Camera Shipping Update: 1/14

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

rick.lang

Re: Camera Shipping Update: 1/14

PostTue Jan 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Nikolay Smirnov wrote:Just got some information from not an "official" reseller in Russia, Moscow, that they have 86 cameras waiting at the warehouse for customers to pick them up.

Is this some sort of scam or is this information true about Russian shipments, Christine?

I don't really want to be robbed or anything.

When it sounds too good to be true, it isn't. Keep your rubles in your pocket.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Nikolay Smirnov

PostTue Jan 15, 2013 9:07 pm

The problem is I'm not in any actual pre-order list, even in Moscow. I ordered in September from USA thinking it could be faster, but canceled.

I think it's a long wait for me, to actually see cameras on the store shelves.
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

Bill Rich

PostTue Jan 15, 2013 9:22 pm

This was mentioned earlier but it is quite key to when everyone will get their cameras..

It's not when you placed your order.. but when your reseller placed their batch order and how many cameras were in that order.. So if you ordered a camera on November 21.. and your reseller ordered say 25 BMCC's as a bulk order in April because they were already receiving pre-orders.. if you were order number 25 when you placed your order.. The camera you ordered in November will actually be part of that April bulk order.. in contrast there are resellers that only place an order when they receive an order.. so if you ordered in July.. your reseller will at that point order your camera..

So that explains why you might see someone that ordered a camera in November get their camera before someone that ordered in July.
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

Tom

PostTue Jan 15, 2013 9:42 pm

Bill Rich wrote:This was mentioned earlier but it is quite key to when everyone will get their cameras..

It's not when you placed your order.. but when your reseller placed their batch order and how many cameras were in that order.. So if you ordered a camera on November 21.. and your reseller ordered say 25 BMCC's as a bulk order in April because they were already receiving pre-orders.. if you were order number 25 when you placed your order.. The camera you ordered in November will actually be part of that April bulk order.. in contrast there are resellers that only place an order when they receive an order.. so if you ordered in July.. your reseller will at that point order your camera..

So that explains why you might see someone that ordered a camera in November get their camera before someone that ordered in July.

I understand this, and I can believe it as an explanation. It does however seem a bit silly for this to be the case when only official resellers can buy direct from BMD and so the end user is at the mercy of the official resellers in their own country. It also means that things like time-zones can put a large part of the world at a disadvantage. If a major product is announced while half the world's resellers are out of office hours, it hardly seems fair. I know, I know, life isn't fair - yada yada, but if the end result is pissing off the end users, it doesn't seem like a good strategy.

Perhaps BMD would provide us with the information of this is indeed the case, and therefore what order each reseller is listed. (but I very much doubt they would divulge this info - but you have to ask :-p )

From what I have seen at the moment, B+H are getting tens of cameras a week, other major resellers are getting 2 a week, and many many more are getting 1-none. Obviously I don't have any real data, I only know from forums and from speaking to my own reseller, but I suspect it is accurate.
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

Andy Smith

PostTue Jan 15, 2013 9:50 pm

I've come to the same findings Tom. It's only 15 days into the New Year, but it's not obvious to me that there is a preference for North America specifically B&H. Maybe it'll change in the near future.

sean mclennan

PostTue Jan 15, 2013 11:03 pm

so many people don't understand the retail supply chain...

BnH, CVS, whoever places orders with BM. As Bill mentioned earlier, B&H could have ordered 100 cameras from day 1, even if they only had 60 preorders, BM doesn't know this. All they know is which retailer ordered how many cameras and the date/times they made the order.

They don't know that (for ficticious example) that Bill orders his camera 88th in line worldwide, from this specific retailer. So he needs to get the 88th camera manufactured, sent to his retailer.

It just doesn't work that way.

Ideally, BM (from the sounds of it) are asking retailers to be patient and they are sending partial orders. Dozen cameras here, 5 cameras there. Of course a customer that orders a lot, say B&H, is going to get more cameras because they have a larger outstanding order.

This is why I asked Grant to provide an estimate when he thinks they can be "caught up" with their backlogged orders.

If the news was good, they would have said something. So I think the news is still grim. Months before they're caught up :\

Hope I'm wrong :?

Bill Rich

PostTue Jan 15, 2013 11:10 pm

It is my understanding that cameras are not being distributed directly from BlackMagic Design.. but rather (at least in the US) the U.S. distributer for BMD.. So for what I can see BMD has nothing to do with who actually gets the cameras and when.. but rather the distributer. So resellers do not order direct to BMD.. but rather the Distributer.
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

JON s

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 12:41 am

If anyone is looking for a more specific date, I have one. February 1st. That is the day that I will have to cancel my pre-order for the camera if I don't have a more specific time frame for my camera. This message is really intended for the people of BMD. I would really like to have a camera, it looks fantastic. But, I can't make plans based on vague speculation from the manufacturer. I am not looking for a day specific estimation, more or less a several week time frame. You guys could save me a lot of trouble if you were just a little more forthright with the number of cameras you are shipping. If you can't get ship out my order for a few months, tell me now and I will be a lot less aggravated than if I wait 3 months to find out for myself the hard way. I am willing to wait, but I need some solid information. I feel like it's time for all of us consumers to start giving BMD our timeline of patience.

Jim Froom

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 1:52 am

All you people that think your going to get an MFT soon, good luck.

I ordered the day the camera was announced. I believe they had over 60-80 orders in April/May last year. I was number 6 on that first day.

Since I don't have a camera nor I have been contacted to say I'm getting one anytime soon, I got to believe since they are going to fill the back-orders first, the MFT's are a long way off. Probably after NAB at best. Heck, might not even see EOS version by then. As of 10 days ago, they hadn't received any cameras.

I'm probably going to join the list of those giving up. Such a colossal waste of time checking in to see what's going on.

Seriously disappointed 9 months since I ordered. No reaching out, nothing, nada.
Jim Froom

Darryl Gregory

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 3:13 am

jfro wrote:All you people that think your going to get an MFT soon, good luck.

I ordered the day the camera was announced. I believe they had over 60-80 orders in April/May last year. I was number 6 on that first day.

Since I don't have a camera nor I have been contacted to say I'm getting one anytime soon, I got to believe since they are going to fill the back-orders first, the MFT's are a long way off. Probably after NAB at best. Heck, might not even see EOS version by then. As of 10 days ago, they hadn't received any cameras.

I'm probably going to join the list of those giving up. Such a colossal waste of time checking in to see what's going on.

Seriously disappointed 9 months since I ordered. No reaching out, nothing, nada.

Did you learn your lesson? Never ever order a camera on the first day of pre-orders, I'm that guy who waits....Just long enough to see the "Chosen" few who get their (Dirty Sell out) hands on the camera and show us what it can do, only then I make a decision as to if and when I will part with any of my $$.
By the way not all the camera bloggers are sell outs, I'm sure you all know whom to trust and who is just making a living off advertizement and hit counts, and neither one is a bad thing, but I choose to read bloggers who have nothing to gain from a camera review.

Let me update this post and just say,
The more who cancel their orders the faster the rest of us get ours,
Not such a bad thing all around, you buy something else that works for you, the rest of us who ordered later get what we wanted faster.

Cheers

Thomas Tamura

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 3:57 am

I pre-ordered from B&H on April 26th. Just found out yesterday that my camera is shipping today. Right after I read this update, I got a call form the fraud protection on my credit card confirming a charge from B&H. For Everyone estimating their shipping date there's a post from someone who pre-ordered on the 21st and he got his last week - I think. I'm sure there's lots of places selling the camera, but it looks like if you got on board early, like me, you should be getting it soon.

billmanolios

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 5:12 am

As someone said earlier, I believe that things will appear to be progressing much more quickly once they get beyond the initial pre-order rush. Or maybe that's just the optimist in me.

Art Roberts

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 6:13 am

[b]"jfro wrote
[All you people that think your going to get an MFT soon, good luck.

Seriously disappointed 9 months since I ordered. No reaching out, nothing, nada./quote][/b]
[quote]

Hey Jim, if you're really serious about cancelling out, I wouldn't mind trading your spot for say ..a bottle of beer.

popcornflix

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 8:06 am

eddietor wrote:When they say "ready", I believe they mean the body, MFT lens mount and everything else EXCEPT the sensor. They are putting the first big batch of sensors in the EF units which were ordered earlier, then putting sensors as more become available into the MFTs which are "ready" to accept them.

Christine Peterson wrote:Exactly.

Please start shipping MFT to the earliest preorders. It's the right thing to do. Otherwise, BMD is breaking their word.

When BMD announced the MFT, they promised there would be "no penalty" for changing an EF order for an MFT order.

Like other customers, I ordered an EF in April, then changed to MFT (with "no penalty") as soon as it was announced in September. I was first in line for the EF, now I'm first in line for the MFT.

My money has been tied up in the BMDCC just as long as the EF customers who are getting their cameras now. I've been inconvenienced just as much by BMD's delays and manufacturing problems.

Now BMD has the MFTs ready, just in need of sensors. There is no technical problem with manufacturing the MFTs, no supplier issue out of BMD's control.

The only reason BMD is not shipping MFTs to early customers like me is that they decided not to. BMD chose to break their word to pre-order customers like me, and penalize us for changing our order to MFT.

That's not right. BMD should keep their promise. Your reputation is only as good as your word.

BMD should start putting sensors in MFTs in small volume, and ship them to those of us who have been waiting since April.

(Unless BMD is working to ship an Active MFT instead of passive. Then just tell us, and we'll stop complaining and be happy to wait.)

micklindquist

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 9:26 am

I paid in full May 2012 from PowerMedia in Sydney and still not a peep - I leave for a shoot in Germany this Sat (19/1) and need a BMCC. Please BMD I need some love

Samjack

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 11:28 am

popcornflix wrote:
eddietor wrote:When they say "ready", I believe they mean the body, MFT lens mount and everything else EXCEPT the sensor. They are putting the first big batch of sensors in the EF units which were ordered earlier, then putting sensors as more become available into the MFTs which are "ready" to accept them.

Christine Peterson wrote:Exactly.

Please start shipping MFT to the earliest preorders. It's the right thing to do. Otherwise, BMD is breaking their word.

When BMD announced the MFT, they promised there would be "no penalty" for changing an EF order for an MFT order.

Like other customers, I ordered an EF in April, then changed to MFT (with "no penalty") as soon as it was announced in September. I was first in line for the EF, now I'm first in line for the MFT.

My money has been tied up in the BMDCC just as long as the EF customers who are getting their cameras now. I've been inconvenienced just as much by BMD's delays and manufacturing problems.

Now BMD has the MFTs ready, just in need of sensors. There is no technical problem with manufacturing the MFTs, no supplier issue out of BMD's control.

The only reason BMD is not shipping MFTs to early customers like me is that they decided not to. BMD chose to break their word to pre-order customers like me, and penalize us for changing our order to MFT.

That's not right. BMD should keep their promise. Your reputation is only as good as your word.

BMD should start putting sensors in MFTs in small volume, and ship them to those of us who have been waiting since April.

(Unless BMD is working to ship an Active MFT instead of passive. Then just tell us, and we'll stop complaining and be happy to wait.)

+1
And to those who say EF announced first and MFT later so expect EF to ship first, I have this to say. Neither were up and shipping due to sensor problems until recently. July 2012 and December 2012 release dates have passed so whatever comes from January 2013 and hence forward should be treated as a single pre-order which accomodate people who orderd the EF early and then switched to MFT.

David Chapman

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 1:33 pm

I know this is becoming a place to vent for some people. And yes, I realize waiting can be very, very frustrating.

The hard thing to swallow here is this: It doesn't matter when a single one of us preordered. It matters when the reseller preordered. People have said this quite a bit and talked about their reseller asking for payment in full. In fact, most resellers didnt ask for much up front. I'm sure the resellers (B&h and others) paid up front, or at least a large chunk. We are talking about a reseller line, not a customer line. Blame the place you ordered from, not the company making the camera to order.

I bet you that B&H doesn't want to start filling MFT orders before they get well into selling their EF preorders and getting some money back. And because of the lengthy wait already, who knows if they did a lighter preorder of the MTF? All of these questions won't mean anything in a month or two because they seem to be getting back into a higher production.

Just keep in mind that Black Magic might still be filling preorders from company's at NAB or the week of. They won't be sending out product for preorders that took place months after. I'm sure there were thousands ordered that week. Just got to get through that first stack is all.
David Chapman
Just another creative dude with a camera.

Eric Santiago

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 1:52 pm

Is there an identifier on the BMCC body?
My Scarlet is #03440.
It might give us an idea of how many are made...maybe :)

baforest

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 5:31 pm

popcornflix wrote:Please start shipping MFT to the earliest preorders. It's the right thing to do. Otherwise, BMD is breaking their word.

They are not breaking their word. That agreement was NOT with BMD but the company in which YOU ORDERED FROM! Why are people not realizing this still?
Bruce Forest
Ordered: Sept. 7, 2012

popcornflix

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 5:51 pm

davechap wrote:I know this is becoming a place to vent for some people. And yes, I realize waiting can be very, very frustrating.

I can take the waiting. It's the broken promise and the arbitrary penalty that I find frustrating.

davechap wrote:It doesn't matter when a single one of us preordered. It matters when the reseller preordered.

My reseller ordered immediately. They were one of the first to get an EF mount BMDCC, before the sensor problem was even fixed. They told me it would have been mine, except I was now first in line for the MFT. They shipped the EF to the guy who was after me in line.

davechap wrote:All of these questions won't mean anything in a month or two because they seem to be getting back into a higher production.

Well, being shoved back a month or two in line means a lot to some of us. If it doesn't mean anything to you, great. Drop a note to BMD and tell them that you'll give up your spot so they can ship a MFT to someone who can make use of the extra months with the camera.

davechap wrote:Just keep in mind that Black Magic might still be filling preorders from company's at NAB or the week of. They won't be sending out product for preorders that took place months after.

You're missing the point. There are a number of us who ordered immediately, then changed to MFT as soon as possible, under the promise that there would be "no penalty" for changing orders. Like I said, I was first in line on both orders.

Samjack said it best:

Samjack wrote:Neither were up and shipping due to sensor problems until recently. July 2012 and December 2012 release dates have passed so whatever comes from January 2013 and hence forward should be treated as a single pre-order which accomodate people who orderd the EF early and then switched to MFT.

BMD should keep their promise and start shipping MFTs to those of us who ordered the EF early and changed to MFT.

popcornflix

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 5:57 pm

baforest wrote:They are not breaking their word. That agreement was NOT with BMD but the company in which YOU ORDERED FROM! Why are people not realizing this still?

I'd agree with you if you were right. ;)

The promise came from BMD, not from our dealers. The dealer repeated it to the customers long after BMD announced its promise publicly.

BMD missed the release date of both cameras because of technical problems. Customers who switched early orders from EF to MFT should have MFT shipped to them at the same time as the early EF orders are shipping.

BMD is choosing to break their promise. They can choose to do the right thing if they want.

baforest

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 6:12 pm

popcornflix wrote:
baforest wrote:They are not breaking their word. That agreement was NOT with BMD but the company in which YOU ORDERED FROM! Why are people not realizing this still?

I'd agree with you if you were right. ;)

The promise came from BMD, not from our dealers. The dealer repeated it to the customers long after BMD announced its promise publicly.

BMD missed the release date of both cameras because of technical problems. Customers who switched early orders from EF to MFT should have MFT shipped to them at the same time as the early EF orders are shipping.

BMD is choosing to break their promise. They can choose to do the right thing if they want.

It is an agreement from your dealer. BMD does not know who swapped their orders so therefore cannot know who to take care of with the MFT cameras. They only know what companies put in their orders and when. They do not know you were #33 in line and decided to change mount so you get special privlege over others. This is a simple fact that you, and many others, are not grasping. There are also many people who ordered MFT without preordering EF. BMD does not know those people from anyone else. They only manufactur the cameras. Everything else is up to the retailor that everyone ordered from. So what simple part of this do you not actually understand? Is it that BMD does not know you and that you preordered one camera then switched? Or is it that a technical issue threw their entire company behind so they are trying to get as much done as possible.

What you were promised, by your dealer, is that if you swapped from EF to MFT you will get your MFT camera before those that preordered MFT before you because you were already waiting for the EF version. You were not promised by BMD that you will get whichever version as #33 from the company you had ordered from. They cannot possibly know that without a long process of business dealings and contact from the distributors and dealers. Doing business as many people are demanding will slow the entire process down even further than it is right now.
Bruce Forest
Ordered: Sept. 7, 2012

Albert N. Romero

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 6:19 pm

Is complicated, i think BMD doesent know how many customers have switched from EF to MTF....
I suppose they do the shipping in coherence, i mean, the first date for the EF was july 2012 and they anounced MTF in september, for december. There are a few months difference, and that should be respected.

People who took an agreement with HIS SELLER, to swicht to MTF and not losee the queue, even if the EF
camera was on time, they should wait till December. If they were -for example- first place and in october moved to MTF, i understand that they go to first position, even other people ordred in september...

You need to understand, if u do that, other people can rage in the same way. "Why i must wait more for the EF? They switched for a camera that was anounced later and the shipping was planned for 6 months later than EF."

I dont know if im xplaining well

Nikolay Smirnov

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 6:52 pm

Just got an information that Blackmagic uses microchip from ZTE in the cameras.

Is that also true?

if so, than there really are 86 cameras in Moscow right now, because I've already seen 12 in the studio of TV broadcast.
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

Jarateng

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 7:39 pm

Mr Grant. Was the update early Jan 2013 or 2014 ?

Tom

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 7:53 pm

Jarateng wrote:Mr Grant. Was the update early Jan 2013 or 2014 ?

Again, just a few pages back you actually reposted the update you are asking for from Grant that he gave a few days ago.
Tom Majerski

Jarateng

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 8:15 pm

Tom wrote:

Again, just a few pages back you actually reposted the update you are asking for from Grant that he gave a few days ago.

Tom, I'm speaking to Grant....gimme a break. What I posted was a reply from BnH which was from this forum n I just shared it. I now question Grant on when he promised to update ...... Please !!!!

bhook

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 8:20 pm

Jarateng wrote:I now question Grant on when he promised to update ......

I feel pretty confident that Grant will not be l8 for his next promised upd8...he made no commitment at all for another upd8. I have a feeling we got our last upd8 ever. :?

Tom

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 8:48 pm

Jarateng wrote:
Tom wrote:

Tom, I'm speaking to Grant....gimme a break. What I posted was a reply from BnH which was from this forum n I just shared it. I now question Grant on when he promised to update ...... Please !!!!

No what you posted WAS the update, BnH reposted it to you, and you posted it back on the same place it came from in the first place. Go and read the first page in this thread.

The "early January" update is what this actual thread is! It was posted 2 days ago!
Tom Majerski

Albert N. Romero

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 9:08 pm

Tom wrote:

Jarateng wrote:Again, just a few pages back you actually reposted the update you are asking for from Grant that he gave a few days ago.

No what you posted WAS the update, BnH reposted it to you, and you posted it back on the same place it came from in the first place. Go and read the first page in this thread.

The "early January" update is what this actual thread is! It was posted 2 days ago!

Great, even my dog enjoyed it, i believe that in one or two days, bh will post something again and the story will continue.

the real Loopers

TuTodd

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 10:07 pm

I just got off of the phone with B&H because I read some guy's post on here about getting his camera this or next week. He bought his on April 26, 2012. I bought my BMCC from B&H the first week of May 2012. B&H just seconds ago told me after calling their buyer that I was in the first 200 cameras to go out from them. ...sounds promising, right? RIGHT! ...then he proceeded to tell me that they have received and shipped only 38 total cameras.

That sounds terrible. But the other day when I called they said they had shipped only 10 cameras. Maybe things are looking up.?.?.? ...that is if they have really received and shipped 28 new cameras in just the matter of days.

Also, B&H told me that they have sold a total of 880 units and people are still placing orders everyday.

David Chapman

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 2:11 am

I've never been able to get any info like that from B&H, especially an acknowledgment that they sent any! But I've seen people with B&H boxes in unboxing videos.

B&H shipped mine Tuesday and it's supposed to arrive Friday. It was ordered on May 4. Since you were the first week also, it might be shipping very soon. Another friend that ordered in April at Full Compass got a shipping notice today too.
David Chapman
Just another creative dude with a camera.

TuTodd

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 2:57 am

davechap wrote:I've never been able to get any info like that from B&H, especially an acknowledgment that they sent any! But I've seen people with B&H boxes in unboxing videos.

B&H shipped mine Tuesday and it's supposed to arrive Friday. It was ordered on May 4. Since you were the first week also, it might be shipping very soon. Another friend that ordered in April at Full Compass got a shipping notice today too.

Man, did you just get my hopes up!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Dave Dominguez

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 4:38 am

davechap wrote:I've never been able to get any info like that from B&H, especially an acknowledgment that they sent any! But I've seen people with B&H boxes in unboxing videos.

May 4th? I ordered may 17th from B&H. i'm keeping my fingers crossed for mine soon.
https://vimeo.com/daviddominguez

Samjack

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 4:39 am

mhood wrote:
Jarateng wrote:I now question Grant on when he promised to update ......

I feel pretty confident that Grant will not be l8 for his next promised upd8...he made no commitment at all for another upd8. I have a feeling we got our last upd8 ever. :?

As long as cameras are shipping in volume to the point that backorders before the end of 2012 are filled within the next month or two then we probably don't need to hear updates from Grant. My feeling are Grant will still need to be updating us for many moons to come :cry:

JorgeDeSilva

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 10:22 am

Here is it ;)

FULL REVIEW SOON!
I'm gonna split my review on 2 or 3 parts.

I'm gonna test directly with low end cameras (DSLR to FS100/700), and to high end (Scarlet/Epic/Sony F5/55 and Alexa). Let's see what happen here...

My first feeling after using it with a 50mm lens... the rolling shutter it's really bad... And I think is worse than my 7D... but... In my full test I will see that in detail. Stay Tuned.

Best,
JDS
Jorge De Silva - Photography & Filmmaking
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1843499/

rune

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 2:37 pm

Just off the phone with B&H... They could not give me any information at all... Still waiting on my mid June 2012 Pre-Order... Starting to get a little boring at this point.

ranger9913

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 2:46 pm

I ordered 5/11 from B&H and I called Tuesday after people reported shipment notices from B&H. My guy told me he wasn't aware of any cameras that have been shipped yet. I told him people on the forums have pictures and unboxing videos of their cameras from B&H and he basically had no comment to that and stated he was not aware of cameras shipping yet but said they hope to have them soon.

I also asked him to explain why my ordered changed from "back ordered standard" to "new order processing" about a month ago to which he also had no explanation.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 5:29 pm

JorgeDeSilva wrote:... the rolling shutter it's really bad ... And I think is worse than my 7D ...

Hi Jorge: Congrats on your receiving your camera! Do you know how the 7D rolling shutter compares to the 5DM3? In Marco Solorio's careful side-by-side test, the BMCC & 5DM3 had identical rolling shutter (screen grab attached). See at the 9:38 point in his video (download the 1GB version for best quality):

bmcc vs 5dm3 rolling shutter 9m38s.jpg
bmcc vs 5dm3 rolling shutter 9m38s.jpg (137.42 KiB) Viewed 14314 times

JorgeDeSilva

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 7:13 pm

Hello :) I remember that well. I need to fully test the camera, so I can give better details and opinions ;) Gimme some days :) Video coming soon too :)
Jorge De Silva - Photography & Filmmaking
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1843499/

thomasblakeramsey

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 7:18 pm

Well after posting on the last camera update thread that "I walked up to B&H and they said they hoped to have the camera preorders done by Feb." I called them today. Basically the guy I spoke to said that the Purchasing department told him (during my phone call) that they have been receiving orders but based on my purchase (September) my order would be fulfilled "hopefully" in 8 to 10 weeks.

The guy I previously spoke to, talking about how it could ship way sooner than 8 to 10 weeks, sound way more confident. So at this point, I don't know, it's all up in the air. I have shoots with major fashion clients here in NYC going on now, but I still have to use my Canon. I was really hoping to use the BMCC for this kind of work, but I suppose that is out the window at this point.

It seems that that anyone that calls B&H gets a different answer, haha. I wish we had someone on the inside that could get use REAL shipping volume info.

Whitehorsevideo

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 7:22 pm

Spoke to B&H Customer Service Rep who says product is coming in and going out in "very limited quantity". Won't tell me how many have gone out, how many are ahead of me, how many on the list or anything useful. Ordered mine on 4th of July last year.

Carlos Delilah

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 7:40 pm

its retarded that blackmagic is just sitting around with an mft model thats just waiting to be produced in mass quantities. Unless its specs are improved, the cameras technology is already ageing without it even existing. This thing was announced a while ago and isnt even on an assembly line yet.

thomasblakeramsey

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 7:53 pm

Yes, I am afraid that maybe by the time I get the first model of the EF a second model will debut. Hopefully future firmware updates will make up for the wait.

dirandy

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 7:56 pm

Technology does certainly change quickly however not that quickly. Just be patient and one day when your camera is in hand you will look back and not think any of all this.

Jason Greene

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 10:21 pm

cls105 wrote:its retarded that blackmagic is just sitting around with an mft model thats just waiting to be produced in mass quantities. Unless its specs are improved, the cameras technology is already ageing without it even existing. This thing was announced a while ago and isnt even on an assembly line yet.

I don't think that BMD is producing any BMCC model (EF or MFT) in mass quantities, by the looks of things! Whether they are capable of doing so with either model in the near future still remains to be seen, I think.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 10:30 pm

Jason Greene wrote:
cls105 wrote:its retarded that blackmagic is just sitting around with an mft model thats just waiting to be produced in mass quantities. Unless its specs are improved, the cameras technology is already ageing without it even existing. This thing was announced a while ago and isnt even on an assembly line yet.

I don't think that BMD is producing any BMCC model (EF or MFT) in mass quantities, by the looks of things! Whether they are capable of doing so with either model in the near future still remains to be seen, I think.

The BMCC-EF is shipping and production is ramping up. People in many parts of the world are reporting receiving their cameras, more and more every week.

Production of a product like this doesn't magically go from zero to thousands of units in a day.

Meanwhile, there doesn't appear to be another camera currently shipping with anything close to the BMCC's specs & software bundle at anywhere near its price.

I'm looking forward to my BMCC-EF arriving ASAP. Cheers.

mhartle

PostFri Jan 18, 2013 12:42 am

Hey Guys,

I spoke with the outfit I ordered from and I received the following info. I've decided NOT to discuss specifics on the dealer as I don't want to compromise them or their relationship with Blackmagic. They didn't ask me NOT to repeat it so I feel ok sharing it here.

......and I was also told that they are going to ship 1x camera to EVERY dealer before the next shipment goes out to dealers who have received cameras. Not sure how long that will take. I did also learn that Blackmagic has been delivering between 4 and 10 cameras per week for the past 4x weeks. Up until December 7, only 14 cameras had been shipped in total to dealers in the USA.

I was starting to get excited, but based on this communication, it kinda seems that was premature. Still very optimistic though... really excited to get this thing someday.

-m

10s

PostFri Jan 18, 2013 3:00 am

Here's a reply to my order from B&H I recieved today:

Please be advised that the BLACK-MAGIC BLACKMAGIC CINEMA CAMERA MFT MOUNT you have on backorder is expected to arrive at our warehouse hopefully in 2-3 months. As soon as we receive it from the vendor/manufacturer we will promptly ship it to you. We apologize for this delay and for any inconvenience.

B&H Customer Service

Order placed 10/14/12, ECD: April 15 time frame. I would expect those who ordered sooner will have theirs arrive approximately 30-40 days or so earlier than mine. I wonder if they (B&H) know any more than we do. I'm almost at the tipping point and ready to pull the plug. I guess my GHs will work for many of my smaller projects and then I can wait & see what NAB brings us.

Felix Steinhardt

PostFri Jan 18, 2013 1:21 pm

If they only made 4-10 cameras per week they would never make profit with this cam.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography