Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jace Ross

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 12:23 am

I don't get it. Why does the price after your purchase affect you?
You've spent the money and been happy with your purchase (or unhappy and sold it on), so what does the price someone else pays have to do with you?

I like the price drop, may pick up a BMCC at some point.
BMPCC, FD Canon 28mm f2.8, Tokina 80-200mm F4, Tamron 70-300mm f4 C Canon J6x12 MFT SLR Magic 17mm T1.6, Sigma 19mm f2.8, Samyang 7.5mm f3.5
Rode VideoMic, Viewfactor Cage/Handle/Grip/Perspex backing

photostrobist

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 12:48 am

Ohh i bought a car in January and now I want to sell it and i lost some thousand dollars. but I'm happy because this is the same situation of thousands of people bought you car in january.

Jace Ross

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 1:09 am

photostrobist wrote:Ohh i bought a car in January and now I want to sell it and i lost some thousand dollars. but I'm happy because this is the same situation of thousands of people bought you car in january.

Bad purchasing choice. Cars and electronics devalue massively (with some exceptions)
BMPCC, FD Canon 28mm f2.8, Tokina 80-200mm F4, Tamron 70-300mm f4 C Canon J6x12 MFT SLR Magic 17mm T1.6, Sigma 19mm f2.8, Samyang 7.5mm f3.5

Rich Camp

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 2:21 am

I'm upset that my recent purchase has been devalued so quickly. If I could've purchased the camera for the price that it obviously was possible to sell it for, I could've bought more accessories and would have been an easier purchase for me. I extended myself financially to purchase this only to learn it's worth 60% of what I paid. =/

wfaqimandroid

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 4:52 am

I was very disappointed as well, just bought 1 week BMCC, immediately beaten by the BMC. firsts in terms of buying camera, after 6 months of waiting / queuing.
Videographer, 3D and 3D animation, work safety media consultant and video maker.

earl riddick

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 5:29 am

Jace Ross wrote:I don't get it. Why does the price after your purchase affect you?
You've spent the money and been happy with your purchase (or unhappy and sold it on), so what does the price someone else pays have to do with you?

its about the entire process from day one and the disrespect for there loyal customer base, not the price drop

HiKimProductions

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 7:54 am

Has anyone tried contacting them and complaining?

I do see the price drop as an overall good thing in and of itself, but it is inconsiderate to their loyal early customers (of which I am included). Furthermore, this isn't just one snub in a stellar history of good practice.

People have brought up Red and their price slashing, but to be fair, Red did offer credit on their products to those who recently purchased their cameras at the old price. It didn't make up the difference, but it was enough (plenty, in fact) to show that they thought about it. No one is accusing Blackmagic of ill-will. We're accusing them of negligence.

I myself am still a big fan of the company and what it's doing. I see it as the phase two of the dslr revolution, and I love my camera, which is a great value even at the original price. But I think that the company should at least acknowledge those who invested early: a two sentence thank you would calm many and a discount on future purchases would more than satisfy most, including myself.

There can be a win win with this. I can't imagine being alone in wanting to eventually own the Pocket and the Production camera when I can afford it. This whole experience has put a bitter flavor in my mouth, though and will certainly stop me from rushing to any of their products in the future. A vouchers or coupon is a very simple solution that would keep all of my money in their company and maintain good customer relations. It doesn't even have to be a huge discount. Just a simple, "thank you, come again."

Right now, it seems that they are just being inconsiderate and unappreciative.

That being said. I love the camera. It's wonderful. Again, I'm not criticizing the price drop, just the handling of their original customers. As of now, I'll keep coming back ONLY if nothing else better is out there, which luckily for them is still the case.

Again, has anyone tried contacting them? An official response would do quite a bit to quell some of us irritate folk, even if nothing monetary came out of it.

Jace Ross

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 8:31 am

jj tokenslot wrote:
Jace Ross wrote:I don't get it. Why does the price after your purchase affect you?

its about the entire process from day one and the disrespect for there loyal customer base, not the price drop

Uh huh, what's that supposed to mean?
How is it disloyal to lower your price after a products release? I honestly cannot believe the brat attitude of some people on here. As if their pre-order makes them loyalists that should get the lowest price possible for eternity. You pre-ordered a camera, you knew the price and unless you are a few cents short of a dollar (if you know what I mean) you'd understand that sales/discounts/price drops happen. When they happen is irrelevant.

Christoffer Glans

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 10:46 am

Jace Ross wrote:
jj tokenslot wrote:

How is it disloyal to lower your price after a products release? I honestly cannot believe the brat attitude of some people on here. As if their pre-order makes them loyalists that should get the lowest price possible for eternity. You pre-ordered a camera, you knew the price and unless you are a few cents short of a dollar (if you know what I mean) you'd understand that sales/discounts/price drops happen. When they happen is irrelevant.

And I cannot believe that people don't understand that it's not about the usual technological price drop that everything has, it's about the price drop of a camera so delayed that some have just recieved it. So when they happen is absolutely relevant. Comparing to other price drops for other cameras is just plain dumb since they've been out on the market for a while. People preordered this camera and then had to keep up with waiting for a ridiculously long time before recieving their camera and then the price was dropped by a huge amount, not just a little discount.

The whole process has been so disrespectful against the pre-ordering customers. While it's good for newcomers, the customer base, the ones who believe in the company are the ones who got screwed, which is a big no no for any company. Loyal customers who believe in you are the ones that should be treated well, otherwise it will undermine any attemt to positively marketing a product.

Having a group of loyal customers that believe in you will be better then any marketing attemt, ever.

Jace Ross

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 11:27 am

ConstantProduction wrote:
Jace Ross wrote:Uh huh, what's that supposed to mean?

And I cannot believe that people don't understand that it's not about the usual technological price drop that everything has, it's about the price drop of a camera so delayed that some have just recieved it. So when they happen is absolutely relevant. Comparing to other price drops for other cameras is just plain dumb since they've been out on the market for a while. People preordered this camera and then had to keep up with waiting for a ridiculously long time before recieving their camera and then the price was dropped by a huge amount, not just a little discount.

The whole process has been so disrespectful against the pre-ordering customers. While it's good for newcomers, the customer base, the ones who believe in the company are the ones who got screwed, which is a big no no for any company. Loyal customers who believe in you are the ones that should be treated well, otherwise it will undermine any attemt to positively marketing a product.

Having a group of loyal customers that believe in you will be better then any marketing attemt, ever.

I still don't buy it. How is it different than going to a store, buying a new PC and going back 1 month later to see it dropped by 50%. Yeah it sucks you didn't time it right for maximum value but you'd have to either be a fool or a first timer in the pre-order realm to think you're getting the best price with a pre-order. Hell, I remember pre-ordering a game (Mirror's Edge) for PC some time ago and within a month it was on sale for $4 after paying $98 for it. That sucked to see but I'm sensible and rational enough to see that wasn't a slight against me and I got my $98 value, just because someone else can buy it for less doesn't devalue it for me and those that took up that opportunity can now share my passion for the game.

People come onto this forum with such a pessimistic attitude, it's sad, really. I'd rather just talk camera.

Richard Oakes

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 11:49 am

Exactly! I have pre ordered a ps4 it is expensive and I know it will drop drastically in price once the pre orders are covered. I won't cry about it! I know you always pay through the nose for a pre order.
Richard Oakes.

Clwells

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 12:28 pm

I finally got my camera on Thursday the First of AUGUST. That's what, a day before they announced the price drop?! I placed my order on January 26th waiting for the MFT but decided to go ahead and get an EF as they were saying none were even in Australia yet. Needless to say I am extremely upset. I want my money back or the $1000 bucks haven't even used the camera yet as I have to buy canon lenses and wait for those to arrive as I have always used Nikon.

Clwells

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 12:42 pm

Jace Ross wrote:
photostrobist wrote:Ohh i bought a car in January and now I want to sell it and i lost some thousand dollars. but I'm happy because this is the same situation of thousands of people bought you car in january.

Bad purchasing choice. Cars and electronics devalue massively (with some exceptions)

Mine devalued 33.3 percent 1 day after receiving it.

Jacob Pattinson

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 12:45 pm

really hope they don't pull the percentage of other products crap other companies do when this happens.

got my camera a month ago and i am a student struggling for money and for this company to do this is just a slap in the face :x

i have sent a email in and i suggest all you do the same

Clwells

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 12:48 pm

jeremyhyler wrote:i want the rebate, i just got my camera 9 days ago and this is really wrong.

I feel your pain.

Got mine one day before price drop.

Clwells

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 12:56 pm

woodybrando wrote:Here's the real question, when do the $1,995 2.5k cameras ship?
:)

I got my camera just one day before the price drop. If don't get 1000 can't I just ship my $2995 camera back and ordering the $1995 one instead? Its unused because I was forced to buy Canon lenses so I am waiting on those to arrive before I can even use the EF. Easier to just give me the credit than go through all that admin work. There has to be some law saying somewhere that I am within my rights to do this. This is how class action lawsuits get started isn't it?

Dustin Uy

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 12:59 pm

Just an update, my 1000 $ has been refunded by my dealer. Hope everyone in the same situation got to get a refund

Chris Quevedo

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 3:22 pm

Jace Ross wrote:
jj tokenslot wrote:

that's getting a bit unkind there. if people feel disappointed then we don't need to be rude to them. i also don't fully understand the mentality, but that doesn't mean we have to be like this :-(

Jace Ross

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 10:53 pm

Clwells wrote:
Jace Ross wrote:

Mine devalued 33.3 percent 1 day after receiving it.

Were you planning on selling it the day after you got it? If not, what difference does it make?

Alexander Arndt

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 10:56 pm

Just an update, my 1000 $ has been refunded by my dealer. Hope everyone in the same situation got to get a refund

could you state date of purchase and dealer ?

Willzee

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 11:27 pm

My order was shipped the day after the price announcement and they said that I'm not entitled to the price reduction. Just sent another email explaining my point of view seein whether I can get a refund.

Matt Pritchard

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 11:49 pm

Blackmagic just lost a lot of customers.

Darryl Gregory

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 11:58 pm

Matt Pritchard wrote:Blackmagic just lost a lot of customers.

That is hilarious :D , and so fitting under the circumstances, With all the complaints screaming and threatening at BMD it is falling on deaf ears because sales for the EF/MFT just went through the roof
after the price drop.

Now I'm not laughing at anyone who feels ripped off, I'm laughing because you're not being heard. :roll:

Dustin Uy

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 1:24 am

Adorama. Purchased a week ago

bhook

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 1:29 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:
Matt Pritchard wrote:Blackmagic just lost a lot of customers.

That is hilarious :D , and so fitting under the circumstances, With all the complaints screaming and threatening at BMD it is falling on deaf ears because sales for the EF/MFT just went through the roof
after the price drop.

Now I'm not laughing at anyone who feels ripped off, I'm laughing because you're not being heard. :roll:

Don't forget what happened to Moe at the end of that episode. Karma's a what? ;)

David Jorgensen

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 3:06 am

Laugh all you want but this will come back to haunt them. They aren't as innovative as people seem to think and there will be competitors in the same price range in the near future. That's one reason for the massive price decrease. And you can bet people will drop blackmagic in a heartbeat as soon as other options are available. Whereas if they had shown the slightest bit of courtesy and appreciation for their early adopters they would now have a fiercely loyal base. Look at how Netflix destroyed a very loyal base with similar (and far less grievous) contempt for their customers.

All they needed to do was post a few messages saying they appreciated people's patience during shipping delays and thanking them for their business. They never did that a single time in the months and months people waited. They have also never acknowledged the bugs in the camera or committed to fix them. And every other company that institutes a large price cut (RED, Apple, etc.) always offer a rebate or credit for customers who have recently purchased at the old price. BM hasn't even acknowledged any of these issues, much less done anything to make up for it.

Joseph Hung

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 3:53 am

1 year after announcement and just receiving the cameras, I could totally understand the depreciation of a $100 - $200 or so drop in price. But I think $1000 is a lot in such a short time that people have had the units, and is a big enough difference that it would affect how people make decisions on spending money on gear. I can see a $1000 drop 2-4 years from now, like many other cameras and how they depreciate currently. I just got my BMCC EF merely 3 months ago, and paid up front almost a year ago. That stings. I don't think that's fair. I think resale is an important factor in how we buy gear, much like cars and houses etc. I'm often selling older gear to get newer or upgraded gear because it makes perfect sense, and usually I gauge when the optimal time to resell would be depending on depreciation patterns.
A compromise from BMD would be a fair trade off. Not necessarily a rebate, because money has been spent, I make it and I spend it, moving on. But something to show their dedication to a worldwide community of supporters that help in their development and evolution as a camera manufacturer would be appreciated.

eyeiaye

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 4:24 am

Has everybody checked with their credit card companies. Most cards have purchase protection because most of us do live in a free market, and that is how the cookie crumbles here. It worked for me in the past.
-eyeiaye

Lorenzo Straight

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 5:16 am

The price drop proves yet again that BMD are not in it for the money alone. Thank goodness. I remember being disappointed when Red finally released, Scarlet. From $3,000 to more than $15,000 (working camera). My heart literally melted. Now, my heart sings. Now, if we can get a little HFR love.
MSI GS60 Ghost Pro-4K-605-2.7 GHz Intel Core i7-5700HQ (Broadwell)-16GB of 1600 MHz DDR3L RAM-1TB 7200 rpm HDD + 128GB M.2 SSD-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M GPU (6GB GDDR5)-15.6" UHD + 4K IPS Display-3840 x 2160
-Windows 8.1

Clwells

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 7:56 am

dustinuy wrote:Just an update, my 1000 $ has been refunded by my dealer. Hope everyone in the same situation got to get a refund

Did you get yours yet? They need to be clear about the cut off for 1000 rebates because I got mine within 24 hours of the announcement and after 6 months of waiting and getting it just one day before the price drop is extremely dodgy.

CLWELLS

John Bartman

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 8:52 am

One can't help thinking that the BMCC is being discontinude, maybe because of the sensor.
If this is so, all of you wondering which camera to get, get one now while you can, the sensor is sublime!

The 4k and pocket are, as yet, unproven, in fact even Grant said in an interview that neither of the new CAMs are as cinematic and sharp as the CINEMA cam.

Steve Martin

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 9:06 am

When people say they are emailing the company
Which email addresses are they using.
The ones on the company offices worldwide page?
I emailed Stuart Ashton in the Europe office and just want to make sure we are all on the same page.
In fact I emailed on Friday and as yet no response.
Anyone got a reply yet?
If anyone does, please post here so we can get a picture of the kind of response to expect.

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 9:10 am

John Bartman wrote:One can't help thinking that the BMCC is being discontinude, maybe because of the sensor.
If this is so, all of you wondering which camera to get, get one now while you can, the sensor is sublime!

The 4k and pocket are, as yet, unproven, in fact even Grant said in an interview that neither of the new CAMs are as cinematic and sharp as the CINEMA cam.

Isn't the pocket camera using a windowed version of the BMCC's sensor, only the BMPC uses an all new one.

I'd be surprised if the BMCC was discontinued before a more direct replacement in the range appeared. Neither the BMPCC or BMPC really offer that at the moment. A BMCC Mk2 possibly.

THe price drop looks like a combination of development costs having been covered and manufacturing processes being refined.

Some sort of rebate or goodwill gesture to those who purchased just before the price drop would be nice ,but this isn't as simple a task as for Apple or RED, who's support and sales pipelines are much more controlled (and often direct from them) which simplifies the logistics massively for such a program.

I should also point out that there was still an almighty howl of rage about the RED price drops, even with those who had purchased within a certain time limit having a fair whack to spend on extra accessories. Really even sans that this seems tame.

John Bartman

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 11:13 am

You are probably right,
I just love whats coming off of this particular sensor

Jace Ross

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 11:40 am

Chris Daniel wrote:
Jace Ross wrote:

that's getting a bit unkind there. if people feel disappointed then we don't need to be rude to them. i also don't fully understand the mentality, but that doesn't mean we have to be like this :-(

I'm not sure what you mean, I never intended to be rude. Just honest. If it was a bit blunt, that was intentional, I'd like people to see how absurd they are acting from an outside perspective.

John Bartman

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 12:07 pm

Its not what they have done, but its the way they did it, in regards to all those people who got interessted and supported BM, paid up front and waited for a year.

But i suppose the markets big enough to not care. Thats pure and effective capitalism, which is fine, but please BM spare us the bullxxx about "empowering the people", cause its beginning to backfire.

David Chapman

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 1:14 pm

If you bought your camera recently, make use of your retailer's 14-day or 30-day return policy. Some retailers have up to a 45-day return policy. Get your money back and then buy it again.

It's not BMD's job to make sure you got the best deal on their camera. Some people paid $4500 for the BMCC on Amazon from scalpers last year. I paid $3000 for mine and I'm not complaining. My only thought now is getting another BMCC as a b cam instead of the pocket.
David Chapman
Just another creative dude with a camera.

Richard Oakes

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 1:42 pm

The shop I pre ordered the Pocket camera on is charging £800 for it. I saw on other pre orders that they are charging £70 less in other stores. Ahh well thats life. I'm not gonna cancel my pre order and cry about it I think it is worth the price I am gonna pay for it.
Richard Oakes.

John Bartman

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 3:20 pm

dustinuy wrote:
Andrew Reid wrote:Let's hear some sympathy from Blackmagic people right now on these forums for the customers who got in early and ordered, only to wait patiently for months... Let's hear some sympathy for those early adopters and customers who had their camera delivered only weeks before the price drop, after a long wait. C'mon. Those are your most loyal customers Grant. They trusted your vision way before those sitting on the fence were pushed into action by a big price drop.

Fact is a lot of these people are upset and feel distrustful, and that needs fixing.

Sadly Andrew, there will be no fix.
There is another market strategy in place ...

David Jorgensen

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 4:54 pm

Its not what they have done, but its the way they did it, in regards to all those people who got interessted and supported BM, paid up front and waited for a year.

But i suppose the markets big enough to not care. Thats pure and effective capitalism, which is fine, but please BM spare us the bullxxx about "empowering the people", cause its beginning to backfire.

Exactly. The email about the price cut being "one of the proudest moments in my life" made me roll my eyes and showed just how out of touch BM is with its customers. Maybe they should have worked less hard over the last year to "make the camera at a lower cost" and instead worked harder to deliver it on time and working as advertised. And maybe spend a little money on customer relations and service.

harvey1

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 6:20 pm

Good to see that there are a lot of other unhappy customers complaining about the poor decision to reduce price 1/3rd after delaying the shipment over 7 months. Some of the comments are positive affirmations, but this is not acceptable behavior. I'm sure Canon, Sony, etc. are saying "I told you so" right now. Buyer beware. You are better off waiting on buying any Blackmagic cameras for a couple of years until the company gets their act together. If you buy the 4K today, it'll most likely be half the price in a year. Try selling your used camera at those prices.

hijodeibn

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 7:08 pm

Hi Guys,
I am really sorry to hear this price drop from nowhere and not even a word about rebate for early adopters who actually wait months to get their cameras, I can feel your pain!!!......I totally agree with the complains......I am just so happy I finally droped the idea to go for a BM camera and got a battle tested red one for a little more but also with more spects.
Let's hope BM will have some respect for their customers and give them a discount for future hardware.
Regards!

Hans Engstrom

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 7:58 pm

Jorgdick wrote:
Hans Engstrom wrote:If you don´t want to risk loosing money on gear, budget on rental equipment when you agree to a job and rent everything. The last "pro" camera I owned was a Aaton LTR54 and it didn´t loose any value for several years and then within a year it lost almost all the value, I knew that was going to happen and I wasn´t angry.

I was initially going to wait and see what the 4K camera had to offer but as the 4k is EF only (so far) so it would have been far from perfect for my needs anyhow so I ordered the BMCC mft today. The BMCC is so cheap right now that it pays for itself with just a couple of days work. I was going to buy resolve anyway so the camera is a steal.

regards
Hans Engstrom

Hope you like your new camera can you confirm that RESOLVE software still comes packaged with the BMCC?

It was listed in the ad so it should be. I will receive the camera in the end of the week or next week as I ordered from US. Prices are still not lowered here in Sweden and the mft is almost impossible to get hold of.

Regards
Hans Engstrom
1st AC
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1357950/

Christine Peterson

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 10:15 pm

Jorgdick wrote:
Hans Engstrom wrote:If you don´t want to risk loosing money on gear, budget on rental equipment when you agree to a job and rent everything. The last "pro" camera I owned was a Aaton LTR54 and it didn´t loose any value for several years and then within a year it lost almost all the value, I knew that was going to happen and I wasn´t angry.

I was initially going to wait and see what the 4K camera had to offer but as the 4k is EF only (so far) so it would have been far from perfect for my needs anyhow so I ordered the BMCC mft today. The BMCC is so cheap right now that it pays for itself with just a couple of days work. I was going to buy resolve anyway so the camera is a steal.

regards
Hans Engstrom

Hope you like your new camera can you confirm that RESOLVE software still comes packaged with the BMCC?

Yes, the full Resolve software still comes with each purchase of a Blackmagic Cinema Camera.
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

eyeiaye

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 11:51 pm

Christine Peterson wrote:
Jorgdick wrote:

regards
Hans Engstrom

Yes, the full Resolve software still comes with each purchase of a Blackmagic Cinema Camera.

Is this upgradable to version 10 when it comes out?
-eyeiaye

rick.lang

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 1:27 am

eyeiaye wrote:Is this upgradable to version 10 when it comes out?

Yes!

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Wander Andringa

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 1:52 am

Not happy about this. At all...
I just got the camera for one month (since its only available for only 2 months here in The Netherlands).
Darn.

Dustin Uy

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 3:44 am

Clwells wrote:
dustinuy wrote:Just an update, my 1000 $ has been refunded by my dealer. Hope everyone in the same situation got to get a refund

Did you get yours yet? They need to be clear about the cut off for 1000 rebates because I got mine within 24 hours of the announcement and after 6 months of waiting and getting it just one day before the price drop is extremely dodgy.

CLWELLS

Well mine didnt turn to cash but store credit.
Ill use it on my pocket cam which i was getting anyway. Hope everyones got the refund.

Jacob Pattinson

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 9:28 am

dustinuy wrote:
Clwells wrote:

CLWELLS

Well mine didnt turn to cash but store credit.
Ill use it on my pocket cam which i was getting anyway. Hope everyones got the refund.

my reseller never got a email from BMCC so they will not refund it

harvey1

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 12:25 pm

I think that someone in the marketing at BM needs to be replaced. They ought to recruit a V.P. from a major consumer giant who has experience with consumer products. This often happens where a young company has people who are friends or friends of the family. But, once you reach a certain size you need to go out and get the best and most experienced people out there. BM has a real chance to become a giant consumer company, but they are on the path of blowing that up by blowing the relationships with their best customers. This shows how badly they need to do some personnel changes. Every small-medium sized company eventually reaches this point. In the meantime, BUYER BEWARE.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography