Suggestion: Run and gun zoom optic OIS for 4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

helyfede

Suggestion: Run and gun zoom optic OIS for 4K

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 6:05 pm

Hi all. I now have Sigma 18-35 with viltrox but I soffer of fastidious vignetting. I use 4k resolution 8.1 braw.
I read on this forum with search function that is common problem. Searching for a m4/3 direct optic now, since not happy also with the viltrox glass.
Don't want to spend for a metabones since non resolving the vignetting problem.
I ask you expert, for a run and gun m4/3 optic with OIS with a sort of 12/35 or similar to use in a documentary travel to Malesia - jungle.
Thank you !!

Tim Kraemer

Re: Suggestion: Run and gun zoom optic OIS for 4K

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 9:15 pm

I keep seeing a recurring theme of requests for mass market/consumer features in Black Magic professional products. If your needs are filled by consumer level products, then you should purchase consumer level equipment and stop expecting it to be implemented in professional level products.

pnguyen720

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 9:25 pm

For M43 native, the best you can do is probably that Olympus 12-100mm f4.

Or you can go the Metabones EF + Canon 24-105mm f4 route.

robedge

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 9:40 pm

Tim Kraemer wrote:I keep seeing a recurring theme of requests for mass market/consumer features in Black Magic professional products. If your needs are filled by consumer level products, then you should purchase consumer level equipment and stop expecting it to be implemented in professional level products.

I can’t wait to see you give that advice to John Brawley, who participates in this forum, is a very successful professional cinematographer and sometimes shoots with Olympus MFT lenses on Blackmagic cameras :)

Who, in your view, makes “professional” MFT lenses? Does my Fujinon MK 18-55mm qualify? If not, why? If so, what other MFT lenses qualify?
Last edited by robedge on Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

Jamie LeJeune

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 9:46 pm

+1 for the Olympus 12 - 100 f4 IS

I own it and it’s my lens of choice for run and gun shooting with the 4K Pocket

The IS works really well. Less prone to stutter than the Panasonic m43 IS lenses
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Brad Hurley

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 9:49 pm

pnguyen720 wrote:For M43 native, the best you can do is probably that Olympus 12-100mm f4.

This is corroborated by lots of people; it apparently has the best IS of any native MFT lens. The only drawback is that it's only f4, but everyone seems happy with it. Do a search on this forum for Olympus 12-100 and you'll see some examples and discussion (Robert Niessner posted some stills, for example).
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

pnguyen720

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 10:42 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:
pnguyen720 wrote:For M43 native, the best you can do is probably that Olympus 12-100mm f4.

This is corroborated by lots of people; it apparently has the best IS of any native MFT lens. The only drawback is that it's only f4, but everyone seems happy with it. Do a search on this forum for Olympus 12-100 and you'll see some examples and discussion (Robert Niessner posted some stills, for example).

I'm going through this decision tree now.

I'm leaning hard towards the Metabones EF + Canon/Tamron/Sigma stabilized lenses since you can get down to at least f/2.8.

Ellory Yu

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 7:11 am

pnguyen720 wrote:
Brad Hurley wrote:

I'm going through this decision tree now.

I'm leaning hard towards the Metabones EF + Canon/Tamron/Sigma stabilized lenses since you can get down to at least f/2.8.

So if you're thinking Metabones EF + Canon/Tamron/Sigma, here's my recommendation:
If you have the extra $$ - Go with the Canon 17-55mm IS 2.8
You can get 99.98% equivalent quality with almost half the cost by going with the Sigma 17-50mm IS 2.8.

But if you're liking the MFT route, then the Olympus 12-100 IS is the way to go.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

John Griffin

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 7:54 am

helyfede wrote: to use in a documentary travel to Malesia - jungle.
Thank you !!

Maybe the P4k is not the best choice in these conditions and something with more weatherproofing may be more appropriate but +1 for the 12-100. I've sold all my M43 glass but kept this as it's so versatile.

helyfede

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 10:02 am

Tim Kraemer wrote:I keep seeing a recurring theme of requests for mass market/consumer features in Black Magic professional products. If your needs are filled by consumer level products, then you should purchase consumer level equipment and stop expecting it to be implemented in professional level products.

I think different. The line between pro and cons product is very tiny and not simply definable as you're mentioning. But this is not the post to talk about that. Sorry if I trouble you.

helyfede

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 10:29 am

Any experience with the Lumix gvario 12-35 OIS ?

rick.lang

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 2:51 pm

I don’t use the Olympus Pro 12-100mm f/4, but John Brawley also recommends it. It is a stills lens than can certainly give good results when used for video. If you plan to do long zooms while recording, it may not be the best choice, but if you think you’ll mostly use it as a variable prime lens (meaning you frame your zoom first and then focus).

Rob has the Fujinon MK 18-55 T2.9 and you pickup a stop of light but lose the OIS. That may not matter if you tend to use a tripod or perhaps a monopod, but handheld the OIS may be an important criteria for you. However the Fujinon is parfocal and supports 82mm screw-on Filters.
Rick Lang

pnguyen720

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 6:17 pm

helyfede wrote:Any experience with the Lumix gvario 12-35 OIS ?

It's a great lens with decent OIS but the focus by wire irritates the hell out of me.

Brad Hurley

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 6:23 pm

pnguyen720 wrote:
helyfede wrote:Any experience with the Lumix gvario 12-35 OIS ?

It's a great lens with decent OIS but the focus by wire irritates the hell out of me.

Me too. The barrel distortion at the wide end is pretty awful as well, but at least it can be fixed in post.

The focus-by-wire issue is another plus for Olympus lenses (including the pro series primes, which are excellent and fast lenses, well suited to the Pocket 4K), since they have a manual focus clutch.

Personally I prefer manual (and clickless) aperture and focus; I don't know of any image-stabilized lenses that offer that combination but I'm using a glidecam these days so IS isn't really a priority for me. For better portability at the sacrifice of some image quality I may at some point get an Olympus EM1 (the mark III version is coming out soon), which has very good IS and I've seen some nice-looking footage from it, including from John Brawley. Or if I get rich I'll get the Leica Sl2. ;)
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Return to Cinematography