BMCC MFT with Panasonic MFT Lens.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Dave Reid

BMCC MFT with Panasonic MFT Lens.

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 11:39 pm

So I am confused, call me stupid if you want (just don't call me before noon on the weekend). How does one control the iris on a Panasonic MFT Lens on the BMCC with an MFT mount. They don't have an iris ring, and there is no adapter to provide this function as it is already an MFT lens. I plan to use my mostly Pentax film lens for which there is a good Pentax K Mount to MFT adapter with an Iris ring but would also like to use some of the Panasonic MFT lens.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Re: BMCC MFT with Panasonic MFT Lens.

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 4:23 am

Dave Reid wrote:So I am confused, call me stupid if you want (just don't call me before noon on the weekend). How does one control the iris on a Panasonic MFT Lens on the BMCC with an MFT mount. They don't have an iris ring, and there is no adapter to provide this function as it is already an MFT lens. I plan to use my mostly Pentax film lens for which there is a good Pentax K Mount to MFT adapter with an Iris ring but would also like to use some of the Panasonic MFT lens.

Panasonic m43 lenses require an electronic m43 lens mount (including electrical contacts). The BMCC m43 has a passive lens mount that has no electrical contacts.

The BMCC m43 is designed for use with fully manual lenses, such as manual "native" m43 lenses by Voightlander, and "adapted" PL-mount cine lenses, legacy Nikkor and Canon FD full-frame SLR lenses, (and many others), via passive lens mount adapters -- none of which require an electronic m43 lens mount.

There is at least one 3rd party lens mount adapter for m43 that supports lenses designed for use on Canon EOS cams. The adapter provides power to the EOS-type lens (to support focus, IS, etc.) and includes buttons to enable control over aperture. This adapter can be used on the BMCC m43. But no such adapter is available to support electronic m43 lenses on a passive m43 mount.

So, although an electronic Panasonic m43 lens can physically mount on a BMCC m43, the lens won't function (no control over aperture, focus, and in some case, no zoom).

Return to Cinematography