Camera Shipping Update: 11/15

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

David

Re: Camera Shipping Update: 11/15

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 7:52 pm

AJ.infinite wrote:Well, while you guys wait... anyone in the USA want a Brand new Viewfactor BMC cage for 285.00 shipped?

Let me know, I also have a Sandisk Extreme 480gb SSD for sale I'll sell for 295.00 shipped in USA

Have you tried the cage? I've been thinking about getting one. They look really cool but it looks like a pain to get to the record button.
David Daniel
Dilettante

AJ.infinite

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 8:16 pm

The cage has good reviews from all the users that I've seen... I cant really see there being an issue with accessing the record button. The front edge of the BMCC lines up with the outer edge of the cage on the sides near the record button, so no issue there.

David wrote:
AJ.infinite wrote:Well, while you guys wait... anyone in the USA want a Brand new Viewfactor BMC cage for 285.00 shipped?

Let me know, I also have a Sandisk Extreme 480gb SSD for sale I'll sell for 295.00 shipped in USA

Have you tried the cage? I've been thinking about getting one. They look really cool but it looks like a pain to get to the record button.

Nick Bedford

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 9:11 pm

AJ.infinite wrote:The cage has good reviews from all the users that I've seen... I cant really see there being an issue with accessing the record button. The front edge of the BMCC lines up with the outer edge of the cage on the sides near the record button, so no issue there.

David wrote:

There's a record button on the back too.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

David

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 9:13 pm

I know. I'm just picky.

It's a good looking cage.
David Daniel
Dilettante

Ryan McCarvill

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 3:32 am

Why buy a cage when the BMCC has mounts on the top of it? Seems to me that the BMCC is a cage.

Kholi Hicks

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 3:44 am

Actually, with the cage on I use the front record button mostly. =] It's perfect.
Kholi Hicks

David

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 3:59 am

Ryan McCarvill wrote:Why buy a cage when the BMCC has mounts on the top of it? Seems to me that the BMCC is a cage.

Frankly, I pretty much agree with you. I've been lugging mine around on a tripod all week and haven't missed a cage at all...

...but that contineo just looks so damn cool. I'm torn, and I got's some coin thats burning a hole in my pocket.
David Daniel
Dilettante

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 4:16 am

Ryan McCarvill wrote:Why buy a cage when the BMCC has mounts on the top of it? Seems to me that the BMCC is a cage.

In general I agree.

If I need a few additional mount points, I might get this small mount plate instead of a cage. Only $45:
http://store.redrockmicro.com/Catalog/u ... ema-camera

Taikonaut

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 4:24 am

Tom wrote:
Andy Smith wrote:As far as i know there's been only one unit shipped to our fair isles. So they are shipping to some and not some others.

there have been at least 3 units (possibly more) to the UK.

I know that Jigsaw24 and CVP received at least 1 demo unit each and that CVP received a unit to sell last month or so also.

Not that this is impressive or good enough - i'm just informing :-p

And Bloom got one too. Demo units don't really count and as to date there is only one that has gone to a customer in the UK.

Taikonaut

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 4:38 am

NAB 2012 Blackmagic Design became star attraction of the show causing ripple in the industry when their triumphant Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera was announced with much fanfare. As media frenzy descended upon BMD the company took the inaugural International Association of Broadcasting Manufacturers "Game Changer" award.

NAB 2013 Blackmagic Design walk of shame :(

cengizözgök

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 10:26 am

Knok Knok ...
Hello ,Hello Hello BMC
Is anybody in there ??????
Nobody huh ...? ? !!

Tom

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 10:41 am

Well I guess its too late in Australia now to expect an update in the next 12 hours. I guess you wouldnt update at the weekend either, so its likely to be another few days at least. :-(

I can understand if you are waiting for solid information, but even if you posted in this thread just saying that you hope to issue an update soon, or simply why you have not updated yet etc - ANYTHING is better than silence.

As a first time customer of Blackmagic, I do not feel upset about the shipping delay - I know these things happen, and I don't judge blackmagic because of the delay, but what does taint my perception of them at the moment is how they are dealing with the end users in this situation. 2 weeks without any communication is not acceptable as far as I am concerned. Even if the response is devoid of any actual information, but simply an acknowledgement of the delayed update or what is currently delaying a proper update.

I don't like sounding this whiny and I do wish to come across sympathetic to the frustrations felt from both the end users and blackmagic, but as each silent day passes, my patience and confidence fades away.
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

Luke Armstrong

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 11:37 am

@ Tom - Christine posted a few pages back to say they're still working on getting an update from Australia.

Personally I think this is getting beyond ridiculous now, I thought the problem was solved? How long are we going to have to wait find out what is going on let alone get our cameras? Why are you keeping us in the dark? Why do you think that is ok?

Why should I care anymore?
Luke Armstrong - Digital Compositor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4274789/

Tom

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 11:41 am

Luke Armstrong wrote:@ Tom - Christine posted a few pages back to say they're still working on getting an update from Australia.

Personally I think this is getting beyond ridiculous now,I thought the problem was solved? How long are we going to have to wait? Why are you keeping us in the dark? Why do you think that is ok?

That is a fair point I guess. What her post said to me was that even other BMD departments are being kept in the dark.
Tom Majerski

bhook

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 12:06 pm

Luke Armstrong wrote:@ Tom - Christine posted a few pages back to say they're still working on getting an update from Australia.

How much actual work is involved in typing out an update? I'm with Luke: Why in the World does BMD choose to behave like this? Aren't they concerned about their reputation?

Abobakr M. Alshiblie

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 1:30 pm

Luke Armstrong wrote:...Why are you keeping us in the dark?..

The name says it.. Black Magic.. Dark Crafts and Stuffs.. It is their craft =P

c.carlos.n

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 2:13 pm

¿Christine?
Carlos E Núñez

Antonio Rosiello

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 2:36 pm

I'm praying that something similar to BMCC will come out to skip product, they really don't deserve my patience no more.

matthijsliethof

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 3:39 pm

mhood wrote:

How much actual work is involved in typing out an update? I'm with Luke: Why in the World does BMD choose to behave like this? Aren't they concerned about their reputation?

Maybe they're sending the updates by postal pidgeons?

c.carlos.n

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 3:40 pm

¿Update Time?
Carlos E Núñez

Adrian Musto

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 3:45 pm

Regardless of how most people feel and regardless of the damage being done to BMD's reputation, they still know that people will wait regardless. They currently have a desirable product at a price point that nobody else has.

Just wait for an update and stop moaning, its getting old. Whinging is not going to change anything because it hasn't up until now.

John Bartman

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 3:53 pm

I will update everyone next week when we know. I also hope to have more info on how fast they can ramp up with this new supplier and the new test.

Joerg Plechinger

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 4:01 pm

Grant Petty wrote: .. hope ...

... the essence of it all? :cry:

John Bartman

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 6:14 pm

PLATO: you should not hype a new camera before you know that the sensors work

Christian Schmeer

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 7:22 pm

bartman wrote:PLATO: you should not hype a new camera before you know that the sensors work

Now that's some useful wisdom :D I hope BMD can get their act together because now it's been another week without an update :roll:
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

bhook

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 7:35 pm

cschmeer wrote:
bartman wrote:PLATO: you should not hype a new camera before you know that the sensors work

Now that's some useful wisdom :D I hope BMD can get their act together because now it's been another week without an update :roll:

We've been here before...remember? It was like "Oooops, I forgot!" :lol:

MikeLawson

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 8:48 pm

I really hate bitching again but it's not cool that an update is two weeks late. We should retitle the shipping thread as "Bitch and Moan" but some of it is justified.

POSSIBLE GOOD NEWS/NO NEWS. I remember someone posting a conversation they had with B&H about all pre-orders expected to be filled by the end of the year. I've talked to B&H a couple times since. One time a guy said they had no information, and the last time I called (which was Tuesday or Wednesday) the rep looked at a recent letter from the purchasing department stating that they expect all EF pre-orders to be filled by the end of the year. That still might not mean anything, and things change every week.

George Wharmby

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 8:49 pm

I have to admit I've kept quiet for months now, I was made to pay in full (I know not BMCC's fault) and I'm getting a bit itchy. I just hope it comes soon. It still says the MFT mount is to be shipped in December on their site, that's tomorrow.....

bhook

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 8:53 pm

George Wharmby wrote:It still says the MFT mount is to be shipped in December on their site, that's tomorrow.....

Please accept these words in kindness from an old EF preorder: "Welcome to my nightmare". :(

(My reseller's Website still says "Expected availability: September 2012".
Last edited by bhook on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Sefton

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 8:53 pm

I hope those flip flops taste nice peter because I can't see any way that I will be getting my one remaining order before January!
Tom Sefton
Owner
Pollen Studio
www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Kevin

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 9:19 pm

What do you all think of the Sony NEX-VG900. For $3300 it seems to be a better product overall. I too want the BM Camera.. but am worried about the small censor size for good shallow depth of field. This sony seems like a better product for similar price.

Jeggintonfilms

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 9:31 pm

If you've watched some of the numerous test videos people have released you will see shallow depth of field is very much achievable. People made a big fuss over it to start with (I too was concerned) but with a voigtlander f0.95 lens it should give nice shallow DOF. The most exciting thing about this camera for me is the great dynamic range it produces. That's equally important in contributing to the "film look" as shallow DOF is in my opinion.
Filmmaker & Camera-operator
www.jontyegginton.com

Tom

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 9:31 pm

Kevin wrote:What do you all think of the Sony NEX-VG900. For $3300 it seems to be a better product overall. I too want the BM Camera.. but am worried about the small censor size for good shallow depth of field. This sony seems like a better product for similar price.

http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads ... vg-900.jpg

I rest my case :-p
Tom Majerski

thejasonbee

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 9:35 pm

Tom wrote:
Kevin wrote:What do you all think of the Sony NEX-VG900. For $3300 it seems to be a better product overall. I too want the BM Camera.. but am worried about the small censor size for good shallow depth of field. This sony seems like a better product for similar price.

http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads ... vg-900.jpg

I rest my case :-p

Agreed...the words, "no comparison" come to mind.
Dear BMD...I want my camera, dehmmit.

DanAllen

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 9:41 pm

NEX-VG900 = Fail!
When I see that camera, I picture those typical consumer cameras. Interchangeable lenses, 1080p, and branding are just marketing.

Great find Tom. This is a reminder that the BMCC is on an entirely new level.

Kevin

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 9:45 pm

Wow..the BM does have much nicer contrast compared to the VG900. I am still trying to learn the difference between all these sensor sizes and such. Seems to me the full frame should take in more light, better color, etc.. but I guess the BM sensor is able to achieve better color? I love the 12-bit RAW record capability.. I didn't see however what the HDMI output on the Sony was.

I am not sure if I can even afford this camera one day.. how I'll also afford a couple good 0.95 lenses! I have a 28mm 1.8 that on my T2i is just not nearly wide enough for me.

I am curious, since so many of you on this thread shoot cinema.. what is a decent wide, normal and zoom lens (3 diff ones) that are not going to break the bank (> $500) that would be good for shooting cinema with. I spent almost 500 on my 28mm, figured it would be good. I also have the cheap 50mm 1.8 and the stock canon lenses. I'd like a decent zoom and perhaps a 14mm or so wide that would be good for cinema shooting. (didn't mean to hijack the thread while we wait on a response from BM).

Also.. the BM camera will be able to record for hours (not that I plan to record that much with it) without heating up..unlike my T2i DSLR?

Ram Prakash

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 9:52 pm

Dear BMCC,

You know I love you. I wanted to have a beautiful and lasting relationship with you. But I don't like your dad's (BMD) attitude. I just sent you the divorce papers (cancelled my preorder). I will come back to you when your dad changes his attitude and treats me well.
Cheers!
Ram Prakash

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 10:07 pm

Pollenstudio wrote:I hope those flip flops taste nice peter because I can't see any way that I will be getting my one remaining order before January!

:lol:

"A lot" can happen in a month (December 2012), but I agree with you: Time is running out.

I hope I don't have to eat Marc's shoe and that "a bunch of us" receive our BMCCs by the end of 2012. I remain optimistic, if for no other reason other than the alternative is too painful to contemplate. :D

Another reason for my optimism are videos such as:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3091

Cheers.

Nikolay Smirnov

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 10:50 pm

I wonder if they just couldn't solve the "dirty sensor glass" problem, they would lose so freaking much of the market...
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

Kent Nichols

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 11:15 pm

I'm hearten just seeing a lot of random footage popping up from people who aren't on the forums. But it's dragging on forever!
askaninja.com

cmmora

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 11:38 pm

Oh, what could have been...

I am directing an American/Bollywood movie in San Francisco. My DP told me about the BMCC so many months ago that and I was pretty excited. Especially with its range and using Raw, we would have been able to grade some kick ass dance sequences that would rival what is actually coming out of Bollywood. He had ordered multiple units right when they were first announced and I was sure they would have been here in plenty of time for us to use.

Now the beginning of production is less than a week away and still no cameras. Unless a miracle happens by next Wednesday, when he flies in, it looks like we will not be able to use this camera for this project. A lost opportunity to showcase a new camera in a movie that we hope will get distributed in India.

leo

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 3:31 am

maybe we should all cancel our preorder just to give BMD sometime to think about.

Dave Dominguez

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 3:35 am

leo wrote:maybe we should all cancel our preorder just to give BMD sometime to think about.

i think a lot of people have already moved on.
https://vimeo.com/daviddominguez

wcapps1

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 4:25 am

sXXs wrote:Dear BMCC,

You know I love you. I wanted to have a beautiful and lasting relationship with you. But I don't like your dad's (BMD) attitude. I just sent you the divorce papers (cancelled my preorder). I will come back to you when your dad changes his attitude and treats me well.

These guys have about the worse PR/Communication department out there! What kind of PR director can't go to the boss and say you are ruining all of our reputations by not talking to the people who are sending us money!

Guys come on, communicate with your customers and tell them where they stand. Besides being the right thing to do, it might actually let you keep some customers who are trying to hang on. Right now, your lack of attention to the people who are actually standing behind you is causing everyone to loose faith in the company and product. Your communications staff should be worried about the reputations in the future. No one in the business community will want to be associated with people involved in this communications nightmare!
Wayne Capps
Reserve Productions
www.ReserveProductions.com

Nick Bedford

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 4:29 am

I must agree.

Extrememedia

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 4:55 am

Wheres an update? just got back from a vacation needed the camera for a shoot tomorrow that I signed back in april. I put the camera on pre order for this gig tomorrow. Now I have to go another route. Its rediculus that this is taking so long and I live just 5 minutes from the company in fremont. Im gonna have to just go there.

Red is dropping prices for those with proof of a pre-order just call. I will give BMD a couple more weeks as I have another shoot in the end of january.

Tony Hudson

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 5:10 am

Extrememedia wrote:
Red is dropping prices for those with proof of a pre-order just call. I will give BMD a couple more weeks as I have another shoot in the end of january.

they are?
https://vimeo.com/fxvet

Nick Bedford

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 5:11 am

Extrememedia wrote:Red is dropping prices for those with proof of a pre-order just call. I will give BMD a couple more weeks as I have another shoot in the end of january.

Where is this stated?

George Sickler

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 5:46 am

The RED website states that they are no longer taking orders. - I would jump on that too, I just pre-ordered - but the more I read, the more I think my deadline for my video shoot is gonna get here, and then I have no camera in my hands either. -

Extrememedia can you reveal your source of this statement?

Geo
George Sickler
Colorado Digital Video

Paul Morton

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 6:50 am

Hi all, I've lurked on this forum since excitedly placing my pre order in april and feel like contributing my own thoughts for a change.

I'm a film school student and my only industry credits have been as a camera assistant. In the film school I've noticed a sense of entitlement manifest in some when things don't go their way or beyond their control. In my industry work, I've only seen the opposite.

Instead, I see people who work tirelessly with the factors they can control to creatively and often ingeniously solve their problems. All with a certain quiet integrity.

I'm sure this is what BMD is doing.
I feel this is what we should be doing.

This outlook may seem silly or naive to others but it certainly makes the wait a calmer one for me.

As John Brawley notes, the fact they leave this thread up speaks volumes to their integrity as for their ability, its doesn't take much research to determine that BMD have long been highly regarded as innovative industry professionals for a reason.

Paul.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography