Cinema pocket 4K lenses

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Kye Leslie

Re: Cinema pocket 4K lenses

PostTue Jun 13, 2023 4:06 am

bobosola wrote:Also, the problem with getting refused entry to famous landmarks while carrying pro-looking gear is very real - last time I got refused I had a BMPCC4K with a zoom lens, microphone and monopod. They made me take off the monopod and mic, and would also very likely refuse a gimbal big enough to carry a BMPCC4K.

One thing that I think is worse than being barred from a location is the fear of being barred, because there are never any clear rules that you can just be sure to follow.
I was visiting a large temple in Bangkok and there were signs about which cameras were allowed - 8mm film cameras were ok and 16mm film cameras were not! It's pretty difficult to tell if the security guards would classify my GH5 as an 8mm or 16mm film camera...

Due to this fear, I tend to make things as small as possible so I stay clear of these issues. The other thing that happens is that when I shoot with the GH5 / 17.5mm F0.95 lens / Rode VideoMic Pro setup I get a lot more shots where random people in the background are just staring at the camera than if I'm shooting with the GX85 or my phone. No-one talks about the effect that the camera has on the people in the shot, but that's real too.

rNeil H

PostTue Jun 13, 2023 4:43 am

I was just doing some lens testing with my BMPCC4K at a local airport during a WWII air display & flyby event. Hand held in my Smallrig cage w battery, Rode shotgun, and SSD mounted.

Another guy had a kitted out setup with a large gimbal and focusing setup and a large-ish shotgun mic mounted on an arm off the gimbal.

A few people looked at me while shooting, but most everyone stood and stared at him and his rig.

Not very low key, one could say. Nice kit though ... ;-)

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Kye Leslie

PostSun Jun 18, 2023 10:38 am

Just stumbled upon this, in case you needed further convincing that camera size matters as a tourist... these vloggers were prevented from filming in a museum, and they said it's normally the case, and that it's often related to the microphone, which for me translates as "looking pro".
Earlier in the video they showed that they have a DSLR on a gimbal.

Go to 3:10 for when they mention it:

I've never been prevented from filming somewhere, but I keep the camera size to an absolute minimum, with the largest rig I've used being a GH5 + Voigtlander 17.5mm F0.95 lens + Rode Videomic Pro+ and the smallest rig I've used as simply being my phone.

Uli Plank

PostSun Jun 18, 2023 12:01 pm

I wonder how many security guards don’t know how good a top smartphone can be these days, far beyond 16mm. In SE-Asia in particular, where everybody is running about doing selfies in front of the museum exhibits, instead of shooting the objects.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.7, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
Sonoma 14.5 with 19b3 (sandbox)
SE, UltraStudio Monitor G3

rick.lang

PostSun Jun 18, 2023 12:42 pm

Uli, I guess the fact that someone is pointing a camera at the painting instead of themselves could be evidence for the museum security that they’re a pro!
Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostSun Jun 18, 2023 12:50 pm

For sure!
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.7, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
Sonoma 14.5 with 19b3 (sandbox)
SE, UltraStudio Monitor G3

Kye Leslie

PostMon Jun 19, 2023 12:12 am

Uli Plank wrote:I wonder how many security guards don’t know how good a top smartphone can be these days, far beyond 16mm. In SE-Asia in particular, where everybody is running about doing selfies in front of the museum exhibits, instead of shooting the objects.

My experience with non-photography people is this:
1) people have no clue what kind of quality is possible with various cameras
2) anything larger than a 35mm film camera and vintage 50mm F2 lens is a "big camera" and must take "professional" photos
3) any rig that is more than a camera body and lens (and potentially a tripod) can make you a "professional" depending on the person you're dealing with - if there are cables visible then you're definitely professional

That's why my preferred rig is a GX85 and small lens. It's at/below the FF film camera size threshold, but it shoots 4K 100Mbps, has IBIS, viewfinder and tilt screen, and fast/reliable AF-S with the right lenses. The image is as good/better than most broadcast content from more than a decade or so ago, which means that the camera isn't the limitation on the quality of my travel videos - that is editing / sound design / structure / etc.

Since social media has made cameras and images trendy there seems to be a myopic focus on the image, without much attention paid to anything beyond it. Compared to how much content there on camera specifications, there is practically no content on editing or sound design at all.. I suspect it's mostly just people trying to buy their way to better results, when good films are made with skill and not equipment.
Previous

Return to Cinematography