14 pm

just WOW :roll:

but

seriously, I really expected an update.

Christian Schmeer

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 3:42 pm

AJ.infinite wrote:just WOW :roll:

but

It might still come? :? :mrgreen:
www.christianschmeer.com

Costa Louvieris

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 3:44 pm

cschmeer wrote:

but

At 2:21am Melbourne time?

AJ.infinite

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 3:50 pm

Costa wrote:
cschmeer wrote:

but

Why not? BMD should be clocking mandatory OVERTIME, burning the midnight oil!!! hell, all night oil!!! Let's get those camera's shipping :arrow:

:shock:

Christian Schmeer

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 4:02 pm

Costa wrote:
cschmeer wrote:It might still come? :? :mrgreen:

In 7 hours it'll be 10AM Tuesday there and 11PM Monday here (UK), so an update might still come tonight (in my time zone).
www.christianschmeer.com

Jason R. Johnston

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 4:44 pm

emunthe wrote:I wish to offer my sincerest good wishes to the production/testing team at BMD.

Sincerely
Espen Munthe

+1
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

AJ.infinite

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 5:01 pm

Sincerely
Espen Munthe

Are you employed at BMD? :lol: If not you gotta be the worlds best customer.

wcapps1

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 5:11 pm

cschmeer wrote:So it's been "a day or two", hopefully we'll know more tomorrow (Monday) :)

A day or two? In Blackmagic terms, that means another vague update on Friday (or later).
Wayne Capps
Reserve Productions
www.ReserveProductions.com

Andrew Usher

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 5:33 pm

I was really all for this camera, deposit is paid etc, but now, with all the delays and lack of communications, i am now sitting 80 percent leaning towards a Red Scarlet, if it wasnt for the import duty and VAT, i would be 100 percent ordering......

But i still would love in the next day or so, BMD to say its all systems go on the camera, but i cant see it.

A.

AJ.infinite

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 6:21 pm

Grant Petty wrote:The good news is that at least the sensors are looking good and cameras are being built. Just in low volume initially this week. I hope over the next week or so as everyone becomes more confident that the sensor glass problem has been solved that we get increasing volume and people get their cameras. This could mean that cameras start arriving at resellers in about a week or two, depending on how things ramp and how long it takes to ship them.

I hope this update helps. The sensors we are getting are good, and so thats a really good sign. As long as the following batches remain good, then we will be ok. However it looks good so far from this weeks production results.

Grant Petty
Blackmagic Design

Kristian Lam wrote:Right now, we are still not happy with the quality that we are getting from the glass window of the sensors so we're being extra careful. As such, we are only sending out a small number of cameras each day.

PaulDelVecchio

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 6:26 pm

AJ.infinite wrote:
Grant Petty wrote:The good news is that at least the sensors are looking good and cameras are being built. Just in low volume initially this week. I hope over the next week or so as everyone becomes more confident that the sensor glass problem has been solved that we get increasing volume and people get their cameras. This could mean that cameras start arriving at resellers in about a week or two, depending on how things ramp and how long it takes to ship them.

I hope this update helps. The sensors we are getting are good, and so thats a really good sign. As long as the following batches remain good, then we will be ok. However it looks good so far from this weeks production results.

Grant Petty
Blackmagic Design

Kristian Lam wrote:Right now, we are still not happy with the quality that we are getting from the glass window of the sensors so we're being extra careful. As such, we are only sending out a small number of cameras each day.

Yeah exactly. I'm a little confused by this. Maybe the initial shipments/sensors they checked seemed to be good but they started finding bad ones. Who knows...

Hopefully the next announcement will clear up some of this, as many of us thought the slow output was because they were just being extra careful. Now it's looking like we're in for a much longer delay.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Costa Louvieris

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 6:35 pm

PaulDelVecchio wrote:
AJ.infinite wrote:

Grant Petty
Blackmagic Design

Yeah exactly. I'm a little confused by this. Maybe the initial shipments/sensors they checked seemed to be good but they started finding bad ones. Who knows...

Hopefully the next announcement will clear up some of this, as many of us thought the slow output was because they were just being extra careful. Now it's looking like we're in for a much longer delay.

I'm beginning to think the sensor thing is just an easy excuse...! I mean, what's their excuse for having over 5 months of delays on TWO of their products. Grrr

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 7:19 pm

PaulDelVecchio wrote:
AJ.infinite wrote:

Grant Petty
Blackmagic Design

I suspect that it means that those they have tested properly are checking out fine, but they are being cautious and testing all them to a higher than normal degree. This is naturally slowing things down, but BM have decided that as bad as this is, it is preferiable to sending out dodgy cameras.

When BM have satisfied that sufficent sensors have passed through this process to use a quicker checks process then they will step things up.

BM clearly need to not announce dates for new products etc till they have started volume production.

