Blackmagic Production Camera 4K Update

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

ronhaley

Re: Blackmagic Production Camera 4K Update

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 10:10 pm

If that were their strategy, they would do a lot better if they fixed all the flaws in the BMCC. I have a BMPC on order with B&H, but would be content to go with the BMCC, especially with the new price, if it weren't for all the unfixed flaws!
On top of that, two of my EF lenses don't seem to work with the BMCC either.

Yes, the Sony spec wise doesn't look as good as the BMPC. But the good news is that Sony has set a price point. Expect others to enter this space at or below this price with better product!

Terry Katz

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 10:14 pm

PaulDelVecchio wrote:
comet48 wrote:Sony just announced a 4K for $4,500. Posted it, but it was deleted. Delivery October- this year. Perhaps this can put some pressure on BM!
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/09/ ... k-in-4-5k/

The post was deleted because it has nothing to do with the BMD product line. This cam looks interesting for event people, but with its small sensor and .mp4 format for the footage, it's not much interest to me as a filmmaker. I'm sure plenty others feel the same way. What it does have is proper video camera functions.

Is it 4K we're excited about or other features that produce a high quality cinematic image?

Exactly. I could almost care less about the 4k part… Global shutter and near S35 sized sensor are what I'm mainly interested in.. 4k down sampled to 1080p will be nice, but I'm already quite happy with the 2.5k of the BMCC. If I could get a 2.5k BMCC with global shutter and S35 sized sensor I'd be quite happy.
Terry Katz

Jesuan Soriano

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 10:16 pm

in Sony Europe's facebook page they anounced the camera by uploading a freaking big photo of it...so....
Jesus Soriano

Terry Katz

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 10:23 pm

comet48 wrote:If that were their strategy, they would do a lot better if they fixed all the flaws in the BMCC. I have a BMPC on order with B&H, but would be content to go with the BMCC, especially with the new price, if it weren't for all the unfixed flaws!

Yes, the Sony spec wise doesn't look as good as the BMPC. But the good news is that Sony has set a price point. Expect others to enter this space at or below this price with better product!

Tiny sensor, no global shutter, fixed lens, 4:2:0 mp4 recording format… it might be good news for someone looking to buy a cheap 4k video camera, but I don't think I'd even trade in my XF300 for it. The BMPC (and even the BMCC for that matter) is on a completely different level then it.
Terry Katz

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 10:31 pm

Folks,

Let's keep this on the topic of product from BMD. If you want to have discussion about other products, there are other forums you can visit for this.

Thanks
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

ronhaley

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 10:33 pm

tkatz wrote:
comet48 wrote:If that were their strategy, they would do a lot better if they fixed all the flaws in the BMCC. I have a BMPC on order with B&H, but would be content to go with the BMCC, especially with the new price, if it weren't for all the unfixed flaws!

Tiny sensor, no global shutter, fixed lens, 4:2:0 mp4 recording format… it might be good news for someone looking to buy a cheap 4k video camera, but I don't think I'd even trade in my XF300 for it. The BMPC (and even the BMCC for that matter) is on a completely different level then it.

Shouldn't that be "We HOPE the BMPC is on a completely different level then it".

Christoffer Glans

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 10:39 pm

Sigh, another delay... what a surprise. At least they didn't promise a date now and seem to go with the "we release it when it's ready".

But I'm glad I didn't preorder, giving up on this camera for now.

Ulysses Paiva

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 10:53 pm

Jesuan wrote:
Ulysses wrote:Guys, come on! Wake up!

I´ve been kind of a ghost user but this I had to express.

They reduced the price and if they shipped the 4K, they would sell just a few units of the BMCC 2.5k. It's marketing strategy, financial strategy to hold on the 4K for as long as they can so people still buy the 2.5k and then they ship the 4K so many who bought the previous model will surelly update for the new kid on the block, rising the sales. It just makes a lot more sense. All other companies does that. Canon, for example, is giving us pratically the same camera (DSLR for video) for over 4 years. They just change a buttons positions, put a new name and sell a lot with a lot os customers updating theirs already the same tech cameras.

BMD is desorganized? Yes, we all know they are, but not to the point of having delays in sensors or firmware retouchs. They were a bit desorganized when they announced the 4k with the 2.5k just starting to ship worldwide, therefore losing a higher sales strategy. Then they dropped the price so they could sell the amount stored - and not so much desired anymore after 4k statment - of the 2.5k more easily and only after that will release the 4k to continue selling good.

Their luck is that they have no competition so far, so they could make their mistakes and the lost is not that much at all. If they had competition, of course they'd probably broken right now.

Well, despite the fact of that "not good" way to conduct business, their cameras (flaws appart) are a very nice piece of equipment and really gave us "small" filmmakers the opportunity to compete with the big guys, if we're talented enough. The camera is just the tool to help you/us get there. We just wish things were conducted a bit differently, so the company would be a killer.

Regards.

That's exactly what it is going on right now......I still don't know why people doesn't see this. :)
+1000 my friend

Thanks, Jesuan. Its just that everybody is looking at BMD and seeing them as a close friend only, but they are a company and they need to make money.
Ulysses Paiva

dqford

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 11:00 pm

Mr. Petty,

Yet again, you wait until several days after the scheduled release date to announce a delay! You did the exact same thing last month: three days after the scheduled release date you announced a major delay. Now you do the exact same thing?

What troubles me the most is that you obviously knew about the delays all along, just like with the previous delays... and just like with the epic BMCC delays last year.

I think it's now clear that you've never had any intention whatsoever of delivering on the scheduled date or anywhere close to that. It's simply a tactic to keep unsuspecting potential customers waiting for your ill-planned products so that they don't wise up and buy something better that they can use right now.

Bill Rich

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 11:05 pm

Let the good folks at BMD do what they do best and make amazing products!
By now there should be no surprise that BMD will miss shipping dates in order to ship a working camera. There should also be no surprise when they don't communicate as often as you might like.. but the proof is in the pudding.. I LOVE my BMCC EF 2.5K! and if that is any indication on how good the 4K is.. it will be worth the wait!!
Think of it this way.. There hasn't been any videos shared from pre-production 4K cameras from JB yet. (at least none that I've seen) So it might be a bit longer til the 4K ships.. hang in there.. or pick up a BMCC 2.5 and start shooting while you wait!
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

josephrose

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 11:21 pm

Tony Rivera wrote:Folks,

Let's keep this on the topic of product from BMD. If you want to have discussion about other products, there are other forums you can visit for this.

Thanks

Ok, in that case... how come your products don't come out when promised, don't come out with the features listed on the box, and have horrible image-ruining blooming sensor issues poor battery life and unusable audio?
Last edited by josephrose on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jesuan Soriano

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 11:21 pm

Ulysses wrote:
Jesuan wrote:
Ulysses wrote:Guys, come on! Wake up!

I´ve been kind of a ghost user but this I had to express.

They reduced the price and if they shipped the 4K, they would sell just a few units of the BMCC 2.5k. It's marketing strategy, financial strategy to hold on the 4K for as long as they can so people still buy the 2.5k and then they ship the 4K so many who bought the previous model will surelly update for the new kid on the block, rising the sales. It just makes a lot more sense. All other companies does that. Canon, for example, is giving us pratically the same camera (DSLR for video) for over 4 years. They just change a buttons positions, put a new name and sell a lot with a lot os customers updating theirs already the same tech cameras.

BMD is desorganized? Yes, we all know they are, but not to the point of having delays in sensors or firmware retouchs. They were a bit desorganized when they announced the 4k with the 2.5k just starting to ship worldwide, therefore losing a higher sales strategy. Then they dropped the price so they could sell the amount stored - and not so much desired anymore after 4k statment - of the 2.5k more easily and only after that will release the 4k to continue selling good.

Their luck is that they have no competition so far, so they could make their mistakes and the lost is not that much at all. If they had competition, of course they'd probably broken right now.

Well, despite the fact of that "not good" way to conduct business, their cameras (flaws appart) are a very nice piece of equipment and really gave us "small" filmmakers the opportunity to compete with the big guys, if we're talented enough. The camera is just the tool to help you/us get there. We just wish things were conducted a bit differently, so the company would be a killer.

Regards.

That's exactly what it is going on right now......I still don't know why people doesn't see this. :)
+1000 my friend

Thanks, Jesuan. Its just that everybody is looking at BMD and seeing them as a close friend only, but they are a company and they need to make money.

exactly...I mean....If someone hasn't bought the 2,5k and then knows that in july is gonna be realeased a 4k version.....you think....ok I'll wait until they release the 4k version and so I will have a better camera....then in august BMD says "sorry dude, but we still haven't got the 4k because the sensor supplier misteriously changed its schame of production and now it produces a totally different sensor and we have to rework it again.....but don't worry man we just dropped $1k the old BMCC....nice dieah eh??"
So they can get ridd of the 2,5k stock and focus on the 4kcamera knowing that most of their costumer will finally have both...

It's BMD bussiness strategy and I respect it since they are here to make money.....but if it really is happenning what they are telling us....then BMD has a big problem!!!
Jesus Soriano

ronhaley

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 12:28 am

I think they will make a lot more money selling BMPC @ $4K than the BMCC at $2K.

Ulysses Paiva

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 1:44 am

Not if they already have a great stock of the 2.5k and saw the sales dramatically reducing after the 4k announcement. The better thing for them is to sell both, specially if they already have a big stock for a demand that has changed a lot after revealing the newer model. And that's why its cheaper now.

Dont buy the argument of problems with sensor delivery. They have contracts with the suppliers wich garantee them to receive in time, even more after learning with last year's fiasco of delivering on time. Every company has strict contracts so the other part fulfills what was agreed. Even we work that way with anything we buy be it a product or service.
Ulysses Paiva

ronhaley

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 1:53 am

It's a pretty big cost difference between the two, and I don't just mean the $2K camera difference. Have you seen the hardware requirements for 4K post processing?
They can also control the spread between the two by raising the price of the 4K. No need to tank it!

Ulysses Paiva

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 2:02 am

They wont raise as they already announced the price. No company does that. They want to sell, not restrict sales in any way. But you're right. The 4K is definitely higher price to build and the "bill" with the supplier should not be small. they are not ordering a cake in the bakery next corner. They ordered high end tech sensor and thats not cheap. Maybe the sells of the 2.5k wasnt as they expected and they just need raise some funds to pay whats needed to put the 4k in production, or anything like that.

Anyway, thats not relevant. I just think, whatever reason, this is not a simple "unexpected thing" on sensor side. Its a financial move. Dont be that naive to believe it.
Ulysses Paiva

Scott Stacy

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 2:42 am

Grant Petty wrote:When we built cameras from them we saw some big differences in the images between these production sensors vs the pre production samples we originally received.

Perhaps Terry or Grant can address this issue (above) in a more explicit manner so that assumptions are not made, causing undue anxiety in this post and resulting agitation.

Please tell us, your loyal customers, what differences you are noticing?

Thanks.
Last edited by Scott Stacy on Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist/Former DP

Windows 10
HP Z8
Geforce RTX 3090
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
NVME M.2 Samsung 970 2TB (x4)
Resolve 18.6
BMD Pocket 6k Pro

ronhaley

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 2:56 am

Ulysses wrote:They wont raise as they already announced the price. No company does that. They want to sell, not restrict sales in any way. But you're right. The 4K is definitely higher price to build and the "bill" with the supplier should not be small. they are not ordering a cake in the bakery next corner. They ordered high end tech sensor and thats not cheap. Maybe the sells of the 2.5k wasnt as they expected and they just need raise some funds to pay whats needed to put the 4k in production, or anything like that.

Anyway, thats not relevant. I just think, whatever reason, this is not a simple "unexpected thing" on sensor side. Its a financial move. Dont be that naive to believe it.

One thing that adds credence to your theory is that we have never seen output from the BMPC. If they have had early sensor versions working, why no shots?!

Cabraswel

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 3:19 am

Thank you for doing the responsible thing and communicating this to us. I will hope to hear from you next month.

Philip

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 4:43 am

Grant Petty wrote:It's taking a bit longer than we expected to do this and we think its going to take about 3 to 4 weeks more to get those changes done and to get the QA process completed before we can start shipping.

Mr Petty,

You sir... need to wake-up and smell the coffee.

You know the next time that you stand there crying wolf the industry is going to laugh you off the stage, right?

And you would deserve it, as you and your company is a disgrace to customer service. I don't think I'm unreasonable for believing that.

I have just cancelled all my Blackmagic orders, with various dealers because of you, then came here, and registered on this forum in order to tell you why, as this is the only way to communicate with a company who has complete disregard for its clientele.

What a joke!

Scott Stacy

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 6:02 am

Ulysses wrote:It's BMD bussiness strategy and I respect it since they are here to make money.....but if it really is happenning what they are telling us....then BMD has a big problem!!!

I think they have a real problem. BMD does not have good, strategic business sense. Perhaps they stumbled upon this "opportunity" you postulate to sell more BMCCs. However, the company provides plenty of evidence that those in the executive ranks impulsively fly by the seat of their pants - like most creative people who become executives by position or ownership rather than skill. I see these kinds of cases all the time in my work. As a psychologist, corporate consultant, and part-time cinematographer, it is CLEARLY evident that the creators of BMD need to step out of the executive offices and move back into being creative where they will really succeed - let people who actually know how to run companies move in and help this company (with great potential) from its propensity to engage poor judgment and possibly destroy itself. It has already done great harm to its reputation. Or ... perhaps the leadership will bring in a consultant to help the leadership re-calabrate the way they do and think about the business of creating and marketing cutting edge innovation. They could really benefit from that. I'd like to see this company really excel, unfortunately they appear to be showing signs of a budding malignancy. However, this all fixable with a clear vision, surrender of ego, and defining a new purpose.
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist/Former DP

Windows 10
HP Z8
Geforce RTX 3090
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
Resolve 18.6
BMD Pocket 6k Pro

Christopher Barry

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 6:51 am

This is a general comment, not directed at any one person in this thread, or others in the Cinematography forum.

Unfortunate events have unfolded, recently described by BMD CEO, Grant Petty, and nothing to the contrary of the statement has been proved otherwise.

In my opinion, one may either accept the latest update and wait for the BMPC to ship in due course, or move on to another camera that is now ready to pick up from the dealer/retailer, and that which ticks all or enough of the boxes with regard to technical specs to price.

ok, I may have stepped into the lion's den. Rip shreds off me, if you must...

Paul Kapp

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 7:44 am

CineMusic wrote:
Ulysses wrote:It's BMD bussiness strategy and I respect it since they are here to make money.....but if it really is happenning what they are telling us....then BMD has a big problem!!!

I think they have a real problem. BMD does not have good, strategic business sense. Perhaps they stumbled upon this "opportunity" you postulate to sell more BMCCs. However, the company provides plenty of evidence that those in the executive ranks impulsively fly by the seat of their pants - like most creative people who become executives by position or ownership rather than skill. I see these kinds of cases all the time in my work. As a psychologist, corporate consultant, and part-time cinematographer, it is CLEARLY evident that the creators of BMD need to step out of the executive offices and move back into being creative where they will really succeed - let people who actually know how to run companies move in and help this company (with great potential) from its propensity to engage poor judgment and possibly destroy itself. It has already done great harm to its reputation. Or ... perhaps the leadership will bring in a consultant to help the leadership re-calabrate the way they do and think about the business of creating and marketing cutting edge innovation. They could really benefit from that. I'd like to see this company really excel, unfortunately they appear to be showing signs of a budding malignancy. However, this all fixable with a clear vision, surrender of ego, and defining a new purpose.

As a psychotherapy student myself, I'm calling horse-poo on this.
A degree in rats'n'stats doesn't give you authority to diagnose someone based on your perception of their business decisions.
I personally would not allow myself to be headf#cked by your perceptions.

The only thing I can say for sure is, Grant Petty has balls and vision.
Nothing wrong with that.

