Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4k back focusing issue

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

mao790615

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4k back focusing issue

PostThu Oct 03, 2019 1:38 pm

I have a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4k and Metabone speedbooster ultra 0.7X and with canon 24-105mm lens.
I have problem back-focusing using BMPCC 4k, when I set my focus to an subject, without changing the our distance, I only change the zoom on the lens, but for some reason I lost focus during the process, meaning the focus point at 24mm is different at 105mm. Is there problem with the compatibility or other issue

Dune00z

Re: Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4k back focusing issue

PostThu Oct 03, 2019 3:01 pm

The lens loses focus when you zoom? This is not according to my knowledge a back focus problem. This is a normal issue with zooms that are not parfocal. I have never used a Canon L 24-105 that WAS parfocal. The issue may be exacerbated by the adapter since it might need micro adjustments to get the focal plane to be exactly where it should be on the sensor. You will see in many documentaries or faux documentaries (The Office style) where this problem actually aides in the aesthetic.

True zooms that are parfocal tend to cost much more than the common varifocal zooms that are on the market, such as the 24-105 F4 L.

Generally, it is a good idea to use varifocal zooms more like variable primes and not to use them like industry parfocal zooms, such as those glued to studio broadcast cameras.

mao790615 wrote:I have a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4k and Metabone speedbooster ultra 0.7X and with canon 24-105mm lens.
I have problem back-focusing using BMPCC 4k, when I set my focus to an subject, without changing the our distance, I only change the zoom on the lens, but for some reason I lost focus during the process, meaning the focus point at 24mm is different at 105mm. Is there problem with the compatibility or other issue

Denny Smith

PostThu Oct 03, 2019 4:28 pm

Additionally, cameras normally do not have a back focus adjustment. Some cameras with certain mounts, like PL mounts, can be shimmed to adjust inf. Focus. Back focus adjustments are found on Broadcast parfocal Zooms and some cine zooms. Still camera zooms are not real zoom lenses, but more of a variable focal length lens, and are not parfocal. The MFT mount in the Pocket 4/6K can not be shimmed, due to the lens contacts. Same goes for BMDs fixed EF Mount Cameras, like the Pocket 6K.

That said, Nikon’s new S Zooms for their Z cameras are parfocal on a Z6/7 Camera. Some Canon cameras can adjust the focus on the fly when zooming, to give the appearance the lens is parfocal, but this only works on the higher end Canon camera bodies.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Kaku Ito

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 9:55 pm

You can adjust back focus with your Speed Booster, go check out how to adjust the back focus on your Speed Booster. My Sigma zoom are working great with this adjustment.

On the other hand, I'm having problem with the back focus on the M. Zuiko zoom.

Does anyone know if there's shim sold for PCC4K?

Mark Foster

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 6:45 am

cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k