Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

John Oliva

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostWed Aug 14, 2013 1:59 pm

John Bartman wrote:Blackmagics consequential silence to its customers is a marketing strategy that is bound to backfire

Maybe its time for us to start a new sign up list complaining collectively to blackmagic (not that they will take note, more probably they will shut down the thread)

Great Idea!

John Oliva

PostWed Aug 14, 2013 2:14 pm

If you bought the BMCC at the original price and would like to see Blackmagic address the issue of the one day $1000 price drop and do something to show us that they care about our future business please respond and rally around this post.

If you didnt buy the camera at the original $2995 price or don't feel Blackmagic owes us anything please stay off the thread... Nobody is whining here. We simply want to be treated like the good customers we are.

There is strength in numbers so let's tell Blackmagic how good customers should be treated.

Thank you,
John

photostrobist

PostWed Aug 14, 2013 4:22 pm

I am very sad. had to have received my BMCcamera on Monday from BH and UPS people lost my shipping . nobody knows where my camera.

And i have a weeding this weekend. i dontknow what todo :shock:

Fahnon Bennett

PostWed Aug 14, 2013 6:08 pm

I would like to see something from them, yes. Even if not a rebate, I'd gladly take a pocket camera, which would mean they would have given me the same amount of equipment for my $3,000 as if I'd bought today.

I mean I waited 8 months after the missed release window for the camera after pre-ordering from the day it was announced. Then only a few months after finally getting the camera they drop the price by 33%. I know they don't "owe" me anything, but the experience as it has been hasnt made me feel awesome.

It would be awesome if they rewarded people in my boat for our patience and being early adopters...

kk5hy

PostWed Aug 14, 2013 6:18 pm

photostrobist wrote:I am very sad. had to have received my BMCcamera on Monday from BH and UPS people lost my shipping . nobody knows where my camera.

And i have a weeding this weekend. i dontknow what todo :shock:

I'm guessing that is a wedding this weekend, the other would be a legal issue. :)

I would say to use whatever camera you have now.
I'm sure you didn't book a wedding on the hopes to get the BM camera and learn how to use it in time for a wedding this weekend?

Jake

wytshark

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 5:11 am

Years ago, when the Canon XL1 was a big deal, I bought one. A month later there was a five hundred dollar price drop. Canon sent me a rebate check for the difference. Up until two months ago when I bought the Blackmagic Camera, I was a Canon devotee.

Not saying that Blackmagic owes everyone a thousand dollars, but they should throw a bone of some kind to the peeps who embraced their new camera flaws and all. Lets be honest, the BMCC is an amazing piece of hardware at even twice the price, but there are flaws and limitations to overcome and we jumped on board to support where you all were headed.

A $300 price drop, fine--cool, whatever. Even a $500 drop. But slashing the price by a third the cost immediately after the first wave of purchases feels like a bit of an insult. Sorry if that sounds like whining to those of you who DIDN'T purchase right away and now get this bomb camera for a pittance, but a thousand bucks is a thousand bucks. I've barely had the thing out of the box.

Jartanyon

PostSat Aug 24, 2013 1:37 pm

wytshark, you couldn't have said it any better.

I think what adopters find the hardest (including myself) is that we put our trust in BMD with their new adventure into cameras, but we were then let down over and over again (manufacturing delays, less than stellar communication, shipping delays, camera problems, etc.) and then the final blow of the 1k price drop. It is like investing without getting the full amount of your return.

In my opinion, a more business savvy approach would have been to offer a rebate for a BMPCC or some other piece of equipment. Not the entire cost of the item, but what their cost is to produce it. This would have worked out quite well for BMD not only financially as they would have broken even on the item (not costing them a dime), but also with customer relations as they would have retained/kept their new customer base from feeling mistreated.

Assembly

PostWed Sep 25, 2013 4:39 pm

We ordered the BMCC around June of 2012. Finally took delivery in December 2012. Six months later, the price drops by $1,000. Ouch. As a gesture of good faith and customer relations, I propose that Blackmagic Design provide us with an additional dongle for RESOLVE at no charge. Can anyone back me up here?

Steve DiMaggio

PostWed Sep 25, 2013 5:25 pm

sure send them all that footage you shot for the 6 months in exchange

hugh

PostWed Sep 25, 2013 5:27 pm

Assembly wrote:We ordered the BMCC around June of 2012. Finally took delivery in December 2012. Six months later, the price drops by $1,000. Ouch. As a gesture of good faith and customer relations, I propose that Blackmagic Design provide us with an additional dongle for RESOLVE at no charge. Can anyone back me up here?

Ha, if you had an additional dongle, you'd copy the disc, keep a dongle for yourself, and sell the original!
As someone who benefitted from the price drop, I think that this situation is just the chance you take when you decide to be an early adopter.

Though I will reference apple when the first iPhone came out (I was an early adopter), and like 3 months later the price dropped by $200; Apple gave all of us a $100 Apple store credit, which was great, but I wasn't expecting it. Things go on sale all the time, you just never know.

David Regenthal

PostWed Sep 25, 2013 6:26 pm

As a long time "early adopter" (multiple Panasonic, and other cameras), I always missed "the deal" the came into being months after I'd been enjoying the use of what I'd purchased.

Perhaps I'm different in some way but I pretty much knew, going in, that those camera would eventually drop in price or that there would be inducements (free P2 cards, pre-paid VISA cards, whatever) . . . and that Panasonic was a company, not a mythical spirit residing at the North Pole.

Point being that while I might wish I'd gotten to enjoy the benefit of the extras I realized that I couldn't have it both ways. It's pretty much a: You're first in line and get to pay the intro price (and enjoy the use of the product), or you wait for the deal (and, I don't know . . . wish you had the camera)?

This, and similar, threads started a long time back so my memory might not be all it should be but I kinda remember many of us empathizing with those that "just missed" the cut-off (but there has to be one doesn't there?). And while the comparison to Apple has surfaced with regularity, pretty much everyone else gets it . . . that you have to compare "apples to apples" not apples to oranges.

I do find it interesting when people suggest that BM should give them $1000 or similar value in software or equipment. On products that they can't get enough out the door to meet demand. Now that's funny!

You're a rare breed.
Windows 11 Pro
ASUSTek PRIME B660-PLUS D4 (LGA1700)
Intel i9-12900KF
128GB, nVidia RTX 4000
Samsung SSD 980 Pro 2TB (x3)

Dave Perry

PostWed Sep 25, 2013 6:33 pm

I bought the original HD Link for $995. A few months later they dropped the price to $495. Oh well. That's the way it goes.
BMUM 4.6k PL, S1H
----------------------------------------------
Dave Perry Cinematographer LLC
Director of Photography • Camera Operator
2046 High Tower Dr. Unit 1
Hollywood USA 90068
daveperry.net

Aaron Scheiner

PostWed Sep 25, 2013 7:47 pm

A 33% reduction, especially in the context of numerous firmware issues and new cameras is a disgusting way of rewarding your early adopter customers.

In future I will wait until BMD slashes the price on future cameras before buying... And even then I will think thrice before placing an order.
Previous

Return to Cinematography