ursa g2 battery life

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Overlander

ursa g2 battery life

PostThu Nov 21, 2019 1:57 am

I have been testing lenses with my new G2. I am using 96wh Shape 14.8 v batteries and am only getting 15 min of shooting. Surely this cannot be normal? Do I have faulty batteries or a faulty camera - or do the SHAPE batteries just suck.
Help!

timbutt2

Re: ursa g2 battery life

PostThu Nov 21, 2019 2:27 am

For my CoreSWX HyperCore Batteries I get the following: 98Wh is 2.5hrs and 150Wh is 3.5hrs... roughly. Obviously it will vary based on the accessories that are also being powered.

I would say more than likely it is your batteries first than the camera. Test some other batteries.

A few years ago when I switched from the 2.5K to the UM4.6K I found one of my 98Wh Switronix batteries wasn't lasting as long as the others. It only lasted an hour at that time. Before long it was half an hour. Then it barely got 10 minutes. So batteries only have so many recharge cycles. They loose potency over time. Thus it was time to get new batteries.

Some manufacturers offer recycle programs for old batteries. I'd check to see if you can recycle yours. No matter what you're gonna have to buy new batteries more than likely.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Overlander

PostThu Nov 21, 2019 5:55 am

That's about what I was expecting for life - but, these are new and only have about 2 charge each. I think maybe the batteries are crap.
Thanks for the info.

robert Hart

PostThu Nov 21, 2019 8:37 am

Don't give up on your batteries just yet. They may come good after a few cycles. 98watts is a bit light for camera batteries for the URSA camera class, especially if you have other items being powered as well from the same battery.

Robert Niessner

PostThu Nov 21, 2019 9:06 am

Overlander wrote:That's about what I was expecting for life - but, these are new and only have about 2 charge each. I think maybe the batteries are crap.
Thanks for the info.

Could it be that your battery charger does not correctly charge those batteries?
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Overlander

PostFri Nov 22, 2019 6:38 pm

My follow up:
SHAPEwbl responded to me immediately and offered a solution and if that did not work then they would replace the batteries - so kudoes to them. Thanks.
As they were new batteries they suggested a faulty first charge so asked me to completely discharge and then recharge. Fortunately the one was already red-lined. So I discharged both by running record and recharged and then got 3 hours from the 98 wh SHAPE batteries. So the batteries and charger are fine. I think I will make a point of doing this, ie a complete discharge, every now and then.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Nov 29, 2019 4:50 am

Glad to hear you found the solution. URSA Mini Pro G2 draws about 34 watts even when recording, plus accessories, so the timing you mentioned seemed quite short.

MartinVidic

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 8:52 pm

Tim Schumann wrote:Glad to hear you found the solution. URSA Mini Pro G2 draws about 34 watts even when recording, plus accessories, so the timing you mentioned seemed quite short.

By any chance, do you know how much the G1 draws?

Steve Fishwick

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 10:04 pm

MartinVidic wrote:By any chance, do you know how much the G1 draws?

Probably similar. The Ursas are quite power hungry since they use FPGAs, in their circuits. It is always wise to power cycle V-mount batteries, especially when new, 2 or 3 times, to condition them for full charge. I even brought back to life some 17 year old IDX Endura 80s, that had been in my storage, when I bought the UBG2. Remarkably they can still do about an hour but I bought some new 150wh Swits which are naturally quite a bit more capacious.

Uli Plank

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 2:45 am

The URSAs are cooling with Peltier elements, just like an Arri. Check how power hungry those are!
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Steve Fishwick

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 7:28 am

Uli Plank wrote:The URSAs are cooling with Peltier elements, just like an Arri. Check how power hungry those are!

Yes, we often overlook how well designed the Ursa Mini Pros are and from a company relatively new to camera design, especially at this price point. Even a modest good condition V-mount battery will run one for long enough and so power demand is a small price to pay.

Return to Cinematography