Paul Kapp

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 8:22 am

To me the Blackmagic enterprise is Promethean in it's aims and I'm going to support it by buying the 4K camera.
I have spent a small fortune on prosumer gear over the years, DVCPRO, JVC and have owned an F900.
For a fraction of the cost of these cameras, I can get something approximating high end equipment with the BMPC 4K.
I see there is a risk of disappointment and am prepared for it. As an early adopter I'm used to it.

In 1969, the Apollo mission set mankind on the moon.
The onboard computer had the power of a low budget digital watch.
It was a ballsy project that nearly came to disaster many times.
It was like trying to hit Goliath with a slingshot, only one stone and no second shots.

That's how I see Blackmagic Design.

Jesuan Soriano

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 10:13 am

Christopher Barry wrote:This is a general comment, not directed at any one person in this thread, or others in the Cinematography forum.

Unfortunate events have unfolded, recently described by BMD CEO, Grant Petty, and nothing to the contrary of the statement has been proved otherwise.

In my opinion, one may either accept the latest update and wait for the BMPC to ship in due course, or move on to another camera that is now ready to pick up from the dealer/retailer, and that which ticks all or enough of the boxes with regard to technical specs to price.

So you say that you can not give your opinion unless it is favorable to the forum holder??? This is the internet and we are free to say what we want to say if we do with respect. I am reallly tired of all this people that their only argument to write on forums is "oh dude build your own camera, software, computer..." c'mon people...grow the f**k up!!!
Jesus Soriano

Aristotelis Papakonstantinou

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 10:49 am

Go to Youtube and search: "FIRST Official BMPC Video 4k Test Quality - Blackmagic Production "
What do you think about that? Its reak BMPC 4K Footage?

Jesuan Soriano

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 11:05 am

pulala_8 wrote:Go to Youtube and search: "FIRST Official BMPC Video 4k Test Quality - Blackmagic Production "
What do you think about that? Its reak BMPC 4K Footage?

man please......sigh....no it isn't...
Jesus Soriano

JeanPaul

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 12:10 pm

Brooklyn wrote:I just want to point out that the 4K's page on the Blackmagic website says "Shipping September". This, to me, sounds somewhat overly optimistic. Just my two cents.

haha, agreed. Even now when they should have learned. How can they do it all over? 4th of september is this thread from.

4 week from that will do...what...32th of september?

Common.. Now you have a chance to be bit honest. Write October or even End of 2013. Think that would have been better...unless you really know that you can deliver this month...however, think very few of us belive the wolf is out there?

christian.himmelstrand

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 12:15 pm

care less about the 4k, if I could get a 2.5k BMCC with global shutter and S35 sized sensor I'd be quite happy.

+1

I agree

christian.himmelstrand

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 12:18 pm

Bill Rich wrote:Let the good folks at BMD do what they do best and make amazing products!
By now there should be no surprise that BMD will miss shipping dates in order to ship a working camera. There should also be no surprise when they don't communicate as often as you might like.. but the proof is in the pudding.. I LOVE my BMCC EF 2.5K! and if that is any indication on how good the 4K is.. it will be worth the wait!!
Think of it this way.. There hasn't been any videos shared from pre-production 4K cameras from JB yet. (at least none that I've seen) So it might be a bit longer til the 4K ships.. hang in there.. or pick up a BMCC 2.5 and start shooting while you wait!

+1

John Brawley

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 12:22 pm

silvio bonomi wrote:
...this is incredible !! A sensor is not a "banana", is a piece of high tecnology ! How is possible that a sensor maker industry is not able to reproduce the same kind of sensors of pre-production !!

The same "sad" situation with sensor of BMCC...speechless...

silvio bonomi

This is exactly what caused Aaton to close their doors this year. At last year's IBC they showed their first Penelope Delta, a 6K DNG camera with a Kodak/ True Sense sensor to great acclaim.

http://www.redsharknews.com/business/it ... f-business

When they ordered a production run of sensors, they weren't the same as the proto/demo sensor they did all their initial calibration on. They were in the middle of building their first 5 production cameras and they ran out of money chasing down inconsistent sensors.

An innovative camera company with more than 30 years of filmmaking history went bust trying to calibrate sensors because the best sensor company on the planet, Kodak / Truesense couldn't deliver consistently performing sensors.

Ikonoskop cameras, an early digital cinema camera innovator also went bust this year.

Digital Bolex, who announced their initial delivery before the original BMCC, still haven't delivered and are now only just producing moving images.

Making cameras is really hard and there's a lot that happens behind the scenes. A lot of it is also highly proprietary and BMD are rightfully protective of their IP. Let's not bust their arses when you don't actually know what your'e talking about.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

christian.himmelstrand

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 12:25 pm

Philip wrote:
Grant Petty wrote:It's taking a bit longer than we expected to do this and we think its going to take about 3 to 4 weeks more to get those changes done and to get the QA process completed before we can start shipping.

Mr Petty,

You know the next time that you stand there crying wolf the industry is going to laugh you off the stage, right?

And you would deserve it, as you and your company is a disgrace to customer service. I don't think I'm unreasonable for believing that.

I have just cancelled all my Blackmagic orders, with various dealers because of you, then came here, and registered on this forum in order to tell you why, as this is the only way to communicate with a company who has complete disregard for its clientele.

What a joke!

In Sweden we have a proverb that says: He who waits for something good, does'nt wait too long.

Scott Stacy

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 2:02 pm

Pablito wrote:
As a psychotherapy student myself, I'm calling horse-poo on this.
A degree in rats'n'stats doesn't give you authority to diagnose someone based on your perception of their business decisions.
I personally would not allow myself to be headf#cked by your perceptions.

I've never studied rats. Only CEOs of large fortune 500 companies and medical leaders. Second, these are not my perception. They have a factual basis anchored in observations over time and with repetitive outcomes. Finally, being a psychology student, you should not insult your elders. Lastly, I think that BMD and their products are wonderful. However, the organization needs help and a different style and orientation regarding business leadership. If you got my message, it's that there is a difference between an innovator and a manager. Mr. Perry and the other leaders in the company are clearly innovators. Those who are innovators in cutting edge companies eventually need to turn over business leadership to experts and return to what they do best: innovate.
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist/Former DP

Windows 10
HP Z8
Geforce RTX 3090
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
Resolve 18.6
BMD Pocket 6k Pro

Scott Stacy

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 2:05 pm

Christian H wrote:
care less about the 4k, if I could get a 2.5k BMCC with global shutter and S35 sized sensor I'd be quite happy.

+1

I agree

+1
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist/Former DP

Windows 10
HP Z8
Geforce RTX 3090
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
Resolve 18.6
BMD Pocket 6k Pro

Christopher Barry

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 2:15 pm

Jesuan wrote:
Christopher Barry wrote:This is a general comment, not directed at any one person in this thread, or others in the Cinematography forum.

So you say that you can not give your opinion unless it is favorable to the forum holder??? This is the internet and we are free to say what we want to say if we do with respect. I am reallly tired of all this people that their only argument to write on forums is "oh dude build your own camera, software, computer..." c'mon people...grow the f**k up!!!

I did not say "you can not give your opinion unless it is favorable to the forum holder???" or the balance of your misrepresentation of my comment. Please calm down, refer to your own reference of communicating with 'respect', and please do not misquote me.

Ulysses Paiva

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 3:40 pm

Folks, the topic! Keep it!

We could at least see some footage or have some more specific information about image quality, difference to the cinema camera and what that supposed "different than expected" sensor would give.

JB said exemples of companies who went through similar problem, if thats the real case. I understand the process is not simple and agree in parts. But having it happen before with other companies, to me (only my opinion), only serves to reinforce theirs (again, my opinion) excuse.

Against my will of having some footage for us to have an idea of what the camera really has to offer, if its superb like we are all expecting to be, of course the majority of us would choose to wait even more to buy the 4K. Thats another point of view for them to not have released any footage yet. To me, gathering all the pieces, just makes me think they need to sell a lot more 2.5k (in stock, maybe huge stock) before handing over the majority of sales to the 4k. Its simple logic to sell as much as you can with one model and then release a new model to dont let sales get cold instead of losing sales launching a new model on top of a previous model recently arriving in the market and selling good.

This happens in all other companies in all other areas. Maybe we're just too frustated things didnt happened as we expected. And thats a terrible thing to wait for months and in the end you dont get what you were waiting for. At least not for now.

Maybe this give a script for a good movie with a guy waiting for this love and she just doesnt arrive, problems in the way and many other sad things until they get together. Remember to put my name on the credits for this. :)
Ulysses Paiva

rick.lang

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 4:32 pm

comet48 wrote:One thing that adds credence to your theory is that we have never seen output from the BMPC. If they have had early sensor versions working, why no shots?!

Precisely due to the problems with the BMCC EF about this time last year. There was footage from the prototype camera and footage from the very first very small shipment and the sensors looked good. Then they ramp up the production, the sensor supplier chooses a different supplier for the glass over the sensor and voilá, disaster. Perhaps this time they are not going to release the camera footage until they can show footage produced by cameras identical to those you will receive.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

marktyers

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 4:55 pm

Brooklyn wrote:I just want to point out that the 4K's page on the Blackmagic website says "Shipping September". This, to me, sounds somewhat overly optimistic. Just my two cents.

I don't find this optimistic, they don't specify which year... :lol:

piguar2007

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 5:08 pm

I'm about to cancel the purchase of the "black 4k ..."

seriously. this discourages me a lot. I do not understand why so many confusion of dates.

have you sold the bear's skin before the hunt.

**** .. do not get the idea the work that I have waiting for your camera ...

not how to explain my dissatisfaction with black magic.

dais again dates for September ... seems to me very optimistic date ...

I prefer that you warn that the next date in December and surprised us in October or November saying it's ready for shipping ...

you you demand respect but disrespect the first is all this waiting.

hopefully by the end of September this all ok. but I already know of you another date.

01.02.2015 ...

cameras when they are ready ... already be outdated.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

rlr297

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 8:13 pm

piguar2007 wrote:I'm about to cancel the purchase of the "black 4k ..."

seriously. this discourages me a lot. I do not understand why so many confusion of dates.

have you sold the bear's skin before the hunt.

**** .. do not get the idea the work that I have waiting for your camera ...

not how to explain my dissatisfaction with black magic.

dais again dates for September ... seems to me very optimistic date ...

I prefer that you warn that the next date in December and surprised us in October or November saying it's ready for shipping ...

you you demand respect but disrespect the first is all this waiting.

hopefully by the end of September this all ok. but I already know of you another date.

01.02.2015 ...

cameras when they are ready ... already be outdated.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Could be a bit more professional around here.

Andy Fordham

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 8:23 pm

It seems that 4K is going to become the standard very shortly.

Sony have just released their XDCam Version with 4.2.2 colorspace the PXW Z100

XAVC recording format at 4K 50fps/60fps, 4:22 10-bit at 500/600Mbps, HD at up to 223Mbps

Do I keep my pre-order ? I'm not worried about Raw, but Sony stuff seems so much more reliable.
Kent, UK.
www.andyfordham.net
C300, BMCC,

georgetsirogiannis

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 8:29 pm

I would so much love to see a topic that is exclusively about the actual progress of shipping.

I mean, we all are more or less discontent/disappointed/impatient with the delays and blurry info, and I think we've come to a point that everybody, both customers and Blackmagic, know about this. Another complaint doesn't add anything to the picture.

So I would suggest that every new post here (or in another new topic) is an actual update about the shipping progress, and not about people canceling orders or blaming Blackmagic. I know that this mght possibly be... well, impossible. It worths the try, though.

christian.himmelstrand

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 8:41 pm

rick.lang wrote: Perhaps this time they are not going to release the camera footage until they can show footage produced by cameras identical to those you will receive.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes I'll believe so.

Philip

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 9:02 pm

Christian H wrote:
Philip wrote:

Mr Petty,

What a joke!

In Sweden we have a proverb that says: He who waits for something good, does'nt wait too long.

We have waited... per assurance from Mr Petty, we opened our pockets to hard earned moneys and adjusted our business plans, again...based on his overwhelming assurance at NAB 2013 that the fiasco of 2012 can and will not repeat itself.

I'm sick of these fanboys telling everyone "well, if you don't want to wait...then go buy another camera". That's not the point!

The point is we are in the palm of his hand because we thought maybe, just maybe he's telling the truth this time. We believed him, we went along with it. And now the lies and complete disregard for customer service are spiraling out of control...and yet, he doesn't have the decency to stand up and face the beast that he has created.

BMD needs to be served a nice big piece of humble pie.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 9:43 pm

We understand the frustration and we apologize for the delay. We are working as quickly as possible to get these out the door and into your hands. Some of the statements in this thread however have gone past acceptable civil discussion, and the thread has really gotten off topic.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Corrupt Frame, Inc.

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 10:54 pm

Tony Rivera wrote:We understand the frustration and we apologize for the delay. We are working as quickly as possible to get these out the door and into your hands. Some of the statements in this thread however have gone past acceptable civil discussion, and the thread has really gotten off topic.

Don't work too quickly. You're better off with more delays than you will be if you rush it out and screw it up like you did the Pocket. :lol:

Ben Wells

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 11:02 pm

Well Tony-tone I suppose it's better than indifference. You'll know you're in trouble when people stop getting angry.
Attachments
tumblr_mf76fwmcP81qjtajso1_r1_500.gif
tumblr_mf76fwmcP81qjtajso1_r1_500.gif (753.92 KiB) Viewed 22659 times

MaRsA

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 11:03 pm

Corrupt Frame, Inc. wrote:
Tony Rivera wrote:We understand the frustration and we apologize for the delay. We are working as quickly as possible to get these out the door and into your hands. Some of the statements in this thread however have gone past acceptable civil discussion, and the thread has really gotten off topic.

Don't work too quickly. You're better off with more delays than you will be if you rush it out and screw it up like you did the Pocket. :lol:

+1
Majed Albayed

Adam Sullivan

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 12:07 am

The update is appreciated, but as someone who has pre ordered the camera some clarification to some of the questions expressed on this thread would be great. Specifically on the sensor, you said the production run came in different, different how? Were they performing better, worse, or just in a different way that required you to make some changes? Also some clarity on the release date you have updated on the production camera page would be nice. Based on the update you provided here September seems like an impossible date to make for actual release. Most of us understand this is an extremely complex and arduous task you guys have ahead of you, and you are promising an amazing product. That said if you could give us your realistic and expected time frame on the camera I think it would do the most good as far as satisfying us customers while we wait. I really want to stick it out and wait for the product, but if we keep getting fed dates and then get told another date when they aren't met I think a lot of people are going to cancel their orders and move on to something else, me included.

At this point you have a lot of people invested in your product and you have missed your promises so far to those customers, communication and clarity I think is the most fare under the circumstances.

I hope things work out for you guys, and we get to see this product shine.

Ulysses Paiva

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 12:31 am

Philip wrote:We have waited... per assurance from Mr Petty, we opened our pockets to hard earned moneys and adjusted our business plans, again...based on his overwhelming assurance at NAB 2013 that the fiasco of 2012 can and will not repeat itself.

I'm sick of these fanboys telling everyone "well, if you don't want to wait...then go buy another camera". That's not the point!

The point is we are in the palm of his hand because we thought maybe, just maybe he's telling the truth this time. We believed him, we went along with it. And now the lies and complete disregard for customer service are spiraling out of control...and yet, he doesn't have the decency to stand up and face the beast that he has created.

BMD needs to be served a nice big piece of humble pie.

Thats the thing. We're not ordering toys, we're ordering tool to work. And for many of us who take it serious, we make plans ahead, schedule things and try to progreed based on what BMD said, 'cause its supposed to a company be right and exact in whatever they told. BMD kidding with shipping dates not only make people mad, but break business plans for a lot of people who trusted and chose their product to make money.

I dont want to be the guy who always complain, but saying "thats ok, no problem at all" as some does is not acceptable.
Ulysses Paiva
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography