Camera Shipping Update: 11/15

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

thejasonbee

Re: Camera Shipping Update: 11/15

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 2:17 am

Until I get my BMCC, I have to rely on paper and pencil. In fact, I wonder if I could storyboard this entire film before the camera gets released. Hmmm....

c.carlos.n

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 2:20 am

JB have you heard anything?
Carlos E Núñez

Jarrett Craig

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 3:58 am

Was a silent observer for quite sometime, just updated my page to comply with the full name request and here's a link to an old, outdated, reel. New one to come. Since some of you have been so generous as to include links to your work. A very impressive and high level of work being produced by the members of this forum. I look forward to future threads where we all have BMC footage to showcase.

cheers,

http://smokeshow.squarespace.com/cinematography/

Nick Bedford

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 4:19 am

Jarrett Craig wrote:Was a silent observer for quite sometime, just updated my page to comply with the full name request and here's a link to an old, outdated, reel. New one to come. Since some of you have been so generous as to include links to your work. A very impressive and high level of work being produced by the members of this forum. I look forward to future threads where we all have BMC footage to showcase.

cheers,

http://smokeshow.squarespace.com/cinematography/

Solid stuff! Thanks for posting your work. Looking forward to seeing what you shoot with the Cinema Camera.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

Eric Santiago

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 5:16 am

Good stuff Jarret, caught a few Heartlands on CBC, are you the principal on the last few seasons?
Just a tip, your BIO section text is killer on the eyes.
Great reel/work :)

lefty

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 5:20 am

Any news yet?

Jarrett Craig

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 6:32 am

Eric Santiago wrote:Good stuff Jarret, caught a few Heartlands on CBC, are you the principal on the last few seasons?
Just a tip, your BIO section text is killer on the eyes.
Great reel/work :)

Thanks for the feedback, the site is a work in progress. The fonts don't show up very well on mobile devices either. Once it's 100% design wise I will upload it to www.jarrettcraig.com. The squarespace is a temp holding area. I'm B cam op and 2nd Unit DP on Heartland for almost 5 seasons. Have had an opportunity to shoot a couple days of main unit as well. It's great to see everyone's work and websites. Still trying to sort all that out, the self promotion aspect of the biz.

Jason R. Johnston

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 8:45 am

Jarrett Craig wrote:Still trying to sort all that out, the self promotion aspect of the biz.

That part's a pain, but necessary. It's good to have my own cutting suite if you know what I mean. Your reel looks very nice, btw, Jarrett. Moby's a good choice. I like the earth-tones and I'm glad to see you're not afraid of a little lens artifacting if it's appropriate.

On fonts: my websites use the API at Google Fonts. I also don't generally have use for specific stylesheets for mobile devices, preferring instead to use the following so I don't have to compromise my already simple designs:

Code: Select all
html, body {-webkit-text-size-adjust:none;}

This works well with smart phones, which is generally what my clientele are using anyway. Cheers!
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

George Wharmby

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 12:05 pm

I know it's just adding into the lists of people saying they know anything, but Calumet just got in touch saying they haven't got a clue when it's coming and that '' there was a issue with the sensor and they recalled them back.Which there on the way to as ."

I guess that could mean it got sent out and recalled? Or maybe there is just some confusion.

Tom Sefton

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 12:17 pm

Holdan's (UK distributor) website in the UK lists the camera as available Q1 2013. Blackmagic UK have stated that some cameras have been delivered to end users in the UK, but they have no other news that they can pass on - has anyone in the UK received a camera who isn't a DOP who has been sent one, a forum or blog admin or a reseller for use as a demonstration model?

Our reseller has no other information either.
Tom Sefton
Owner
Pollen Studio
www.pollenstudio.co.uk

c.carlos.n

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 12:33 pm

¿Has anyone heard if resellers are canceling orders, since many people are canceling preorders?
Carlos E Núñez

Christian Schmeer

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 2:07 pm

c.carlos.n wrote:¿Has anyone heard if resellers are canceling orders, since many people are canceling preorders?

My reseller (CVP in the UK) said they won't be cancelling orders at the end of the year and will let the pre-orders run for as long as I'm willing to stick with it. I know some people mentioned a few weeks back that their reseller wants to cancel their pre-orders if the delays go into the new year (tax reasons or something?)
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Luke Armstrong

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 2:08 pm

Well, no surprise but incredibly frustrating - I just spoke with Dave from CVP and he very honestly confirmed to me that although they have not heard anything from BMD, he doesn't expect my order to be fulfilled before the end of this year at best - I'm at 62 on the list. Given I've ordered the EF mount, and the MFT was supposed to be shipping now, I'm underwhelmed with another BMD let down... I thought December shipping for the MFT would mean problems solved by now.

Has Grant taken his holiday or did he get runover or something terrible? Grant - you alive mate?

Actually, I think he's probably just gone back to his engineering roots and he's down at the production line single handedly building the cameras himself because the staff ran off! What a legend.
Last edited by Luke Armstrong on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luke Armstrong - Digital Compositor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4274789/

bhook

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 2:09 pm

cschmeer wrote:
c.carlos.n wrote:¿Has anyone heard if resellers are canceling orders, since many people are canceling preorders?

My reseller (CVP in the UK) said they won't be cancelling orders at the end of the year and will let the pre-orders run for as long as I'm willing to stick with it. I know some people mentioned a few weeks back that their reseller wants to cancel their pre-orders if the delays go into the new year (tax reasons or something?)

I think that pertained to US resellers...at least in my case it does. Your Tax Man might vary. ;)

Bill Rich

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 2:18 pm

My patience is wearing very.. very thin..
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

Christian Schmeer

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 2:21 pm

Luke Armstrong wrote:Actually, I think he's probably just gone back to his engineering roots and he's down at the production line single handedly building the cameras himself because the staff ran off! What a legend.

I sure hope BMD is taking care of the issues at the moment. At this point, no news isn't just frustrating anymore, it's weird... something must either be going horribly wrong or incredibly well. I just hope it's incredibly well for both our and BMD's sake...
www.christianschmeer.com

bhook

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 2:26 pm

cschmeer wrote:
Luke Armstrong wrote:Actually, I think he's probably just gone back to his engineering roots and he's down at the production line single handedly building the cameras himself because the staff ran off! What a legend.

I sure hope BMD is taking care of the issues at the moment. At this point, no news isn't just frustrating anymore, it's weird... something must either be going horribly wrong or incredibly well. I just hope it's incredibly well for both our and BMD's sake...

If things were going incredibly well, I suspect we'd know about it rather than watch more folks jump ship. But who knows?

c.carlos.n

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 2:33 pm

¿Christine????
Carlos E Núñez

Luke Armstrong

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 2:40 pm

mhood wrote:
cschmeer wrote:

If things were going incredibly well, I suspect we'd know about it rather than watch more folks jump ship. But who knows?

Their strategy makes no sense at all to to me, I've given up trying to second guess what they're going to do next.

I think the issue may lie with Grant and his team in Australia not really having a handle on the tone of conversation on these forums, though Christine does and I'm sure she reports back. Going from what Grant said in earlier posts, he's not interested, preferring to focus attention on getting the product made rather than talking to customers.

Time will tell what that means ultimately for the product and for the business... As you say, people are canceling - it seems like an idle threat that people keep making, but its happening! (my preorder spot keeps sliding! :D)

I guess we just have to hold on as long as we can!

c.carlos.n

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 2:42 pm

+1
Carlos E Núñez

Andy Fordham

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 3:30 pm

We ordered from CVP in the UK back in August for the EF mount.
We have just cancelled our pre-order for the BMCC.

Whilst I am sure that the camera when finally released, will be a great "Version 1" product, I am sure that Blackmagic will release the unit in the path of time. If time is what is required for extra development and testing that's fine.

The first generation of any new product though, will usually be hindered by hiccups, omissions and teething issues. Not forgetting software bugs, issues and requests. It seems in this case, that this is still exactly where BMC are, but whilst trying to get units out of the door.

It reminds me of Birger Engineering 3 years ago when trying to ship EF mounts for RED.

Once feedback is received by a wider range of users, not just beta testers, there will possibly be many changes to the design and usability for a more long term life than the Version 1, with regards to screens, power , crop factors, mount communications etc.

However current design and issues aside, I could have dealt with the niggles and "design features", it seems that trying to bring the unit to market so quickly even whilst it is during the development phase , should have been delayed. Once a camera is ready to be shipped, and that means quickly shipped, the details then should be made for Distributors to take orders.

Pre-orders are fine, but only after a manufacturing company has gone correctly through all the development runs and extensive testing.

Pre-orders for a product that may be shipping 6-12 months later, isn't really acceptable.

Although anyone purchasing a 1st Generation camera, should know the score and not put all your hopes into that single camera. Go Shoot on something, anything, and when it comes available, order.

Whilst I have seen some great BMCC footage online in great hands, I have seen some awful footage which looks like it could have been shot on the cheapest of cameras.

It isn't the camera that makes the picture, it is the imagination and view of that person behind the camera who takes the great shots, and for most of the time, decent lenses.

I will follow the progress of the camera, however, i look forward to see how it is received by the masses in the coming months .... year.

Andy
Kent, UK.
www.andyfordham.net
C300, BMCC,

Tom Sefton

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 3:59 pm

Not, THE Andy Fordham....?

We are probably going the same route - cancelled 2 orders and the remaining one is going RED after Christmas.
Tom Sefton
Owner
Pollen Studio
www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Andy Fordham

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 4:01 pm

Pollenstudio wrote:Not, THE Andy Fordham....?

We are probably going the same route - cancelled 2 orders and the remaining one is going RED after Christmas.

Lol, No not the darts player :)
Kent, UK.
www.andyfordham.net
C300, BMCC,

Tom Sefton

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 4:02 pm

D'oh! Thought it was a change in career path!
Tom Sefton
Owner
Pollen Studio
www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Graham Spice

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 4:22 pm

Time for an update, Grant. What's happening? Things seemed so close in your last update but now it has been another 2+ weeks. Let us know what the forecast is.

Nikolay Smirnov

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 4:24 pm

My resellers planned on receiving the camera on the dates of 15th, but by that time it will be a month of update delay...
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

Krikor Kouchian

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 4:27 pm

We are getting rumors here in France that unavailability could be due to lack of copyright of EF mount use, could that be? Pe-order was done in June, this is beginning to feel a bit weird.

Christian Schmeer

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 4:34 pm

krikorola wrote:We are getting rumors here in France that unavailability could be due to lack of copyright of EF mount use, could that be? Pe-order was done in June, this is beginning to feel a bit weird.

I believe if that was the case, BMD wouldn't be shipping cameras at all. They are, just at such a slow rate it would take years for every pre-order to be fulfilled. What we're waiting for is an update stating that the camera has gone into mass-production.
www.christianschmeer.com

Luke Armstrong

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 4:40 pm

krikorola wrote:We are getting rumors here in France that unavailability could be due to lack of copyright of EF mount use, could that be? Pe-order was done in June, this is beginning to feel a bit weird.

That's scary! If that were true though, why hasn't there been an announcement today that the MFT's are shipping en-masse?

Krikor Kouchian

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 4:41 pm

cschmeer wrote:

I believe if that was the case, BMD wouldn't be shipping cameras at all. They are, just at such a slow rate it would take years for every pre-order to be fulfilled. What we're waiting for is an update stating that the camera has gone into mass-production.

But are they shipping cameras in europe? None are available in france, some of the store are canceling pre orders. I know some stores had demos but nothing otherwise.
Are there any french owners around here?

Andy Smith

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 5:07 pm

You're talking about patents, not copyright. Have no idea about the law in France concerning patents but the longest you can patent a design or product in the U.K or U.S is twenty years, and i suspect that is true in France. Considering the EF mount was first introduced in 1987 the patent is at least out of date by 5 years, so BMD would have no trouble incorporating it into their product.

C A R

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 7:04 pm

Andy Smith wrote:

You're talking about patents, not copyright. Have no idea about the law in France concerning patents but the longest you can patent a design or product in the U.K or U.S is twenty years, and i suspect that is true in France. Considering the EF mount was first introduced in 1987 the patent is at least out of date by 5 years, so BMD would have no trouble incorporating it into their product.

i'd be willing to bet that there are multiple patents at work within the EF mount system, many of which are still protectable.

even then, all it takes is the slightest hint of a single violation and a company with deep pockets can tie up a smaller competitor for eons. i wouldn't doubt this scenario one bit, and if this is the case, the quick appearance of the MFT version of the bmcc makes even more sense.

there's definitely more at play here than dirty glass, and i'm guessing it will be a long time still - if ever - that the EF bmcc ships in quantity.
strongforthefuture.com | @scntfc | https://vimeo.com/48374201

Andy Smith

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 7:25 pm

I don't have the patent to hand so could be. But considering Kipon, Redrock and Birger have all developed products which have reversed engineered the Canon EF technology i doubt it. Even the Red cameras have smart ef mounts with autofocus, iris control and image stabilization.

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 7:39 pm

Andy Smith wrote:I don't have the patent to hand so could be. But considering Kipon, Redrock and Birger have all developed products which have reversed engineered the Canon EF technology i doubt it. Even the Red cameras have smart ef mounts with autofocus, iris control and image stabilization.

Indeed of all the potential other things that could be happening here in addition to sensor issues, patent issues doenst smell right.

Patent issue are genreally noisy and public. They also follow precident, and given there are a number of third party companies selling cameras fitted with the mount, lens manufacturers making lesnes for it and mount adaptors, this doesnt look good for a patent dispute, either being filed or being sucessful if it is.

baforest

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 7:53 pm

Ok, this is my first post on here, but I wanted to share with all of you something that made me feel slightly better on something else I'm waiting on word from.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/FcxA4w3KKLE

I hope you all enjoy this lack of news slightly better now by putting it to music :P

Bruce
Bruce Forest
Ordered: Sept. 7, 2012

C A R

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 8:09 pm

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks wrote:
Andy Smith wrote:I don't have the patent to hand so could be. But considering Kipon, Redrock and Birger have all developed products which have reversed engineered the Canon EF technology i doubt it. Even the Red cameras have smart ef mounts with autofocus, iris control and image stabilization.

Indeed of all the potential other things that could be happening here in addition to sensor issues, patent issues doenst smell right.

Patent issue are genreally noisy and public. They also follow precident, and given there are a number of third party companies selling cameras fitted with the mount, lens manufacturers making lesnes for it and mount adaptors, this doesnt look good for a patent dispute, either being filed or being sucessful if it is.

you guys are no fun at all... now is the time for rumor mongering!! when a vacuum is left due to a dearth of information, we need to fill it up with made up facts.

seriously, though. i don't think a patent dispute is at fault for the delay either, but i certainly think it's in the realm of possibility. it could be as simple as a disagreement over a licensing royalty. maybe blackmagic went ahead with their camera plans without ever consulting canon, and now canon wants $X per unit sold.
strongforthefuture.com | @scntfc | https://vimeo.com/48374201

Jesuan Soriano

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 8:22 pm

I think maybe the sensor supplier can not batch as many sensor as desired, or maybe they refuse to take charge ($) of the failed sensors, and they are now arguin who's going to pay all that time, effort and failed sensors....so they don't supply to BMD and it can not produce....

Jesus
Jesus Soriano

Albert N. Romero

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 9:16 pm

Jesuan wrote:I think maybe the sensor supplier can not batch as many sensor as desired, or maybe they refuse to take charge ($) of the failed sensors, and they are now arguin who's going to pay all that time, effort and failed sensors....so they don't supply to BMD and it can not produce....

Jesus

it will be the king of the fail-memes

DaleCampbellFilms

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 10:01 pm

OK I think everyone needs a laugh ;)

http://www.dalecampbelldop.com

George Wharmby

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 10:06 pm

DaleCampbellFilms wrote:OK I think everyone needs a laugh ;)

Even that video is still processing and not ready yet.... :D

P.s I want updates every 10 seconds till the video is processed.

DaleCampbellFilms

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 10:08 pm

That is actually perfect!!!! LMAO.

Still not there, youtube says it is taking longer than expected.

c.carlos.n

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 10:09 pm

Sra. Christina?
Carlos E Núñez

DaleCampbellFilms

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 10:11 pm

Still not there, a problem with the encoder their looking into it. Update soon.
Attachments
Screen shot 2012-12-03 at 22.07.02.png
Screen shot 2012-12-03 at 22.07.02.png (50.1 KiB) Viewed 10442 times

blackhillfilms

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 10:15 pm

Can't wait to see the Hitler video! The last one (where he found out about Finalcut Pro X taking over from Final Cut pro 7) was so funny!
Is this from the same source?

blackhillfilms

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 10:17 pm

Here's the link, hopefully this will cheer you up...

DaleCampbellFilms

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 10:18 pm

Nope I just did it myself! Had a good chuckle writing the dialogue.

DaleCampbellFilms

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 10:19 pm

To keep everyone in the loop -
The previous upload is having issues, I'm trying a fresh one which will hopefully resolve the issue.
I hope they don't feel the need to sensor this video when it arrives :lol:

DaleCampbellFilms

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 10:23 pm

IT IS UP!

Theodore Prentice

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 10:28 pm

Joe_g wrote:I find it odd as a fellow filmmaker to hear so many complaints not just about the wait, but that this camera specifically was on a personal wait list set aside to shoot a feature, or short or commercial with a great "director" in the waits.

Youre trying to apply a "professional" concept to non-professionals.

Selling your gear to "pre-order" a vaporware, pro-sumer, toy... Then complain about delays..endlessly, while making demands on BMD!
I remember hearing "enjoy your new camera" being snidely put when I mentioned we pulled the plug on 2 BMCC pre-orders a couple months back. Made quadruple that in a month shooting (yes it was a slow month :cry: ) , and STILL haven bought a new camera...yet!

Craigslist will be full of BMCCs once all the "cinematographers" dont sell one second of their awesome "Shot In RAW" footage and move on to the next thing (reminds me of the time I bought 2 5Ds for a song on CL, sold a music vid (with the price of the cameras built in), and then sold the cameras for a profit after the shoot!)

And to keep the thread relavent..
are the cameras shipping yet

:mrgreen:

thejasonbee

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 10:29 pm

I haven't laughed so hard in quite a while. Thanks for lightening the mood with some frank honesty, but really funny.

DaleCampbellFilms wrote:IT IS UP!

PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography