BMPCC 4k/6k - Netflix 'standards'

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Dhaylen

BMPCC 4k/6k - Netflix 'standards'

PostThu Oct 31, 2019 3:16 pm

Just saw, both on youtube and Netflix, that the Panasonic S1h is now "certified" to be used as an 'A' camera for Netflix.

???

Also saw videos saying that, "technically", the BMPCC4k meets the standards.
What/why are neither of the BMPCC's listed? (Thought they dragged their heels in approving equipment like most corporations - but they hopped fast onto the S1h)

Any 'facts' as to why they see this as 'more pro'?
(Does it have to do with codecs they feel comfy with?)

Dune00z

Re: BMPCC 4k/6k - Netflix 'standards'

PostThu Oct 31, 2019 3:48 pm

Dhaylen wrote:Just saw, both on youtube and Netflix, that the Panasonic S1h is now "certified" to be used as an 'A' camera for Netflix.

???

What/why are neither of the BMPCC's listed? (Thought they dragged their heels in approving equipment like most corporations - but they hopped fast onto the S1h)

If you're working a Netflix original, I am not sure why you are worried about pocket cams being accepted. You'll have enough money to use a higher end A camera...

Dhaylen

PostThu Oct 31, 2019 6:27 pm

Dune00z wrote:

If you're working a Netflix original, I am not sure why you are worried about pocket cams being accepted. You'll have enough money to use a higher end A camera...

This is about a mirrorless camera - the S1H actually being accepted and curious about the BMPCC... ;)

Ellory Yu

PostFri Nov 01, 2019 9:52 pm

That's kind of ridiculous for them having the Panny SH1. But that's only for Netflix original. You can shoot with any camera and distribute it through Netflix.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Chris Shivers

PostFri Nov 01, 2019 10:54 pm

Dune00z wrote:
Dhaylen wrote:Just saw, both on youtube and Netflix, that the Panasonic S1h is now "certified" to be used as an 'A' camera for Netflix.

???

maybe that's the look your going for, just because it cost a lot doesn't make it right for the job ;)

Eugenia Loli

PostSat Nov 02, 2019 12:56 am

They are posh, that's why. They don't really know what they're doing, they just like looking good on paper. Even for the S1H, only a FEW of the modes are approved btw, e.g. their 422 modes. The hevc 420 modes might be better, but they preferred to tick boxes around 422, rather than take encoding quality into account. They're amateurs. Quite visible how they treated the Alexa at 2.8k. They wouldn't accept it, despite being the most film-like digital camera, with highest DR. They just wanted to tick boxes: 4k.
Collage artist, illustrator, filmmaker: https://vimeo.com/eugenia

Krishna Pada

PostMon Nov 04, 2019 4:28 am

I think it's just a matter of time when BMPCC6K will be added to the list.
4K is a m4/3rd camera and so far there's not a single m4/3rd camera accepted by Netflix.
BM6K has the standard s35, it shoots BRAW (Braw has just been accepted by Netflix in UMP Pro), so there's no reason that BM6K will not fit into the Netflix list.
The BM6K came too late for this year's listing, so I would be expect the camera to be there in the list in April 2020.
FILMWALLAH.
DR Studio. Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64 GB Ram, T7 for Resolve Cache
UMP G2, BMD Pocket 6K, Canon R5 C
Zeiss CP.3 15, 25, 50, 85. Zeiss Contax 25, 35, 50, 85, 135.

javier forza

PostMon Nov 04, 2019 6:47 pm

Eugenia Loli wrote:They are posh, that's why. They don't really know what they're doing, they just like looking good on paper. Even for the S1H, only a FEW of the modes are approved btw, e.g. their 422 modes. The hevc 420 modes might be better, but they preferred to tick boxes around 422, rather than take encoding quality into account. They're amateurs. Quite visible how they treated the Alexa at 2.8k. They wouldn't accept it, despite being the most film-like digital camera, with highest DR. They just wanted to tick boxes: 4k.

+1

Art Roberts

PostTue Nov 26, 2019 9:52 am

Late to the party as usual. AFAIK, the Netflix camera list applies only to Netflix Originals, i.e movies that are funded, produced and distributed by them. If they give you a contract to shoot a movie, you are expected to use a camera on that list. Apart from that, you can shoot on any camera and then pray that they accept it.

sjaehnert

PostTue Mar 10, 2020 5:50 pm

Fyi, it’s not Netflix but an FX/Hulu doc that has done well...

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/post- ... rousanimal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curtis Campsall

PostTue Mar 10, 2020 8:08 pm

As has been stated the approved camera list only applies to Netflix originals that are funded and negotiated up front. Paris is Us is an indie feature sold to them in the last year or so shot on the original Pocket. There is no reason why pocket 4k would be rejected if the content is good enough. I'm sticking with the original until someone pays me to go 4k ha ha.
Dop16mm on the other forum

Dhaylen

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 10:58 am

UPDATE:
So... I thought the Netflix conspiracy might have been that the cameras dont have a full frame sensor.
BUT... Panasonic released the BGH1 (a cine 'Gh5) micro 4/3rds and Netflix slapped that up faster than pancakes served at IHOP! lol!

Any further insight into the madness that is behind Netflix approved cameras?
* Because the ursa mini is on that list, and I swear the 4k pocket looks better than the footage I saw from the 4k ursa.

Funny, the new 12k camera isnt there either from BlackMagic - again, would say sensor size - but, again, that theory has been 'blown' away.
(funny enough Sonys a7s iii and that new box fx3, is it?, arent there either... yet)

panasonic must have friends at Netflix (them and RED) lol!

Robert Niessner

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 11:15 am

John Brawley said that one technical requirement is a dedicated timecode in/out which the Pocket series does not have (TC in can be done over 3.5mm input)
But the Panasonic BGH1 does have it.

But Netflix has not updated the list since Jan 2021:
https://partnerhelp.netflixstudios.com/ ... ge-Capture

But why is this so important for you? Are you going to shot for Netflix?
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Ellory Yu

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 2:23 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:John Brawley said that one technical requirement is a dedicated timecode in/out which the Pocket series does not have (TC in can be done over 3.5mm input)

Robert and John are correct. Two of the criteria in their check boxes are (1) SDI and (2) dedicated timecode in/out. You your camera doesn't have this, it will be overlooked by them even if you can really gen timecode with an external device like tentacle sync. Go figure. The pocket however, does not have SDI.

The other thing is resolution. They are not interested in cameras with resolution over 5K due to post cost. So the UMP 4.6K is in their list but the 12K will not be (even if you can shoot at 4K with it). Again, it's just base spec that they go with and don't bother to understand what the camera can/cannot do.

But all this shouldn't matter if Netflix is not funding your picture. You can go through the traditional funding, production, and distribution route with the hopes they'll be interested in your picture to pick it up.
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Dhaylen

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 5:12 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:
But why is this so important for you? Are you going to shoot for Netflix?

Just curious as I look at cameras -
(My mind likes to see how the 'Legos' all fit together, and to make 'sense' out of the camera 'madness' out there.) ;P

Thanks!

Dhaylen

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 5:23 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:Robert and John are correct. Two of the criteria in their check boxes are (1) SDI and (2) dedicated timecode in/out. You your camera doesn't have this, it will be overlooked by them even if you can really gen timecode with an external device like tentacle sync. Go figure. The pocket however, does not have SDI.

The other thing is resolution. They are not interested in cameras with resolution over 5K due to post cost. So the UMP 4.6K is in their list but the 12K will not be (even if you can shoot at 4K with it). Again, it's just base spec that they go with and don't bother to understand what the camera can/cannot do.

Guess the time code bit makes sense.
(Didn't realize the S1h was able to do this.)
Surprised the lack of an xlr didn't count against them? (S1h) :p

Its all good.

Looking at:

* BMPCC 6k pro (internal NDs and tilting screen - good price)
* Panasonic (that is a beast in its 'rugged' design - full frame sensor)
* Sony A7siii (waited for this forever, only really interested in its autofocus, that rocks, and full frame)

... will wait and see. :)

Thanks!

Ellory Yu

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 6:39 pm

Dhaylen wrote:Looking at:

* BMPCC 6k pro (internal NDs and tilting screen - good price)
* Panasonic (that is a beast in its 'rugged' design - full frame sensor)
* Sony A7siii (waited for this forever, only really interested in its autofocus, that rocks, and full frame)

... will wait and see. :)

Thanks!

I'm not buying anything now since I can go on with my business using the UMP G2 and BMPCC6K.
But I'm waiting to see something that is everything the BMPCC 4K has (except the 5" screen) in a box form factor, with internal NDs, time code in/out, and SDI. Maybe couple with autofocus and IBS, that will be the ideal buy. Could be something 'Netflix' will add to their list. ;)

carlomacchiavello

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 9:39 pm

I think that most of people forget the point.
The Netflix approved is a Netflix Original only requirement, if you want to sell something to Netflix you can do it also if you shoot in miniDv (Across the river was in 2019 catalogue of Netflix and is minidv movie, but win many festival awards and Netflix acquire it).
If you do a Netflix original series you will be filled of money and camera will be the last of your problems.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Robert Niessner

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 10:38 pm

Dhaylen wrote:Guess the time code bit makes sense.
(Didn't realize the S1h was able to do this.)
Surprised the lack of an xlr didn't count against them? (S1h) :p

Camera XLR input is not important when you shoot a show for Netflix, because audio will get recorded into a dedicated audio recorder anyway.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

John Brawley

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 10:55 pm

As I understand it

Dedicated timecode AND two dedicated audio inputs are required.

SDI, resolution not so much. (As long as it’s more than 4K)

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Dhaylen

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 10:03 am

carlomacchiavello wrote:I think that most of people forget the point.
The Netflix approved is a Netflix Original only requirement, if you want to sell something to Netflix you can do it also if you shoot in miniDv (Across the river was in 2019 catalogue of Netflix and is minidv movie, but win many festival awards and Netflix acquire it).
If you do a Netflix original series you will be filled of money and camera will be the last of your problems.

As mentioned - just a curiosity. ;)
Thanks!

Dhaylen

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 10:04 am

John Brawley wrote:As I understand it

Dedicated timecode AND two dedicated audio inputs are required.

SDI, resolution not so much. (As long as it’s more than 4K)

JB

So the new 6k Pro is halfway there with the xtra xlr? Cool :)

carlomacchiavello

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 6:40 pm

Dhaylen wrote:
carlomacchiavello wrote:I think that most of people forget the point.

As mentioned - just a curiosity. ;)
Thanks!
Sorry, I miss this part :-P

WahWay

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 7:54 pm

While I know its does not really matter I also don't get the hostility if someone is enquiring or even consider their camera is seen as in a "exclusive club" of being approved by Netflix. As someone who works in the public sector when we procure external services we have to by law allow several providers in a bidding process, which one we choose has to be determine if it is value for money and other factors such as past reference, good track record and if it is of sound reputation, the quality of equipments, etc. Now we can argue it does not matter as long as the result is good which is fair point but that is not how things gets done in the public sector.
I've seen poor content videos that hardly anyone watches, it cost thousands but the money was "justify" because the production cost is transparent and the gear used was professional. Now being "Neflix Approved" does no harm when higher up review spending.

Dhaylen

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 8:25 pm

WahWay wrote:which one we choose has to be determine if it is value for money and other factors such as past reference, good track record and if it is of sound reputation, the quality of equipments, etc. Now we can argue it does not matter as long as the result is good which is fair point but that is not how things gets done in the public sector.

Back in the day (early 00's) I built out an internet/broadcast dept. from scratch.
Was not easy - at all - because it was a new link between an already existing 'internet' and full fledged broadcast dept.

When I first arrived there was an initial setup of the "bubble" imac,
(remember those colorful creatures?), and the Canon XL-1.

First thing I said was the "DV imac" would not cut it. My boss said, "Steve J. says it will."
(He was an excellent boss, who actually listened and was open to logical reasoning)

I explained that the quality of videos seen from Apples movie trailers were far better because they were compressing them from a higher quality source, and compressing DV would be... yeah.

So, our broadcast dept. was using DvcPro 50 (Panasonic) and Sonys digibeta
(did I get that right?)
I chose the 'cheaper of the two' and bought a used DvcPro 50 VTR for about 30k
(it was about 50k new then)

Also had to choose between a BlackMagic card for capture, or (and I cant for the life of me remember the name) another... and I went with whatever the other was as I was able to have real-time chroma key with Final Cut and my DVCpro 50 footage.
(BlackMagic had realtime, but not chroma key at the time - and if they did, forgive me, there must have been an extra reason on top.) :)

At the end of the day, I had to go through my boss, the COO and the CFO to get approval - it took a lot of leg work, 'proving' the validity each step of the way, and after a year and about 100k later we had a good system built out.
(Had AnyStream, I believe it was, for live events, that was put on our truck, etc)

Ended up making a deal with Akamai for about 20k a month (seems a lot - back then, it was excellent for all the content we had), and it allowed us to integrate our internal IT dept as well to save cost.

Yeah... it was fun.
At the end of the day... (you probably guessed it), my dept. got gobbled up by the Broadcast dept.
Lovely folks - the sound guys... amazing people to hang with - heck, enjoyed the whole team.
(4k sq foot studio that we shot music interviews on against a chroma wall - amongst other things)

A bit of reminiscing... but yeah... building things out can have a lot of factors to it.
* Especially working for a non-profit, which I did. ;)

As for my query... it mainly just a curiosity - I have been out of the field since 2005.
(Turned in my Producer hat for that of a stay at home dad - kids are now grown, teaching my daughter Fusion... though Im an AE guy orginally - and looking at a camera... have been for a couple years now.) :p

Im a stickler and wanted a Sony A7s ii update, so waited forever... and - its fine...
(Well - to be honest, RED used to be my #1 choice back when 2k for $2k was a concept - that was abandoned... now its 6k for $6k) :p
But I really like the Panasonic s1h, but the BlackMagic Cameras are doing some things I really wish it would do. (Menu is a main thing - its just... clean)

Memory lane... sorry folks - :)

John Paines

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 9:11 pm

WahWay wrote:I also don't get the hostility if someone is enquiring or even consider their camera is seen as in a "exclusive club" of being approved by Netflix.

The idea of "qualified equipment", as in N95 masks, makes sense, where performance is measured mainly with numbers -- or at least, in *all* the numbers -- and where aesthetic qualities are irrelevant.

Netflix has qualified what amounts to a rehoused GH5, but rejects an Alexa Mini. No "hostility", but if there are really non-Netflix producers who are driven by this list, they're in the wrong business. This is one club where membership means just about nothing.

Dhaylen

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 9:26 pm

John Paines wrote:
WahWay wrote:I also don't get the hostility if someone is enquiring or even consider their camera is seen as in a "exclusive club" of being approved by Netflix.

Netflix has qualified what amounts to a rehoused GH5, but rejects an Alexa Mini. No "hostility", but if there are really non-Netflix producers who are driven by this list, they're in the wrong business. This is one club where membership means just about nothing.

The whole point of this thread of mine is mere curiosity, John.
Not trying to get anyone into a spat - not worth it...

For better or worse, Netflix started something 'new'.
Blockbuster video is dead, and you can now watch pretty decent 'movies'/tv shows on the internet for a monthly fee.
(Im a geezer - and to me, that is pretty cool... so I ask myself, what do these folks like... and why... its the 'why' people don't really respond to, though the good folks here have helped to clear it up.) :)

WahWay

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 7:33 am

John Paines wrote:Netflix has qualified what amounts to a rehoused GH5, but rejects an Alexa Mini. No "hostility", but if there are really non-Netflix producers who are driven by this list, they're in the wrong business. This is one club where membership means just about nothing.

They are in the business of spending public money, just as they are when they procure IT equipements for network servers, awarding contract for building work, supply computers for higher education. If it ticks the box funding are released. If they don't spend and be upfront about what they spent it on they will lose the grant next year.
You need to be working in the public sector to understand this.

Matthew_Lawrence

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 7:01 pm

John Paines wrote:Netflix has qualified what amounts to a rehoused GH5, but rejects an Alexa Mini. No "hostility", but if there are really non-Netflix producers who are driven by this list, they're in the wrong business. This is one club where membership means just about nothing.

I think the only reason for not accepting the Alexa Mini is just to avoid a PR nightmare with they layman subscriber who pays a premium for the UHD plan. If those people were to read a juicy news article stating that a popular camera used for creating Netflix originals wasn't a true UHD camera and was actually upsampled from 3.2k they would feel they were being ripped off. Even if Netflix tried to argue that the Alexa Mini creates an amazing image, many people would just say "well I don't need UHD then" and downgrade to the regular plan.

So long as they want to charge people extra for a premium UHD plan, then they need to make sure all their originals are captured in at least UHD resolution. I'm sure they know the Alexa Mini creates a nicer image than the Panasonic B1H.

John Paines

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 7:30 pm

My point is, whatever Netflix' reasons, they make no sense for anyone else. Why anyone not in a contractual relationship with Netflix, including public sector acquisitions departments, would look to this list for validation is beyond me.

Public sector purchasing units require that purchases satisfy minimum standards. But Netflix doesn't publish its actual standards, if any, beyond input plugs and sensor resolution. If any public sector actually relied on this list, it would never survive an audit.

ricardo marty

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 8:11 pm

Well the panasonic sh1 now has Braw hope this gives Braw more traction in the film world.

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Matthew_Lawrence

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 8:20 pm

ricardo marty wrote:Well the panasonic sh1 now has Braw hope this gives Braw more traction in the film world.

Ricardo Marty

Didn't realise that. That's good.

Dhaylen

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 9:01 pm

John Paines wrote:Why anyone not in a contractual relationship with Netflix, including public sector acquisitions departments, would look to this list for validation is beyond me.

No, John - not beyond you.
I've mentioned it, at least three times - I believe - that its for curiosity reasons.
(Nothing to do with validation, my friend... not sure why that seems to be a 'sticking' issue for you - unless you're trying to 'validate' that you don't need 'validation')

Again - so you dont have to go back and re-read my post...
Old geezer here is intrigued by the new digital revolution and how Netflix has basically given us films we can watch on our couch for just a couple bucks a month along with some pretty decent original tv content.

Therefore - when they have a list, I'm curious who is on it - and... why.
* Is it really that difficult to understand this concept, my friend? ;)
Its pure curiosity - doesnt mean you have to share it, by all means, we are humans and different... but dang bruh... you really seem bent on making sure everyone is aligned to your view of 'not caring'

Quite simple, you dont care - I respect that.
But this is a question - I had, and those that know, feel free to contribute... otherwise, why have a nag fest with each other? No? World is already to pot as it is - lets encourage and lift each other up, while having a different opinion - whatta ya, say? Think you can hang with that?

*** From what Im gathering...
No UHD is certified (hence no Sony A7s iii
No internal time code (no BMPCC)
This is good to know - as I did not realize that the Sony was UHD (basically 3k) and not DCI.
*** so no, I dont want to buy it, and if I didnt ask this question, I could have easily overlooked it.

(Again, we all have our own questions and find answers to those questions through various means... we arent quite in a singularity yet - so let it breathe, and enjoy the individualism we have) :)
Last edited by Dhaylen on Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dhaylen

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 9:03 pm

ricardo marty wrote:Well the panasonic sh1 now has Braw hope this gives Braw more traction in the film world.

Ricardo Marty

Just saw this, and it has slanted my choice more to the S1h...
* still like the internal ND filters on the 6kpro...
- love full frame
- love a very rugged camera (S1h looks like I can throw it at a rock) lol!
But, the 6k at the price point... yeah - (its so dusty where I live - weather sealing is probably going to be the tie breaker) :p

John Paines

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 9:20 pm

Dhaylen wrote:No, John - not beyond you.
I've mentioned it, at least three times -

That may be, but in no instance here am I responding to your posts, as the quotes and order of responses indicate. You will have noted that there are many claims, and several different voices here. In none of mine do I cite your views.

But time to move on, maybe? I doubt Netflix is listening, either.

Dhaylen

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 9:43 pm

John Paines wrote:

* That may be, but in no instance here am I responding to your posts, as the quotes and order of responses indicate.

* You will have noted that there are many claims, and several different voices here.
In none of mine do I cite your views.

*But time to move on, maybe? I doubt Netflix is listening, either.

John, not to split hairs, but I do believe we both can agree you, indirectly, were responding to what I had to say with your reply to WahWay below:
(kinda where it started) ;)

Somewhere in there, I suppose things got lost in translation...
* However, seeing the point of the thread i started here was asking a specific question, I thought it fair enough to respond in kind to your comments - which did not, necessarily, add to answering the question of the thread.

But, yes - I agree - we should just move on...
Its very easy to get heated/attached to a certain idea, and for what?

My hope is that the next time you hear someone ask if "x-camera is Netflixed approved",
perhaps you will approach it with a more open mind, and not just auto-think the person needs validation, but take the question - for face value - and help that person better understand what it is they are seeking to know.

I think - and I do want some validation on this... ;)
that the answer to this whole thread is essentially:
* If its UHD only (i.e. Sony A7s iii) not going to happen as its consumer 3k and not DCI
* If its BMPCC, probably cause of internal time code (lack thereof)

and things like this, can help people make a choice - (like I said, I totally overlooked the a7siii UHD bit)
That has now narrowed my choices to S1h and 6kPro!

See... pretty sweet, no?
This "Netflix" conversation actually had some benefit... (making new friends while Im at it)

Take care

Matthew_Lawrence

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 9:56 pm

John Paines wrote:My point is, whatever Netflix' reasons, they make no sense for anyone else. Why anyone not in a contractual relationship with Netflix, including public sector acquisitions departments, would look to this list for validation is beyond me.

Ok, I see what you mean now. Yeah, I agree. If you're not producing a Netflix original, their approved camera list shouldn't matter, particularly as they still licence content not shot on an approved camera.

JonPais

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 6:33 am

Dhaylen wrote:
John Paines wrote:

* That may be, but in no instance here am I responding to your posts, as the quotes and order of responses indicate.

* You will have noted that there are many claims, and several different voices here.
In none of mine do I cite your views.

*But time to move on, maybe? I doubt Netflix is listening, either.

John, not to split hairs, but I do believe we both can agree you, indirectly, were responding to what I had to say with your reply to WahWay below:
(kinda where it started) ;)

Somewhere in there, I suppose things got lost in translation...
* However, seeing the point of the thread i started here was asking a specific question, I thought it fair enough to respond in kind to your comments - which did not, necessarily, add to answering the question of the thread.

But, yes - I agree - we should just move on...
Its very easy to get heated/attached to a certain idea, and for what?

My hope is that the next time you hear someone ask if "x-camera is Netflixed approved",
perhaps you will approach it with a more open mind, and not just auto-think the person needs validation, but take the question - for face value - and help that person better understand what it is they are seeking to know.

I think - and I do want some validation on this... ;)
that the answer to this whole thread is essentially:
* If its UHD only (i.e. Sony A7s iii) not going to happen as its consumer 3k and not DCI
* If its BMPCC, probably cause of internal time code (lack thereof)

and things like this, can help people make a choice - (like I said, I totally overlooked the a7siii UHD bit)
That has now narrowed my choices to S1h and 6kPro!

See... pretty sweet, no?
This "Netflix" conversation actually had some benefit... (making new friends while Im at it)

Take care
"(* If its UHD only (i.e. Sony A7s iii) not going to happen as its consumer 3k and not DCI)". - INCORRECT

The a7s III records 4K UHD. There is no such animal as 'consumer 3K'.

The a7s III also records 4.2K Metadata Uncropped 4264 x 2408 ProRes RAW with the Ninja V.

Netflix requires cameras have a true 4K UHD sensor (equal to or greater than 3840 photosites wide)

Dolby Vision is also UHD. Dolby Vision IMFs for Netflix are UHD.

Theatrical presentation is usually 2K and there is nothing consumer about an Alexa shooting 2K, so not sure what this 'consumer 3K' label of yours is all about. The most common cinema aspect ratio is 1.85:1.

Surprised to see just one currently manufactured Blackmagic cinema camera on the list of approved cameras!
Last edited by JonPais on Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://daejeonchronicles.com

JonPais

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 9:34 am

Ellory Yu wrote:
Robert Niessner wrote:John Brawley said that one technical requirement is a dedicated timecode in/out which the Pocket series does not have (TC in can be done over 3.5mm input)

Robert and John are correct. Two of the criteria in their check boxes are (1) SDI and (2) dedicated timecode in/out. You your camera doesn't have this, it will be overlooked by them even if you can really gen timecode with an external device like tentacle sync. Go figure. The pocket however, does not have SDI.

Interesting to hear you say that, because there are tons of cameras on the approved list that shoot over 5K. Cameras without SDI as well. Care to explain the discrepancy?

John Brawley

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 10:33 pm

JonPais wrote:Interesting to hear you say that, because there are tons of cameras on the approved list that shoot over 5K. Cameras without SDI as well. Care to explain the discrepancy?

Discrete timecode in seperate to two channels of Audio.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

drknsss

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 11:18 pm

WahWay wrote:While I know its does not really matter I also don't get the hostility if someone is enquiring or even consider their camera is seen as in a "exclusive club" of being approved by Netflix. As someone who works in the public sector when we procure external services we have to by law allow several providers in a bidding process, which one we choose has to be determine if it is value for money and other factors such as past reference, good track record and if it is of sound reputation, the quality of equipments, etc. Now we can argue it does not matter as long as the result is good which is fair point but that is not how things gets done in the public sector.
I've seen poor content videos that hardly anyone watches, it cost thousands but the money was "justify" because the production cost is transparent and the gear used was professional. Now being "Neflix Approved" does no harm when higher up review spending.

Hi!

I think you bring up a valid point about the hostility regarding this subject , but you may not realize that this "Netflix Approved list of...," question comes up all the time in these forums. You can thank camera-reviewing YouTubers for propagating this meme and many others!

JonPais

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 1:38 am

drknsss wrote:
WahWay wrote:While I know its does not really matter I also don't get the hostility if someone is enquiring or even consider their camera is seen as in a "exclusive club" of being approved by Netflix. As someone who works in the public sector when we procure external services we have to by law allow several providers in a bidding process, which one we choose has to be determine if it is value for money and other factors such as past reference, good track record and if it is of sound reputation, the quality of equipments, etc. Now we can argue it does not matter as long as the result is good which is fair point but that is not how things gets done in the public sector.

Hi!

I think you bring up a valid point about the hostility regarding this subject , but you may not realize that this "Netflix Approved list of...," question comes up all the time in these forums. You can thank camera-reviewing YouTubers for propagating this meme and many others!

Cute theory, but having watched countless reviews on YT over the past decade, never heard a single one mention anything sbout Netflix.

JonPais

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 1:41 am

John Brawley wrote:
JonPais wrote:Interesting to hear you say that, because there are tons of cameras on the approved list that shoot over 5K. Cameras without SDI as well. Care to explain the discrepancy?

Discrete timecode in seperate to two channels of Audio.

JB

Thanks, John, that helps to explain away all the cameras that shoot over 5K.

drknsss

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 7:42 pm

Cute theory, but having watched countless reviews on YT over the past decade, never heard a single one mention anything sbout Netflix.[/quote]

Have you googled "Netflix Approved cameras" ? Maybe search works differently where you are from....., The OP asked why certain cameras are not Netflix approved and the answer is that this list is for Netflix-funded productions not Netflix licensed production which can be shot on anything in theory.

Bad Russian Accent: "Ohh, you make for joke" !

JonPais

PostSun Jun 20, 2021 10:16 pm

drknsss wrote:Cute theory, but having watched countless reviews on YT over the past decade, never heard a single one mention anything sbout Netflix.

Have you googled "Netflix Approved cameras" ? Maybe search works differently where you are from....., The OP asked why certain cameras are not Netflix approved and the answer is that this list is for Netflix-funded productions not Netflix licensed production which can be shot on anything in theory.

Bad Russian Accent: "Ohh, you make for joke" ![/quote]

Thanks for clarifying that YouTubers aren’t responsible for whatever it is that people moan about in the forums, least of all, Netflix approved cameras.

Rakesh Malik

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 11:05 pm

JonPais wrote:Surprised to see just one currently manufactured Blackmagic cinema camera on the list of approved cameras!

There's a good chance that there are people using Pockets on Netflix shows, with Ursa Minis as A cameras.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

JonPais

PostFri Jun 25, 2021 12:20 am

Rakesh Malik wrote:
JonPais wrote:Surprised to see just one currently manufactured Blackmagic cinema camera on the list of approved cameras!

There's a good chance that there are people using Pockets on Netflix shows, with Ursa Minis as A cameras.
It’s easy enough to find out - it’s as close as something known as Google search.

John Brawley

PostFri Jun 25, 2021 6:29 pm

JonPais wrote:It’s easy enough to find out - it’s as close as something known as Google search.

Google doesn't know everything.

Foe example I know of many shows that have used many brands of cameras that aren't listed anywhere in the usual places like shotonwhat and IMDB, which are also often wrong.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

JonPais

PostFri Jun 25, 2021 9:35 pm

John Brawley wrote:
JonPais wrote:It’s easy enough to find out - it’s as close as something known as Google search.

Google doesn't know everything.

Foe example I know of many shows that have used many brands of cameras that aren't listed anywhere in the usual places like shotonwhat and IMDB, which are also often wrong.

JB
No one ever claimed anything about Google or any search engine at all knowing everything. That would be preposterous. If someone were to say, ‘I’d wager some TV shows were shot with camera X,’ one can search for it. That does not mean that every single show ever shot with camera X in all four corners of the earth from the beginning of time will necessarily turn up. And yes, neither shotonwhat nor IMDb are infallible, and no one here to the best of my knowledge ever claimed they were.

Return to Cinematography