Firmware 6.6 BMPC4K BMPCC6K Feedback

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Fabián Aguirre

Re: Firmware 6.6 BMPC4K BMPCC6K Feedback

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 1:16 am

Kristian Lam wrote:Thanks. I think we have narrowed down the cause of this issue.

Thanks, Kristian. Apologies for the delay-- it's been a busy week.

Exciting to know you may have identified the issue. We had another intense shoot this week with the two pockets and experienced the same issue. The cards we are using are all 256 Lexar 3400 and 3600 (the one formerly approved for Alexa). I realize these are not officially approved for the BMPCC4Ks but we invested in these for the Ursa Mini 4.6K a while back and they were working perfectly prior to FW6.6 on the pockets.

To be clear, this also happens with our 128 and 256 Sandisk 95mbps SDs, but the Cfast cards take a little longer to load. We had another big, 14 hour shoot this week and had no reliability issues with the media (all shot in Braw at Q5 UHD at 23.98, 33, 60 and also 2.6K at 120)-- no problems recording or playing back. The cards just take a little longer to load, and they take longer the more clips we have recorded.

Looking forward to the update addressing this issue but, again, thrilled with FW6.6 otherwise.

Cheers,
Fabián Aguirre
Cinematographer / Steadicam Operator
www.theunderstory.co

Chris_T-Bay

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 8:45 am

I got another minor problem with the new update. When you're watching your clips in 2,6k mode, the "Display LUT" does not work right. I can choose the LUT in the settings (especially the LUTs provided by the camera), but after pausing the clip it changes back to standard (no LUT until importing an own). So the f-button for "Display LUT" has no effect anymore.
In 4k clips the problem does not appear.

Maxikingone

PostThu Dec 19, 2019 2:49 pm

Kristian Lam wrote:
Fabián Aguirre wrote:
Kristian Lam wrote:
Are the CFast formatted on cameras previously running 6.2? Or is this still happening with fresh media that is formated on 6.6?

We always format our cards right before each shoot, so these were all formatted in-camera using firmware 6.6

Thanks. I think we have narrowed down the cause of this issue.

I guess there is no solution for this issue yet. There was no Bugfix for the BMPCC4k on the new Blackmagic Camera Setup 6.7.
Do you need more information? I haven't done any further tests because i thought you found the cause.

Luis Mendoza

PostSat Jan 25, 2020 11:18 pm

Kristian Lam wrote:
Playmakerstudios wrote:Maybe it's just me, loving the update, but...where is the battery percentage?
It's gone from the top right, and when i tap it the icon comes back but in voltage reading only.

Is it like this for anyone else?
Thanks

Sounds like your battery detection switch in the camera is broken. Ever yanked out a stuck battery by force before?

I think I have this problem.

Since I had a battery stuck in the camera (and I had to pull it out with some force), I have a hard time removing even the original battery that came with the camera.

Also, since that moment the percentage indicator is missing, only the voltage readout is present.

Is there a fix for this?
Windows 10
Davinci Resolve 17
NVIDIA RTX 2070
Dell Ultrasharp 4K monitor

Phillip Bergman

PostSun Jan 26, 2020 10:59 am

Luis Mendoza wrote:
Kristian Lam wrote:
Playmakerstudios wrote:Maybe it's just me, loving the update, but...where is the battery percentage?
It's gone from the top right, and when i tap it the icon comes back but in voltage reading only.

Is it like this for anyone else?
Thanks

Sounds like your battery detection switch in the camera is broken. Ever yanked out a stuck battery by force before?

I think I have this problem.

Since I had a battery stuck in the camera (and I had to pull it out with some force), I have a hard time removing even the original battery that came with the camera.

Also, since that moment the percentage indicator is missing, only the voltage readout is present.

Is there a fix for this?

This same thing JUST happened to me. I put in a third party battery, and when I went to hit the battery release it didn't come out. I ended up having to push a small screw driver between the battery compartment and battery to pry it out. Just last week it happened again with a Canon battery, only this time when I pryed the battery out it now wouldn't go back in. I noticed that in the very bottom of the battery compartment there was a small piece of something sticking out and blocking the battery from seating properly. The piece was somewhat loose and eventually I was able to use a screwdrive and push it back into the camera body somehow? I have no idea what that loose plastic/metal piece is or what it does, but ever since pushing it back into the camera body, the batteries no longer get stuck and are easy to push in. However, the battery percentage indicator is gone, and now I only get voltage readout. But the weird this is, reinstalled the older 6.2 (I think that was the one) firmware in the camera, and when i did that the battery percentage indicator was back. So I then updated the firmware to 6.6 again, and after updating the battery percentage indicator was gone again. So It would seem that there's either some combination of the firmware and that little plastic piece that's broken in my camera perhaps that's causing that issue? I've also noticed that when I have the camera plugged into to power (and there is also a battery in the camera but the camera is switched off) I don't get a red led indicator light that my battery is being charged. Use to be when i had AC power plugged in a red light would stay on when the camera was off to indicate that the battery was being charged. So yea, I'm not sure what all is going on, but my camera is past warranty and since I was able to clear the battery compartment and it all seems to be working fine I think I'll pass on RMAing the camera.

Tim Lota

PostFri Jan 31, 2020 1:20 pm

Has anyone else had problems with corrupt cards/drives or missing files since 6.6?

I've read some posts on this board and I think most of the missing-files-problems came after update 6.6. Me and my colleagues have 3 P4Ks in total and two of them had problems with files missing on three different occasions now (SSD, SD and CFAST). Card recovery software didn't work most of the time. Cards/Drives were formatted on camera or on PC. We all have different workflows so we kinda automatically "tested" it all.

Since I nearly lost a payment due to a missing file from a live recording, I'm kinda scared to use anything else then my old SanDisk SD card at 4K 25p or 1080 25/50p, since I know they work (or have been up until now). Though, my colleague's camera also had a problem with exactly that combination.

Can someone weight in into this problem? Or is there someone at BMD already working on this?

rick.lang

Firmware 6.6 BMPC4K BMPCC6K Feedback

PostFri Jan 31, 2020 2:01 pm

Tim, I’ve used SSD, SDXC, CFast 2 cards from Wise and on the approved lists since 6.6. The SDXC gets the least usage and CFast 2 the most. Also use the Wise Dual Card reader and Wise cables. No lost data. Most shoots were using the BMPCC4K but two shoots were dual camera adding the URSA Mini 4.6K.
Last edited by rick.lang on Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Feb 01, 2020 12:13 am

Tim Lota wrote:Has anyone else had problems with corrupt cards/drives or missing files since 6.6?

[snip]

Can someone weight in into this problem? Or is there someone at BMD already working on this?

This is not a known issue. Have you contacted the support team?

When you say the files are "missing", are they not on the media at all even though you have verified that the camera is recording? Is there a gap in the file numbering?

Tim Lota

PostSat Feb 01, 2020 7:57 am

rick.lang wrote:Tim, I’ve used SSD, SDXC, CFast 2 cards from Wise and on the approved lists since 6.6. The SDXC gets the least usage and CFast 2 the most. Also use the Wise Dual Card reader and Wise cables. No lost data. Most shoots were using the BMPCC4K but two shoots were dual camera adding the URSA Mini 4.6K.

Great, that's good to hear. I've only been using approved media, too (T5 SSD & SanDisk SD). So I hope I'll be fine. Thanks, Rick.

Kristian Lam wrote:This is not a known issue. Have you contacted the support team?

When you say the files are "missing", are they not on the media at all even though you have verified that the camera is recording? Is there a gap in the file numbering?

No, they're not. The free space on the card/drive is gone, but the file is nowhere to be found. One recovery tool found .SWF files though. And yes, there is actually a gap in the file numbering. We've tried multiple recovery tools, but not one helped at all. The other files on the same card/drive work completely fine.

I don't know for sure if my colleagues contacted your support, but I'd guess so. I do know that they've tried multiple contacts including retailers and rentals.

I don't want to get a panic going or anything, but I just found it odd for an update to arrive, losing footage myself (not on my camera/card though, had a two cam setup and used my colleagues camera/card *knocks on wood*), having colleagues lose footage and reading on this board of other people having missing footage. Maybe it was just all a stupid coincidence, since at least my colleagues partially used unapproved media (which have never had any problems before and after though), but I thought I'd at least write something here once, so someone can calm me down. ;)
Previous

Return to Cinematography