Camera Shipping Update: 11/15

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jason R. Johnston

Re: Camera Shipping Update: 11/15

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 8:33 am

Paul Morton wrote:Hi all, I've lurked on this forum since excitedly placing my pre order in april and feel like contributing my own thoughts for a change.

I'm a film school student and my only industry credits have been as a camera assistant. In the film school I've noticed a sense of entitlement manifest in some when things don't go their way or beyond their control. In my industry work, I've only seen the opposite.

Instead, I see people who work tirelessly with the factors they can control to creatively and often ingeniously solve their problems. All with a certain quiet integrity.

I'm sure this is what BMD is doing.
I feel this is what we should be doing.

This outlook may seem silly or naive to others but it certainly makes the wait a calmer one for me.

As John Brawley notes, the fact they leave this thread up speaks volumes to their integrity as for their ability, its doesn't take much research to determine that BMD have long been highly regarded as innovative industry professionals for a reason.

Paul.

+1
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

Peter Moretti

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 9:33 am

Perhaps someone should DNA test those batches of bad glass. You might find Jim and Jarred's urine in it. J/K :mrgreen:

Adrian Musto

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 10:03 am

Dave Dominguez wrote:
leo wrote:maybe we should all cancel our preorder just to give BMD sometime to think about.

i think a lot of people have already moved on.

Awesome, I'll get mine sooner then :)

Michael Sandiford

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 10:24 am

Paul Morton wrote:Hi all, I've lurked on this forum since excitedly placing my pre order in april and feel like contributing my own thoughts for a change.

I'm a film school student and my only industry credits have been as a camera assistant. In the film school I've noticed a sense of entitlement manifest in some when things don't go their way or beyond their control. In my industry work, I've only seen the opposite.

Instead, I see people who work tirelessly with the factors they can control to creatively and often ingeniously solve their problems. All with a certain quiet integrity.

This outlook may seem silly or naive to others but it certainly makes the wait a calmer one for me.

As John Brawley notes, the fact they leave this thread up speaks volumes to their integrity as for their ability, its doesn't take much research to determine that BMD have long been highly regarded as innovative industry professionals for a reason.

Paul.

Great first post.

cengizözgök

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 10:54 am

Peter Moretti wrote:Perhaps someone should DNA test those batches of bad glass. You might find Jim and Jarred's urine in it. J/K :mrgreen:

haha

Luke Armstrong

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 11:35 am

Paul.

Hi Paul, welcome.

They must have been some good shoots... I've known (famous) directors to throw tantrums after a difficult day's shooting. Features are very different to shorts. It's certainly stressful on the post-production side - we've got to kick out high quality shots in a compressed timescale and often it is 'competitively' bid. Everything is also worth a lot of money, so you can't muck it up. People are people, these guys aren't made in a factory - they're not all the same and sadly you can't expect everyone to be quite as professional as you'd expect. When it all goes swimmingly, we're all professionals ;)

If I were making a feature, I'd shoot on the Alexa. As you probably know, the problem is a lot of indie film makers (and some professionals who like to own their own kit) don't have that sort of money for smaller projects. Those people have bought into this camera hard, because it has the potential - its crazy good for what it is.

Now I don't see anyone here swearing or being unduly rude to Blackmagic - to be frank they deserve a little bit of a respectful earache to remind them that they're letting people down, that we're still here and to keep the pressure on them to deliver! We are, after all - their biggest fans, we've waited this long, I'm sure a lot of people will still be here waiting (impatiently) for as long as it takes.

As for a sense of entitlement, I'm not sure that describes what you're seeing from people here - they're not expecting something undeservedly, they have sold their kit, paid their money, waited for 6 months, and I dislike the notion that they should feel guilty for being impatient somehow - maybe you think I suffer from a sense of entitlement. Maybe I do, because I think I deserve better treatment from a company. I don't expect miracles, but I'd like to know what is going on - that is a reasonable expectation, just as you'd expect from an airline when your flight is cancelled.

Whilst I totally empathize with BMD, as a customer you can only worry about the situation from a customer's perspective...Unless BMD give us an insight..........
Luke Armstrong - Digital Compositor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4274789/

bhook

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 1:48 pm

Thank you Luke. +1

It's not a "sense" of entitlement...it's a bonafide entitlement.

bhook

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 3:22 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
Pollenstudio wrote:I hope those flip flops taste nice peter because I can't see any way that I will be getting my one remaining order before January!

:lol:

"A lot" can happen in a month (December 2012), but I agree with you: Time is running out.

I hope I don't have to eat Marc's shoe and that "a bunch of us" receive our BMCCs by the end of 2012. I remain optimistic, if for no other reason other than the alternative is too painful to contemplate. :D

What Peter committed to eating was "one" of my Crocs. I should remind him that this is one Croc:

and this is also one (much more palatable in single steak form) Croc:

They even come salted in Oz I am told. I like Peter way too much to have him poison himself on one of my filthy old Crocs. I'm content with him finding a gr8 Cajun restaurant somewhere in the NorthWest and chowing down on a nice Croc steak. I do expect pictures and a submissive look on his face.

:D

Eric Santiago

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 6:01 pm

Dave Dominguez wrote:
leo wrote:maybe we should all cancel our preorder just to give BMD sometime to think about.

i think a lot of people have already moved on.

Yes most of us have but we also know that with the current state, the ones that did jump can pick up where they left off in March :)

AJ.infinite

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 6:30 pm

Just a note: My Viewfactor Contineo BMCC cage is for sale, dropped price to 275.00 shipped for USA buyers.

marcs

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 10:01 pm

sad to say it, but ive just cancelled my preorder with adorama after speaking with my rep on phone. he said may is his best guess when id see my camera (last week was march/april) but now bmcc is having "real problems". i dont know what that means and my reseller couldnt say more.

whatever the case, i cant wait any longer. ive just now ordered two gh3 cameras which are expected to be delivered to my door dec 28th from amazon. as im just an indy filmmaker, the codecs in these cameras will have to suffice for my work (plus i like 60fps option) - vimeo hd uploads and blu ray festival submissions. not too worried about it...2 short films at last years cannes film festival were created with dslrs. remember, content is king. ive also come to believe raw video is only really necessary (assuming proper lighting and exposure is accomplished) when 2k plus projection is needed. and as the zacuto tests showed, even the hacked gh2s fooled the majority of the audience here (i.e. namely coppola).

see you all on the flipside. ill be back someday when the camera is ready and i have more disposable income.

cheers, marc

Ryan Best

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 10:30 pm

Why won't BLACKMAGIC DESIGN shed any light on this situation... You would rather people cancelled their orders, lose their place in-line with their respective resellers AFTER MONTHS OF WAITING than what... break some stupid company policy on letting YOUR customers know EXACTLY where they stand... DISGUSTING

Nick Bedford

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 10:44 pm

Agree once more.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

bhook

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 10:48 pm

Yea, me too I'm afraid. :(

Cameron Mckinlay

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 10:48 pm

Luke Armstrong wrote:

Paul.

Hi Paul, welcome.

They must have been some good shoots... I've known (famous) directors to throw tantrums after a difficult day's shooting. Features are very different to shorts. It's certainly stressful on the post-production side - we've got to kick out high quality shots in a compressed timescale and often it is 'competitively' bid. Everything is also worth a lot of money, so you can't muck it up. People are people, these guys aren't made in a factory - they're not all the same and sadly you can't expect everyone to be quite as professional as you'd expect. When it all goes swimmingly, we're all professionals ;)

If I were making a feature, I'd shoot on the Alexa. As you probably know, the problem is a lot of indie film makers (and some professionals who like to own their own kit) don't have that sort of money for smaller projects. Those people have bought into this camera hard, because it has the potential - its crazy good for what it is.

Now I don't see anyone here swearing or being unduly rude to Blackmagic - to be frank they deserve a little bit of a respectful earache to remind them that they're letting people down, that we're still here and to keep the pressure on them to deliver! We are, after all - their biggest fans, we've waited this long, I'm sure a lot of people will still be here waiting (impatiently) for as long as it takes.

As for a sense of entitlement, I'm not sure that describes what you're seeing from people here - they're not expecting something undeservedly, they have sold their kit, paid their money, waited for 6 months, and I dislike the notion that they should feel guilty for being impatient somehow - maybe you think I suffer from a sense of entitlement. Maybe I do, because I think I deserve better treatment from a company. I don't expect miracles, but I'd like to know what is going on - that is a reasonable expectation, just as you'd expect from an airline when your flight is cancelled.

Whilst I totally empathize with BMD, as a customer you can only worry about the situation from a customer's perspective...Unless BMD give us an insight..........

+1
Very well said Luke. You hit the nail on the head with that one. We all understand there are delays and complications during the manufacturing of a new innovative product like this. But the lies and complete lack of communication to the people with money invested in this company and their products is utterly disgusting. Can you imagine any other company pulling a stunt like this. What if Apple came out with a new iPhone with crazy new features no other handset had, took customers deposits and took 6+ months to deliver and didn't tell anyone anything about anything! It would be riots in the streets. Literally. So why are there people who think its ok for BMD to do the same. Because they are a smaller company? Not an excuse. Because they have an amazing new camera at an amazingly low price point? Not an excuse.
Christine as a Public Relations Director should be embarrassed to work for such a company who really doesn't care about its PR or image. She should really be the one hounding the Aussies to get some information out because clearly, us as clients, are not happy.
And a further note to JB's statement mentioned earlier about their integrity as a company to leave this forum open. Thats a bit of a joke. BMD is not urgently concerning itself with the goings on in this forum. If they were, they would be answering questions, giving us info or answering the golden question we have all been asking, when at full production capacity, how many cameras can you manufacture per week....per month etc.
Cameron Mckinlay

Abobakr M. Alshiblie

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 10:50 pm

marcs wrote: ...but now bmcc is having "real problems"...

Now I see why the silence reigned over the atmosphere!! I don't know what to do. All I could say is, I am really tired.

Nick Bedford

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 11:03 pm

The problem we face with the Blackmagic Cinema Camera dying in terms of any sort of mass production / back order filling is that there is NO alternative beyond spending a lot more money or sacrificing the image acquisition format to some lowly 4:2:0 8-bit image which we can't grade properly.

bhook

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 11:08 pm

Yes, that is truly sad Nick. But at some point you gotta cinch up your BVDs and do what you gotta do...

There really is no joy in compromise here. :(

AJ.infinite

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 11:18 pm

What happens when the camera has an issue, and needs repair??? ( another 6 month wait) You gotta have TRUST with whomever you spend your money with, and BMD is struggling in that area I'd say. An authorized dealer told me BMD is insanely late with every product they release, and he chuckled, and said "definitely not" when I asked about their ability to deliver preorders before spring 2013.

paulkosmala

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 11:23 pm

next camera up for the price point is the Sony f3.

If there is no communication that's where I might have to move my business to...
That or a used loaded red scarlet package for about 9-11k...
between a sony f3 and a used scarlet, and waiting an undetermined time for the BMCC...
used scarlet wins out.

If there were communication, and an understanding of when the BMCC would be available... that would effect my decision. but as it stands, 2 weeks before I place my order for a camera other than BMCC.

AJ.infinite

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 11:25 pm

Nick, you create very nice images. You seem to be the type of guy that strives for perfection, I doubt any specific camera is going to stop you from creating nice pieces of work. The BMC is imprisoning us

bhook

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 11:30 pm

AJ.infinite wrote:The BMC is imprisoning us

I tried to tell Nick the same thing. His talent transcends his camera. He should never forget that fact.

Tom Sefton

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 11:50 pm

Paul.

Great post Paul - I can see your logic.

However, this is business. Blackmagic promised a product in July, then in August, then in September. After the promised delivery dates stopped coming we have had to rely on sporadic updates for news as to when the camera might ship.

Many people using this forum sold their "A" camera to pay for the Blackmagic, and now are having to pay on each shoot they are booked, for the hire of another camera. Say you sold a camera in April, paid immediately and were relying on a potential delivery date of July (which was listed on the Blackmagic website, not just the supplier), if you only had one 2 shoots a month for each month you didn't have your "A" camera, you would now have been out of pocket by around £1200-£1400, not including the money you have already spent on a camera that isn't sitting in your hands. To the majority of producers who are interested in purchasing this camera, this is a lot of money. We ordered one camera in early May, and have waited patiently (albeit pessimistically) since then. I haven't been personal with anyone on the forum, or felt entitled to anything except the camera I paid for 6 months ago which was supposed to drastically improve the offerings of our business. I know how hard Blackmagic are working, and I can imagine that this is a complete nightmare for them. I understand that they want this camera to be released more than anything. I think Blackmagic are a great, forward thinking firm, but I don't think they are acting very fairly with some of their clients. Although many people would think it was a disaster, if Grant came online and told us that there had been a disaster and we wouldn't see deliveries of any quantity until Q2 2013, I would respect that immensely and might still wait. I just don't want to be treated like my order doesn't matter to them if it is cancelled or not.
Tom Sefton
Owner
Pollen Studio
www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Nick Bedford

PostSun Dec 02, 2012 12:09 am

mhood wrote:
AJ.infinite wrote:The BMC is imprisoning us

I tried to tell Nick the same thing. His talent transcends his camera. He should never forget that fact.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate it.

DSLRs in raw really do get out of the way and let you shoot and grade with a lot of accuracy for a professional result and it's just disappointing to have this amazing raw/log ProRes camera paid off yet have no idea if Blackmagic will ever deliver it... to anyone.

Nick Bedford

PostSun Dec 02, 2012 12:22 am

AJ.infinite wrote:Nick, you create very nice images. You seem to be the type of guy that strives for perfection, I doubt any specific camera is going to stop you from creating nice pieces of work. The BMC is imprisoning us

Thanks AJ. I do strive for everything to be at the same level of quality. When I want to shoot something, I want it to be cinematic for every reason, not just because of a camera being cinematic. Lighting, set, composition, editing, colour grading and image quality. I study as much as I can without having done any photography or film school but I'm getting there.

Give me a camera and I'll make a picture with it :) It's just when you want to produce a standard of quality that you need certain gear. I wouldn't rock up to a professional photo shoot with a point and shoot that has infinite depth of field and has a muddy, noisy image at ISO 80, in other words :)

Christian Schmeer

PostSun Dec 02, 2012 12:29 am

marcs wrote:...but now bmcc is having "real problems". i dont know what that means and my reseller couldnt say more.

Oh my, what happened this time :? I hope the reseller rep was just misinformed. Please BMD, get your act together. There's only one way to combat the increasing frustration, anger, false rumours, and cancellations: real, honest information :!:
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Charles Appleboot

PostSun Dec 02, 2012 1:07 am

Hello everyone.
I've seen a lot of people on this thread complaining about not having the camera before the end of the year. That, however, is not an issue for me. I can wait a little.
But, well; A "little" doesn't mean "forever.
I haven't placed the order for the camera yet, waiting for Grant to update about how the tests with the sensors are doing.
Now, do you guys think that I might be able to get the camera (I live in Colombia), ordering it from the US, by March 2013 if I order the MFT model by, let's say, the end of next week?
Last edited by Charles Appleboot on Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marcs

PostSun Dec 02, 2012 1:31 am

@ nick

i mostly agree with you...but, if the output of your work is web video or photo, magazine print (up to 11x14 in) or anything OTHER than 2-4k plus hd digital projection via a top quality cinema projector, a decent point and shoot could, in fact, deliver a very acceptable final product. im not saying in all cases this works or that it is preferable. but i think it is perfectly accurate to say a hacked gh2 (particularly v9b 176 mbps) can withstand post workflow and result with an image that industry cinema experts cannot differentiate from Red or Arri. of course, lighting would have to be carefully considered and executed as we saw in the zacuto program.

id like a bmdcc just as much as the next guy. unfortunately, ive simply lost trust in bmdcc. if they cant do something as reasonable and effortless as providing "investors" with weekly updates (especially after this promise has been made over and over again), then WHY on earth would i trust that they have the ability or interest to provide timely firmware updates or product maintenance (or replacement under warrantee if my cam has problems, for which there is high probability for any first iteration or model of camera)??

it just doesnt follow.

marcs

PostSun Dec 02, 2012 1:58 am

btw, ill continue buying bmds s/w products...i meant ill wait for bmdcc v2 and improved customer relations on the hardware front b4 i invest.

Nick Bedford

PostSun Dec 02, 2012 2:14 am

marcs wrote:@ nick

i mostly agree with you...but, if the output of your work is web video or photo, magazine print (up to 11x14 in) or anything OTHER than 2-4k plus hd digital projection via a top quality cinema projector, a decent point and shoot could, in fact, deliver a very acceptable final product. im not saying in all cases this works or that it is preferable. but i think it is perfectly accurate to say a hacked gh2 (particularly v9b 176 mbps) can withstand post workflow and result with an image that industry cinema experts cannot differentiate from Red or Arri. of course, lighting would have to be carefully considered and executed as we saw in the zacuto program.

id like a bmdcc just as much as the next guy. unfortunately, ive simply lost trust in bmdcc. if they cant do something as reasonable and effortless as providing "investors" with weekly updates (especially after this promise has been made over and over again), then WHY on earth would i trust that they have the ability or interest to provide timely firmware updates or product maintenance (or replacement under warrantee if my cam has problems, for which there is high probability for any first iteration or model of camera)??

it just doesnt follow.

Granted, I only have a 5D which is far less forgiving than a GH2/3 in terms of codec. I'm impressed by the GH2/3's video actually. Canon cripple the image from an otherwise stunning FF DSLR :( I can barely pull 720p's worth of detail out of the 5DIII and it shows in my music video. It's just... soft and video-y.

My main point about gear is that it shouldn't limit you. There are pictures I can take on my DSLR which I cannot take on a point and shoot, entirely due to physics and the mechanics and facilities of the DSLR. Simple as that.

If I have to spend twice as much time and money on lighting a scene because I'm dealing with 8 stops instead of 13, then pushing the notion that "you don't need great gear" becomes silly.

marcs

PostSun Dec 02, 2012 3:07 am

agreed.

but i will say that in actuality, at least in my experience, there isnt that much of a discernible difference between 9 and 13 stops of DR. again, the zacuto testers - even ff coppola - couldnt discern red epic footage from gh2 hacked on a $30k projector.

one can inexpensively light a scene with 3-5 clip lamps with 125 watt bulbs and get great results. so i think this notion of "great gear" is highly exaggerated. and even 5d footage can look great on a 80 inch lcd display.

PaulDelVecchio

PostSun Dec 02, 2012 3:38 am

marcs wrote:agreed.

but i will say that in actuality, at least in my experience, there isnt that much of a discernible difference between 9 and 13 stops of DR. again, the zacuto testers - even ff coppola - couldnt discern red epic footage from gh2 hacked on a $30k projector.

one can inexpensively light a scene with 3-5 clip lamps with 125 watt bulbs and get great results. so i think this notion of "great gear" is highly exaggerated. and even 5d footage can look great on a 80 inch lcd display.

No it definitely is noticeable, especially in high contrast situations (dramatic lighting, outdoors, etc.) Plus if you have any edge lights, or hot spots, they dont blow out as much. If you have a subject against a window, it might not turn to a white mess quite as quickly. Of course you could gel windows, etc. But that might not be so practical and while outside might overexpose a bit, film obviously has a nicer rolloff so with the extra DR you can dial it to a softer and arguably better looking amount of overexposure. There are more options and while its def subjective and u can control it on set, sometimes you just dont have the tools on set to do so and in post, it can be a more controlled effect where u might be able to spend more time tweaking it just right.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Joe Gonzalez

PostSun Dec 02, 2012 3:58 am

I find it odd as a fellow filmmaker to hear so many complaints not just about the wait, but that this camera specifically was on a personal wait list set aside to shoot a feature, or short or commercial with a great "director" in the waits. Lots of expression toward the wait for RAW specifically in this camera, is confusing to me. I get the price and the hype, but cmon guys. If you're any sort of professional at all, and wanted to shoot in RAW format, trust me you could, you would and your done. The impression i get from some NOT ALL but some from this forum is the illusion that this camera will get you noticed for your work, or somehow this camera will magically put you on the next level. Sorry to burst the bubble but it won't, if your work hasn't been noticed before is surely won't with this camera. I also have been waiting for this camera, not to just shoot RAW, but for a bunch of other factors. Having a B camera, ProRes, weight, ect. More based on a consumer level, not prosumer. If your serious about shooting in RAW i hope you've shot your projects already by renting a RED or Sony or anything to further your work. Please tell me you haven't put all your eggs in one basket. Im still waiting patiently for the BMC, but I'm renting RAW at super35mm if i need it, and i hope all you guys are too.
Joe Gonzalez - Filmmaker/Photographer/Editor
www.thenewcinematographers.com

storiestold

PostSun Dec 02, 2012 4:11 am

"I find it odd as a fellow filmmaker to hear so many complaints not just about the wait, but that this camera specifically was on a personal wait list set aside to shoot a feature, or short or commercial with a great "director" in the waits. Lots of expression toward the wait for RAW specifically in this camera, is confusing to me. I get the price and the hype, but cmon guys. If you're any sort of professional at all, and wanted to shoot in RAW format, trust me you could, you would and your done. The impression i get from some NOT ALL but some from this forum is the illusion that this camera will get you noticed for your work, or somehow this camera will magically put you on the next level. Sorry to burst the bubble but it won't, if your work hasn't been noticed before is surely won't with this camera. I also have been waiting for this camera, not to just shoot RAW, but for a bunch of other factors. Having a B camera, ProRes, weight, ect. More based on a consumer level, not prosumer. If your serious about shooting in RAW i hope you've shot your projects already by renting a RED or Sony or anything to further your work. Please tell me you haven't put all your eggs in one basket. Im still waiting patiently for the BMC, but I'm renting RAW at super35mm if i need it, and i hope all you guys are too."

Agreed. No camera is a silver bullet. Don't fool yourselves. Educate yourself, the best tool is in your head not on your tripod.

Christian Schmeer

PostSun Dec 02, 2012 11:39 am

Joe_g wrote:I find it odd as a fellow filmmaker to hear so many complaints not just about the wait, but that this camera specifically was on a personal wait list set aside to shoot a feature, or short or commercial with a great "director" in the waits. Lots of expression toward the wait for RAW specifically in this camera, is confusing to me. I get the price and the hype, but cmon guys. If you're any sort of professional at all, and wanted to shoot in RAW format, trust me you could, you would and your done. The impression i get from some NOT ALL but some from this forum is the illusion that this camera will get you noticed for your work, or somehow this camera will magically put you on the next level. Sorry to burst the bubble but it won't, if your work hasn't been noticed before is surely won't with this camera. I also have been waiting for this camera, not to just shoot RAW, but for a bunch of other factors. Having a B camera, ProRes, weight, ect. More based on a consumer level, not prosumer. If your serious about shooting in RAW i hope you've shot your projects already by renting a RED or Sony or anything to further your work. Please tell me you haven't put all your eggs in one basket. Im still waiting patiently for the BMC, but I'm renting RAW at super35mm if i need it, and i hope all you guys are too.

For my project a RED would be total overkill. I need something lightweight and simple. I wouldn't mind renting a BMCC if I don't get mine in time, but then again.. where am I going to find a rental company who has one :lol:
www.christianschmeer.com

Nikolay Smirnov

PostSun Dec 02, 2012 2:03 pm

It's not really about getting the camera in time now, it's about Grant Petty says that "we will test new clean sensors next week and update you guys about the results."

2 weeks have passed and there was no update what so ever, which means the results are negative and production had stopped once again.

The problem is really about a company which can't built something they designed to built in the first place at NAB 2012.

It's getting sad.
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

RBiCreative

PostSun Dec 02, 2012 4:25 pm

Okay its December 2. Another update was promised a week ago.
News on ship dates please!
Thanks
RB

bhook

PostSun Dec 02, 2012 4:32 pm

It is sadly ironic that I sign up for email update notification and the updates stop. :?

Christian Schmeer

PostSun Dec 02, 2012 4:45 pm

RBiCreative wrote:Okay its December 2. Another update was promised a week ago.
News on ship dates please!
Thanks
RB

A week ago? More like 17 days ago :roll:
www.christianschmeer.com

Jarrett Craig

PostSun Dec 02, 2012 7:59 pm

storiestold wrote:"I find it odd as a fellow filmmaker to hear so many complaints not just about the wait, but that this camera specifically was on a personal wait list set aside to shoot a feature, or short or commercial with a great "director" in the waits. Lots of expression toward the wait for RAW specifically in this camera, is confusing to me. I get the price and the hype, but cmon guys. If you're any sort of professional at all, and wanted to shoot in RAW format, trust me you could, you would and your done. The impression i get from some NOT ALL but some from this forum is the illusion that this camera will get you noticed for your work, or somehow this camera will magically put you on the next level. Sorry to burst the bubble but it won't, if your work hasn't been noticed before is surely won't with this camera. I also have been waiting for this camera, not to just shoot RAW, but for a bunch of other factors. Having a B camera, ProRes, weight, ect. More based on a consumer level, not prosumer. If your serious about shooting in RAW i hope you've shot your projects already by renting a RED or Sony or anything to further your work. Please tell me you haven't put all your eggs in one basket. Im still waiting patiently for the BMC, but I'm renting RAW at super35mm if i need it, and i hope all you guys are too."

Agreed. No camera is a silver bullet. Don't fool yourselves. Educate yourself, the best tool is in your head not on your tripod.

Also agree, rent something else in the meantime. Why is owning a prerequisite to shooting? Don't hold up a shoot waiting for this thing. You can rent a Scarlet for $500/day, or an FS700 for $300/day with lenses. Far less than buying something else. Just shoot, shoot, shoot, and when your BMC shows up at the door, barring you don't have tons of money tied up in it, it will be a great new tool at your disposal. I spent my time in the "freebie" market to build skills and credits but the camera rental never came out of my pocket. If a producer isn't willing to pony up for even the most basic of items to shoot a project (camera for example) then they aren't comfortable with the "cost of doing business". Of couse this is just my opinion so don't jump all over me, it's not specific to any poster in particular.

Bill Rich

PostSun Dec 02, 2012 8:27 pm

Speaking for myself here..

All of my projects have been self-financed.. and according to the rates you listed for a RED Scarlet.. You can buy a BMCC or rent a Scarlet for 6 days.. or an FS700 for 10 days

For those of us that finance our own films.. buying makes better financial sense (at least to me) That's why I've been working with my DSLR and Canon XF100.. Were they my first choice to film my recent feature length doc? heck no.. but it's what I could afford..

It is of course a very different story when you're working on a film with a budget that has a camera package built-in.. That's not what I do (at least for now).. I have a day job where I shoot and edit news features full time.. so I produce my independent films in my spare time and financed out of my own pocket.. the good thing about that is I shoot what I want and on my own schedule.. :)
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

thejasonbee

PostSun Dec 02, 2012 8:32 pm

Man I wish I had the money some of you guys seem to have.

Nick Smith

PostSun Dec 02, 2012 8:39 pm

thejasonbee wrote:Man I wish I had the money some of you guys seem to have.

+ 1 million.

I can only just afford a BMCC to begin with. I'm in no position to be renting cameras on top of that money.

Cuboirs

PostSun Dec 02, 2012 8:41 pm

Did mr petty give up on the updates?????

Alex Tissot

PostSun Dec 02, 2012 8:47 pm

So what's NEW???
11/15...
Still waiting for my BMCC N°5@Marcotec in Europe...

I pre-ordered in april 2012 !!!
What a shame :-(
We're 12/02...
https://vimeo.com/user5198817

Jarrett Craig

PostSun Dec 02, 2012 8:52 pm

thejasonbee wrote:Man I wish I had the money some of you guys seem to have.

I don't have any money, in fact I am currently out $2999 because I paid in full up front for my BMC. As for the rental thread, those are day rates I quoted. For a weekly they usually charge a 1.1 or a 1.9 day work week. Not the day rate x 5 days. There are way cheaper options out there, those were the only 2 that I had accurate numbers for since I rented an FS700 for a music video recently.

Tom

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 1:31 am

I think its time for a hunger strike.
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

Nick Bedford

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 1:45 am

If I didn't own my 5D Mark III, lenses and lighting gear, I'd have to hire it every time I wanted to be creative with the intent of producing a picture for my portfolio. I can't see that as a desirable and cost effective way to be creative and to work on my skills.

The Blackmagic is extremely cost effective to own. If it wasn't for all these delays, we'd probably be proving the fact by now.

I'm fully aware that a camera alone does not make a project work on its own. I shot my music video on "crummy DSLRs" yet people are coming to me to ask about shooting small projects already. I put a lot of time into learning editing and directing in the time it took to finish it. The limited codec wasn't my favourite cup of tea, but I put my best effort into the other aspects of it.

Jason R. Johnston

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 2:06 am

Nick Bedford wrote:The limited codec wasn't my favourite cup of tea, but I put my best effort into the other aspects of it.

Right. You've gotta work with what you have. Until I have my BMCC, I'll have to live with my DSLR and comparable camera rentals. I'll have an Epic by the end of 2013 (preferrably with Dragon if it releases on time), but I still want a BMDCC or two so I can retire the DSLR's for video shooting.
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

Nick Bedford

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 2:15 am

Jason R. Johnston wrote:
Nick Bedford wrote:The limited codec wasn't my favourite cup of tea, but I put my best effort into the other aspects of it.

Right. You've gotta work with what you have. Until I have my BMCC, I'll have to live with my DSLR and comparable camera rentals. I'll have an Epic by the end of 2013 (preferrably with Dragon if it releases on time), but I still want a BMDCC or two so I can retire the DSLR's for video shooting.

Exactly. It just doesn't mean I don't want to step up the quality levels with each project.

There's so many things beyond the camera that I've already been learning to improve and taking care to think of since the first project.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography