TILTA MINI MATTE BOX & FOLLOW FOCUS | REVIEW on the BMPCC6K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Florent Piovesan

TILTA MINI MATTE BOX & FOLLOW FOCUS | REVIEW on the BMPCC6K

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 11:19 am

Here is my review of the new Tilta Mini Matte Box and Follow Focus.

I am posting this here since I found them to work really well with the BMPCC6K.
I think these two products are great if you’re looking into stepping up a bit but don’t really want to break the bank or to add too much bulk to your rig.

Let me know if you have any question :).

Cheers,
Florent
https://www.oftwolands.com

robedge

Re: TILTA MINI MATTE BOX & FOLLOW FOCUS | REVIEW on the BMPC

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 12:57 pm

Excellent overview. At 02:21 you say “If you intend to use proper cinema glass, then you will most likely use a proper one.” By “proper one”, I assume you mean a “proper follow focus”. Does that mean that you would recommend your US$500 Wooden Camera Zip over the $100 Tilta for people using cinema lenses? If so, what’s the reason?

If you have used Chrosziel’s DV Studio Rig follow focus, which is $800 in the U.S., do you have a view on how it compares to these?

Re matte boxes... After looking at a number of matte box solutions, I went with Lee Filters’s Lee100 system and I’m happy that I did. Accommodates up to three filters, including the Lee/Panavision IRND filters, plus, if desired, a round circular or linear polariser. Unlike Lee’s previous holder, the new one, which was introduced in 2019, does not accept filters that are 4mm thick. However, Lee support tells me that they have many requests for a block that takes 4mm filters and it is being discussed.

Salut

Sean van Berlo

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 2:30 pm

What size threaded filters does it take? Some 4x4 filters are three times the price of their threaded counterparts. Thanks!
Last edited by Sean van Berlo on Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robedge

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 2:34 pm

Sean van Berlo wrote:Does the matte box take threaded filters as well? Some 4x4 filters are three times the price of their threaded counterparts.

He says yes at 04:36.

robedge

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 2:42 pm

Hi Sean,

Re your amended question, it takes the same size screw-in filters as the adapter ring that you’re using. Example: https://tilta.com/shop/62mm-adapter-rin ... matte-box/

Sean van Berlo

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 3:06 pm

Haha yes, I realized as I read it back that I had had a brainfart. But presumably that will not work with step-down filters, hm that's a bit of a bummer.

Ellory Yu

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 5:53 pm

robedge wrote:Excellent overview. At 02:21 you say “If you intend to use proper cinema glass, then you will most likely use a proper one.” By “proper one”, I assume you mean a “proper follow focus”.

Wait! What does follow focus have to do with cinema glass. Someone is confusing the matte box with follow focus. They are two different things serving different purposes.

robedge wrote:Does that mean that you would recommend your US$500 Wooden Camera Zip over the $100 Tilta for people using cinema lenses? If so, what’s the reason?
If you have used Chrosziel’s DV Studio Rig follow focus, which is $800 in the U.S., do you have a view on how it compares to these?

Although the Tilta Mini Matte Box will allow for a 4x5 glass, its lens diameter is only 82mm so it can only clamp on lenses up to 82mm in front diameter. This is fine with most still lenses and some cine lenses (like the Rokinon and Samyang). It will not work on cinema lenses with larger front diameter. Therefore, that is the reason to go with another matte-box, like from Wooden, Bright Tangent, Chrosziels, and others that have larger diameter opening.

I have both the Bright Tangerine and the Tilta Mini Matte Box. I like the size of the Mini on my lenses that takes circular filters (at 82mm). It's great on the Pocket 6K and UMP G2, both of which I use. I'm sure it will work just as well with the P4K. If I'm using my Cine lenses with 114mm and 133mm front diameter, then the Bright Tangerine is it.

robedge wrote:Re matte boxes... After looking at a number of matte box solutions, I went with Lee Filters’s Lee100 system and I’m happy that I did. Accommodates up to three filters, including the Lee/Panavision IRND filters, plus, if desired, a round circular or linear polariser. Unlike Lee’s previous holder, the new one, which was introduced in 2019, does not accept filters that are 4mm thick. However, Lee support tells me that they have many requests for a block that takes 4mm filters and it is being discussed.

Lee100 system is not a matte-box. It is a filter holder. Matte-box have functionalities that filter holder and shades done do. For one, it can shape to block unwanted lighting that can cause flares and glares.

Lee filters are okay for general consumer level quality but they are no Tiffen, Schneider, or high quality glass filters. These high end filters have specialize coatings that does a lot of things to filter light coming into the lens. That's why you pay more.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

robedge

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 6:24 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:Lee100 system is not a matte-box. It is a filter holder. Matte-box have functionalities that filter holder and shades done do. For one, it can shape to block unwanted lighting that can cause flares and glares.

Lee filters are okay for general consumer level quality but they are no Tiffen, Schneider, or high quality glass filters. These high end filters have specialize coatings that does a lot of things to filter light coming into the lens. That's why you pay more.

Your response misunderstands my questions, but I’ll comment on the above,

First, you don’t understand the Lee system. Secondly, the Lee/Panavision IRND filters, which I refer to in my post, are the same filters that Panavision rents and sells for cinematography. Indeed, Panavision owns Lee. I suspect that it’s Lee that manufactures the filters.

But I totally get where you’re coming from. I’ve read your rant today about YouTuber and people purchasing “professional” Blackmagic cameras who should be buying “consumer” or “prosumer” gear. The problem is, you don’t know what you are talking about, starting with the Lee/Panavision filters that you just trashed.

Ellory Yu

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 6:42 pm

robedge wrote:
Ellory Yu wrote:Lee100 system is not a matte-box. It is a filter holder. Matte-box have functionalities that filter holder and shades done do. For one, it can shape to block unwanted lighting that can cause flares and glares.

Your response misunderstands my questions, but I’ll comment on the above,

First, you don’t understand the Lee system. Secondly, the Lee/Panavision IRND filters, which I refer to in my post, are the same filters that Panavision rents and sells for cinematography. Indeed, Panavision owns Lee. I suspect that it’s Lee that manufactures the filters.

But I totally get where you’re coming from. I’ve read your rant today about YouTubers and people purchasing “professional” Blackmagic cameras who should be buying “prosumer” gear. The problem is, you don’t know what you are talking about, starting with the Lee filters that you just trashed.

Lee/Panavision IRND filters are branding only. It's called marketing bud.
I'm not trashing Lee filters. Like everything else, they have their place and use, and of course audience that they want to sell too. I can see you have some nice wares but they're way beyond your league.
I know what I'm talking about and have enough notch on my belt to stand by it. I won't debate and end up responding to a troll down the road. Let me help you sir - get up to speed on things first before remarking like the big boys. Fin.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

robedge

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 7:04 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:Lee/Panavision IRND filters are branding only. It's called marketing bud.

No doubt you have evidence for that claim, which contradicts public statements made by Lee and its parent company Panavision. Waiting.

Florent Piovesan

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 9:20 pm

robedge wrote:Excellent overview. At 02:21 you say “If you intend to use proper cinema glass, then you will most likely use a proper one.” By “proper one”, I assume you mean a “proper follow focus”. Does that mean that you would recommend your US$500 Wooden Camera Zip over the $100 Tilta for people using cinema lenses? If so, what’s the reason?

Re matte boxes... After looking at a number of matte box solutions, I went with Lee Filters’s Lee100 system and I’m happy that I did. Accommodates up to three filters, including the Lee/Panavision IRND filters, plus, if desired, a round circular or linear polariser. Unlike Lee’s previous holder, the new one, which was introduced in 2019, does not accept filters that are 4mm thick. However, Lee support tells me that they have many requests for a block that takes 4mm filters and it is being discussed.

Salut

Thanks !!
Yes I meant a proper follow focus. I wouldn't recommend the WC in particular, just any that allows for longer throws basically and without the locked hard stops.
And I don't know about the LEE system, sounds pretty good though :).
Thanks for watching !!

Florent Piovesan

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 9:21 pm

Sean van Berlo wrote:What size threaded filters does it take? Some 4x4 filters are three times the price of their threaded counterparts. Thanks!

It takes 4x5.65 filters and threaded ones up to 82mm :).

Florent Piovesan

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 9:26 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:
robedge wrote:Excellent overview. At 02:21 you say “If you intend to use proper cinema glass, then you will most likely use a proper one.” By “proper one”, I assume you mean a “proper follow focus”.

Wait! What does follow focus have to do with cinema glass. Someone is confusing the matte box with follow focus. They are two different things serving different purposes.

robedge wrote:Does that mean that you would recommend your US$500 Wooden Camera Zip over the $100 Tilta for people using cinema lenses? If so, what’s the reason?

Although the Tilta Mini Matte Box will allow for a 4x5 glass, its lens diameter is only 82mm so it can only clamp on lenses up to 82mm in front diameter. This is fine with most still lenses and some cine lenses (like the Rokinon and Samyang). It will not work on cinema lenses with larger front diameter. Therefore, that is the reason to go with another matte-box, like from Wooden, Bright Tangent, Chrosziels, and others that have larger diameter opening.

I have both the Bright Tangerine and the Tilta Mini Matte Box. I like the size of the Mini on my lenses that takes circular filters (at 82mm). It's great on the Pocket 6K and UMP G2, both of which I use. I'm sure it will work just as well with the P4K. If I'm using my Cine lenses with 114mm and 133mm front diameter, then the Bright Tangerine is it.

robedge wrote:Re matte boxes... After looking at a number of matte box solutions, I went with Lee Filters’s Lee100 system and I’m happy that I did. Accommodates up to three filters, including the Lee/Panavision IRND filters, plus, if desired, a round circular or linear polariser. Unlike Lee’s previous holder, the new one, which was introduced in 2019, does not accept filters that are 4mm thick. However, Lee support tells me that they have many requests for a block that takes 4mm filters and it is being discussed.

Lee100 system is not a matte-box. It is a filter holder. Matte-box have functionalities that filter holder and shades done do. For one, it can shape to block unwanted lighting that can cause flares and glares.

The follow focus definitely has to do with cinema glass when the rotation of it doesn't allow to go full circle on a cinema glass since the hard stops are locked.. "Someone" is NOT confusing the matte box with follow focus..

robedge

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 9:36 pm

Florent Piovesan wrote:Thanks !!
Yes I meant a proper follow focus. I wouldn't recommend the WC in particular, just any that allows for longer throws basically and without the locked hard stops.
Thanks for watching !!

Good, your video is very helpful, as is your comment above.

Merci

Paul Jonathan

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 9:55 pm

Will this take the 77mm SLR-Magic Vario-ND? It has a 82mm outer diameter, but the screw-in size is 77mm. And if it does fit, is there still space to operate the handle in order to rotate the filter and adjust the setting?

Florent Piovesan

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 9:57 pm

robedge wrote:
Florent Piovesan wrote:Thanks !!
Thanks for watching !!

Good, your video is very helpful, as is your comment above.

Merci

No worries :)

Chris Leutger

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 10:39 pm

Paul Jonathan wrote:Will this take the 77mm SLR-Magic Vario-ND? It has a 82mm outer diameter, but the screw-in size is 77mm. And if it does fit, is there still space to operate the handle in order to rotate the filter and adjust the setting?

That's a good question. I have the same setup, I plan (planned?) to use a stacked Hoya IRUV Cut with the SLR Magic Vario-ND and hadn't thought about that handle. Good question.

I just bought the EdelKrone Follow Focus before this came out, so I'm good on that score though for quite a bit more money....

I have the old Lee system and was annoyed there was no upgrade path for the issues with that one...
Amateur Auteur

AMD 7800X3d 8c 5 GHz - GSkill DDR5-6000 (EXPO) 32x2
Nvidia 1080 Ti 8GB - WD SN850x 2 TB
Resolve 18.5 - Ubuntu 22.04

robedge

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 11:06 pm

Chris Leutger wrote:I have the old Lee system and was annoyed there was no upgrade path for the issues with that one...

When I was purchasing, I saw lots of debate on the internet about whether upgrading is worth it. I have no experience with the old holder, but I think that the new one is worth it for the locking mechanism and what appear to be overall user improvements. However, the old holder takes 4mm thick filters and the new one doesn’t, although Lee support tells me that they are considering making a block that will.

One thing I’ll say is that Lee support is really good, super fast responding to questions. I sent them an e-mail at about 6:00 p.m. New York time on a Friday night and got a substantive response about two hours later. I guess they have people responding to questions in both Hampshire, England and the Panavision/Lee California office.
Last edited by robedge on Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Florent Piovesan

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 11:15 pm

Paul Jonathan wrote:Will this take the 77mm SLR-Magic Vario-ND? It has a 82mm outer diameter, but the screw-in size is 77mm. And if it does fit, is there still space to operate the handle in order to rotate the filter and adjust the setting?

I don't think you can since there wouldn't be enough space to fit the handle. I really think that this matte box is built for nd, both 4x5.65 and fixed circular ones.

Chris Leutger

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 11:28 pm

I've come to the conclusion that if I got it I would have to use the Hoya and then single ND filters in the Matte Box. But I've lived without one for a long time so I'll survive, the flag was the thing I thought would be helpful. Or get the Bright Tangerine if I'm so inclined.

The Lee system looks plasticky and I've seen complaints about the feel and use. I should probably mess around with the old one. I got it to use the Big Stopper on my 4x5. Also for using B&W filters. Who knows, it might work fine on my video setup.

Florent, thanks for the review. The one takeaway for me was the Small Rig single rod piece. I'm going to see if that one will work for my cage (old BMPCC). Then I could use my new EdelKrone follow focus without the whole rail system.
Amateur Auteur

robedge

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 11:52 pm

Chris Leutger wrote:Or get the Bright Tangerine if I'm so inclined.

If you’re interested in Bright Tangerine, maybe keep an eye on B&H 24 hour sales. On January 16, it had the Bright Tangerine Misfit Atom Pola+ matte box on for US$300, within a few dollars of half price. This is not the first time it has had a 24 hour sale on BT products. I considered it, but decided against. As I understand it, it was designed with gimbals in mind. There are design features that I’m not keen on, and options that I would want that would increase the price significantly. It’s still $100 off as of this evening: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... e_box.html

Chris Leutger

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 12:10 am

Thanks! But that's outta my league. I'm currently trying to convince myself that I need the Grace over the Vark...Right now, I'm digging through the closet looking for my Lee Foundation kit.....
Amateur Auteur

robedge

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 12:35 am

Chris Leutger wrote:Thanks! But that's outta my league. I'm currently trying to convince myself that I need the Grace over the Vark...Right now, I'm digging through the closet looking for my Lee Foundation kit.....

Thanks, I got a good chuckle out of that post. I get it, totally :)

For the curious, Chris’s reference to Grace and Vark (sounds like a Robin Williams movie) is about this post and following; there are even photos: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=105319#p585776

Dmytro Shijan

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 6:05 am

By the way, it is possible to remove follow focus hard stops as described here:

BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Florent Piovesan

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 10:00 pm

Dmitry Shijan wrote:By the way, it is possible to remove follow focus hard stops as described here:

Yeah I am sure you can remove them, I was more talking about the fact that you can't override them :).

Chris Leutger

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 1:01 am

I like that video that shows that you can remove them. It follows along with Florent's video that they're good value for the money and a good place to start for people that might not be committed to or need that sort of thing, but want to try it out. Or want something lightweight and easy for on the go. I saw a roundup somewhere of six different follow-focus units and even the expensive ones have some issues. Hats off to Tilta for giving us a budget option.
Amateur Auteur

Florent Piovesan

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 1:03 am

Chris Leutger wrote:I like that video that shows that you can remove them. It follows along with Florent's video that they're good value for the money and a good place to start for people that might not be committed to or need that sort of thing, but want to try it out. Or want something lightweight and easy for on the go. I saw a roundup somewhere of six different follow-focus units and even the expensive ones have some issues. Hats off to Tilta for giving us a budget option.

Totally agree, I find that follow focus are some of the most overpriced pieces of equipment one can buy.

robedge

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 1:40 am

Chris Leutger wrote:...people that might not be committed to or need that sort of thing, but want to try it out.

Florent Piovesan wrote:I find that follow focus are some of the most overpriced pieces of equipment one can buy.

I’m in the same boat as Chris. My solution is to rent a follow focus for a weekend and find out whether the benefit outweighs the cost. When I asked for a hypothetical opinion, the B&H video department suggested a Wooden Camera Zip, which Florent has, or a Chrosziel DV Studio Rig, which are US$500 and $800 respectively. Not small change, and it’s possible to spend a lot more. Now wireless with a motor appears to be all the rage, although I gather that the main rationale for wireless is gimbals.

As I understand it, follow focus was developed for situations where the camera operator and the focuser are different people. It’s unclear to me what the benefit is if they are the same person, particularly if the camera is locked down well on a tripod or even on a monopod. Also curious to know how much performance one gives up with a follow focus that fits to one rod rather than two.

It would be interesting to know where Florent finds a follow focus useful.

Cheers/Salut!

Dmytro Shijan

PostSat Feb 01, 2020 5:17 pm

Another useful video tutorial:

Dmytro Shijan

PostSat May 02, 2020 5:21 pm

This is my first Follow Focus and must say after some modifications i totally like it.

List of modifications:
1. Removed hard stops (hard stops design really not user friendly here)
2. Removed extended mount joint.
3. Installed DIY Start/Stop PWM button trigger inside rod. Search for "Button Switch 10mm"

4. I'm thinking to add NATO SmallRig SWAT Rail Clamp 1245. This will allow quick move rod up and down and will provide more flexible adjustment of Follow Focus wheel angle.

As a Follow Focus gears i use FLEX Seamless Follow Focus Gear https://www.ebay.com/itm/FLEX-Seamless- ... 1897239879

There are also very similar (but seems softer and more flexible) new Tiltaing Seamless Focus Gear Ring
https://tilta.com/shop/seamless-focus-gear-ring/

Leon Benzakein

PostSun May 03, 2020 2:40 pm

Dmitry Shijan wrote:

Hi Dmitry

What device are you using to attach your monitor to the handle?
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Dmytro Shijan

PostSun May 03, 2020 4:19 pm

Leon Benzakein wrote:Hi Dmitry
What device are you using to attach your monitor to the handle?

It is a CAMVATE 15mm micro Rod Mount https://www.camvate.com/camvate-15mm-mi ... p1543.html
But you need to modify it with normal hex key screw because in original design it is impossible to tight screw enough by hand and it always unscrews when monitor body became warm. Also that original screw is too long and it will not fit to SmallHD monitor threaded hole.
Modification:
Unscrew 4 tiny screws under rubber cover and take it apart.
Remove original screw and red colored screw attachment.
Put 1/4-20 button head screw inside, and assemble parts.

P.S. I suggested the idea of this part to SmallRig long time ago, but they are not interested because this simple tiny rod totally annihilates their more expensive NATO EVF mounts system :)

On Shoulder rig you can use it with A MiniMart Notched 15MM Rod Clamp 100mm Spacing like this:

Leon Benzakein

PostSun May 03, 2020 7:05 pm

Dmitry Shijan wrote:It is a CAMVATE 15mm micro Rod Mount

Thank you, that is a good find.
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Chris Chiasson

PostSat May 30, 2020 4:03 pm

Trying to decide on a good polarizer for the Tilta Matte Box Mini. My main use for it would be to help against reflections when filming actors through windows. Not sure which is best for that, circular or linear.

ADRIAN-ZAHARIA

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 9:31 am

Hi guys,

I want to order some focus ring from Tilta but I have some questions...on that Canon lens list the 100mm 2.8L IS macro appears two times with two different measurement. Tilta is not responding to emails...so if anyone knows I would appreciate. Also I need a ring for a Canon 35mm 2.0 IS. I did my own measurement with callipers but then all the Tilta measurement are wrong....and yes I know how to use it!

mark.sze

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 7:08 pm

ADRIAN-ZAHARIA wrote:Hi guys,

I want to order some focus ring from Tilta but I have some questions...on that Canon lens list the 100mm 2.8L IS macro appears two times with two different measurement. Tilta is not responding to emails...so if anyone knows I would appreciate. Also I need a ring for a Canon 35mm 2.0 IS. I did my own measurement with callipers but then all the Tilta measurement are wrong....and yes I know how to use it!

I recently wanted to get some for my Zeiss Milvus lenses and, same as you, I found the measurements I did didn't match what they had on the website for the same lenses.

I measured my lenses by wrapping a piece of paper around the barrel and working out the diameter, then bought those sizes and they fit. So, I wouldn't use the measurements they have for lenses, just work it out yourself - at least the ring sizes are correct :)

ClaudeChiarot

PostTue Jan 26, 2021 11:42 am

Not sure others have experience with the Tilta Mini Mattebox, but I have issue with the one I received.
With the mattebox I have ordered some NISI ND filters.
The filters cannot slide into the mattebox without strong force, and removing the filters is a pain.
I made some measurement on the mattebox and the filter.
The filter width is 101.6mm and thickness at 4mm.
The mattebox rail width is 4.2mm and openning is just at 101.45 (shorther than the filter).
So with the mattebox plastic deformation and softness, there not enough gaps for a smooth operation.

Have you met the same problem?

I was hesitating to buy the Misfit Atom for the cost, but now I'm going to place an order for it and return the Tilta one.

Florent Piovesan

PostTue Jan 26, 2021 5:13 pm

ClaudeChiarot wrote:Not sure others have experience with the Tilta Mini Mattebox, but I have issue with the one I received.
The filters cannot slide into the mattebox without strong force, and removing the filters is a pain.
The mattebox rail width is 4.2mm and openning is just at 101.45 (shorther than the filter).
So with the mattebox plastic deformation and softness, there not enough gaps for a smooth operation.

I was hesitating to buy the Misfit Atom for the cost, but now I'm going to place an order for it and return the Tilta one.

I have the same setup (shown in the video) and never had any issues.
It is a bit tricky sometimes to get the filter in and out but it does work for me.
Did you get the IRND ?

ClaudeChiarot

PostTue Jan 26, 2021 5:45 pm

Hi Florent,

Yes I have the IRND, the same as yours.
There is no way I can place a filter smoothly as you do, it's too tight. I can insert it for 5 cm and shake it strongly, no way the filter will fall. So full insertion take a hudge effort, removing the filter is even worse.

Unfortunatelly I don't have other filter to check with.

ClaudeChiarot

PostTue Jan 26, 2021 6:38 pm

A side note regarding Tilta support.
This morning I sent a message to Tilta support, through their website.

I just received a feedback, at this point just saying they are sending the info to the right person.
Not sure how they can help with this but at least they are responsive.
I think it is worth noticing it.

Harold Tomlinson

PostTue Jan 26, 2021 6:51 pm

I also have the Tiltaing Mini MatteBox and some NISI IRND filters. I have not measured my filters but I can tell they are not the same size since they don't all fit the same. My darkest filter is tight (but not too bad) while the lighter ones slide in and out easily. If it was too tight, I would consider doing a slight sanding of the matte box to make the fit better.
---
Resolve Studio 18.1.1 /Fusion Studio 18.1.1
Mac Pro 2019 - 2.5 GHz 28-Core 240 GB
- AMD Radeon Pro W5700X 16 GB + Radeon VII 16GB
BMPCC6k - BMPCC4k - GH5s - GH4 - GoPro Hero 7 Black
vimeo.com/haroldtomlinson
creacom.smugmug.com

ClaudeChiarot

PostTue Jan 26, 2021 7:42 pm

Thanks for the info.
As Titla's mattebox has no locking mechanism, the system rely on friction and tight gaps. Unfortunately with limit parts it doesn't work well.
Too bad because I like this small matte box.

Yes I have considered sanding, I'm hesitating because if I messe it I cannot return it and I think we should not have to to it.
I need to look if I have the right tool.

I'll see after a sleep what direction I take.

Harold Tomlinson

PostTue Jan 26, 2021 8:24 pm

Actually, it does have a lock. There is a small pin in the bottom left corner. That is where it get's awkward with the 7-stop NISI. It is hard to remove that one from the box and having to pull the pin at the same time makes it harder. When I use the 3 and 5-stop glass, I am glad the pin is there.
---
Resolve Studio 18.1.1 /Fusion Studio 18.1.1
Mac Pro 2019 - 2.5 GHz 28-Core 240 GB
- AMD Radeon Pro W5700X 16 GB + Radeon VII 16GB
BMPCC6k - BMPCC4k - GH5s - GH4 - GoPro Hero 7 Black
vimeo.com/haroldtomlinson
creacom.smugmug.com

ClaudeChiarot

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 8:10 am

OK, I looked on YT and forums reviews, many bought it and only use circular filters, others never mentioned that some filters might be difficult to insert.

Tilta started to say the it's a compatibility issue with the ND's. So, I'll return mine, despite I like this small matte box.

I think it's not worth sanding the rail, as it's very difficult to insert the filter, there is too much material to remove. And there is no guaranty that the next filter I purchase will fit properly.

dn9909

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 5:47 pm

Florent Piovesan wrote:
ClaudeChiarot wrote:Not sure others have experience with the Tilta Mini Mattebox, but I have issue with the one I received.

I have the same setup (shown in the video) and never had any issues.
It is a bit tricky sometimes to get the filter in and out but it does work for me.
Did you get the IRND ?

Do the filters fit better with the new Smallrig matte box?

Mark Foster

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 6:15 pm

framed filters do not fit in the tilta mini mattebox nor in the mattebox from smallrig !

IMG_6397.jpeg
IMG_6397.jpeg (184.18 KiB) Viewed 6245 times
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

dn9909

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 6:31 pm

Mark Foster wrote:framed filters do not fit in the tilta mini mattebox nor in the mattebox from smallrig !

IMG_6397.jpeg

Are the NiSi IRND's framed?

Mark Foster

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 6:37 pm

cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

ClaudeChiarot

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 6:50 pm

NISI filter are not framed.
The issue with the Tilta matte box is that the distance between the two rails is slightly smaller than 4 inch.
If the ND is 4 inch width (which is the standard), the filter cannot be inserted.

I think Tilta has dimensioned the rail to be tight to avoid filter motion when the filters are in place.
Maybe the model I received has some deformations, as result some filters, in the higher range of filter width cannot be inserted properly.

Cooper

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 6:40 pm

a bit offtopic but...
adapter.jpg
adapter
adapter.jpg (231.38 KiB) Viewed 5366 times

finally found a fitting adapter/mounting ring for the tilta t03 matte box (stupid plastic thingies) from smallrigs lightweight matte box, which has almost the same dimensions as the t03... t03 needs to loose more weight somehow.
Next

Return to Cinematography