AJ.infinite

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 7:43 pm

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks wrote:

I suspect that it means that those they have tested properly are checking out fine, but they are being cautious and testing all them to a higher than normal degree. This is naturally slowing things down, but BM have decided that as bad as this is, it is preferiable to sending out dodgy cameras.

And the reason for the latest update, where Kristian Lam says "Right now, we are still not happy with the quality that we are getting from the glass window of the sensors"

getting good sensors, and being careful is completely different from "we are still not happy with the quality that we are getting from the glass window of the sensor"!! :?

Costa Louvieris

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 7:47 pm

AJ.infinite wrote:

And the reason for the latest update, where Kristian Lam says "Right now, we are still not happy with the quality that we are getting from the glass window of the sensors"

getting good sensors, and being careful is completely different from "we are still not happy with the quality that we are getting from the glass window of the sensor"!! :?

I agree with you. There seems to be a lot of reading between the lines from some people. What was meant was obvious.

Tom Sefton

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 8:11 pm

Hey good news. Sensors are all ok and we have like 15,000 cameras just say here waiting for UPS to come get them.
Tom Sefton
Owner
Pollen Studio
www.pollenstudio.co.uk

steisimo

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 8:19 pm

ARE YOU F.....G KIDDING??????????????????????
Stein Simonsen
3d designer

Dave Dominguez

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 8:36 pm

Pollenstudio wrote:Hey good news. Sensors are all ok and we have like 15,000 cameras just say here waiting for UPS to come get them.

i wish this was coming from grant.
https://vimeo.com/daviddominguez

samuelchristopher

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 8:46 pm

Pollenstudio wrote:Hey good news. Sensors are all ok and we have like 15,000 cameras just say here waiting for UPS to come get them.

I also reply with ARE YOU F***ING KIDDING ME! Dont toy with me, I'm a man on the edge ;)

Also would love to hear this from Grants mouth please!!!
Samuel Christopher
@samchristopher
www.samuelchristopher.co.uk

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 8:47 pm

AJ.infinite wrote:

Exactly as I said, they are not yet happy that enough not to test them thouroughly.

AJ.infinite wrote:getting good sensors, and being careful is completely different from "we are still not happy with the quality that we are getting from the glass window of the sensor"!! :?

No it isnt. The two statements are entirely constent. If they were happy with the quality of the sensors they'd slap most of them straight into the cameras without testing. Not being happy yet to do that means they arent happy with the quality of the sensor.

If they are happy with the quality of the sensors then an extra layer of checks is uneeded and they can ramp up.

Nothing in Lam's statement actually contradicts anything in Perry's, Lam's statement's most logical explination is that it was someone elses phrasing of the original, to provide one of theses regular updates we've been demanding. It could be read diffrently, but the second most logical reading of not being happy woth the sensor quality is that they arent up to scratch, but if that was the case they shouldnt be sending any out, which the later part of the statement says they are sending a few a day.

Lam's statement also suggests a continuation of an existing position, rather than a new development.

In other words BM at the time of Lam's statement still werent ready to give us any actual new info so a re-worded statement was issued.

Nick Bedford

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 8:55 pm

Come on Blackmagic! I don't have all day (year).
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

Costa Louvieris

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 8:56 pm

Sorry Pete but when the original sensor issue occurred 5% were ok and were shipped. The implication is that they are still getting bad sensors but not ALL of them are bad, hence the limited volumes shipped. The newest statement DOES contradict the last. At this point if every sensor was checked and ok'd (even if it is going slowly) so far they would go with it. Simple.

Nick Bedford

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 8:58 pm

Costa wrote:Sorry Pete but when the original sensor issue occurred 5% were ok and were shipped. The implication is that they are still getting bad sensors but not ALL of them are bad, hence the limited volumes shipped. The newest statement DOES contradict the last. At this point if every sensor was checked and ok'd (even if it is going slowly) so far they would go with it. Simple.

Yeah, it's actually pretty obvious that they are contradictory statements. One says, "we're happy and soon we'll ramp up," and the other says, "we're not happy and we haven't ramped up."
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

Costa Louvieris

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 9:05 pm

Nick Bedford wrote:
Costa wrote:Sorry Pete but when the original sensor issue occurred 5% were ok and were shipped. The implication is that they are still getting bad sensors but not ALL of them are bad, hence the limited volumes shipped. The newest statement DOES contradict the last. At this point if every sensor was checked and ok'd (even if it is going slowly) so far they would go with it. Simple.

Yeah, it's actually pretty obvious that they are contradictory statements. One says, "we're happy and soon we'll ramp up," and the other says, "we're not happy and we haven't ramped up."

Agreed. The fact people are still making up excuses amuses me.

AJ.infinite

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 9:22 pm

Pete, however you read it, your interpretation is not consistent with what's been posted by BMD.

but I guess Nick Bedford, and Costa have already cleared the air.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography