SLR Magic APO Micro-Prime EF Mount

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

rick.lang

SLR Magic APO Micro-Prime EF Mount

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 4:48 pm

New lighter and less expensive APO primes for EF Mount up to Vistavision 8K (46mm image circle). Most also compatible with the 1.33x Anamorphot for widescreen. Still uses all 82mm threaded filters common with the APO PL primes I have.

If only I had an EF Mount cinema camera like the BMPCC6K!

https://prophotoblog.ca/gear/lenses-for ... i=79349290
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

Re: SLR Magic APO Micro-Prime EF Mount

PostFri Nov 15, 2019 4:57 pm

Well that lens lineup could almost get me to buy a EF mount camera like the Pocket 6K. :roll:
Thanks Rick.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostSat Nov 16, 2019 4:56 pm

Well that would be a great set for that camera. There are several other Micro Prime focal lengths so I’d expect others to show up in EF Mount if these sell well. These are redesigned lenses though, not simply rehoused lenses.
Rick Lang

hihakeem

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 8:46 pm

Thanks for sharing this. These are really interesting at this price point. I was considering (and still) the SLR Magic hyperprime APO PL set with EF adaptor, and just discovered those new microprimes APO. How do you think they compare (Hyperprime APO vs Microprime APO)? I hope someone makes some test reviews soon.

Denny Smith

PostMon Dec 09, 2019 6:06 pm

The SLR Magic Hyperprimes (MFT Mount Only) are not APO lenses. In EF you have the original larger APOs and the new Micro-Prime APOs.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Texaco87

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 5:33 pm

Resurrecting an old thread, but how is the play in the lens mount?

I’m thinking this may be my next camera (to use with the apo microprimes in ef mount) after the BMMCC depending on how things go, but have been turned off by people reporting a loose lens mount with too much play…

rick.lang

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 6:01 pm

That’s a good question as a steady operation is essential.

Some of the folks here can share their informed experience. It’s possible there may be some variation in play with different copies as well. Would be good if you have the opportunity to try your lenses on a retailer’s camera b gore purchase. Given the the MicroPrime lenses are fairly light and the dampening is smooth, it may be fine.

That said though if it’s at all feasible for your use case, it’s always best to ensure your camera is rigged with some other items to grip the lens firmly. I use a lens support and/or a mounted matte box (not just a clamp-on matte box) for my PL mount lenses to steady the PL-mFT adapter to the BMPCC4K; I also use those techniques for my heavier zoom or APO lens on the UM4.6K. Better safe than sorry. I’ve never had problems with that possible ‘play’ as I manually control the lens by hand or PD Movie thumb control (which also gives me another firm point of contact with the lens).
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography