6K/4K LANC control

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Tyler Peck

6K/4K LANC control

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 9:02 pm

Hello

I know this has been posted before, but I would love a firmware update, if possible, to have LANC on the 6K. I know there are apps, but I find it cumbersome and frankly not professional to whip out my phone during a shoot. Recently shot a spot with a UMP G1 and BMPC6K and the cam op had to reach over and constantly check recording on his shoulder rig. Extremely inconvenient.

Any way to enable this via the 3.5mm port, Blackmagic? The USB-C is already being used for power and external drives.

Otherwise love the camera! My client was blown away by the quality.
Ty Peck
Editor • DP
www.typeck.com

Tyler Peck

Re: 6K/4K LANC control

PostSat Jan 25, 2020 6:06 pm

Guess I'm alone on this?
Ty Peck
Editor • DP
www.typeck.com

Denny Smith

PostThu Jan 30, 2020 2:40 am

The camera would need a physical Lanc connector and hardware in addition to software, so, no not possible to do with a FW update. Lanc was developed by Sony for camcorders — time to move on. :roll:
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Nick Heydon

PostThu Jan 30, 2020 7:10 am

I have one of these arriving the next few days (supposed to ship tomorrow) - it looks very promising and gives you a lot of control over what you want the buttons to be doing to the camera. It says the campaign is closed now, so I don't know if it's still possible to order - I hope so.

I guess it's essentially the same as an app, but with hardware buttons and more suitable than getting your phone out on location

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pbc- ... tm_term=#/

Sami Sanpakkila

PostThu Jan 30, 2020 9:46 am

I would really love to see a simple and cheap physical record trigger as well.

kalinska

PostThu Jan 30, 2020 12:39 pm

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=103495#p572913

it works wonderfully and it doesn't cost much
Ryzen 7-3800 - 48 Go - Win10 Pro X64 1809 - x BMPCC 4k /ATEM - Resolve Studio 18.6.2 - Decklink / Intensity Pro 4K - Nvidia 1080ti 537.58 et Nvidia 1660ti 528.49

Chris Leutger

PostThu Jan 30, 2020 11:19 pm

Nick Heydon wrote:I have one of these arriving the next few days (supposed to ship tomorrow) - it looks very promising and gives you a lot of control over what you want the buttons to be doing to the camera. It says the campaign is closed now, so I don't know if it's still possible to order - I hope so.

I guess it's essentially the same as an app, but with hardware buttons and more suitable than getting your phone out on location

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pbc- ... tm_term=#/

Let us know. I'm with Tyler, I love the little push-button LANC controller that I use with my Pocket 2K. And no, I don't want to be messing with my phone out in the field, unlocking, dropping, etc. No thanks.
Amateur Auteur

AMD 7800X3d 8c 5 GHz - GSkill DDR5-6000 (EXPO) 32x2
Nvidia 1080 Ti 8GB - WD SN850x 2 TB
Resolve 18.5 - Ubuntu 22.04

Tyler Peck

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 11:22 pm

kalinska wrote:https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=103495#p572913

it works wonderfully and it doesn't cost much

This is amazing. Just ordered a M5StickC and going to try it out. Thanks so much!

(Sorry been away from the forum for a bit)
Ty Peck
Editor • DP
www.typeck.com

Toby Angwin

PostFri Apr 10, 2020 4:18 am

It’s incredibly frustrating that there isn’t some approved Bluetooth or USB c to lanc option. I’ve got hand grips and motion control rigs that I can use with literally every other camera on the market. I wouldn’t even care if there were some non lanc protocol that I had to get new cables wired for.
Toby Angwin - Director/Compositor

http://www.soupkitchenfilms.net
@soupkitchen on Twitter
http://vimeo.com/soupkitchen

Denny Smith

PostFri Apr 10, 2020 4:32 am

The Pocket 4/6K Cameras are not the only new cameras not including LANC, the Nikon Z cameras also do not have LANC support/connections and are USBC. In the near future more USBC control or HDMI camera control options will be developed. Also, most professional cameras I have used (mostly Broadcast) do not have LANC. This is like asking for an 8-track player or cassette player on a new car, just because you have the tapes.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostFri Apr 10, 2020 8:20 pm

Denny Smith wrote:... This is like asking for an 8-track player or cassette player on a new car, just because you have the tapes.
Cheers

Or expecting a Mac Pro 2019 to support TOSLink Optical Audio in the audio out port like a measly iMac 2009 because you own an old 5.1 audio system! Some people just need to learn that Apple will always find a way to move on with improved gear and leave you crying.
Rick Lang

Chris Leutger

PostSat Apr 11, 2020 3:58 am

Denny Smith wrote: This is like asking for an 8-track player or cassette player on a new car, just because you have the tapes.
Cheers

These days it's like asking for a CD player in the rental car when I travel just because I still like to carry CD's....
Amateur Auteur

AMD 7800X3d 8c 5 GHz - GSkill DDR5-6000 (EXPO) 32x2
Nvidia 1080 Ti 8GB - WD SN850x 2 TB
Resolve 18.5 - Ubuntu 22.04

Denny Smith

PostSat Apr 11, 2020 5:18 am

Yes, my new truck lacks a CD player, only an Apple Play option, satellite radio or regular broadcast radio. It does have a USB input.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

lejujax

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 10:19 pm

After many attempts, there's a way to control the 4k/6k Pockets with a LANC to BT converter. It works perfectly ! This is Linnar (a genius) from vp-systems who did the whole work, I only lent it my Pocket... the goal was to be able to use the MöviController to MöviPro LANC capabilities and it's now totally usable 8-)

Theo Ribeiro

PostFri Aug 20, 2021 11:42 am

lejujax wrote:After many attempts, there's a way to control the 4k/6k Pockets with a LANC to BT converter. It works perfectly ! This is Linnar (a genius) from vp-systems who did the whole work, I only lent it my Pocket... the goal was to be able to use the MöviController to MöviPro LANC capabilities and it's now totally usable 8-)

Hi, do you have any more info on this? What is it and how can we get our hands on it?? I'd absolutely love a bluetooth to LANC or RS converter!

Thanks for any info.

Theo Ribeiro

Robert Niessner

PostSat Aug 21, 2021 10:14 pm

Theo Ribeiro wrote:
lejujax wrote:After many attempts, there's a way to control the 4k/6k Pockets with a LANC to BT converter. It works perfectly ! This is Linnar (a genius) from vp-systems who did the whole work, I only lent it my Pocket... the goal was to be able to use the MöviController to MöviPro LANC capabilities and it's now totally usable 8-)

Hi, do you have any more info on this? What is it and how can we get our hands on it?? I'd absolutely love a bluetooth to LANC or RS converter!

Thanks for any info.

It seems this is their website:
http://camremotes.com/

Their old website with some more info:
https://vp-systems.eu/camremote.html

The product in question seems to be the CAMremote
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------