Pocket Camera ND filters

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

matt harding

Pocket Camera ND filters

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 7:10 am

Hey everyone...

I am aware there have been many topics started on the topic of ND filtration for the BMCC however I was wondering if the same IR contamination issues are going to effect the pocket camera? The native ISO of the pocket is also rated at 800 so it seems that shooting in bright condition is going to require a fair bit of ND. Some of my lenses such as the SLR magic only goes up to a T11. So ND is going to be vital to get this properly exposed in bright sunlight.

Given the camera's small size it concerns me that something such as a Tiffen variable ND filter will not be an adequate solution. From what I have heard this filter on the BMCC is unusable after about 3 stops.

I'm basically looking for a solution to easily adjust the ND while on the run. One option that interests me are magnetic lens adapters to quickly pop filters on and off. Has anyone had experience with these?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. What are people planning to use for ND on the pocket cam?

Matt

adamroberts

Re: Pocket Camera ND filters

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 10:32 am

IR contamination is an issue with all digital sensors. As you increase ND filtration the contamination increases. It's not unique to the BMCC.

If you are looking for a run and gun set-up then use a IR cut filter in combination with a fader ND.

Anthony Vescio

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 11:16 am

I preordered this

http://www.holymanta.com

matt harding

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 12:41 pm

Thanks for the advice Adam. Just a couple of questions:

Would I use something like a Tiffen T1 or a IR ND in combination with the variable nd?

Will it matter the order the filters are stacked on the lens?

Thanks for clarifying. I'd also be interested in hearing you're filter setup.

@Anthony - holymanta looks interesting however I am not convinced by the quality of the filters and it doesn't provide any IR filtration solution.

adamroberts

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 12:54 pm

You need a simple IR cut filter. It can be on either side of the fader ND. I've tried both with the same result.

I use a Hoya UV/IR Cut filter (http://www.hoyafilter.com/hoya/products ... s/uvircut/) behind my Genustech Eclipse Fader ND (http://www.genustech.tv/collections/gen ... e-nd-fader) when I need to use the BMCC in a run and gun mode.

matt harding

PostFri Jul 26, 2013 12:09 am

Cheers Adam!

Return to Cinematography