Denoising diminishes braw and prores detail

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

jack0429

Re: Braw is soft and ridden with denoising artifacts

PostSat May 02, 2020 8:30 am

John Griffin wrote:A 1:1 sampling 8.8mp /4K sensor with no OLPF is by definition going to display all sorts of artefacts and cropping to 2mp / HD is not going to improve things. If you want clean 4K output you will need a higher resolution sensor to restrict moire to only the very finest detail and if you want clean HD you will need an OLPF to deal with it at source.
Nothing wrong with BRAW (apart from the fact that it’s not actually RAW and is more like ProRes 12 bit 444) and the best of luck in 2020 using a <9mp sensor to capture 4K and 2mp sensor to capture HD.....
As I said, I think there should be an user selectable denoising/sharpening level inside the camera, for those of us who don't mind a bit more aliasing for extra resolution, and for those who wants to smooth it in camera in sacrifice of some resolution. And honestly as someone who shot with an canon 60d for a fairly long time, I think the hd crop from cdng is pretty dang clean. So that's why I'm advocating for choices for the user.

WahWay

PostSat May 02, 2020 8:43 am

Is it possibel for Blackmagic to give us BRAW 1:1 without the compression?

jack0429

PostSat May 02, 2020 8:47 am

WahWay wrote:Is it possibel for Blackmagic to give us BRAW 1:1 without the compression?
Wouldn't that literally just be raw though? Braw and redcode raw all seems to be compressed codecs, so if there was an uncompressed raw option I'm pretty sure that would be called a different name.

John Griffin

PostSat May 02, 2020 9:14 am

User selectable options may not be possible as the ‘issues’ you are seeing are highly likely a consequence of the in-camera processing and data compression in the BRAW process. You are not going to get a true ‘ RAW’ i.e the warts and all sensor data until RED’s patent is successfully challenged. The issue would also go away if BM’s P4k mk2 has a >12mp sensor and in-camera sub sampling in BRAW.

Uli Plank

PostSat May 02, 2020 9:21 am

WahWay wrote:Is it possible for Blackmagic to give us BRAW 1:1 without the compression?

How much would you want to pay for media and your editing hardware?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.7, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
Sonoma 14.5 with 19b3 (sandbox)
SE, UltraStudio Monitor G3

jack0429

PostSat May 02, 2020 9:26 am

John Griffin wrote:User selectable options may not be possible as the ‘issues’ you are seeing are highly likely a consequence of the in-camera processing and data compression in the BRAW process. You are not going to get a true ‘ RAW’ i.e the warts and all sensor data until RED’s patent is successfully challenged. The issue would also go away if BM’s P4k mk2 has a >12mp sensor and in-camera sub sampling in BRAW.
Zraw also does in partial camera demosiac just like braw with a 1:1 8mp pixel readout, however without the noise reduction and resharpening, so I think it's possible. Especially because it seems like it's always the low contrasting textures such as far away texts and faces where braw lacks it's detail, which is exactly what a noise reduction algorithm tends to smooth over. But if this is not the case, then I just hope blackmagic does whatever they need to do to increase the resolution of braw.

WahWay

PostSat May 02, 2020 9:43 am

jack0429 wrote:
WahWay wrote:Is it possibel for Blackmagic to give us BRAW 1:1 without the compression?
Wouldn't that literally just be raw though? Braw and redcode raw all seems to be compressed codecs, so if there was an uncompressed raw option I'm pretty sure that would be called a different name.

Yes. My UM4.6k has uncompress cDNG RAW option.

WahWay

PostSat May 02, 2020 9:46 am

Uli Plank wrote:
WahWay wrote:Is it possible for Blackmagic to give us BRAW 1:1 without the compression?

How much would you want to pay for media and your editing hardware?

I've already paid for cDNG uncompressed with UM4.6k.

Ulysses Paiva

PostSat May 02, 2020 1:56 pm

I doubt any audience will notice, or even care, the difference between these recording formats.
It only works for pixel peepers on side by side static pictures.
Same thing with people comparing 2 cameras and only being able to tell them apart if you shoot 5+ stops under or above, wich will never occur on a serious shoot.
I understand the practicality of reframing from 4K to an FHD delivery. But thats not the right way to do it just to start with it. Its a small sensor with more pixels/ more photosites in it, meaning smaller photosites. You cant expect them to perform like bigger photosites. When croping you are using a smaller portion of the sensor that uses smaller photosites.
Ulysses Paiva

AbdoulUK

PostSat May 02, 2020 2:09 pm

I'm not really a fan of 'an audience would never tell the difference'. Although this is true, if they're vested into a story, they probably wouldn't spot the difference between an Arri Mini and a canon 5D markxxx either, but that doesn't stop us as creators trying to obtain the best looking image we can because it's something 'we' care about, and as practitioners, we're allowed to care and be passionate about an image even if an audience isn't, this is our craft, our playground after all. I think it's fine for us to strive to get the best image possible or at least understand what options we have to obtain the best quality image from cameras we spend our hard earned money on.

Personally, BRAW is fantastic, but coming from an original BMCC, it's noticeably softer than CDNG. Prores is sharper and often my go to when producing narrative work for TV now when using UMPG2.

Ulysses Paiva

PostSat May 02, 2020 2:13 pm

And, sure. But to what point? Sometimes we are discussing the sex of angels.
Ulysses Paiva

John Paines

PostSat May 02, 2020 2:15 pm

It's to be expected the cinematographer will be more invested in image quality than the general public, but fine detail -- do we really need to see power lines in all their glory, to cite the examples posted above? -- has got to be the absolute least important element in any dramatic production.

So many more compelling deficiencies to worry about....

jack0429

PostSat May 02, 2020 2:22 pm

Ulysses Paiva wrote:I doubt any audience will notice, or even care, the difference between these recording formats.
It only works for pixel peepers on side by side static pictures.
Same thing with people comparing 2 cameras and only being able to tell them apart if you shoot 5+ stops under or above, wich will never occur on a serious shoot.
I understand the practicality of reframing from 4K to an FHD delivery. But thats not the right way to do it just to start with it. Its a small sensor with more pixels/ more photosites in it, meaning smaller photosites. You cant expect them to perform like bigger photosites. When croping you are using a smaller portion of the sensor that uses smaller photosites.
The cdng was able to do a true 2x crop while maintaining 1080p, so that means the senor is capable of doing it, and for my type of work we NEED the ability to get second angles from a camera. And not being able to at least crop in a tiny 1.3x is very disappointing for a camera with 4k in it's name. And why is more options bad? with the user selectable levels, you can choose the standard denoising and sharpening level if you want, and people like us who needs resolution have the ability to disable them. If you are talking about narrative works and short film, you have the time to properly set up every shot. But in my field of work it's literally impossible to bring a second camera around sometimes, thus a camera with decent resolution is crucial for us.

jack0429

PostSat May 02, 2020 2:28 pm

John Paines wrote:It's to be expected the cinematographer will be more invested in image quality than the general public, but fine detail -- do we really need to see power lines in all their glory, to cite the examples posted above? -- has got to be the absolute least important element in any dramatic production.

So many more compelling deficiencies to worry about....
I don't work in narrative, and my line of work often needs to be a bit low profile, so we often can't afford to bring a second camera around. And not being able to crop in at least 1.3x while maintaining 1080p is just disappointing for a 4k camera. With narrative and cinematic productions, we have the time to frame a shot exactly how you would want it, and you can have second angles from different cameras. And unfortunately, we just CAN'T. That's why we bought the bmpcc4k in the first place, and to see such a disappointing resolution output is frustrating for us, that's why I'm simply advocating for user selectable denoising/sharpening levels.

John Paines

PostSat May 02, 2020 2:31 pm

Your using the wrong camera. It's as simple as that. The purported "cinema" qualities of the BMD line don't make resolution and perceived sharpness priorities. OTOH, I'm surprised you find 1.3 crop unacceptable. I'm usually going the other way -- Promist filters, to reduce detail.

jack0429

PostSat May 02, 2020 2:41 pm

John Paines wrote:Your using the wrong camera. It's as simple as that. The purported "cinema" qualities of the BMD line don't make resolution and perceived sharpness priorities. OTOH, I'm surprised you find 1.3 crop unacceptable. I'm usually going the other way -- Promist filters, to reduce detail.
Because the image out of the bmpcc4k is so beautiful, that's why. You literally can overexpose by 4 stops, and your image will still be fine, and you can mess up the white balance by 10000 kelvins, and it's all recoverable, the colorscience is so good, to the point we literally don't need to do anything other than slapping on a lut for our hectic schedules. And coming from eng style cameras, the size is also a huge bonus for us. So resolution is really the only area that's bugging us out about this camera. And hey, all the major early reviews that we saw demonstrated excellent resolution with cdng, so this is why we bought the camera. And I just want OPTIONS for the users, you can choose whatever you want, and I can choose whatever I want, wouldn't that be nice?

Robert Niessner

PostSat May 02, 2020 3:53 pm

John Morris wrote:This cropped up again on the JSFILMZ youtube channel:

The lack of detail on the face using BRAW is especially noticeable in the flat lighting outdoor scene compared to ARRI Alexa Classic.
So is the Arri giving "false detail"?
Seem to me it would be easy to test the false detail argument by recording a longer focal length version of each suspect portion of a scene (using a lens, not just pixel peeping) to see if the details are false or not.

I am not sure if there is an user error. When I downloaded the given link to the Arri and PCC4k samples (he supplied only the indoor shots) - I found that the shot on the PCC4k was much wider than the on the Arri and he matched them by cropping into the PCC4k footage by about 133%.

And the Youtube version with that strange grading looks way less sharp than the BRAW sample in Resolve.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Dune00z

PostSat May 02, 2020 6:01 pm

Responding to comparing the Arri and pocket camera...

In any YouTube test you have no idea how they did the test to begin with or what errors were made so any results have to be taken with bags of salt. I am familiar with this particular individual's tests and nothing personal against the guy but I do not trust his methods at all in his testing and how things are presented. Generally when I've pulled the raw files into post they do not appear to show the same results he shows on YouTube.

Also, resolution and how many mega pixels you've got on the sensor are not always directly related. Some cameras with less mp provide sharper final images compared to higher mp images for a number of reasons, usually the design of the sensor, codec, how it was shot, and how it was processed all affect the end result.

Dune00z

PostSat May 02, 2020 6:02 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:
John Morris wrote:This cropped up again on the JSFILMZ youtube channel:

The lack of detail on the face using BRAW is especially noticeable in the flat lighting outdoor scene compared to ARRI Alexa Classic.
So is the Arri giving "false detail"?
Seem to me it would be easy to test the false detail argument by recording a longer focal length version of each suspect portion of a scene (using a lens, not just pixel peeping) to see if the details are false or not.

I am not sure if there is an user error. When I downloaded the given link to the Arri and PCC4k samples (he supplied only the indoor shots) - I found that the shot on the PCC4k was much wider than the on the Arri and he matched them by cropping into the PCC4k footage by about 133%.

And the Youtube version with that strange grading looks way less sharp than the BRAW sample in Resolve.

Par for the course really.

John Griffin

PostSat May 02, 2020 6:13 pm

jack0429 wrote:
John Paines wrote:Your using the wrong camera. It's as simple as that. The purported "cinema" qualities of the BMD line don't make resolution and perceived sharpness priorities. OTOH, I'm surprised you find 1.3 crop unacceptable. I'm usually going the other way -- Promist filters, to reduce detail.
Because the image out of the bmpcc4k is so beautiful, that's why. You literally can overexpose by 4 stops, and your image will still be fine, and you can mess up the white balance by 10000 kelvins, and it's all recoverable, the colorscience is so good, to the point we literally don't need to do anything other than slapping on a lut for our hectic schedules. And coming from eng style cameras, the size is also a huge bonus for us. So resolution is really the only area that's bugging us out about this camera. And hey, all the major early reviews that we saw demonstrated excellent resolution with cdng, so this is why we bought the camera. And I just want OPTIONS for the users, you can choose whatever you want, and I can choose whatever I want, wouldn't that be nice?

You can’t overexposed 4 stops beyond clipping and recover it and if you mess up WB that bad you will likely clip. The resolution differences between BRAW and CDNG are at best insignificant ( and yes I have tested it) and certainly not in the same league as a larger resolution sensor downsampling to 4K or HD vs the P4k ( like my S1). If lack of resolution is a real issue then I’d say the 8mp sensor is really your problem and not the codec.

John Brawley

PostSat May 02, 2020 6:30 pm

lee4ever wrote:
... CDNG is mostly artifacts AKA false detail...

Sorry, but that's not true. Read here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51936
And then look at the solution: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51936&start=500#p441271

So what CDNG and false details are spread is not true. It can simply be corrected afterwards, without loss of sharpness.

This issue isn't cDNG related per se. There are other artefacts of using cDNG, which are really a function of no OLPF (False detail is recorded)

In the compressed versions of cDNG there are also issues around very fine details (like leaves and branches in wide shots against a plain sky).

Like the images in the first image here in this thread. These are cDNG compression artifacts. Can't be fixed later.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69405

These issues can't be "corrected" later at all.
as per Hook's response
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69405#p388140

"Yes I've seen these before as a result of 4:1 compression - but only on a fairly complex scene and then changing exposure in post and applying strong processing. In fact I was explicitly trying to find artefacts for development reasons, but otherwise in typical shooting and pushing the image as far as I normally would in post it hasn't been an issue for me at all."

That's to say for all those that think cDNG is somehow better, more perfect and more pure. It's got lot's of similar issues around compression

I think if we're choosing artefacts most prefer the less artifacts, slightly softer image that can be sharpened in post over an image that has embedded FC detail that can't be removed.

And BRAW sure is a hell of a lot more consistent and nicer in terms of workflow.

But not everyone feels the same :-)

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

lee4ever

PostSat May 02, 2020 8:56 pm

John Brawley wrote:Like the images in the first image here in this thread. These are cDNG compression artifacts. Can't be fixed later.

I have never had this with BMMCC and also BMPCC. Seems to be only Ursa Mini (Pro) and 4:1 compression problem?
OLPF is recommended anyway.

John Brawley

PostSat May 02, 2020 9:14 pm

lee4ever wrote:I have never had this with BMMCC and also BMPCC. Seems to be only Ursa Mini (Pro) and 4:1 compression problem?
OLPF is recommended anyway.

They are there. You just have to know what to look for.

These are not caused by a lack of OLPF. That’s something else again (false colour moire)

I pointed to this only as an example for those that think DNG was perfect and pure. It has problems too. And it’s a bigger workflow headache as well.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Robert Niessner

PostSat May 02, 2020 10:23 pm

Just to illustrate what's going on with the samples from JSFILMZ:

Alexa_1.1.1.jpg
Alexa
Alexa_1.1.1.jpg (713.58 KiB) Viewed 14152 times

PCC4k_1.2.2.jpg
Pocket 4k DCI
PCC4k_1.2.2.jpg (909.62 KiB) Viewed 14152 times

While in his Youtube video it looks like he had heavy NR applied and zoomed in.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

jack0429

PostSat May 02, 2020 11:34 pm

John Griffin wrote:
jack0429 wrote:

You can’t overexposed 4 stops beyond clipping and recover it and if you mess up WB that bad you will likely clip. The resolution differences between BRAW and CDNG are at best insignificant ( and yes I have tested it) and certainly not in the same league as a larger resolution sensor downsampling to 4K or HD vs the P4k ( like my S1). If lack of resolution is a real issue then I’d say the 8mp sensor is really your problem and not the codec.
Did I say beyond clipping? No. obviously I meant from normal exposures, and I have messed up the wb by 10000 kelvins, and it was ok, braw is truly a great codec, so I'm really just wanting to improve the resolution of that codec. And just try to do a test with some small texts somewhat far away faces in the frame, even at a 1.5x crop the difference will be massive, trust me. This was demonstrated on my second sample, where with cdng you can clearly read whatever was on the bottle, and with braw the smaller texts was a blur, which is quite obviously artifacts from denoising, so if cdng was able to achieve that high level of details, then it's braw's fault for not giving us that. And coincidently, We were very close to buying the s1, until we found the blue clipping issue on the older firmwares. And that's why we bought the bmpcc4k.

jack0429

PostSat May 02, 2020 11:53 pm

John Brawley wrote:
lee4ever wrote:
... CDNG is mostly artifacts AKA false detail...

Sorry, but that's not true. Read here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51936
And then look at the solution: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51936&start=500#p441271

So what CDNG and false details are spread is not true. It can simply be corrected afterwards, without loss of sharpness.

This issue isn't cDNG related per se. There are other artefacts of using cDNG, which are really a function of no OLPF (False detail is recorded)

In the compressed versions of cDNG there are also issues around very fine details (like leaves and branches in wide shots against a plain sky).

Like the images in the first image here in this thread. These are cDNG compression artifacts. Can't be fixed later.

These issues can't be "corrected" later at all.
as per Hook's response
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69405#p388140

"Yes I've seen these before as a result of 4:1 compression - but only on a fairly complex scene and then changing exposure in post and applying strong processing. In fact I was explicitly trying to find artefacts for development reasons, but otherwise in typical shooting and pushing the image as far as I normally would in post it hasn't been an issue for me at all."

That's to say for all those that think cDNG is somehow better, more perfect and more pure. It's got lot's of similar issues around compression

I think if we're choosing artefacts most prefer the less artifacts, slightly softer image that can be sharpened in post over an image that has embedded FC detail that can't be removed.

And BRAW sure is a hell of a lot more consistent and nicer in terms of workflow.

But not everyone feels the same :-)

JB
Eh I like braw, but it's resolution on low contrasty edges and flat surfaces are very disappointing due to the aggressive denoising. Far away faces. and texts (such as on my second example) turn into a mush. And there are people like me who prefers a bit extra aliasing for higher resolution. So I'm really just advocating for blackmagic to give us the option to choose from. You can choose whatever level of denoising you want and I can choose whatever I want. Cropability is very important for my work and the slight extra aliasing that might come with less softening does not bother me much. But of course with user selectable levels you can choose whatever that you're comfortable with as well.

Rakesh Malik

PostSun May 03, 2020 12:10 am

jack0429 wrote:I can't even get a decent 1080p image out of a mere 1.3x crops a lot of times. and that's the problem.

I've done HD extractions from 4K footage recorded on a Pocket 4K to make up for having only two cameras (the other was a Helium) and had no trouble with sharpness in the punch-ins. Whatever was in
the plane of focus was sharp, the rest was soft.. exactly what you'd expect for a camera with a lens on it.

Ergo, it's probably not the camera...
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

jack0429

PostSun May 03, 2020 12:34 am

Rakesh Malik wrote:
jack0429 wrote:I can't even get a decent 1080p image out of a mere 1.3x crops a lot of times. and that's the problem.

I've done HD extractions from 4K footage recorded on a Pocket 4K to make up for having only two cameras (the other was a Helium) and had no trouble with sharpness in the punch-ins. Whatever was in
the plane of focus was sharp, the rest was soft.. exactly what you'd expect for a camera with a lens on it.

Ergo, it's probably not the camera...
For a close up or a directly lit contrasty wide scene it's actually pretty ok, but as soon as the lighting turn flat or there is far away faces in the scene it's painfully obvious how aggressive the noise reduction on the pocket is. That's why I'm simply advocating for the user selectable levels of denoising and resharpening. Here are some q0 examples from jsfilmz on youtube, that you can crop into to see what I mean. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HjxhVP ... pYS8M/view

Uli Plank

PostSun May 03, 2020 1:59 am

Pixel peeping the quality of a camera on YT? Seriously?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Bunk Timmer

PostSun May 03, 2020 10:42 am

Robert Niessner wrote:While in his Youtube video it looks like he had heavy NR applied and zoomed in.
If you use any timeline size and drop both clips with scale set to crop you can compare both shots one to one.
1_to_1.jpg
1_to_1.jpg (504.16 KiB) Viewed 14036 times
It becomes apparent how soft braw is compaired to the alexa. No surprise though.
Robert Niessner wrote:Just to illustrate what's going on with the samples from JSFILMZ:
Why do you scale the alexa from 1614 to 2160 and add grain. Or is it to mimic the pocket look and I misunderstood the intention?
without_nr.jpg
without_nr.jpg (596.31 KiB) Viewed 14036 times
To be clear this is twice the alexa the insert is from Robert.

Robert Niessner

PostSun May 03, 2020 11:11 am

I haven't added grain. The Alexa footage has been scaled to UHD for better comparison and because JSFILMZ has done that too.

My point is - it doesn't make sense to compare the PCC4k while doing a wider shot and cropping in and then say it has less details...
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Bunk Timmer

PostSun May 03, 2020 12:34 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:I haven't added grain.
Ahh ok, than that must be the jpg compression.
Robert Niessner wrote:My point is - it doesn't make sense to compare the PCC4k while doing a wider shot and cropping in and then say it has less details...
So it would have been a better comparison against the Alexa LF 4K camera. Something tells me that that would not level the field.

John Paines

PostSun May 03, 2020 1:34 pm

Bunk Timmer wrote:So it would have been a better comparison against the Alexa LF 4K camera. Something tells me that that would not level the field.

Even forgetting that this 'tuber is not a credible source, I don't think anyone seriously expected that, pixel for pixel, the BMPCC 4K sensor and signal processing is the equal of Alexa's.

If that was the point of the comparison, he could have saved himself a lot of trouble. OTOH, if you want to compare the performance of the BMPCC 4K to the vastly more expensive Alexa, then do it. Given the price difference, you can grant the BMPCC 4K its claimed resolution advantage as a handicap.

I think we know by now that these resolution numbers don't mean much -- that they reference a format, not actual performance. Remember when the early Canon 5Ds were claiming to be 1920x1080, and yet never got sued for false advertising?

jack0429

PostSun May 03, 2020 1:48 pm

John Paines wrote:
Bunk Timmer wrote:So it would have been a better comparison against the Alexa LF 4K camera. Something tells me that that would not level the field.

Even forgetting that this 'tuber is not a credible source, I don't think anyone seriously expected that, pixel for pixel, the BMPCC 4K sensor and signal processing is the equal of Alexa's.

If that was the point of the comparison, he could have saved himself a lot of trouble. OTOH, if you want to compare the performance of the BMPCC 4K to the vastly more expensive Alexa, then do it. Given the price difference, you can grant the BMPCC 4K its claimed resolution advantage as a handicap.

I think we know by now that these resolution numbers don't mean much -- that they reference a format, not actual performance. Remember when the early Canon 5Ds were claiming to be 1920x1080, and yet never got sued for false advertising?
Jsfilmz actually have a cdng version of this comparison, where the bmpcc4k easily matched or even surpassed the Alexa in terms of resolution. Thus demonstrating that without the noise reduction in braw, the bmpcc4k does have excellent resolution. And the bmpcc4k has a one to one pixel resolution sensor, where as the 5d is 12 years old, and had a 21 megapixel sensor. So the technology limitation of the 5d does not apply here. In fact removing noise reduction and sharpening actually lightens the load for the processor and it's circuits. Since these processes requires extra computing power to achieve.

John Paines

PostSun May 03, 2020 1:51 pm

Again, I don't think you're distinguishing between sharpness (which is cheap) and resolution (which isn't).

In any event, this horse is flogged to death. You're not going to get what you want. Find another camera.

jack0429

PostSun May 03, 2020 2:57 pm

John Paines wrote:Again, I don't think you're distinguishing between sharpness (which is cheap) and resolution (which isn't).

In any event, this horse is flogged to death. You're not going to get what you want. Find another camera.
On the samples I've posted, you literally can not read the tiny texts on the bottle at all with braw, saying that the true details from cdng is just cheap "sharpness" is an ignorant statement. And again, I'm not trying to bring back cdng. Having a user selectable denoising/sharpening level in camera would brings the best to everyone, for people who want extra resolution like me, and for people who would want the softer image as well.At this point I'm wondering if some people in this thread are blackmagic employees who are trying to push off extra work to implement that small feature into a future firmware update. Seriously, I'm hurting nobodies interests, so I genuinely do not understand why people would be so opposing to options.

Howard Roll

PostSun May 03, 2020 3:01 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:Ergo, it's probably not the camera...

Dude is using what amounts to a S16+ crop of a Helios and wants to talk sharpness.

Then he wants to blow the image up 1.3X and push exposure a stop to compare noise.

Leaving us with the sage advice don't underexpose shadows. But they're.......I mean literally.........shadows are the absence of..............

Good Luck

jack0429

PostSun May 03, 2020 3:11 pm

Howard Roll wrote:
Rakesh Malik wrote:Ergo, it's probably not the camera...

Dude is using what amounts to a S16+ crop of a Helios and wants to talk sharpness.

Then he wants to blow the image up 1.3X and push exposure a stop to compare noise.

Leaving us with the sage advice don't underexpose shadows. But they're.......I mean literally.........shadows are the absence of..............

Good Luck
Yeah that test was very sketchy, with the incorrect framing and the use of iso800 on the bmpcc4k, it definitely produced incorrect results.

Wayne Steven

PostSun May 03, 2020 7:04 pm

jack0429 wrote:
John Griffin wrote:User selectable options may not be possible as the ‘issues’ you are seeing are highly likely a consequence of the in-camera processing and data compression in the BRAW process. You are not going to get a true ‘ RAW’ i.e the warts and all sensor data until RED’s patent is successfully challenged. The issue would also go away if BM’s P4k mk2 has a >12mp sensor and in-camera sub sampling in BRAW.
Zraw also does in partial camera demosiac just like braw with a 1:1 8mp pixel readout, however without the noise reduction and resharpening, so I think it's possible. Especially because it seems like it's always the low contrasting textures such as far away texts and faces where braw lacks it's detail, which is exactly what a noise reduction algorithm tends to smooth over. But if this is not the case, then I just hope blackmagic does whatever they need to do to increase the resolution of braw.

Jack you are right in many things you say. There are people here who will not admit you are right instead of them. You are wasting your breath.

From what I remember zraw uses optical path denoising, which is what I've asked for with Braw. Sure, it doesn't give you as much apparent/pretend denoising with loss of detail.

It's 100% you can turn certain things down or off, but fir those from compression alone, I've asked for 100% better compression or 50% less compression ratio. Knowing about the data discussion into how Braw works, anybody with a calculator can work out the problem, Braw has overheads that make the compression a lot higher compared to real raw Bayer.

Like you, I'm fine with Braw, as possible my as they make improvements we are suggesting. It's ok otherwise.

There are some who base the world on their experience rather than most "types" of people experience, to get the overwhelming majority of the audience's human experience. Sure we don't cater for the color blind too much, that is a small minority aberration where they are not going experience things perfectly, we cater for capability were the further up we go, the more people who perceive premium quality. I literally get annoyed seeing the flyscreen like lines in-between the pixels on my 4k TV, no pixel peeping, and I still advocate 4k as a compromise. It's a relief when my eyesight goes down a bit and I stop seeing the lines. See them in the premium screen at the movies too. But there are people out there without active ability to even see the difference between 2k and 4k. But it's entirely illogicaly a waste of time for those people to bully and dictate that others can't see it, or it doesn't matter. It's like me expecting them to be able to see the lines in-between 4k pixels, or 4k pixels, it does not matter, they have their capability, but see only part; f the audience but they get convinced their capability is the limit and will argue like they can remove the spots off a cow doing it, which dues not work. So, a significant portion of people will not even see fullhd, less will see 4k and less, but significant portion, will benefit from 8k premium, but 4k is close. Put all these groups together band give them 4k-8k and you have ban overwhelming majority. If there are 1 in a million freaks of nature who see 16k, does it matter? Are you going to spend a little bmore money shooting 16k+ extra premium quality for 0.0001% of the audience. No (hopefully)! So, you stepped into an old minefield here, of people whom can only see so much detail.

The pixel rendering ability comparison between the 4k and the Alexa is valid and 100% logical logic. It is about Braw giving less detail pet pixel (once reframed) compared to something else that has not been put through Braw. Nothing wrong with that, except it meant you could win an argument with it. Cameras without optical low pass filters gave better detail, all other things being the same, and cameras with optical low pass tend to give less prominment detail/softness from blurring, but trying to emulate that blur through simplified processing, isn't as good or as accurate. Your real enemy is Bayer. A proper sensor format would make Braw work great.

Now, what Uli said is true, that the sensor sees through the Bayer pattern, details with missing primaries, producing gaps and alasing crawl, what; said, the true natural image that it sees with its ability. You don't use something that smoothers it over as a good solution. It's rather like smoothering the mother in law over with a tub of wheat glue because you don't like the look of her (the correct procedure is to be gentle and treat her to beauty treatments :) ). You do much better getting great software to do the job in post rather than having the camera do it simply in camera reducing the real data fidelity that you could use in post. That's why you get 6k or 8k Bayer to do 4k, to improve a lot of things. Without that, it's resolve's job to improve cdngs in a better way than Braw does. I am very much for a minimal olpf on the cameras at least. Red has user swappable ones, BM should invest in two (light and heavier) and reduce smoothing in Braw. Struth, the solutions to many of these problems in people's minds, are so easy for a company like BM, but they just wont do it.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Wayne Steven

PostSun May 03, 2020 7:18 pm

Uli Plank wrote:It's not cDNG that has false detail, it's the sensor itself. The camera has no OLPF, so it has false detail. Please read about the Shannon/Nyquist limit. DNG shows that even uncompressed, while BRAW is smoothing some of it out, but not all.

+1

As I said, this is what the sensor naturally sees, trying to smooth things is not authentic, you are better off with an olpf, at least that collects real light and detail from the missing gaps.
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Rakesh Malik

PostSun May 03, 2020 9:06 pm

Howard Roll wrote:Dude is using what amounts to a S16+ crop of a Helios and wants to talk sharpness.

Good Luck

Yeah... apparently he's looking for a camera that can magically fix underexposure somehow. :)
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Adam Silver

PostSun May 03, 2020 10:57 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:Jack you are right in many things you say. There are people here who will not admit you are right instead of them. You are wasting your breath.

Wayne, stop trying to make friends with then new guy. :lol:

Wayne Steven

PostMon May 04, 2020 12:47 am

Glad I opened this blocked message. I had a friend years back, she used to mistake friendliness and 'respect' for "sucking up" but no suprise she would suck up when I saw her speak to somebody in-charge. I'm being friendly to somebody on the receiving end of being right. If he was a tosser being wrong, I might try to be friendly and help him, but it hasn't seemed to have helped anybody on my recent ignore list. I don't need him as a friend, that's not what it's about, it's about helping, caring, respecting before they go too far.

Wayne Steven

PostMon May 04, 2020 12:54 am

Basically, just about everybody answering him negatively here, from my past experiences, should be on everybody's ignore list, even some across the net. If there was internet user licensing, I would love to be an Internet Cop.

New version of a Song: The Logic Police get inside of my head. :)

Now, from Adam, back to Jack! This thread's interesting, like Dmitry's.

jack0429

PostMon May 04, 2020 3:11 am

Wayne Steven wrote:Glad I opened this blocked message. I had a friend years back, she used to mistake friendliness and 'respect' for "sucking up" but no suprise she would suck up when I saw her speak to somebody in-charge. I'm being friendly to somebody on the receiving end of being right. If he was a tosser being wrong, I might try to be friendly and help him, but it hasn't seemed to have helped anybody on my recent ignore list. I don't need him as a friend, that's not what it's about, it's about helping, caring, respecting before they go too far.
Man thanks you so much for this, though I still don't get why everyone is acting so aggressive towards me, I tried my best to think about if I was acting like a ****** or if I hurt anyone's interest, but I just couldn't really think of any? I'm here to raise a feature request, something that has bugged me for the past half a year I've been with this bmpcc4k. Either everyone here works in narrative and have never cropped in their life, so they couldn't understand my point. Or they felt like I was attacking or trying to argue with them? Maybe my original post is just too aggressively worded? If anyone think I did something wrong please give me some feedback lol.

Wayne Steven

PostMon May 04, 2020 3:27 am

Maybe a bit aggressive. They act like loyalists to royality, and can act a bit hurt with a I know best attitude which closes them off to new contradictory information. I am a well trained technocrat, so I can see the difference, but have been through where they are a long time back. The unwashed of the technical world passing as intellectuals, not knowing the limitations of their knowledge or experience. If they did know there was more past their experience, they probably would be more open to exploring things a bit more.

In the end. If you can't love them and you can't beat them, give up and let them burn themselves.

A lot of these are the only ones around who do this sort of stuff to me and others here. There was the same issue on the Red forums, helpful enthusiastic gentlemen, then they announced the cheap scarlet fixed, and a new bunch of people turned up and most of the good people seemingly left rather than put up with it. So subforums devoid of many real answers or many posts, but with these people getting into many threads and dominating. Thats what you face by not meeting their expectations of what should be.

Robert Niessner

PostMon May 04, 2020 4:24 am

Jack, not everyone has been acting aggressive towards you.
But to make your point you should put in a little bit more effort when doing comparison shots, like using a tripod to create identical framing, provide original footage and information about the setup and settings.

I have done an in depth comparison between BRAW and CDNG on the UMP G1 here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91802
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

jack0429

PostMon May 04, 2020 5:04 am

Robert Niessner wrote:Jack, not everyone has been acting aggressive towards you.
But to make your point you should put in a little bit more effort when doing comparison shots, like using a tripod to create identical framing, provide original footage and information about the setup and settings.

I have done an in depth comparison between BRAW and CDNG on the UMP G1 here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91802
Ah I see, unfortunately I'm having trouble trying to get any more wide landscape shots and samples in times of this lockdown, and the samples I want to show the most, are either tests from a production or some far away faces and stuff. Which I don't think is a good idea to post to the internet, so I'm sorry for the frustration that I've caused to anybody. My setup is a sigma 17-50 f2.8 paired up with an metabones speedbooster ultra, stepped down to f5.6. With the wide shot being shot at q0 at a datarate of approximately 250mb/s or 2:1, and the indoors bottle shot being at 3:1. I have now included the setup information in my test folder, thank you very much for the advice.

Uli Plank

PostMon May 04, 2020 5:14 am

Actually, Robert's test were some of the most coherent and carefully documented I've ever seen on a public forum. And they are very close to my own experiences.

Without trying to put down your equipment, the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 kit lens is not the greatest lens in the world and micro-contrast can interact with the perception of resolution after compression.

I did my tests with a Zeiss 60mm f2.8 Macro, stopped down to 5.6, which is as sharp as it gets. Another analytically sharp lens is the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 (for a zoom, that is).

jack0429

PostMon May 04, 2020 5:24 am

Uli Plank wrote:Actually, Robert's test were some of the most coherent and carefully documented I've ever seen on a public forum. And they are very close to my own experiences.

Without trying to put down your equipment, the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 kit lens is not the greatest lens in the world and micro-contrast can interact with the perception of resolution after compression.

I did my tests with a Zeiss 60mm f2.8 Macro, stopped down to 5.6, which is as sharp as it gets. Another analytically sharp lens is the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 (for a zoom, that is).
His tests were indeed excellent, testing the rgb channel for compression artifacts as well, but the denoising artifacts don't really kick in a high contrast close up scenario. I think this denoising effect is most apparent in wide shots with low contrast textures and lighting, If I did this test with my 18-135 kit lens for example, the smooshed details would be very apparent because of the low contrast nature of that lens. I'd think the sigma 17-50 as a decent zoom lens, being the sharpest apsc standard zoom lens with image stabilization. But of course the result would definitely be sharper with a more clinically sharp lens such as a prime.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography