EF/ZF or MFT Lens Help!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
Derick Passram

EF/ZF or MFT Lens Help!

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 6:40 am

Hey there, I'm Derick and I'm in a mess of thoughts here. I basically need a bit of technical help, I have the gist of it but I'm still hypothesizing wether this would work or not. Ok so Black Magic Design just recently released their first ever camcorder. There are two models of this camcorder. The original having an EF/ZF lens mount, and the second yet to be released having a Micro Four Thirds (MFT) lens mount. I was wondering if I purchase the MFT version of the camcorder, would I be able to use Canon/Nikon lenses on it via an MFT adapter for Canon lenses or an MFT adapter for Nikon lenses? I was also wondering if I purchase the EF/ZF version of the camcorder, would I be able to use Nikon lenses via a Canon to Nikon adapter? I am aware of the passive fixture in the MFT version and the electronic advantage in the original version. And if you need an example, could I use a Canon 70-200 f2.8 on the MFT BMC via an adapter?

Hopefully you guys can answer this question, thanks! I'm also really anxious about this camera and I do plan on buying it really soon, right after I sell my Panasonic AG HMC80. (If anyone's interested in my AG HMC80 feel free to inquire about it)

João Gomes

Re: EF/ZF or MFT Lens Help!

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 12:38 pm

I Derrick. I believe you´re right.
I´ve been thinking about the same thing: get the MTF version so i can use mtf mount lenses and Ef lenses with adapter. The only problem with that (big one) is that you have no way of adjusting iris electronically also on the Ef lenses, unless of course, they are manual.

So, for me is either EF mount and compromise on the wider end, or mtf with eos adapter but beeing obliged to use manual lenses only. (or have a dslr at hand and use it to set iris, not very practical though...).
Cameraman/Editor

Eric Santiago

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 3:42 pm

Haha I would first stop calling it a "Camcorder" ;)

Derick Passram

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 5:28 pm

Thanks for the assurance. One more thing though, if I'm not mistaken Canon and nikon lenses have an aperture ring close to the mounting point, which is basically the iris. So I can manually set this while the lens is on the camera giving me manual control of the lens. Correct?

João Gomes

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 6:09 pm

No Derrick.
Only manual lenses have that ring. Most modern Canon and Nikon lenses don´t have manual iris control ring.
Cameraman/Editor

Derick Passram

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 7:01 pm

This is making me lean more towards the EF/ZF version. Because I was planning on using a 70-200 f2.8 or f4. Basically this means the MFT version for me is useless. This is sort of a downside. I'll just use the original EF/ZF version with a Nikon adapter and some Nikon/Canon lenses.

Clayton Burkhart

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 7:27 pm

Clayton Burkhart
www.edgework.me

Derick Passram

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 8:57 pm

Thanks for that link^ But how would I power that thing? Plus I would have to get another adapter for Nikon lenses, so that's another $545... Nearly $1,000+ in just adaptation solutions. I think it would be better for me to stick with the EF/ZF electronic mount. Because a wide angle Sigma wouldn't even cost $1,000 and it would solve the wide angle factor problem on the EF/ZF mount. Man, Black Magic Design should've thought about making the MFT mount passive ): Thanks for the adapter link though, if I change my mind, I might take that into consideration.

alexenman

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 9:16 pm

The crop factor should also be considered- you say you wish to use a 70-200mm. With a crop factor of 2.4x, you'll be playing more with a 168-480mm. That might be a bit long, unless you dig bird watching. The MFT mount will allow you to use lenses that are made for a sensor much closer to the size of the blackmagic cam.

Bill Rich

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 9:37 pm

You can search amazon/ebay and find plenty of Micro 4/3rds adapters for EF, Nikon, PL etc.. There are also adapters with built-in apertures for the modern lenses that have no aperture rings on the lenses and they are priced from pretty inexpensive to $$$.. So it's up to you to do your homework and decide which BMCC is the best option for you. For me I have a bunch of EF glass so I'm opting for the EF BMCC.. This might not be the right choice for you
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

Derick Passram

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 5:59 am

Thanks guys, but can someone post a link with those specialized adapters with the ability to control aperture without an insanely ridiculous price? Last one I checked was $545, not too bad but I was opting for something even lower.

Derick Passram

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 6:12 am

I still think I'm leaning more towards the EF/ZF mount BMCC. Because the closest my subjects get within a short film would be roughly covered by a 100mm lens, so theoretically I can purchase a 40mm pancake lens which would be the equivalent of 96mm prime. Wide and problem solved for me basically hah. In some ways, I think the 2.4 crop factor is actually a good thing, it allows you to save money if you're a telephoto cinematographer. I mean check this out, if you buy a 300mm prime, you're at 720mm. Insane.

Doug Lee Pictures

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 4:11 pm

My question then is will manual iris lenses work on the EF/ZF mount or do they have to be electronic?

Mikolaj Kepinski

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 4:48 pm

as long as they have an ef-zf mount then manual iris will work, dont see why it shouldnt since it doesnt need any power except for muscle power ;)
Compendium Productions

Camera:
BMCC EF Warsaw/Lodz

Cinematographer
Mikolaj Kepinski
cell: Poland +48 691-724-210
Norway +47 400-45-046

http://www.compendium-productions.com

Doug Lee Pictures

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 4:53 pm

I agree. Thanks!

Kai Rankio

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 6:09 pm

Derick Passram wrote:Thanks guys, but can someone post a link with those specialized adapters with the ability to control aperture without an insanely ridiculous price? Last one I checked was $545, not too bad but I was opting for something even lower.

Hi, this one might be for you?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Nt ... av-Search=

Derick Passram

PostThu Sep 20, 2012 4:04 pm

Thanks for the adapter link ;) but I think I have decided upon the EF/ZF mount.

Derick Passram

PostSat Sep 22, 2012 5:50 pm

Anyone have any rig suggestions?

Return to Cinematography