Steadycam still relevant in 2019?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

timbutt2

Re: Steadycam still relevant in 2019?

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 6:05 pm

May I just point everyone to this amazing site that still exists. It existed when I took Steadicam in college.

http://www.steadishots.org/list_popular.cfm

You can check out some of the best Steadicam shots based on the film, the operator, and it is a great resource for studying what has come before.

http://www.steadishots.com/shots/mp4/westWing_02.mp4
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

HykCIne

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 6:34 pm

timbutt2 wrote:I have a combination because I bought used. So the Vest and Arm are the Steadicam Zephyr and the Sled is the Aero 30.

What if I would be interested in purchasing Aero 30 https://tiffen.com/products/steadicam-aero-30-stabilizer-system , If I find the used one, that would be much better.

* My camera setup wont be more than 8kg, when Aero 30 holds up to 9kg, primarily I am going to run it with 6k pro and bunch of accessories.
* In movies majority of the steadicam parts we shoot in 24fps , correct?
* All parts from the Steadicam brand are interchangeable? Like arms, vests or sled?
* Is it possible to show me which part is calling sled, I am new enthusiast in this field.
* If I purchase Aero 30, it will be possible to rig in the future not heavy Arri or Red camera rigs?
*For wireless transmission system I am willing to use Teradek Ace500 which is discontinued, but have zero latency and costs cheap vs newest models.

Would be thankful for your answer.
Z Cam E2-F6 Pro / Tokina 11-20 / Canon 17-55 / Sigma 18-35 / Sigma 50-100 /

John Paines

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 7:31 pm

Nobody's said a word so far, but you do realize that it's not just a matter of putting on the vest (which may not be so easy in itself)? That Steadicam operation is a profession, and the techniques require lots of practice? You could also easily find that you can't manage without hands-on instruction or course work.

At least a gimbal is cheap, it's designed for simple operation and you can frame in such a way that bad operating isn't too obvious.

Also, don't expect to get shots like those in "The Shining". Most of the steadicam in that movie was shot with the operator in a wheelchair.

timbutt2

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 7:46 pm

bmpcc6k wrote:
timbutt2 wrote:I have a combination because I bought used. So the Vest and Arm are the Steadicam Zephyr and the Sled is the Aero 30.

What if I would be interested in purchasing Aero 30 https://tiffen.com/products/steadicam-aero-30-stabilizer-system , If I find the used one, that would be much better.

* My camera setup wont be more than 8kg, when Aero 30 holds up to 9kg, primarily I am going to run it with 6k pro and bunch of accessories.
* In movies majority of the steadicam parts we shoot in 24fps , correct?
* All parts from the Steadicam brand are interchangeable? Like arms, vests or sled?
* Is it possible to show me which part is calling sled, I am new enthusiast in this field.
* If I purchase Aero 30, it will be possible to rig in the future not heavy Arri or Red camera rigs?
*For wireless transmission system I am willing to use Teradek Ace500 which is discontinued, but have zero latency and costs cheap vs newest models.

Would be thankful for your answer.
Mobile at moment, but let me answer. Aero 30 new or used will come with all Aero 30 parts. The Vest is technically a Zephyr vest and can be used with a Zephyr rig as well. But Arm and asked with be Aero 30.

If you can be lucky enough to find used parts to piecemeal a rig together you may attempt it. But I got lucky with getting a used Zephyr Arm.

Be aware that most of these Steadicam use SDI and not HDMI. So with the Pocket 6K Pro you’re gonna want to either get a HDMI to SDI converter or you’re going to have to run the HDMI down the side of the rig to the monitor. This is why I wish Blackmagic would do a true Pro version of the Pocket with SDI instead of HDMI. Also native PL please.

Some Steadicam shots have shot off speed. So generally 24 FPS, but there are instances of off speed. For example Star Wars Episode VI Return of the Jedi used a Steadicam shooting 4 fps for the plate shots for the speeder bike chase. Also in the movie Elephant they used a Speed Ramp for going from regular motion to slow motion for some shots.

The parts slightly are interchangeable. The Vest can definitely be used either different Arms and Sleds since they keep the Zephyr Vest for the Aero 15 and 30. However, you should be aware that not all parts are interchangeable as some parts are designed for specific models.

The Sled is the part you attach the camera to. It’s the part with a gimbal and has the monitor and battery at the bottom half to act as a counterbalance on the post.

And, yes, it helps to get training. I had an 11-Week Course in College with a professional Steadicam Operator as my teacher. So we trained in the techniques and proper operation. Building and balancing the rig is an important part of the entire process. But then how you operate with the rig on is just as important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timbutt2

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 7:48 pm

John Paines wrote:Nobody's said a word so far, but you do realize that it's not just a matter of putting on the vest (which may not be so easy in itself)? That Steadicam operation is a profession, and the techniques require lots of practice? You could also easily find that you can't manage without hands-on instruction or course work.

At least a gimbal is cheap, it's designed for simple operation and you can frame in such a way that bad operating isn't too obvious.

Also, don't expect to get shots like those in "The Shining". Most of the steadicam in that movie was shot with the operator in a wheelchair.
Agreed! That’s why in my last reply I made sure to mention that I had an 11-Week Course in college with a professional operator as my teacher. And, even beyond that practice is pivotal.

John Brawley

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 8:33 pm

Bound for Glory in 1975 was the first feature film to use Steadicam.

Rocky was later.

The Shining was after Rocky.

Inventor Garret Brown was the Steadicam operator on all these films.

Garret Brown had been tinkering with the Steadicam prototypes for a few years before Bound For Glory.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Steve Fishwick

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 8:49 pm

John Brawley wrote:Bound for Glory in 1975 was the first feature film to use Steadicam.

Rocky was later.

No one can remember, Bound For Glory, John. It was a chance test shot on the, Philadelphia Museum of Art steps, when Brown was with his wife, that sold it to the producers of Rocky.

timbutt2

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 8:51 pm

Steve Fishwick wrote:
John Brawley wrote:Bound for Glory in 1975 was the first feature film to use Steadicam.

Rocky was later.

No one can remember, Bound For Glory, John. It was a chance test shot on the, Philadelphia Museum of Art steps, when Brown was with his wife, that sold it to the producers of Rocky.
You mean this infamous test:

Steve Fishwick

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 8:52 pm

Yes I believe so Tim.

timbutt2

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 8:54 pm

And, I remember Bound for Glory. We watched the shot in my Steadicam class.

John Brawley

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 8:58 pm

Bound for Glory won the Oscar for Cinematography in 1977.

The very first film Steadicam is officially used on wins an Oscar.

Not so sure it was forgotten.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Steve Fishwick

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 8:59 pm

John Brawley wrote:Bound for Glory won the Oscar for Cinematography in 1977.

It's forgotten now as is All Quiet On The Western Front, the very first Oscar winner.

timbutt2

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 9:03 pm

Steve Fishwick wrote:
John Brawley wrote:Bound for Glory won the Oscar for Cinematography in 1977.

It's forgotten now as is All Quiet On The Western Front, the very first Oscar winner.

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) was not the first Oscar Winner. Sunrise (Best Picture, Unique and Artistic Production) and Wings (Best Picture, Production) both share that honor as there were two different "Best Picture" categories at that first Oscars in 1928.

timbutt2

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 9:08 pm

For Bound for Glory here's the shot and info on it on Steadishots.org: http://www.steadishots.org/shots_detail.cfm?shotID=3

Steve Fishwick

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 9:15 pm

You've been hitting Wikipedia, amongst other sources Tim. :lol: I salute you. The point is I don't wish to sound flippant but it is generally agreed success came to Steadicam through the huge box office, of Rocky.

timbutt2

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 9:20 pm

Steve Fishwick wrote:You've been hitting Wikipedia, amongst other sources Tim. :lol: I salute you. The point is I don't wish to sound flippant but it is generally agreed success came to Steadicam through the huge box office, of Rocky.

Ironically I didn't have to hit up Wikipedia for that info. I memorized the Best Picture Winners when I was in College. The only thing I had to do was go to IMDb to double check the specific Best Picture Categories for those first two. Yet, never had to open Wiki for any of it.

Steve Fishwick

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 9:23 pm

timbutt2 wrote:I memorized the Best Picture Winners when I was in College.

All the more to salute you with then, Tim. I thought my memory was good but as a dammed near 60 year old, I should perhaps consult...Wikipedia, next time :lol:

HykCIne

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 1:06 am

timbutt2 wrote:If you can be lucky enough to find used parts to piecemeal a rig together you may attempt it. But I got lucky with getting a used Zephyr Arm.

Thank you. I guess I will have some more questions a bit later.
Which websites would you recommend to search for used steadicams?
My friend who lives in Chicago, he will gonna buy a steadicam, so US located selling websites are the only option.

timbutt2

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 2:22 am

bmpcc6k wrote:
timbutt2 wrote:If you can be lucky enough to find used parts to piecemeal a rig together you may attempt it. But I got lucky with getting a used Zephyr Arm.

Thank you. I guess I will have some more questions a bit later.
Which websites would you recommend to search for used steadicams?
My friend who lives in Chicago, he will gonna buy a steadicam, so US located selling websites are the only option.
I bought mine used from B&H. Another alternative would be Adorama. But I got mine through B&H for a great deal.

You can also search ShareGrid and Facebook Marketplace as options. People are always selling gear there. For example I sold my original URSA Mini 4.6K on ShareGrid back in 2020.

HykCIne

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 2:57 am

timbutt2 wrote:I bought mine used from B&H. Another alternative would be Adorama. But I got mine through B&H for a great deal.

You can also search ShareGrid and Facebook Marketplace as options.

Thank you

dondidnod

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 6:26 pm

Such a deal, you should only…

Steadicam Zephyr Camera Stabilizer with 7" HD Monitor $11,125.00 USD

A Rebate offer of $1500 is available from 1/31/23 until 4/29/23.

https://tiffen.com/products/steadicam-z ... hd-monitor

A Rebate offer is available for the Steadicam Aero! Save $750 off the Aero 30 ($6399) or $300 off the Aero 15 ($3569). Offer available from 01/31/2023 to 04/29/2023.

https://tiffen.com/pages/steadicam-aero

HykCIne

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 7:07 pm

dondidnod wrote:Such a deal, you should only…

Thank you, but Aero 30 is still pricey for me.

Maybe I need to look on Aero 15, but it's max payload is 4.5kg so even If I make a lightweight camera setup, I don't know how image gonna be look like.

Johannes Jonsson

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 12:48 pm

I have both gimbals and Steadicam. Gimbal is fine for many things and of course much quicker setup but it will never replace the Steadicam. There is no way, at least for me, getting the natural feeling using gimbals as you get using Steadicam and the pin point accurate change of directions and other movements.
Johannes

Michel Rabe

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 1:49 pm

You can tweak settings of a good gimbal to react the way you need it to in order to replace a steadicam for most situations.

It's most often the user's inability to smoothen everything out. It's a different symbiosis between body/gimbal compared to body/steadicam.

If you're not a specialized steadicam operator on big budget projects, I'm not sure investing this much money in a steadicam system in 2023 is a good idea.

John Paines

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 2:39 pm

There's no way to surmount the mechanical movement of the gimbal, which is what makes it work in the first place. But at least a gimbal will work for an inexperienced or occasional user, and it's cheap. There could be lots of grief with a Steadicam, particularly one of the cheaper clones and no prior experience.

Michel Rabe

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 3:22 pm

Like I said, in most situations, not all. But 90% can be done with a gimbal, if you - not just the gimbal - are capable. There is quite a learning curve to master gimbals too, which isn't obvious to many since you can just pick it up and shoot.
Previous

Return to Cinematography