New Camera(s) for 2020?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Adam Langdon

New Camera(s) for 2020?

PostThu Jan 02, 2020 4:03 pm

I've been a fan of BMD cameras for a while. We've owned the BMMCC, Ursa Mini 4k, 4.6k, Pocket 4K & 6K.
The magic of BRAW has kept me in the BMD ecosystem, and I LOVE the workflow i have right now, totally based around it.

And i'm about to bite the bullet on the G2 UMP, but should i hold off?
Is a LF sensor in the works? Or even a new, modular design?

Is there ANY whiff of a rumor of a new body design?
Ursa Mini 12k +Rawlite - Cinema Camera 6k - SLR Magic APO Microprimes PL/EF - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 - Aputure Lighting

Xtreemtec

Re: New Camera(s) for 2020?

PostThu Jan 02, 2020 5:00 pm

nobody can tell you until NAB Las vegas begins.. :lol: :lol:

If there is anything new they will show it at NAB( April ) or at IBC (September) :)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Donnell Henry

PostFri Jan 03, 2020 4:47 am

In the last 2 or so years they’ve announced new cameras in late January or February.
GODS CREATE

Denny Smith

PostFri Jan 03, 2020 9:29 pm

Yes... However, we won’t know until BMD makes the announcement. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

John Griffin

PostSat Jan 04, 2020 8:11 am

BMPCC 6k with a 36x24mm sensor (same sensor as the S1/S1H and ArIII?) is the obvious move for BM if they can get it to run 60p on the full sensor.
Since I got my S1 I've found it increasingly difficult to find a reason to use my P4k.

kevin_p

PostSat Jan 04, 2020 5:26 pm

John Griffin wrote:Since I got my S1 I've found it increasingly difficult to find a reason to use my P4k.

Can you explain more?

rick.lang

New Camera(s) for 2020?

PostSat Jan 04, 2020 5:34 pm

John, you won’t find BRAW Q0 12bit log there! Seriously though, have you found it to be working well at its highest quality with continuous shoots that last more than an hour? Doesn’t overheat?
Rick Lang

Ellory Yu

PostSat Jan 04, 2020 5:35 pm

There's really no need for a new camera every year unless you just like toys. Learn to shoot and shoot well and the camera won't matter. Rather than a new camera, put the effort on improving color science and features/capabilities in existing camera firmware that helps the shooter's productivity and IQ.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

timbutt2

PostSat Jan 04, 2020 6:01 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:There's really no need for a new camera every year unless you just like toys. Learn to shoot and shoot well and the camera won't matter. Rather than a new camera, put the effort on improving color science and features/capabilities in existing camera firmware that helps the shooter's productivity and IQ.

Agreed! I have made several suggestions for such improvements. Especially regarding the Slate Metadata and Bluetooth app. Additionally improvements for BRAW Presets.

No need for a new camera this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

rick.lang

PostSat Jan 04, 2020 6:03 pm

Ellory, I just read about the new LG 8K OLED 65”-88” TVs. No need to acquire 8K footage since the TV will upscale as needed. No need for me to buy an 8K camera this year!
Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostSat Jan 04, 2020 7:50 pm

rick.lang wrote:Ellory, I just read about the new LG 8K OLED 65”-88” TVs. No need to acquire 8K footage since the TV will upscale as needed. No need for me to buy an 8K camera this year!

Rick no need for me to buy an 8K TV in the next 3-years.

Xtreemtec

PostSat Jan 04, 2020 9:55 pm

timbutt2 wrote:
rick.lang wrote:Ellory, I just read about the new LG 8K OLED 65”-88” TVs. No need to acquire 8K footage since the TV will upscale as needed. No need for me to buy an 8K camera this year!

Rick no need for me to buy an 8K TV in the next 3-years.

And still i have a Gut feeling that we will see a 8K Ursa soon... :roll: Why?? To compete and to be "first" as BMD often does.

They now have an:
8K Atem,
8K Hyperdeck,
8K Decklink card,
8K Teranex SDI > HDMI

So a 8K Ursa with Quadlink 12G output would complement the range of products..
I know it is crazy!! And for my feeling we dont need an 8K camera.. :roll: 4K is enough for now. 4K is not even a standard yet..
But why create a bunch of 8K products if you dont have the Camera for it to create the Content..

Problem will be, Once a 8K camera will hit the market, You also need some Infra to get the 8K signals from the Camera to the Atem. With cables we are talking 30/40 meters maximum.. If you already get that.. And need a lot of cables. So Fiber will be the solution to get 4x 12G link to the Atem.

So looking my Glass Sphere i see an 8K camera in the near future... I mean i was already surprised when the Pocket 6K came out.. And if you can house a 6K camera in that housing, Without the big cooling block that is behind the sensor of the Ursa's There is probably an 8K sensor around the corner that will do the job. The only question is, What will the price be @ mass production. As price is Key with BMD.

Another cam is see coming is a PTZ 12G robot cam. To run with the Atem controls. The Atem is "ready" for it.. So i guess the PTZ will not be far away either.. If they can get the price of all the mechanics right and squeezed.
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

rick.lang

New Camera(s) for 2020?

PostSat Jan 04, 2020 11:27 pm

It’s likely a challenge to get 8K cameras with the frame rates and raw codecs, but it can be done. However the load in post is considerably more onerous and costly for most. This may be a little like the current Mac Pro: deep pockets required.

Vendors will be there, but this starts to get difficult as a business strategy given the real lack of demand. My guess is that the sensor will have 8K but the deliverables won’t exceed 4K. Given the data requirements in the cameras, you might see an 8K 7680x4320 sensor readout but the camera optionally could scale it down internally to 6K or even 5K (5120x2160).
Rick Lang

Akpe Ododoru

PostSun Jan 05, 2020 12:21 am

Am not suppose to say anything yet (as its still hush hush) but towards the end of this year blackmagic will announce a new camera for 2021. Body design isn't that good but the specs and price is 100% mind blowing.

Please don't ask me for more info on this as i have already said too much.
Akpe Ododoru
Cinematographer
London
www.akpe.co.uk

timbutt2

PostSun Jan 05, 2020 1:13 am

My inside sources at NASA say that on Uranus all television broadcasts are already at 24K.

rick.lang

New Camera(s) for 2020?

PostSun Jan 05, 2020 5:51 am

Good to know Akpe, so we can get some sleep! Wake me up in a year’s time. Perhaps Adam can change the topic to “New Camera(s) for 2021.”
Rick Lang

John Griffin

PostSun Jan 05, 2020 9:32 am

kevin_p wrote:
John Griffin wrote:Since I got my S1 I've found it increasingly difficult to find a reason to use my P4k.

Can you explain more?

It's got very good colour ( V-LOG) which is very nearly as good as the P4k IME, It's got better DR, it's got a (very good) EVF, it's got way better internal battery life, It's got better high ISO / low light capability, it takes all my EF lenses without a crop factor and it's got a very good IBS, it has less aliasing and it's got a 24x36 size sensor which gives me more DOF options than a M43 sensor. The P4k has a better codec for sure but in most practical situations I can nail the exposure and WB close enough in the S1 with V-LOG not to need that extra leeway of BRAW which as I have found out is not entirely bombproof either. Lastly I've been seeing the data 'explosion' of shooting and storing BRAW and the S1's codec size is much more manageable.

John Griffin

PostSun Jan 05, 2020 9:37 am

rick.lang wrote:John, you won’t find BRAW Q0 12bit log there! Seriously though, have you found it to be working well at its highest quality with continuous shoots that last more than an hour? Doesn’t overheat?

V-LOG is proving to be very good as long as I don't make a hash of the exposure and WB (hard to do these days) and I don't do 1hr+ continuous takes so not had it overheat. (not heard any overheating stories either?)

rick.lang

PostSun Jan 05, 2020 11:44 am

Thanks, John. Sounds good for your purposes.
Rick Lang

Thibaud

PostSun Jan 05, 2020 6:42 pm

I don't think there's a point in releasing another camera. Blackmagic already has a wide range of cameras to offer with excellent codecs. 8K is totally useless and is just another storage nightmare.

The only one I might buy would be an updated Micro Studio with bluetooth, a very tiny integrated monitor for framing (1-2 inch), and decent lowlight performance (like BMPCC 4K).

Johan Cramer

PostSun Jan 05, 2020 8:43 pm

Well, an update of the Micro Cinema camera is overdue, since the current model can't even record raw video any more on officially listed, available SD cards. A new Micro could also gain (& greatly profit from) BRAW.

pnguyen720

PostSun Jan 05, 2020 9:15 pm

Is that correct that there hasn't been an update to the BRAW codec since its release for the BM URSA?

John Paines

PostSun Jan 05, 2020 9:32 pm

A BMPCC 4k/6k type camera type with an EVF and articulated screen wouldn't go to waste. That will have to happen sooner or later if BMD expects to remain competitive, so sooner would be better. A "cinema camera" this small makes no sense if it won't work small.

Steve Holmlund

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 3:44 pm

John Paines wrote:A BMPCC 4k/6k type camera type with an EVF and articulated screen wouldn't go to waste. That will have to happen sooner or later if BMD expects to remain competitive, so sooner would be better. A "cinema camera" this small makes no sense if it won't work small.

I agree with John that BMD need to enhance usability of their Pockets as the competition continues to improve their image quality. They may not have BRAW but if it gets good enough, things like EVF, IBIS, articulated screen, better battery life, etc. will start to tip the balance, for some at least.

IMHO.
Steve
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist
BMPCC, vintage Rokkor lenses, Olympus 12-40 and 12-100, Panasonic 100-300 II
SmallHD Focus, i7 8700k / GTX 1080

Que Thompson

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 4:09 pm

the most annoying thing about my pocket 4k is:
- no articulating screen, have to use external monitor
- battery life, have to use external battery
- form factor, too wide for gimbals

Since we have to use external monitors and batteries anyway, I think all three of these could be addressed with a new body like Z-Cam or a larger BM Micro.

Xtreemtec

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 11:15 am

Que Thompson wrote:the most annoying thing about my pocket 4k is:
- no articulating screen, have to use external monitor
- battery life, have to use external battery
- form factor, too wide for gimbals

Since we have to use external monitors and batteries anyway, I think all three of these could be addressed with a new body like Z-Cam or a larger BM Micro.

A larger BM Micro with HDMI and 12G-SDI output would be great. Really a need for a small formfactor camera that does 12G output now all the Atems are getting 12G.. 6G is dead guys..

Xtreemtec

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 2:08 pm

Well while reading a story about the new 8K broadcast lenses that will be used for the Olympics Tokyo 2020.
Then i saw this article. ;)

https://www.provideocoalition.com/is-blackmagic-designs-next-camera-an-8k-camera/

David Hutchinson

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 5:29 pm

Let's have better photo-sites rather than more!

Once you go to Full Frame you really need to start thinking about autofocus if you want to use that super low depth of field. I've been considering the FX9 but for the time being sticking with the G2 as Autofocus only works to 60fps.

As a wildlife cameraman I would love to have autofocus on my birds in flight at 150fps. I practice hard using manual focus with a 600mm lens and birds coming directly towards you me, but it's far from easy!

One of my efforts is below and although in slow motion it looks easy to track, when you speed it x3 it's anything but. I just miss it at a couple of points.

These are the sorts of usability improvements we need rather than more pixels.
HEADS UP - NO ONE IS WATCHING IN 4K - NO ONE!

Give us technology that helps make the job easier - .... please :-)

Rakesh Malik

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 6:04 pm

timbutt2 wrote:My inside sources at NASA say that on Uranus all television broadcasts are already at 24K.

Update: Natives of Uranus have been complaining about the broadcasts being hours late, and are asking Black Magic to raise the speed limit of light. No news on this front yet. In the mean time, the natives have been wondering why the 243 channels combined into such a fuzzy 24 megapixel image until they finally learned that they were different channels, rather than a single image mosaic :)
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Rakesh Malik

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 6:36 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Well while reading a story about the new 8K broadcast lenses that will be used for the Olympics Tokyo 2020.
Then i saw this article. ;)

I do think that BMD will release an 8K camera, but I do not expect it to have a competitive price tag. By "competitive" I'm referring to the fact that a "competitively" priced Pocket 6K would be priced at $5000, not $2500.

That's what will, I'm guessing, determine when BMD launches an 8K camera, not a few people complaining about 8K on the forums.

The 8K post ecosystem is geared toward the Olympics that are going to be filmed and broadcast in 8K, and while clearly hinting at a future 8K camera, don't indicate anything regarding timing for its release.

So Grant might reveal it as Black Magic's big NAB Product (which will as usual get shown up by the monster Resolve release that puts the smack down on the entire post industry again), and it might be three years from now... or in fall.

Given BMD's penchant for exceeding expectations on that front though I expect sooner rather than later, but but I also expect it to debut in the Ursa Mini form factor rather than in the Pocket form factor.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

howie4life

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 7:39 pm

David Hutchinson wrote:Let's have better photo-sites rather than more!

What do you mean no one is watching 4K? It may be a regional difference but almost all the Netflix/Prime/Youtube content I consume is 4K.

Que Thompson

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 8:15 pm

howie4life wrote:

What do you mean no one is watching 4K? It may be a regional difference but almost all the Netflix/Prime/Youtube content I consume is 4K.

Truthfully, there isn't much 4k that is streaming. I can name:
- Netflix (25 Mb/s)
- iTunes Rentals
- AppleTV+ (41 Mb/s)
- Amazon (10 Mb/s)
- DisneyPlus (25 Mb/s)
- YouTube

...maybe a few more + PlayStation 4 Pro and XBox 1 games. AT&T TV can't even handle 4k (using Apple TV), you have to change back to 1080p to stream to prevent lip sync issues.

No HBO, no ShowTime, no ESPN, no HGTV, no Food Channel, etc., no local channels.

This stuff is recorded at much higher bitrates, I would bet that an Alexa image recorded at standard HD and upscaled to 4k would look just as good as a RED, BM, Panasonic, etc. recorded at 4k and then streamed on these services.

4k is still early, 8k is a complete money grab imo.

howie4life

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 9:07 pm

I agree that 4K is still very young and online streaming services use very high compression. I think Spectrum still uses 720p/1080i for most cable channels. I can tell you though that for me there is a huge difference in image quality between up-scaled cable content and the compressed 4k streaming content. I sit about 8 feet from 70 inch 4k TV.

Que Thompson

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 9:20 pm

howie4life wrote:I can tell you though that for me there is a huge difference in image quality between up-scaled cable content and the compressed 4k streaming content. I sit about 8 feet from 70 inch 4k TV.

I sit about 16ft from my TV, 75", 4K, 10bit panel and I can't make out much of a difference. Especially when renting from iTunes. I notice a slight reduction in detail, but that's just me being critical. I don't find myself saying "I wish this was in 4k". All iTunes Marvel Movies are standard HD. Either Marvel or Star Wars or both... My wife doesn't notice a difference. We agree, I just wanted to clarify.

Side note, one of the best images I've seen on my TV is from my Pocket 4k, exported from Davinci Resolve in MXF format (HD) uploaded to Vimeo.

howie4life

PostThu Jan 09, 2020 3:59 am

Que Thompson wrote:
Side note, one of the best images I've seen on my TV is from my Pocket 4k, exported from Davinci Resolve in MXF format (HD) uploaded to Vimeo.

You sit double the distance that I do.. I think that makes a huge difference. I think at that distance you need something like a 140 inch tv to discern the difference lol. I consume all my personal content on my tv via usb drive on the tv. H265 4k and it looks glorious!

John Paines

PostThu Jan 09, 2020 4:05 am

howie4life wrote:I can tell you though that for me there is a huge difference in image quality between up-scaled cable content and the compressed 4k streaming content. I sit about 8 feet from 70 inch 4k TV.

In that case, you're not actually comparing HD to 4K. It's more an issue of upscaling algorithms versus highly compressed streaming. And most people wouldn't want to sit within 8 feet of a 70" TV. The fact that you have to do that to see the difference is no recommendation.

There's probably no point repeating this, but display resolution, whatever the advantage of higher resolution acquisition, has got to be the biggest fraud going. But don't take my word for it, google "Steven Yedlin", and look at his tests. The issue isn't whether there's what he's calls a "forensic" difference, but whether it's significant for the viewer. And we won't even start on the thoroughly sensible notion that high resolution destroys dramatic illusion.

John Griffin

PostThu Jan 09, 2020 8:10 am

I always try to work on a 4k screen even if the source is HD - it just looks better than on a native HD or even 2.7k screen. I've been pretty surprised how well HD material upscales to 4k and looks very good alongside native 4k footage. I've also been pretty disappointed with 4k footage downscaled to HD either played on 4k or displayed on HD. I'm all for higher resolution screens but pretty meh about high resolution capture.

David Hutchinson

PostThu Jan 09, 2020 10:05 am

So we all should love higher quality pictures because we're in "the Trade" - it's what we do - but what about Joe Public?

I was watching a major Photography Youtube streamer the other day who has over 1M subscribers and has been producing in 4K for 4 years. he's made the decision to go back to HD because fewer than 1.5% of his viewers watch in 4K. - Nobody cares -

When Terrestrial HD broadcasting started in the UK it looked beautiful, but because of the demand for more channels on the same multiplex bandwidth they have incrementally reduced the quality till it's almost indistinguishable to the SD versions.

I love the quality of my BMD cameras in 4K but I always deliver in HD, no one has ever asked me for 4K and when I've offered 4K I've had the reply "it's too much hassle for what it's worth."

I guess what I'm saying is we need to guide manufacturers away from this insane resolution increase to producing cameras with better tools that make the difficult jobs achievable.

And - not a fan of Sony - but this is why I'm tempted with the FX9. It keeps the high resolution (6K) where it makes sense - in camera, produces beautiful 4K deliverable files and has the added tools to deal with very difficult situations. BUT it's not there YET for me - there are downsides - On balance I prefer what the G2 gives me.

rick.lang

PostThu Jan 09, 2020 4:21 pm

The best image isn’t produced in camera. It’s post production. A better camera sensor, colour science, and capture codec gives you the tools for a better image out of post. But how I can bend that captured image to suit my artistic goals matters more than pixels once I begin with 4K/UHD to deliver 2K/HD. If I was ever asked for 4K deliverables, then I’d consider 6K.

I can’t speak to 8K, but I am astounded by the extremely low low bitrate for R3D 8K footage. The new king of the hill 1D X from Canon is using internal Canon raw 12bit with similar bitrates as raw on the Pocket6K. Feels like a better starting point.
Rick Lang

Steve Holmlund

PostThu Jan 09, 2020 6:15 pm

rick.lang wrote: I can’t speak to 8K, but I am astounded by the extremely low low bitrate for R3D 8K footage. The new king of the hill 1D X from Canon is using internal Canon raw 12bit with similar bitrates as raw on the Pocket6K. Feels like a better starting point.

If I'm not mistaken, the 1DX Mk III remains at 20 megapixels, same as the Mk II. Since this is Canon's flagship stills camera sold to professionals, I've got to believe that the feedback they got from their users prior to introduction was "better pixels" not "more pixels". There could be other reasons, of course, but I think this is one of them.

Steve
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist
BMPCC, vintage Rokkor lenses, Olympus 12-40 and 12-100, Panasonic 100-300 II
SmallHD Focus, i7 8700k / GTX 1080

Rakesh Malik

PostThu Jan 09, 2020 7:30 pm

rick.lang wrote:The best image isn’t produced in camera.
It’s post production.

To get the best image, you should strive to get as close to the final as possible in camera, no matter the camera.

A better camera sensor, colour science, and capture codec gives you the tools for a better image out of post.

All of these make the first stage easier... and frankly, I think that anyone who struggles to get a good image out of a Black Magic camera should give up and get out of filmmaking. They're very forgiving cameras...

But how I can bend that captured image to suit my artistic goals matters more than pixels once I begin with 4K/UHD to deliver 2K/HD. If I was ever asked for 4K deliverables, then I’d consider 6K.

You can make 4K deliverables using 4K on Black Magic cameras. You really don't need to downsample for 4K; Black Magic cameras can deliver good enough 4K in competent hands to pull it off without down sampling... so the extra resolution is really a luxury rather than a need.

I can’t speak to 8K, but I am astounded by the extremely low low bitrate for R3D 8K footage.

On a film I shot over the summer, I used a Pocket 4K for the gimbal shots and a Red Helium (Epic-W) for the rest. They cut together quite well, but even at 10:1 compression, the 8K footage definitely had more latitude to finagle in post than the braw did. Both cameras delivered more than enough latitude to enable me to do the graded I needed to for those shots, both had enough dynamic range for even the specular highlights.

There's a reason that so many companies try to upend Red's patents on Redcode, or just license the codec and take advantage of it.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

John Griffin

PostThu Jan 09, 2020 7:35 pm

"You can make 4K deliverables using 4K on Black Magic cameras. You really don't need to downsample for 4K"

The P4k with it's 1:1 sampling sensor is rather unsuited to some 4k delivery as it suffers from moire with fine detail.

Rakesh Malik

PostThu Jan 09, 2020 7:47 pm

John Griffin wrote:
"You can make 4K deliverables using 4K on Black Magic cameras. You really don't need to downsample for 4K"

The P4k with it's 1:1 sampling sensor is rather unsuited to some 4k delivery as it suffers from moire with fine detail.

It's not that hard to plan ahead (test) and avoid moire... but I think it's also a good reason for BMD to develop OLPFs for its cameras.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

John Brawley

PostFri Jan 10, 2020 12:55 am

howie4life wrote:

Unless it’s Netflix Original content I bet it’s not originated 4k.

Most major TV drama is still shot 1920. ProRes. Fox is still 720 !!!

There’s still a lot more overall eyeballs in network TV.

JB
(I have a few shows I did on Netflix right now, none of them shot 4k)
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

John Griffin

PostFri Jan 10, 2020 7:18 am

Rakesh Malik wrote:
John Griffin wrote:

It's not that hard to plan ahead (test) and avoid moire

My plan would be to use another camera.....

rick.lang

PostFri Jan 10, 2020 4:45 pm

John, in my last theatrical recording, the stage backdrop was often lit fairly brightly to emulate a sky. It looked normal in terms of colour gradient, but when I was editing it, this very tall backdrop seemed to be like large waves with peaks and valleys—looked awful—but I didn’t do anything like shifting pan and tilt a half pixel. Some of my clips were 1:1 and some had various OFX Zoom adjustments on an HD timeline.

When I rendered it in h.264, it was all good. So that moiré was just in Resolve’s Viewer perhaps. It was the first moiré that I’ve had on the BMPCC4K.

Was recorded in 4K BRAW Q0.
Rick Lang

howie4life

PostFri Jan 10, 2020 8:49 pm

John Brawley wrote:Unless it’s Netflix Original content I bet it’s not originated 4k.

Most major TV drama is still shot 1920. ProRes. Fox is still 720 !!!

There’s still a lot more overall eyeballs in network TV.
JB
(I have a few shows I did on Netflix right now, none of them shot 4k)

Yeah, most of the shows I'm talking about are Netflix originals (Dare Devil, Stranger Things etc..). The one TV show I watch on there (Into the badlands), I purposefully avoided watching the last season on TV and waited for it on Netflix because the quality was so much better there. There are definitely more eyeballs on Network TV but I feel like streaming is growing very fast, especially with a lot of people cutting the cord here in the states.

John Griffin

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 6:58 am

rick.lang wrote:John, in my last theatrical recording, the stage backdrop was often lit fairly brightly to emulate a sky. It looked normal in terms of colour gradient, but when I was editing it, this very tall backdrop seemed to be like large waves with peaks and valleys—looked awful—but I didn’t do anything like shifting pan and tilt a half pixel. Some of my clips were 1:1 and some had various OFX Zoom adjustments on an HD timeline.

When I rendered it in h.264, it was all good. So that moiré was just in Resolve’s Viewer perhaps. It was the first moiré that I’ve had on the BMPCC4K.

Was recorded in 4K BRAW Q0.

Rick, I can't see any reduction in moire or color aliasing when I output H264 in HD or UHD and it's preserved in it's entirety as I would expect from a 1:1 sampling sensor with no OLPF. Here's one solution that also incorporates an IR cut filter
https://rawlite.com/olpf-for-blackmagic ... camera-4k/
but it's not cheap and likley why BM don't fit them as standard. Native M43 lenses shot at wide ( optimal) apertures are going to be the worst and I now shoot adapted full frame lens which don't have the same high resolution so act as a kind of OLPF. Stopping down native M43 lenses to F5.6 or even F8 will do the same.

rick.lang

New Camera(s) for 2020?

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 7:19 am

Those are valuable observations! As you know I’m usually shooting ‘full frame’ Magic APO lenses that are more cinematic creamy than clinically sharp and I try to shoot at T5.6 which is easier on the BMPCC4K using the 3200 ISO that I stayed with on that recent shoot.
Rick Lang

Wayne Steven

PostSun Jan 12, 2020 5:50 am

A new Ursa X is likely to be improved. Never know about a new pocket, but a new micro with better sensor would get worth looking at.
Last edited by Wayne Steven on Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them
Next

Return to Cinematography